Chapter 20- Wake up Call!
249 2 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Underdark- Unending Abyss Region
Eternal Night- Upper City
Shadows Fall Keep

The screams woke me from the dead sleep and without a second thought I threw myself out of bed, grabbed Moonlight, and rushed to the guest bedroom where my new Thrall and Sessa slept. My appearance for some reason quieted them as I scanned the room for threats. "What is wrong?" I asked as I relaxed slightly seeing nothing and no one out of place as Sessa blushed before giggling. 

Sessa pointed at me, "Jacob, you are naked." she got about between bouts of giggles and I looked down before blushing. I sleep in the nude, sue me! I stammered out an apology before going back to my room as I heard Moonlight snickering in my head in amusement. 

"Shut up you, or I will use you to cut bread," I told the blade earning more laughter and a sense of amusement. I quickly donned my clothing before going back to the guest room, this time without the blade. "Sorry, I probably looked like a crazy guy, but naked and waving a sword around," I told them earning another giggle from Sessa and a small smile from the Drow. 

"I apologize my lord for waking you, I---" I cut her off with a wave of my hand.

"Stop! Do not apologize for anything. After whatever happened to you with Fredrick and his lackeys, you deserve plenty of time to recover both physically and mentally. When we are like this, please call me Jacob. I am new to this and don't stand around formalities." I told her trying to ease any burden on her. "Do you want me to send for a healer to check on you?" I asked her and she looked at Sessa who smiled before nodding. 

The Drow blushed and shook her head. "No, I am fine but thank you for the offering. I am hungry though and could use something to eat," she responded and I smiled, hopefully in a comforting way. "I am Chalxae Freath, Rogue, and Assassin," she informed me.

I smiled and nodded. "You don't have to do anything you don't want to, that includes staying as my Thrall. Now, I will go to the kitchen and get you some food. Sessa, would you like anything while I am up?" I asked her and the Sorceress shook her head. "I will be back as soon as possible ladies," I told them before bowing slightly earning another smile from both before leaving them there. 

As soon as I entered the corridor I froze in surprise to see three figures. What was surprising was not that they were present, or that they were armed and armored, but that they had blood dripping from their weapons. My hand shot up on its own accord as a Shadow Bolt shot out. The lead man ducked down, but the attacker behind him didn't and the Shadow Bolt slammed into his body sending him careening backward as the two other intruders leaped foreword to attack. 

While they would have been faster if I was in my armor, as I was in my newbie gear, I was faster. I slapped their strikes away as I backed up drawing them closer to where I wanted and they pursued me without a second thought. I finally made my move, a Shadow Bolt at point-blank range caused one opponent to slam into the nearby wall. I grabbed the second attacker's overextended arm before punching his elbow causing him to drop the dagger before throwing the attacker through the open window. 

While the man didn't scream the whole way down, and considering we were four stories up he had some plying time, but then I heard the 'splat' I knew he was dead. Thralls that were being controlled! I banged on Drex and Drax's doors as the first attacker started running my way. Drex opened the door just as the Rogue ran past it and jumped towards me, both blades extended to impale me. The second Shadow Bolt sheared off his head causing his body to drop and skid to a stop at my feet. 

"Gear up!" I told them before striding away back to my room. Both women were up and looking worriedly as I reentered the room. "The Keep is under attack, Thralls are part of the group. Sessa gear up to go out, Chalxae I think it best for you to stay here." I told the Drow but anger flashed across her face. 

"I am well enough for a fight. If you are going into battle you will need me." The Drow responded and I glanced at Sessa to get her assessment and the Hobgoblin/Elf nodded slightly so I caved.

"Very well, you do not take any risks you do not need to. Get ready." I told her and a small smile played across her face as I pulled up my Interface and sent off a quick message to Oren and James notifying them of what was going on. I had no idea if this was an isolated attack directed at me or a move against the Queen. Either way, I wasn't going to stay on the sidelines and do nothing. 

When I reemerged from my bedroom for the third time in less than ten minutes, I was fully armed and armored. June and Drax were studying the bodies of the two Thralls I had killed trying to figure out who they were. "Anyone know where the Queen lives in this place?" I asked and they frowned as they looked at me. "If this isn't an isolated attack aimed at me, they will be going after her. Where would she be?" I asked explaining my worries. 

"Three floors up, near the command center," Chalxae responded much to my surprise causing her to smile. "Remember, I am an Assassin. That bastard Fredrick dreamed of getting me into this place undetected," she explained and I shrugged my shoulders, good enough for me. 

"Ok, Chalxae you are on point. I am following after thirty seconds. June brings up the rear. Drex, you stay here, this is an internal matter that--" I started but the Orc snarled.

"You are going into battle against an unknown foe and unknown number. You need me, I will be the rear guard," he stated and I considered it before accepting his choice. 

"Very well, but your survival is more important than you being in this fight. If it comes to it, back off. Chalxae and June are on point, then me, Sessa, Drax, and finally Drex bringing up the rear. We go as quickly as we can, but I want everyone to live through this." I told them before looking at the Assassin and Dark Ranger who nodded once in acknowledgment before moving out, already fading into Stealth as they did. 

I quickly cast Shadow Forge and Shadow Armor as soon as my Spirit had recovered enough before following the two women, wondering if I was insane or stupid at allowing Chalxae out of my sight so quickly. "Relax Jacob, she will be fine," Drax commented as Sessa cast a few spells buffing the group and we continued. I don't know how they got into the Keep without setting off any alarms, but I passed several dead guards along the way and more Thralls as well as one or two Vampires I did not recognize. 

Ten minutes later we were outside the throne room, we had encountered and killed three more small groups as quickly and quietly as we could. "There are about thirty in there, they have about a dozen of the Heart Guard in there as well, wounded but alive," June reported as she dropped out of Stealth.

"Did you spot any leaders?" I asked and Chalxae nodded.

"A Vampire by the dais, not sitting on the throne. Not yet anyway. A dozen of them are keeping an eye on the prisoners, if we can free them this fight will become a fair fight." the Assassin advised and I considered their words.

"Are they tied up, wounded, what is their status?" I asked as I did my best to look through the doorway without being noticed. 

"Wounded, but alive," Chalxae reported and I considered my options and came up with a plan before relaying it to them. After a few moments, none of them had a better idea so we went with mine. As stupid as it was. 

I took a calming breath, "Don't be late." I told everyone before moving forward. Seriously, how stupid did I have to be...Did becoming a tank drop my I.Q. or something. That was what I was thinking as I strode into the throne room. They reacted immediately, weapons were taken up by the Thralls but I ignored them to study the Vampire on the dais. "Do us both a favor and surrender," I told him

He laughed and looked around, "The bastard has decided to grace us and proves how spoiled the line of House Lightsbane has become." he responded and I shrugged.

"I tried," I responded before thrusting my hand foreword causing Bog of Plagued Shadows to burst up around the Vampire and the Thralls near him. Before the Thralls watching the guards could react, June's spell enveloped them with another pool of darkness as she started firing on them causing them to let out shouts of surprise then I was among the Thralls and too busy to think, I just reacted. 

Then Fireballs and Drex joined the fight, easing some of the pressure on me as the all-out melee turned hectic. I was already down to half health when the first wave of healing magic hit me and I considered my options before triggering Vampiric Transformation and Aura of Terror. Half the Thralls ran screaming in absolute fear while two seemed to succumb to the Terror Debuff and dropped their weapons and cowered on the floor. 

They became almost too easy to eliminate and I looked up to see the other Vampire scream in agony as Chalxae appeared behind him. Her daggers buried in his kidneys or other equally vulnerable organs, before ripping the daggers out and stabbing him in the neck causing the scream to turn into a gurgle as blood burst from his mouth. I raised my hand again and launched a trio of Shadow Bolts towards the snared Thralls before triggering my charge skill causing me to slam into them. 

Before I could do much more, the enraged Heart Guard arrived and tore them to pieces. Damn, I do not recommend ever seeing someone ripped limb from limb, it's not pretty, even if it's justified. I looked around, June was firing arrows at the few standing Thralls that were still suffering from the Fear Debuff, but the fight was practically over. At least this part was. "Finish mopping them up. I can't command you, but I would suggest you secure the doorways to the throne room in case they have reinforcements coming." I told the Heart Guard and surprisingly they listened. 

13