Chapter 25- Responsibility
227 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Underdark- Unending Abyss Region 
Outpost for Eternal Night

I studied what remained of the forces that had come to carve out an outpost and began to understand why they never broke out until we had shown up. "Of the original two hundred guardsmen, twenty died before we got to this chamber and made a stand." Captain Thardan Dulkam reported as we walked through the half-finished outpost. "Over the last few weeks, fifty more have died but we held but due to our losses, we couldn't risk a breakout. With the siege broken, we can finish construction and finally report everything that has happened to the Queen." the Duergar stated as he looked around.

"You all need to be relieved and rotated back to the city, but with everything going on at Eternal Night, I don't know when that will happen. I will recommend you be reinforced though." I told him as I looked at Drax. "Can you help with their wounded please?" I asked the Shaman causing the Orc to bow.

"Of course my lord. Just let me know if you plan to leave." he reminded me before striding off. 

Thardan grunted, "Slightly protective of you isn't he, my lord?" the Duergar prodded and I shrugged my shoulders.

"I am still new to all of this, so I couldn't tell you what is 'normal' and what is off. Your situation though is something that should have been fixed but hopefully, I can help with that when we report back to Eternal Night. Do you know where they are based out of at least?" I asked the man and he waved me to follow him as I glanced around at the organized chaos one more time before following. 

The Duergar led me to a small building that was their barracks but more heavily fortified. I assumed it was built in case they ever lost the wall to attackers, the defenders had something to fall back to. Thardan led me to a private room that I assume belonged to the Captain and offered me a seat as he unrolled a map and I noticed that it was of the nearby Underdark. "This is where we are currently located. From what we have been able to determine, House Dhalmass is located out west of us based on where our attackers came from. Due to the constant attacks, we have not been able to scout out the area properly, but with the siege lifted now we can begin to recover on do what we were sent out here for. However we need some help finishing up the construction of the outpost, a relief column of supplies was supposed to come in but from what we have determined, they were ambushed. Can you find the convoy and supplies for us and recover what you can for us?" Captain Dulkam asked as a new notification popped up.

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Zombie Apocalypse?

Description: You managed to destroy the Shard of Death that had been planted near Ghazren Hold, but it is only a fragment of the Artifact awakening the dead and causing them to attack anything they cross. After finding the outpost established by the City Guards of Eternal Night, you have some frame of reference where House Dhalmass is based. Scout out the area and locate their base of operations.

Quest Class: Quest Chain; Rare

Quest Difficulty: Hard

Success: Find where House Dhalmass is basing their operations in the nearby Underdark and report your findings to Talia Sunstrider.

Failure: Do not find where House Dhalmass is basing their operations in the nearby Underdark or fail to report your findings to Talia Sunstrider.

Rewards: 5,000 Experience, Unknown

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Desperate Need

Description: Captain Thardan Dulkam has informed you that the relief convoy that was carrying critical supplies was ambushed but some of the supplies still might be intact. Find the ambush sigh and recover what you can and return anything you find to the outpost.

Quest Class: Uncommon

Quest Difficulty: Moderate

Success: Find the ambush site and recover any supplies from the lost convoy before returning to Captain Thardan Dulkam at the outpost.

Failure: Do not find the ambush site or do not return to Captain Thardan Dulkam at the outpost.

Rewards: 500 Experience, increased Reputation with the City Guard of Eternal Night, Unknown

Accept? Yes or No

<<<>>>

I considered the request and then accepted it, these people needed all the help they could get and were on the front line against the manipulative House Dhalmass currently. "Yes Captain, I have no problem assisting you, but I have to report back to the Queen, and based on where we are, I won't be back until sometime tomorrow," I warned him and the Duergar waved my concern off. 

"Don't worry about it my lord, I know you will get to it as soon as you can. Be wary when you are traveling, the Underdark is a dangerous place even for a party prepared for it." the Duergar cautioned me and I gave him a nod of thanks before standing and walking away. 

I walked over to another building that had been set up for all the wounded, and sadly it was full of guardsmen that had been wounded. I quickly found Drax though casting one spell after another, but even I could tell healing magic could only do so much. "Can I do anything to help?" I asked the Orc and the Shaman studied me for a few seconds before taking out a knife and goblet. 

"While Vampires feed upon the living, they can also strengthen them with their blood. This is called the Gift, for those of us who are of the Mortal Races, if we consume Vampire blood it can enhance our own bodies' regenerative capabilities for a time. Will you do this for the wounded?" Drax asked as he held the blade out, hilt first. 

Well, this was a first, I had never heard of this before. Then again the only Vampires I had ever encountered before were mindless monsters driven by their hunger. I took the blade before unequipping my bracers and shoving them into my Inventory before slicing my wrist open. Blood welled up and poured into the empty goblet as my health dropped steadily. I kept the blade in the wound to keep it open.

<<<>>>

Debuff Price of the Gift: 5% of Base Health per Second, Health Regeneration decreased by 50% (Duration 60 Seconds)

<<<>>>

I shivered and dismissed the alert as the goblet steadily filled until Drax snatched the blade away and I staggered and sat down as the hunger and thirst roared through me. "Foolish my lord, but thank you" the Orc stated and I noticed by Health Gauge was strobing and at just under ten percent health. I could smell all of them around me and I was really hungry and needed blood, I stood and shaky legs and left the building to find a quiet spot until I got my hunger under control. 

After a few minutes, Drax and Thardan found me, the Duergar handed me a canteen. "That's blood, one of the rations we had for the Vampire sent to oversee the construction of the outpost before he decided to lead a breakout and try to seek help from Eternal Night. Based on the fact we were never relieved, I assume he didn't make it." the Duergar reported, contempt lacing his voice as I downed the contents of the canteen quickly relieved the sense of hunger and thirst I felt. 

"Who was he?" I asked him as I finished the canteen. 

"An Ascendant by the name of Decalin Craven of House Craven, one of the Lower Houses. He should have known better but he was both arrogant and desperate to save his skin. Took his Thralls and a squad of the guard with him but I am fairly certain even if they managed to fight their way past the blocking force, they would have been hunted down ad killed or enslaved." the Duergar reported as a new Quest popped up. 

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Lost in the Dark

Description: The former commander and leader of the outpost, Decalin Craven of House Craven, led a breakout attempt to try and inform Eternal Night of their plight. Captain Thardan Dulkam has informed you that Decalin fled with his Thralls and a squad of guards. Find out what happened to them and inform the captain and House Craven what happened to Decalin Craven. 

Quest Class: Racial; Common

Quest Difficulty: Moderate

Success: Find out what happened to Decalin Craven and report it to both Captain Thardan Dulkam and the Elder of House Craven.

Failure: Do not find out what happened to Decalin Craven or do not report it to both Captain Thardan Dulkam and the Elder of House Craven.

Rewards: Unknown

Note* As an Elder and Royal Executioner, you have a responsibility for your lesser Kin and as a duty to your Queen. Thus this Quest is compulsory. 

<<<>>>

I looked at the Captain, "I will find out what happened to your errant commander and let you know what happened to him and the squad of soldiers Captain." I told him and he gave me a slight nod in thanks before striding away. 

Drax was studying me, the question written on his face. "Yes, it is a quest, and no I had no choice in accepting it or not," I informed the Orc.

Drax grunted, "Then let's get on the road, the sooner we get back to the city the sooner we can report our discoveries." the Shaman replied and I stood and following the healer to gather up the others so we could finally head back to Eternal Night, it had been a fruitful day and we all needed rest. 

"Are you ok?" June asked me as she walked up with the others.

A smile twisted my lips, "Just ready to head back. Let's go." I told her and we headed back into the Underdark. 

9