Chapter 17- Politics…Gods Help Me!
287 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Underdark- Unending Abyss Region
Eternal Night- Upper City

With the Spiderlings flushed out and Treg's band of Goblins and Orcs broken, the lower city was far more secure than it had been. The City Guard was far more relaxed as we passed through the gatehouse and into the upper portions of the city. "Where too?" June asked as she scanned our surroundings. 

"Can you work with Sessa without being an overbearing bitch?' I asked the Drow bluntly and I could see her blush but give me a small nod. 'Then I want you two to head off and sell all the trash gear and items we don't need. If neither one of you have a Gathering or Crafting, I want you both to go and learn something you would like and can develop. After that, report back to Shadows Fall, hopefully, I will know what the last threat we face from Oren." I told the two women and they bowed slightly as I opened a trade window with June first and handed her half of everything then the other half went to the Pyromancer. 

"We will get the best deals we can, but I would recommend you purchase some upgrades for yourself, my lord." Sessa urged me before turning and leading the Dark Ranger who smirked at my torn and bloody appearance before sauntering off. 

I turned to Drax, "What do you think my friend? Do you think we are developing into a well-honed group or not?" I asked the Orc causing him to smile but before the Orc could respond another Vampire walked up to him and slapped him.

"Ahh the worm finally found a master!" the Vampire called out and his companions chuckled at his words. 

I immediately stepped between the two and gently pushed the other Vampire back. "Don't, walk away please." I softly told the Vampire and I felt Drex tense but did nothing else. This was my problem and not related to securing the city so hopefully, the other Orc would stay out of it.

The other Vampire looked at the hand on his chest then at me and sneered. He threw a punch my way but I took it on my shoulder and knocked off a small chunk of health. My counterpunch slammed into the Vampire's throat causing him to choke and gasp. I grabbed his head and drove it into my armored knee causing his nose to shatter and blood sprayed everywhere as his health dropped by an eighth. 

The other two Vampires started to move to support their bleeding friend but stopped in surprise as Moonlight practically leaped into my hand as I laid it against their friend's throat. "Move and this discussion will become far more serious.' I told them and they both nodded and bowed their heads slightly in deference as I looked back at the idiot. My instincts were to do one of two things, cut his head off or end his ability to procreate. 'Apologize and walk away and this will end here and now." I told the Vampire.

"FUCK YOU! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?" he spit in my face and I sighed in resignation. I drove a knee into the man's balls causing him to grunt and keel over in agony. I kicked him in the mouth causing him to roll over onto his stomach as he passed out. Got to love armored boots!

I poised Moonlight over the downed Vampire, ready to impale him when I heard someone clear their throat. "Is there a problem my lord?" I looked over to see James standing there with a bemused expression on his face.

"Can I kill this idiot without any real repercussions?" I asked and the two friends froze as they looked between the guard Sergeant and me.

"Well...yeah, as much as I dislike the idiot. He is part of House Demonix, one of the leading Lower Houses within the city. What happened?' the man asked me and I quickly explained everything that happened. The Sergeant asked the two companions and they agreed with me so the Sergeant looked back at me. 'Punish him, just don't kill him." the man responded and I considered the man's words and adjusted my aim before driving Moonlight through the Vampire's spine, crippling him but not killing him.

The Vampire woke to scream in agony from the severed spine as another guard rushed up as I pulled Moonlight from the wound. "Seal the wound, but allow the spine to heal naturally, that is his punishment.' I told them and everyone nodded accepting the judgment but not necessarily like it. I stared at the Sergeant and the man's companions. 'Remind him I could have taken his arm instead of his ability to walk. In twelve hours, he will be able to walk again unassisted. Warn him if he causes any more problems, I will kill him." I told the two friends and they bowed slightly again.

"More than just my lord. I do believe the Queen would uphold your judgment and warning." James loudly proclaimed causing more than one glance to be thrown my way but I shrugged off their curiosity as I walked away. 

"You didn't have to do that my lord!' Drax stated as we walked up the hill towards Shadows Fall. 'You expose yourself to both political and physical attack." the Shaman stated and I could see Drex's confused look, but was listening and learning.

"He attacked you, which is an attack on me, yes?' I asked the Shaman earning a grudging nod so I continued. 'I gave him a chance but he refused so I punished him for it. He forced the issue and I wasn't going to back down from such an overt confrontation." I told the Orc before stopping and forcing both of them to stop.

"More importantly, you are a friend. Someone I trust, which is virtually non-existent here for me.' I told him as I clapped a hand on his shoulder. 'You got my back and I have yours. Remember that my friend." I told him before continuing up the hill. 

After a few moments, I heard Drex speak. "I assume that is not normal for his kind?" he asked the other Orc.

"No, it is not," Drax replied and I snorted and smiled. 

"I will not change or forget who I am just because I am a new Race.' I told them as I looked back making sure both were listening. 'The Vampire society you know died two thousand years ago. Its time for a new one to take its place, even if I have to drag it kicking and screaming, I will make them learn they are in a new world they do not know. If they do not learn, they will be doomed to make the same mistakes and this second chance will be for nothing." I told them earning an appraising look from both Orcs but I left them to their thoughts as we approached the gates of Shadows Fall. 

While the City Guard still had a presence here, I could see more of the elite [Heart Guard] running about now. I assumed Isiah was busy recruiting among the guard to replace the elite unit's losses. Both Orcs headed off to our little wing to clean up before heading to get food, I headed directly to Oren's room. The senior Dark Templar smiled as I entered and collapsed in an empty chair. "Ahh, the conquering hero returns." the Orc mused and I snorted as my notification finally flooded my sight.

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Fight for Eternal Night!

Notice: You have managed to destroy the band of occupying Orcs and Goblins that had taken up residence in the lower city. As your efforts continue to secure that portion of the city, the Vampire hold on Eternal Night grows stronger, their future more secure. You have received 20,000 Experience, your Reputation with Vampire Houses, both Low and High, of Eternal Night has increased to Friendly, and your Reputation with the City Guard of Eternal Night has risen.

<<<>>>

Skill Name: Unarmed Combat
Skill Level: 3
Skill Type: Passive
Effect 1: Increases Unarmed Combat damage by 9%.
Effect 2: Increases Armed Combat damage by 2.25%.
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A

Skill Name: Bladed Weapons
Skill Level: 6
Skill Type: Passive
Effect 1: Increases Bladed Weapons damage by 15%.
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A

Skill Name: Heavy Armor
Skill Level: 5
Skill Type: Passive
Effect 1: Increases base armor rating while wearing Heavy Armor by 15%.
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A

Skill Name: Dodge
Skill Level: 5
Skill Type: Passive
Effect 1: Increase the chance to Evade an attack by 13%.
Range: N/A
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A

Skill Name: Parry
Skill Level: 5
Skill Type: Passive
Effect 1: Increase Chance to block/deflect an attack by 13%.
Effect 2: 10% Chance that counterattack will trigger
Range: Melee
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A

Skill Name: Conditioning
Skill Level: 6
Skill Type: Passive
Effect 1: Pain felt due to effort, status effects, or injuries is reduced by 12%.
Effect 2: Decrease the chance spells will Miscast due to pain by 5%.
Range: N/A
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A

Ability Name: Dark Spark 
Ability Level: 2
Ability Type: Passive
Effect 1: Umbra unlocked. 
Effect 2: Increase the Effects and Damage of Shadow-Based Skills and Spells by 3% per Dark Spark Level. (Current= 6%)
Range: N/A
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A

Racial Ability Unlocked: Feed
Racial Ability Level: 1
Racial Ability Type: Active
Description: Being a Vampire you can feed upon your Enemies and regain some lost Health, strength, and help keep your sanity.
Damage: AS X 0.1 per Second
Effect 1: Attack Ignores enemies Armor
Effect 2: 50% Damage inflicted is absorbed as Health
Restriction: Applies only to living enemies.
AoE: N/A
Range: Melee
Duration: Until Cancelled or target is dead
Cast Time: Instant
Cost: Initial 50 Stamina, Duration 5 Stamina per Second
Cooldown: 30 Seconds

<<<>>>

3 X Level up!

You have (15) unassigned Attribute Points. Attribute Points can be assigned at any time.

You have (4) unassigned Skill Points. Skill Points can be assigned at any time.

<<<>>>

I carefully read the information, then reread everything before dismissing it before responding. "I got damned lucky taking out that band of Orcs and Goblins. Learned some information too when I did, so it balanced out in the end.' I reported to the other Dark Templar and accepted the cup that contained some wine. Not my first choice, but beggars were not choosers. 'Two of the three big threats are gone, what remains?" I asked Oren, trying to cut through any bullshit. 

Oren raised an eyebrow, "Eager to prove yourself?" the other Dark Templar asked.

I shook my head in response, "No, eager to secure the city and firmly in control of its people." I told him and after a few moments, Oren nodded his head in acceptance.

"Very well, when we first emerged her six months ago, not everything went well. There was panic, almost all out civil war, but the Queen with the High Houses assistance managed to keep everything together. However, not everyone was happy with the results of what happened. Some of the Lower Houses blamed the late King and our current Queen for our downfall. They were in a very small minority though." Oren explained before taking a drink from his cup before he continued. "One of those moved out of the upper city and down into the ruin of the lower city and set himself as a 'king' but he is just an overambitious asshole. Word has slowly come back to us that he has gone almost completely feral and needs to be put down. Hunt down Frederick Dasgon and free what Thralls you can and return to me after you are done." Oren replied as the Quest Notification popped up.

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Fight for Eternal Night!

Description: After Eternal Night first emerged from the time loop, its previous king placed it in, several Vampires were close to all-out rebellion. One of them, the Vampire Frederick Dasgon did rebel and took his Lower House and all those who would follow him, to the Lower City of Eternal Night. As time has passed though, word has reached Oren that Fredrick Dasgon has gone almost feral. Find the Vampire and rebel, and end his existence.

Quest Class: Quest Chain; Ultra-Rare, Unique

Quest Difficulty: Hard

Success: Kill the feral Vampire Frederick Dasgon and free any Thralls under his control, then return to Oren Dulkem.

Failure: Do not kill the feral Vampire Frederick Dasgon and free any Thralls under his control.

Rewards: 20,000 Experience, Unknown

Note* This Quest is mandatory.

<<<>>> 

I read the information and a new waypoint appeared on my map. "Be wary, I knew Fredrick during the war and he is a devious and sadistic bastard to have as an enemy. He will have no problem killing an innocent or using odd tactics to throw his enemies off balance." Oren warned me and I nodded in acceptance as I downed the last of my drink before leaving the Orc to his thoughts. 

15