Chapter 7- Ruins and Recover
401 2 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Underdark- Unending Abyss Region
Eternal Night- Upper City

"On three, push!' I nodded my head absently as I set the bar and felt the others do the same. 'One...two...three!!!" the man shouted out and I grunted as I threw my weight behind the iron bar. Between the three of us, the stone shifted and arms darted under it to pull the bloody form from under the wreckage. 

I looked over at the Sergeant. "How we doing James?" I asked the man causing him to look around. 

"I think we got everyone out that still resided here. From what people said, only a few people still lived here after the siege, the building was just too unstable.' the man replied as he looked around. 'We just have too much work to do. Work crews are going as fast as they can and everyone is helping, but still, there is so much left to do." the man absently commented as I heard a chirp in my ear and I focused on my HUD. I had less than an hour left before I had to log out. 

"As much as I wish to stay and help, I have about an hour before I have to go back to my world. Sorry." I told the other Vampire causing a startled expression to flash across his face, then he broke into laughter.

After a few moments, he regained control of himself and clapped me on the shoulder. "I forgot for a moment you were an Immortal. Get out of here Jacob, when you come back don't forget to come spar with us guards, you are more than welcome." the big man stated before moving off. 

"So are we done?" I looked over at Ezekiel who was covered in dust and grim just like me. 

"Why, not used to hard labor?' I asked the Rogue and spymaster as I started walking again. 'We are stopping at the Parthenon quickly, then we will head to Shadows Fall. Ok?" I asked him and the other Vampire let out an odd sound that was equal parts groan and snarl. 

"You are stubborn and...GAHHH...You have had one threat against you and when you hear trouble, you run towards it. Why?" Ezekiel got out finally and I laughed lightly. 

"When the building collapsed, it was readily apparent what had happened. As far as those idiots earlier, you refuse to talk about it or explain why anyone would be interested in me or why anyone would think I would be involved in politics. So ready to explain yet?' I asked him and he ignored me so I gave a small nod. 'I don't move blindly and I assess a situation and make a decision based on what I know." I told him before doing my best to knock the dirt and dust off my clothing and noticed a couple of notifications waiting for me so I brought them up.

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Recovery Efforts!

Notice: You assisted the people of Eternal Night that had been trapped in the collapsed apartment building and managed to help save (50) people. You have received 500 Experience, +2,000 Bonus Experience, +50 Renown, your Reputation with the people of Eternal Night has increased.

<<<>>>

Skill Name: Conditioning
Skill Level: 2
Skill Type: Passive
Effect 1: Pain felt due to effort, status effects, or injuries is reduced by 4%.
Range: N/A
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A

<<<>>>

1 X Level up!

You have (20) unassigned Attribute Points. Attribute Points can be assigned at any time.

You have (3) unassigned Skill Points. Skill Points can be assigned at any time. 

<<<>>>

I read the information and dismissed it. "So why are people living in buildings that should be condemned?" I asked Ezekiel as we walked up the gradual sloping hill. 

"While the city still looks bad, it is a hundred times better than where it was six months ago when we first woke up. As far as to why they were in a building like that, we don't have enough intact buildings for the survivors. Reconstruction efforts are ongoing, but it will take time." Ezekiel explained as he scanned our surroundings constantly. 

"WAIT UP!' was yelled at us from behind and Ezekiel turned and placed his hands on his daggers but relaxed as we watched a large Orc come running up to us. 'I saw everything you did to help back there. Thank you Elder, I assume he is the one that woke all of us up?" he asked Ezekiel.

"Yes Oren, this is Jacob Longstrider. What do you want?" Ezekiel asked the man as he continued to study me.

He bowed slightly after a moment, "With everything going on, we also need to rebuild more than the city. I am Oren Dulkem, leader of what remains of the Dark Templars here in Eternal Night. You have the potential within you to become one of us and if you want, I can awake the Dark Spark and train you as a Dark Templar. Only if you want though, being a Dark Templar is a calling and not for everyone." the man stated and I glanced at Ezekiel who shrugged.

This would be a perfect balance for all those Paladins and Templar assholes that used Light-based magic. No matter what Specialization I ended up with, I would be their natural opposite. "Ok, what do I do?" I asked the Orc causing him to give me a tooth-filled smile as he placed a hand on my shoulder and then the other grabbed my forearm, like a handshake. 

"Brace yourself, this can be...jarring.' the Orc got out before he started to murmur words as his eyes flared with black and purple energy. It felt like I was doused in ice water and I shivered in response, but as suddenly as it began, it ended causing me to stagger slightly but both Ezekiel and Oren put a steadying hand on me. 'For now, I live at the Keep. Once the Chapter House is repaired I will be moving back there, so seek me out there. Any of the servants will know where I am." Oren told me before striding away back towards the ruble to help with the efforts there. I pulled up the notifications waiting for me.

<<<>>>

Ability Name: Dark Spark 
Ability Level: 1
Ability Type: Passive
Description: Only a handful of beings possess the inborn Dark Spark needed to harness the ancient power of the Umbra. Fewer still have that inborn talent unlocked. With Dark Spark unlocked, you now can draw on the Umbra and learn a restricted class of Shadow-based skills. 
Effect 1: Umbra unlocked. 
Effect 2: Increase the Effects and Damage of Shadow-Based Skills and Spells by 3% per Dark Spark Level. (Current= 3%)
Range: N/A
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Dark Awakening

Description: Seek out Oren Dulkem in Shadows Fall Keep, he will give you instructions and train you on being a Dark Templar and guidance on seeking at Specialization. 

Quest Class: Class-Based; Rare

Quest Difficulty: Easy

Success: Find Oren Dulkem and begin your training as a Dark Templar

Failure: Do not find Oren Dulkem and begin your training as a Dark Templar

Rewards: 10,000 Experience, Class Change Dark Templar, Various Class Specializations, Unknown

Accept? Yes or No

<<<>>>

I accepted the Quest without a second thought, I needed a Class, and no matter what this would give me an edge. "So, you do have some military strength left. How many people survived the siege?" I asked the other Vampire.

"We are not sure, but this city used to house over a hundred thousand people. Now we believe it is about one-tenth of that, and of those survivors, there might be two thousand Vampires all told." Ezekiel replied grimly and it was a very dark assessment. Ninety percent of the population dead from a war almost two thousand years ago, but for them, it just happened a little over six months ago. 

"You realize the people that did this are long dead right?' I asked him and he gave me a slight nod. 'Their decedents probably still exist, but two thousand years have passed. Some of the cities and nations that fought you, probably don't even exist anymore. You all have a new chance at life, take it. Not many people get a second chance." I told him and Ezekiel grimaced.

"On an intellectual level, I understand and agree with you. Yet we all not only lost family, friends, and our nation but also two thousand years. This is going to take some time to get used to and grow to accept. It will not happen overnight." he responded and I frowned.

"Then give them and yourself something that will keep you too busy to think of what you lost.' I told him as I pointed around us. 'You have a whole city to rebuild. You are in the Underdark, no one knows you are here, so your anonymity and remoteness are your first defenses. Rebuild, gather your strength and when the time comes, let the world know that we still exist and will not be forgotten despite what the Light did." I advised him as we crested a small rise and I saw the Parthenon of Eternal Night for the first time. 

The building was a large square building, crafted from white marble, gilded in certain places, and despite everything, the invaders had done, like the library they had not touched the place. It is one thing to sack a city, it's another to attack a Temple of All Gods. While individual temples were widespread, there were too many for every individual god or goddess to have them in a city, thus the existence of a Parthenon or better known as the Temple of All Gods.

Every major city and capital had one no matter what Race, even if they were not worshipped, they were still represented. It was holy ground and the Priests and Paladins of the various gods insured no one abused anyone within the walls. Not to mention all the defenses the various gods put into the places. "I guess the invaders were not stupid enough to try and attack this place?" I absently asked as we walked closer to the huge building. 

Ezekiel snorted in amusement, "They were self-righteous zealots, assholes, and idiots, but they were led well, and as stupid as they were, they were not dumb enough to attack the Parthenon.' the man replied as we stopped outside the entrance. I was hesitant to go in being covered in dirt and grime but the other Vampire pushed me inside anyway. 'You came all this way, you might as well go in anyways." he told me as he smiled at my worry.

"Hey, if they get angry I am blaming you," I told the Rogue earning a laugh. Greek-style columns lined the inside, at each a brazier was lit to provide illumination and like all things, a little bit of magic was used on the building itself because the inside was bigger than the outside. Dozens of alcoves with the altar's lining the great hall, only big-named gods received whole rooms dedicated to their service. 

I smiled as I spied one icon I was looking for and started walking towards it. Giving thanks was never inappropriate and might gain you a small Buff at best, at worse you were ignored. Either way, I wasn't going to piss off a god or goddess by not giving them the credit they were due.

13