Chapter 13- Excuses and Decisions
323 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Underdark- Unending Abyss Region
Eternal NightUpper City
Shadow's Fall Keep

"Well, what was the ambush all about?" I asked Talia before taking a sip of the tea in front of me.

Talia grimaced, "It's internal politics, even with the current situation, the various Houses will still make moves. You see our society is loosely based on the Human nobility model. All Elders are automatically considered nobility within our society, but not all of the nobility are Elders. After the war, many of the Houses were wiped out or their leadership died in the fighting.' Talia explained and I glanced at Drax and the Orc gave me a slight nod. 'The Houses are also broken into two distinct parts, the original nine Houses led by my House Lightsbane that was said to be founded by the First, and all the other Houses founded after Eternal Night was claimed by our people." the Queen explained.

"I assume the original Houses are loyal to you and it is the younger Houses causing problems?" I asked and she gave a small nod.

"While there is discontent among the High Houses, the original Houses, they would never act so overtly.' Talia explained as I absorbed the information as quickly as I could. 'No unity is what we need right now and the High Houses agree that much with me, so they will do nothing to undercut me. Attacking you, even with Thralls, is seen as such an act. Ezekiel is trying to find out which of the Lower Houses was behind it, but it will take time." Talia replied and I accepted her response, but why would they be worried about me entering the political arena? I was still missing something, I just didn't know what.

"Ok, that explains some things, but does not explain why they would be worried about me entering Vampire politics? I am a nobody and have been awake and a Vampire for a very short time. It's laughable they think I am a threat" I told her and she looked away.

"I am thinking of appointing you to one of the vacant positions within the Court. I have not decided one way or the other yet, but I am considering it.' she replied and I frowned but accepted her response. 'Now if you will excuse me, I have to get going." the other Vampire stated before rising and leaving quickly, Isiah on her heels like a hound or dog, but since he was a personal bodyguard I wasn't surprised.

As soon as the door was closed June pipped up, "You know she was lying, right?" the Drow asked and I snorted in amusement.

I looked at her, a smile playing across my face. "Want to tell me water is wet also?" I asked her and a confused look flashed across her face. 'Yes, I know she was lying, but about what and why, I don't know. Drax, got any input here?" I asked the Orc causing him to shift uncomfortable with the question or subject, I was unsure.

"House politics, Thralls are usually protected and hidden from such events.' Drax responded clearly troubled. 'If Thralls were used to send a message, then I have no doubt it was one of the younger Houses. They are uncouth, unrefined, and not the best example of your Race and therefore none of them have been elevated to a High House since their inspection." Drax replied, his discomfort growing as the words continued to spill from his lips.

"Wonderful...Well, I got a few things to deal with today. I need to track down some books from the City Planners office and I need to go get some better armor. Finally, I can Enthrall one more person today, do either one of you have a recommendation?" I asked them and June shook her head while Drax nodded his head and relaxed as he was talking about something he was comfortable speaking about.

"You need someone willing to fight, correct?' the Orc asked and I nodded my head. 'How would you feel like having a Pyromancer join your ranks?" the Orc asked and I shrugged my shoulders.

"As they understand the dangers and won't run away, I have no problem with a Pyromancer. Go grab him and we will talk and see if the Pyromancer is a good fit.' I told the Orc causing him to smile. 'June you are welcome to come along or stay behind. It is up to you, until I get done talking to Draxs friend I won't be going anywhere." I told her and I noticed the Orc glare at the Drow causing her to fidget.

"I will be in my room. When you decide to go, I will come. Happy?" she asked the Orc causing Drax to snort in amusement before dragging her off as he headed for the door. I brought up my Interface and panned over to the General Skill Trees. I had unlocked the Heavy Armor Skill, so I had access to the Skill Tree. With the weight and constant drain upon my Stamina while in combat, I was interested in negating some of the disadvantages if possible. I also needed more offensive power, which I currently lacked so Bladed Weapons Skill Tree was also on my list.

None of the General Skill Trees were very large, but they did provide some key benefits. The base ability for heavy armor was called Walking Mountain which reduced the weight of heavy armor while increasing the wearers' Attack and Movement Speed for every piece of heavy armor worn. It was also the only ability I could unlock at the moment so I invested one Skill Point into it before switching over to the Bladed Weapons Skill Tree.

Like the Heavy Armor Skill Tree, I had unlocked access to only the most basic Skill, Tactical Blow. It boosted both damage and critical hit chance, with only the minimal cost of twenty Stamina. Beyond that were two other Abilities I wanted, but until my Bladed Weapons Skill increased they were still locked to me, Tactical Blow got a Skill Point and I panned over to the Harbinger Skill Tree.

    Harbinger Skill Tree...    
  Shadow Bolt (Initiate)  Charge of the Dark (Initiate)  Umbra Embrace (Initiate)   
Shadow Strike (Unlocked) Dread Presence (Unlocked)   Shadow Aura (Unlocked) Umbra Potential (Unlocked)
Bog of Plagued Shadows (Locked, Required Level 15) Shadow Armor (Locked, Required Level 15)   Shadow Forge (Locked, Required Level 15) Umbra Strength (Locked, Required Level 20)
Shadow Flame (Locked, Required Level 25) Sense Intent (Locked, Required Level 25) Dark Light (Locked, Required Level 30) Dark Strength (Locked, Required Level 25) Umbra Unlimited (Locked, Required Level 30)
Dark Blast (Locked, Required Level 35)   Dark Storm (Locked, Required Level 50)   Umbra Resurgence (Locked, Required Level 40)

The Class Skill Tree was broken into four main branches, one dedicated totally to Passives that boosted all of my Regenerations, none of them would get more than one Skill Point though. I had a branch dedicated to supporting spells, boosting defenses, damage, and Attributes. The third branch boosted a Harbinger's ability to tank and their ability to survive the heat of battle. The fourth branch was all offensive spells.

After some thought and reading of the various skills available to unlock, each of them got one Skill Point and Shadow Bolt earned another Skill Point as well before I closed the Harbinger Skill Tree as I reviewed the new information from all my new Abilities and Skills.

Spoiler

General Skill Trees...

Bladed Weapons...
Ability Name: Tactical Blow
Ability Level: Initiate
Ability Type: Active
Ability Description: Bladed Weapons are more about precision and speed, not just brutal damage.
Effect 1: Increase the Damage of the next attack by 25%.
Effect 2: Increase Critical Hit Chance by 20%.
Effect 3: 20% Chance that enemies will suffer Bloodletting Debuff decreasing their Health Regeneration by 20%. (Duration 30 Seconds)
Range: Melee
Cast Time: Instant
Cost: 20 Stamina
Cooldown: 30 Seconds

Heavy Armor...
Ability Name: Walking Mountain
Ability Level: Initiate
Ability Type: Passive
Ability Description: You might not be a mountain, but with all that armor on you, some will mistake you for it. Heavy Armor is, well heavy, so with this Skill, you have learned to grow more accustomed to its weight and can wear it more easily.
Damage: N/A
Effect 1: Decrease Heavy Armor Weight by 20%.
Effect 2: +1% Attack/Movement Speed per Heavy Armor piece Equipped. (Current: )
AoE: N/A
Range: N/A
Cast Time: N/A
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A

Harbinger Skill Tree...
Skill Name: Umbra Potential
Skill Level: Initiate
Skill Type: Passive
Skill Description: Draw on the ever-present power of the Umbra to restore your Spirit from the strains of battle and spell casting.
Damage: N/A
Effect 1: Increase Spirit Regeneration by 15%.
Range: N/A
Duration: N/A
Cast Time: N/A
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A

Skill Name: Shadow Aura
Skill Level: Initiate
Skill Type: Active
Skill Description: As a Harbinger, you can infuse yourself with the Shadow energy, strengthening yourself and nearby allies. At higher levels, you will deal constant damage to nearby enemies and even disrupt them from using their Skills and Abilities.
Damage: N/A
Effect 1: +30% Chance to ignore Light Debuffs.
Effect 2: +20% Resistance to Light Damage. (Self)
Effect 3: +10% Resistance to Light Damage. (Allies) 
AoE: 5 Yards
Range: Self
Duration: Until Cancelled
Cast Time: Instant
Cost: Initial 100 Spirit, Duration 5 Spirit per Second
Cooldown: N/A

Skill Name: Dread Presence
Skill Level: Initiate
Skill Type: Passive/Active
Skill Description: While those of the Dark are heartened by your presence, your enemies will begin to hate and fear the sight of you.
Damage: N/A
Passive Effect 1: 30% Chance that nearby enemies will irrationally attack you.
Passive Effect 2: 10% Chance enemies will suffer Terror Debuff taking 20% more Damage from all sources. (Duration 10 Seconds) 
Effect 3: +30% Chance that nearby enemies will irrationally attack you. (Duration 10 Seconds)
AoE: 5 Yards
Range: Self
Duration: N/A
Cast Time: Instant
Cost: 50 Spirit
Cooldown: 30 Seconds

Skill Name: Shadow Bolt
Skill Level: Novice
Skill Type: Active
Skill Description: Launch a fierce bolt of shadow energy that causes damage and also temporarily blinds the target. As your proficiency with Shadow Bolt increases, both Damage and the Duration of the enemies blindness increases. At higher levels Shadow Bolt also has a chance of causing confusion, your enemy will become panicked and attack friendly forces.
Damage: SS X 1.7
Effect 1: Enemies are blinded. (Duration 5 Seconds)
Range: 100 Yards
Duration: N/A
Cast Time: 1 Second
Cost: 75 Spirit
Cooldown: N/A

Skill Name: Shadow Strike
Skill Level: Initiate
Skill Type: Active
Skill Description: With the power of Shadow Strike, you can charge your weapon with a potent bolt of shadow energy, which will inflict harm on enemies while simultaneously allowing you to absorb a portion of their health. At higher levels, both damage and health absorbed increase.
Damage: Regular attack Damage + (SS X 1.9)
Effect 1: 15% Damage dealt is absorbed as health.
Range: Melee
Duration: N/A
Cast Time: Instant
Cost: 120 Spirit
Cooldown: 45 Seconds

[collapse]

It was a nice diverse set of Skills and I still had one Skill Point left and all twenty of my Attribute Points banked waiting for me. I switched to my Character Sheet and dumped my Attribute Points into Vitality, Constitution, Strength, and Spirit, spreading them evenly across the board and reviewed my current information, and made sure the information included my equipment boosts despite it being in my wardrobe, armor stand, and weapons stand.

Name Jacob Longstrider Vitality 78 Base Melee Damage 50 Poison Resistance 27.8%
Race/Sex Vampire/Male Constitution 70 Base Ranged Damage --- Plague Resistance 27%
Level 12 Strength 51 Attack Strength 76.5 Mental Resistance 21.5%
Experience 5,100/8,000 Dexterity 15 Ranged Attack Strength 22.5 Light Resistance -20%
Class Dark Templar Intelligence 15 Spell Strength 88.5 Death Resistance 1.5%
Specialization Harbinger Spirit 59 Critical Hit Chance 10% Shadow Resistance 21.5%
Alignment Dark Luck 5 Critical Hit Damage 75% Fire Resistance 1.5%
Renown 1,050 Health/Regen 780/26.91 per Second     Cold Resistance 1.5%
Attribute Points 0 Stamina/Regen 700/21.88 per Second Evade Chance 15.5% Lightning Resistance 1.5%
Skill Points 1 Spirit/Regen 590/19.47 per Second Parry Chance 25%    

Not bad for a Level twelve newbie, considering most of my armor was common except for my new armor Oren had given me. Between my new armor, Moonlight, and a few rings I had from my Ranger days, boosted my Attributes enough to give me an edge at my current level against equivalent enemies. My one glaring vulnerability was my Resistance to Light-based magic. My new Shadow Aura Skill would negate it, but it would require a constant Spirit to keep it active. I dismissed the information and went to gather my gear that needed repairs, I still had time before the city went to sleep and things had to be done despite my fears and worries.

10