Chapter 21- The Executioner
230 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Underdark- Unending Abyss Region
Eternal Night- Upper City
Shadows Fall Keep

I was sitting on the dais of the throne room, after the long early morning, constant fights, I was exhausted but the Keep was secure. "We are gathered here today because the ambition of the few led to the death of over fifty beings." Talia called out as I looked up to see more then one nervous look thrown my way.

I was still covered in my bloody armor, only Moonlight had been cleaned. Talia continued, "House Night Dweller, House Tantibus, and House Lamia stands in rebellion to the throne.' Talia spoke and I looked at the two men and woman. All were wounded and bound waiting the Queen judgement. 'Shall we let these traitors stay within our midst, when we are already weakened. We need unity, not division. What say you?" the Queen called out and I rolled my eyes at the theatrics. 

Shouting for their deaths, some called for mercy. Idiots. These people let their ambition blind them to the facts of the world around them. They were of the Lower Houses, even if they had managed to kill the Queen, the High Houses would never had acknowledged any of them as ruler of the Vampire Race or Eternal Night. I looked over to see the Queen remaining quiet and I slowly stood and strode over to the three bloody and wounded figures.

"Kneel!" I snapped at the first and the two Heart Guards forced the man to his knees despite his fighting. Moonlight rose then with a hiss came down causing his head to spin away causing the surrounding nobility to go silent as I looked around. 

I pointed to the next and both survivors were forced to knee, and with two quick swings, I had three dead nobles at my feet. I looked around, "This is what should happen, I leave it to the Queen to agree or not.' I started as I looked around and everyone remained quiet. 'House Night Dweller, House Tantibus, and House Lamia will be dissolved, any remaining leadership will be executed, any Vassals or children will be adopted into other Houses, equally between High and Lower Houses with their House Thralls. Their House riches, if they have any, will be used to compensate the families of the dead and to help with the repairs to Shadows Fall and the city. This is my recommendation." I called out as I looked back at Talia to see a small smile grace her lips as she stood and pointed to me.

"I name you, Jacob Longstrider, Royal Executioner. Until I deem it otherwise, your will is my will, your words, my words. Your judgement, my own.' she replied as she stood. 'Your judgement on this matter is sound and fair for both Noble and Commoner. Does anyone wish to raise an objection?" the last was asked coolly as she looked around at the mostly stunned crowd. 

One of the High House members shook off his shock and stepped foreword. "I think I can speak for the High Houses when I say this. I think the judgement is sound and choice,' he emphasized the word and I groaned inwardly at the double meaning as the political wheels were turning again. 'Is surprisingly acceptable." the man finished before looking at those of the Lower Houses who continued to stare at the bodies of their former compatriots. 

I rolled my eyes and looked back at Talia, "I need a bath, food, sleep, and to head back to my world for a short time. I will be back in day at most. Can you keep the children from burning down the city in my absence?" I asked her causing a smile grace her face again.

"Of course Lord Longstrider, now that they have been suitably punished I think they will toe the line. For now at least." Talia replied and I walked away, heading for my rooms. 

"You ok Jacob?" Moonlight asked as I walked as fast as I could towards my rooms without running. 

"Not really my friend, thank you for asking." I told the blade and I could feel the mental equivalent of a pat on the back as the weapon went silent. 

Drex was waiting with the other when I entered my suite. "Drex, I am sorry but we are going to have to push our trip back a day. I have to go back to my world for a short time." I told the Orc and he snorted.

"Not surprising, I already notified the merchant keeping my friends bodies and he is fine keeping them another day." the Berserker replied and I nodded.

"Drax, you are in charge while I am away. Keep everyone close please...I did something and probably earned a lot of enemies and anger. These people might not have a problem targeting any of you to try and hurt me. Don't give them a chance please." I told the Shaman before I headed for my room and threw my gear onto the armor stand and weapon stand before heading to the bathroom to wash off.

"What happened?" I looked to see June, Chalxae, and Sessa standing in the doorway. I was so tired, I didn't care that I was naked.

"The rebels were executed." I responded as I continued to wash the blood off my body.

"You did it?" Chalxae asked and I stopped, before nodding slightly before finishing up cleaning myself and drying off before heading to the bedroom to laydown and logout. 

"Are you going to be ok Jacob?" Sessa asked and I shrugged my shoulders.

"I will be back, one way or another.' I told them as I pulled up my Interface to Logout. 'Seriously, can you all please stay safe." I told them and got three nods as they left the room and I hit Logout. 


Real World
North American Alliance- Greater New Your City Area

The long-term pod slowly powered down around me and I shakily stood and stretched my muscles. "Juno, did you get my messages?" I asked the V.I. once I worked the kinks out.

"Yes I did sir. Your friends, Jared and Matt, have confirmed they will meet you for dinner at Bruce's Bar and Grill in a little over an hour. Marc responded to your email and confirmed that if and when you wish to divulge your secrets to your friends, their will be no legal ramifications from Blackrock. Do you have any other requests or needs that I can assist with at this moment Kevin?" the V.I. responded.

I smiled as I entered the shower to wash off the sweat and stink of being stuck in the pod. "No, not at this time. Thankyou for asking Juno." I responded. 

The V.I. was a new addition, a gift they had insisted on watching over the local network activity, watch over me, and monitor the long-term immersion pod. "If you don't mind me saying Kevin, I was watching your feed. I agree with what you did and do not think you should feel guilt for the choices or actions you made in the throne room." Juno stated and I shivered as I remembered how easy it was to swing Moonlight. 

"Maybe, maybe not. Only time will tell if I made the right decision. Either way, I will be remembered by everyone there that I killed them without a seconds thought or hesitation. Hopefully that will keep those climbing the political ladder at bay for a while." I told Juno causing the V.I. to contemplate my words and thoughts. 

"Do you regret the decision Kevin? Do you feel guilt for killing those V.I.'s? You realize they are not really dead. They would have their short-term memory wiped and recycled for other purposes by the overruling A.I.s of Fate Online." Juno pointed out and I shrugged my shoulders as I stepped out of the shower. 

"True, but those individual beings ceased to be even if the 'soul' for lack of better term, continued on to reincarnate as something else.' I told Juno as I dried myself off. 'This wasn't in a battle Juno, this was a cold execution of three beings. Digital or otherwise. I have to live with that." I told her as I dressed.

"Thank you Kevin, for both the thought and consideration.' Juno responded and I smiled as I winked at the nearest sensor. 'Enjoy your time with your friends and try to stay out of trouble. Should I expect you to bring back any company?" the V.I. asked and I snorted.

"I have been to busy lately to chase the farer sex Juno, nothing has changed. As far as bringing Jared or Matt back here...Yes but not today. I also don't plan on getting drunk, so I should avoid any trouble." I told the worried V.I. as I finished getting dressed and headed out. 

A man smiled and offered a hand as he ushered me towards a vehicle. "I am Tony, your driver and I received an order that we are going to a location in the eastern part of the Queens district. A place called Bruce's?" the man asked after we shook hands.

"Yep, but I would like to be dropped off a block out to maintain a low-profile if possible." I told him and Tony frowned.

"That is kind-of a rough neighborhood, are you sure sir?" he asked me and I snorted.

"The first ten years of my life, I grew up less then a block away from where we are going. I will be fine." I told him as the car lifted off and accelerated.

Thirty minutes later, I walked into the bar. It had been a while since I had been here, but streams of the latest games sports wise, and the highlight reels of what was going on in Fate Online were playing on the TV's scattered around the place. A home away from home for everyone. "AHHH, KEVIN! Welcome back!" I looked over to see Bruce enveloping me in a hug. 

I slapped the big man on the back until he released me. "Thanks, sorry I haven't been in recently but with everything that went down, I thought it best to lay low." I told him and the owner waved it off.

"Don't worry about it kid.' he told me and leaned closer to me. 'She came in a couple weeks ago with some of her new friends. She quickly left once one of her friends vehicles was vandalized. Sad really, but hey what can you expect to happen in such a dangerous area." Bruce relayed with a chuckle and I snorted in amusement.

"Speaking of a dangerous area, I have a friend outside. He is riding shotgun for me tonight. Just a driver to here and back home, nothing bad I promise old man." I quickly told him before he could start lecturing me. "Can you make sure nothing vandalizes my ride for the night?" I asked him and he winked.

"You got it kid. Now what do you want to eat and drink." Bruce asked and I quickly ordered some onion rings with a pitcher of beer before heading for a table so I could watch the various feeds, both sports and Fate Online oriented, around the room. 

14