Chapter 14- Ancient History
308 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Underdark- Unending Abyss Region
Eternal NightUpper City
City Library

Octavius beamed a smile at me as he studied the three large tomes. "They didn't want to give them up, but I told them, city Engineers, the next step was for you to come down here and take them back. For some reason that scared them more." I responded, the second part more for myself, and Octavius chuckled.

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Lost Knowledge

Notice: Despite the engineers trying to hold onto the tomes, you managed to get them back. You have received 500 Experience and your Reputation with Octavius Night of House Nightshade has increased.

<<<>>>

"In another life, before I retired, I was the Archmage in charge of the local Mage Guild. That was a long time ago though.' Octavius absently replied as he studied the books for damage and nodded in acceptance of them before making them disappear with a snap of his fingers. 'Now I know you want to read about the found and fall of the Compact, but I thought it best to cover some things before that first. The books I will loan you will never leave this library, that is older than this city and very fragile." the other Vampire told me as he lead me deeper into the City Library.

"If you are worried about damage, you can just tell me, Master Octavius, I wouldn't want to damage any of your books," I told him weary about pissing off the older Vampire. 

He gave me a slight smile, "While within this building, they are protected from most damage. Now your first subject that you will be reading about is the origins of our Race, in particular the First. While most knowledge about that being was lost to time, some facts are known about him, or her." Octavius stated as we entered a room, the books lining the shelves looked old. Some were even damaged.

Yet I studied the three books sitting on the desk in the center of the room. "Those are the three books I would suggest you read first.' Octavius stated before bowing slightly and turning away only to stop at the doorway. 'Ahh, yes since we do not have any copies or replacements for these books in this room. Do not remove any of the books from this room, there are additional defenses emplaced to keep them here. If you have any questions, yell or message me." the older Vampire stated before leaving me to the books and my thoughts. 

I picked up the top one [Shrouded in Shadows, the Origin of the Vampire] appeared as I studied it. The author's name was faded with age but at least the book's tag still appeared when picking up the book. I winced as the leather creaked as I opened the book, but as promised it held and I started reading. Three hours later, I finished sipping my water. The book was mainly theory and little fact to it. Yet it did contain some nuggets of history that I did not know.

Spoiler

Name: Unknown
AKA: The First, Night King, Black King, Blood Lord
Place of Birth: Unknown
Place of Death: Unknown
Life Information: The origins, even the original Race, of the First is shrouded in mystery and lost to time. One thing is confirmed, he did not exist before the Sundering. Some believe the Firsts' creation led to the Sundering, others think the First was created during the Sundering as a potential soldier for one of the dark gods. Yet the first confirmed reports of the First Vampire is after the Sundering when both mortal and god were recovering from the titanic battles that shaped the landscape of the world we know now. 

Another thing we know, the First spent all his/her known life here on the Arakon continent, but other Vampires sprung up on the Jingoon continent as well within a hundred years of his/her first confirmed sighting. While we Vampires, have many assorted inherent Abilities, we cannot be at two places at once. Much less two landmasses separated by hundreds of miles of ocean. We know now only Vampires of the Rank of Elder or Ancient can Sire new Vampires. So if the First was here, who Sired the Vampires on the Jingoon continent?

The First moved among the various Races for nearly a century before creating another Vampire. Accident or on purpose, this is unknown. After this, the Vampire blossomed but the First kept his new brethren in check and did not let them run rampant across the land. Yet for all their control, the new Vampire people that were beginning to blossom and create their society were persecuted by their neighbors. Those of the Light Alignment for some reason held a particular enmity for our people. This would eventually result in the Exodus and the eventual death of the First. 

Note* See 'The Exodus and Founding of Eternal Night' by Jonus Quinn for more information about the Exodus

[collapse]

That bit of information led me to read the second book, which had second and third-hand accounts from the time, but still information about that period for the Vampire Race.

Spoiler

337 A.S.

The continued assaults' on Anhurs Crossing and our other villages have led to the decision that we will leave and completely abandon the area. The First has reached out to the surrounding communities for assistance and pacts of mutual protection, but the followers of the Light have intimidated them, abused them, or outright killed some. We will receive no aid from our closest neighbors and one time allies.

Food, basic necessities, and medical supplies have priority among the carts and wagons. We will have to take everything we will need to rebuild somewhere else and the Elders have agreed we will destroy everything we do not take. To deny the cursed Light spawn anything we leave behind. Yet between those of the Blood and our Thralls, we number close to five thousand all told. Between our villages, I do not know if we have enough food for a protracted journey and enough food to cover the time it will require us to rebuild and plant crops for a harvest. I pray to the Dark and dark gods that we will find safety elsewhere.

339 A.S. 

We travel through the vast prairie the local people call the Golden Plains. While the predominant people will not allow us to settle onto their ancestral land, they have agreed to grants us safe passage beyond their lands. When we first arrived here, I voiced concern to the Elders and the Heir about the Orcs of these Golden Plains, how their Tribes were simple and savage creatures that would turn on us at their first chance. In their wisdom, they ignored my concern and we continued. I am thankful they ignored my worries now.

Not only did the 'primitive' Orcs ignore us and let us travel in peace. They destroyed several hunting parties led by those damned Lightsiders. Apparently, the Orcs, while they lack compassion, they love a challenge. They see no honor in killing refugees but see much in slaughtering those hunting us. In return, we have shown the Orc Tribes various magics they are willing to learn. They have the potential to be allies or great enemies someday. Either way, the Orcs have pointed us to a valley the other southern people refuse to dwell in, believing it cursed and have named it the Valley of Shadows. A perfect place for Vampires to settle, for we fear no shadow or darkness.

340 A.S. 

Safety, a home. Something I never thought I would have again. Yet here among the dark valley and trees, we found both. More surprisingly we found a ruin of an ancient city from before the Sundering. Destiny, fate, providence, the Dark or dark gods, I thank everyone for seeing our people here. It almost makes up for the fact the First died during our Exodus and the constant attacks upon us over the years. The Heir will be crowned King of our people and we have all agreed to call our new home Eternal Night, in honor of the First and the shadows that protect us here in this place. May they be ever-present. While it will take decades to restore this city to its former splendor, it will be well worth it.

[collapse]

Two years of constant travel and attacks, to rebuild a society somewhere unknown because of the hate of others. I don't know if I would have the strength to do that. They had taken a huge gamble and after much hardship and travel, they had won. 

"My lord!' I looked up to see Sessa looking at me worriedly. 'Your guest, the Orc you brought into the city, has woken. Sergeant Shadowstrider has requested your presence immediately." the woman reported and I closed the books I had been reading and stacked them as I had seen them when I first entered the room before following the Hobgoblin-Elf hybrid. Sessa was fairly demure, and hesitant in social situations, but according to Drax was a very competent Sorcerer and Pyromancer. 

While she was not battle-tested in my eyes, not yet anyway, I trusted the Orcs judgment. At least I did until he proved I couldn't, and surprisingly the Orc was urging me to take a Seneschal of all things. Why? I had no idea. I could control my own spending and schedule. Whatever I was now, I wasn't a real lord with lands, so I didn't need someone yipping in my ear about things I 'had' to do. 

A twenty-minute walk got me back to see a very irate Orc we had saved yesterday awake and very much wanting to leave. Several members of the guard were keeping the Orc from leaving. "ENOUGH!' I bellowed as I entered the room. 'I am Jacob Longstrider. We saved you from the Spiderlings. Now, why don't you sit down and relax, you won't be going anywhere until the healers see you and ok you for travel? Sergeant, I am sure our guest is hungry can you make sure some food is delivered from the kitchen?" I asked James and he grunted as he left with the other guards while I sat down opposite of the still fuming Orc.

Sessa remained within the room with us, her eyes never leaving the weary Orc. "I am Drex Skullcrusher of the Bloodfang Tribe. Where are my companions that were with me?" the Orc got out.

"There were four others wrapped up near you. Unlike you, they were all dead. If you wish to retrieve their bodies, we can go back after you are fully recovered." I told him and the Orc snarled as his knuckles cracked as he clenched his fists.

"Yes, I need to take them back to Tribe so their families may mourn.' Drex responded as Drax entered the room and studied the Orc as he did. 'Finding this ruin of a city, where none used to be, was a surprise. With everything going on nearby, it is not a surprise my people do not need at the moment." Drex commented as he watched the other Orc, curious about who he was. 

"We could be a very good surprise.' I responded seeing an opportunity. 'What is wrong?" I asked the Orc trying to see if it was anything we could assist with. 

Drex studied me for a few moments, his eyes stopping on my new signet ring indicating I was a Dark Templar. Surprise flashed across his face but also hope. "Our clan faces to problems, the fist is the dead have been rising from their sleep. Roaming the nearby Underdark and attacking anyone. Our patrols and trade have ground to a halt because of this.' the Orc relayed as food and drinks arrived. 'The second problem is there is a large tribe of Kobolds living near us. They have grown unstable as of late, internal problems. However this could lead to a civil war among them, which could spill over into an all-out war with our Tribe, but with the Dead rising, we do not need any more problems. Will you help us, Dark Templar?" Drex asked as Quest information appeared before me. 

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Zombie Apocalypse?

Description: The dead have been rising, which has disrupted trade between the Bloodfang Tribe and its patrols of the nearby Underdark, how or why are unknown but Drex is certain the cause is nearby. Search the nearby Underdark for the root of the cause and eliminate it by any means. Drex will travel and assist you with this.

Quest Class: Quest Chain; Rare

Quest Difficulty: Hard

Success: Find and Destroy the source of the dead rising in the nearby Underdark.

Failure: Do not find the source or allow Drex to be killed during the process.

Rewards: 5,000 Experience, Unknown

Accept? Yes or No 

Quest Alert: Domestic Disturbance

Description: A nearby tribe of Kobolds is on the brink of a civil war. With the ongoing problem with the dead rising from their graves, Drex Skullcrusher of the Bloodfang Tribe has requested your assistance in getting to the root of the problem. Seek out the Earth-Splitter Tribe in the kobold town of Kiera'tan. Drex must survive the meeting.

Quest Class: Quest Chain; Uncommon

Quest Difficulty: Moderate

Success: Meet with the Kobolds and determine the problem and if you can assist them.

Failure: Do not meet with the Kobolds and assist them or Drex dies.

Rewards: Unknown

Accept? Yes or No

<<<>>>

I read the Quest information, but before I accepted the Quest I needed to see how willing he was to commit to seeing this done. "I will help you, but I am certain you have seen the state of the city. The lower portions have been compromised, if I help you, I need your help in return. Give me your assistance in securing the city and I will assist you after. Agreed?" I asked him and with only a moment's hesitation, the Orc nodded so I accepted both Quests.

11