Chapter 29- Three is a Party!
242 3 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Underdark- Unending Abyss Region
Town of Kiera'tan

I looked around as we waited for Braxus to see us. I studied the cloth-covered form and winced before turning away. I knew there was nothing I could have done, but I still considered it a failure on my part. "The chieftain will see you now." I looked over to see a diminutive Kobold studying our blood-soaked forms and I nodded before rising from my seat and following the Kobold. 

We were led into the throne room, based on the number of people present this was going to be a public spectacle. I wouldn't have done it that way, but it was their Chieftain's choice. The Kobold was staring at me expectantly and I laid the cloth-covered form at his feet and pulled back the draping to reveal his dead sister. More than one voice started speaking but with a glare and hiss from Braxus, the voices quieted down. "There is more going on than you know Chief Earthcracker," I told him and waved the others forward. 

The two bound Drow that had survived the fight were pushed to his feet, both were bloody and crippled, their health bars were strobing dangerously low but they were alive. "Three of them were found in a chamber doing some ritual magic on your sister. They had sacrificed several of the rebel Kobolds, but I do not know what for. You should also be aware that your sister did lay eggs, I was unsure if you wanted them destroyed so we recovered them as well." I told the Kobolds earning a surprised look as the makeshift cart was pushed forward with a dozen eggs stacked within.

Braxus stood from his throne and did his best to loom over the two Drow, "Before you die, you will tell me what you did to my sister. Then, and only then will you die." he hissed in the woman's face before turning my way. "Thank you Jacob Longstrider of the Vampire people for assisting us with this endeavor. The Earth-Splitter Tribe is now pledged to dislodging House Dhalmass from this area of the Underdark. We will gather our warriors, Geomancers, and Pyromancers and prepare to attack their enclave, when we are ready we will march our force to your people outpost to prepare for the attack. Now, please leave we must make our preparations." Braxus stated and I bowed slightly before turning and leaving. 

"Where to now?" Drax asked and I pulled out another Portal Scroll.

"We stop by Ghazren Hold, inform the Blood-Fang Tribe that the Kobolds are settled and will assist with the fight against House Dhalmass then head back to Eternal Night and update the Queen and see to our own needs," I replied before cracking the seal of the Portal Scroll and causing a portal to snap open. 

Unlike the Kobolds, the Orcs were not theatrical and quickly ushered me in. After a short update, snack, and generally talking about what the Blood-Fang Tribe would add to the assault, we finally ended the meeting and headed back to Eternal Night. I dropped off my armor at the smith to be repaired, while it had not suffered too much damage I didn't want to chance it being damaged permanently. We still had to find out where House Dhalmass was working from in the immediate area, but that would take some time. 

The Queen studied me as I entered her study, "So, how is it going? Have you rallied our neighbors to attack the Drow manipulating events?" she asked me and I nodded.

"Yes, but we still need to locate them and assess the situation. We have no idea what we are facing and the Drow will have defenses in place to ward off any attack." I told her and she nodded. 

"Yes, we have both the support of the Blood-Fang and Earth-Splitter Tribes, combined they will be sending about five hundred warriors and mages of various classes. Can we match that?" I asked her and after a moment Talia nodded her head. 

"Yes, but until we pin down where this House Dhalmass is working from, it doesn't matter. Now I assume you are going to try and find them?" the Queen asked as she studied me.

"Yes, I will search for their base of operations tomorrow. Do you have any requests concerning them?" I asked her and she shook her head and waved me off. I was dead tired after a long day and headed for my room. Dinner was already waiting for me, but I headed straight for the bathroom and mentally thanked whoever had drawn a bath for me before quickly stripping out of my clothing and slipping under the hot waters waiting for me as I pulled up the waiting notifications. 

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Earth Split!

Notice: You managed to destroy most of the rebel Kobolds and even more importantly found members of House Dhalmass casting some spell upon the eggs of the former rebels. You managed to not only capture two of the Drow but recovered the eggs that remained uncorrupted by the magic the Drow had been using. In return, the Earth-Splitter Tribe will assist in dislodging the Drow from the area. You have received 2,000 Experience, 1,200 Bonus Experience, your Reputation with the Earth-Splitter Tribe has increased to Friendly.

<<<>>>

Moonlight has gained 1 Level (Current Level: 4) and has (2) unassigned Skill Points.

<<<>>>

I read and dismissed the information before bringing up the information of the sword. There were two new Skills I could unlock from the blades skill tree, or I could boost the one I had unlocked to the second tier. I pulled up the Skills information and started reading.

Spoiler

Skill Name: Spiritual Bond
Skill Level: 1 ---> 2
Skill Type: Passive
Description: While you might never be best friends, with Spiritual Bond, you can at least talk directly to Moonlight, not just interpret feelings. 
Damage: N/A
Effect 1: Unlocks Mental Connection with Moonlight allowing the blade to communicate with its wielder.
Effect 2: Increase Bladed Weapons Damage by 10%. ---> +5%
Effect 3: Increase the chance to Parry incoming Melee attacks by 5%. ---> +2.5%
AoE: N/A
Range: N/A
Cast Time: N/A
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A

[collapse]

While the damage boost was nice, the increased chance to parry an attack was even nicer since it would decrease any incoming damage. I pushed the information to the side and pulled up the information on Shadow Edge and Umbra Infusion.

Spoiler

Skill Name: Shadow Edge
Skill Level: 1
Skill Type: Passive
Description: Moonlight was forged with the power of Shadow Magic, and its edge can cut almost any armor and can unleash the power of the Umbra upon your enemies.
Damage: N/A
Effect 1: Attacks ignore 10% of your enemies Armor.
Effect 2: 20% Chance Umbra Explosion will trigger dealing an additional 50 Shadow Damage.
AoE: N/A
Range: N/A
Cast Time: N/A
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A

Skill Name: Umbra Infusion
Skill Level: 1
Skill Type: Passive
Description: Moonlight was crafted with the power of the Umbra and the weapon always remembers this. Be weary though that it doesn't turn upon you. 
Damage: N/A
Effect 1: 20% Chance enemies are blinded. (Duration 5 Seconds)
AoE: N/A
Range: N/A
Cast Time: N/A
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A

[collapse]

Considering my offensive skills were extremely limited at the moment, I invested one of Moonlight's Skill Points into Shadow Edge. While the chance Umbra Explosion triggering was minimal, anything that ignored an enemy's armor was gravy. Umbra Infusion was the odd Skill, "Unlock it, trust me." Moonlight prodded and I frowned but considering it was the blades Skill Tree I followed its advice and closed it out. "Oh baby, we are going to start fucking some shit up bossWith the big fight coming up, we need every edge we can get." the blade commented before going dormant again. 

I closed the blades Skill Tree and opened up the Harbinger Skill Tree to review my own choices. I currently had only one Skill Point, but the sword had made a very good point.

    Harbinger Skill Tree    
  Shadow Bolt (Adept) Charge of the Dark (Initiate) Umbra Embrace (Initiate)  
Shadow Strike (Initiate) Dread Presence (Initiate)   Shadow Aura (Novice) Umbra Potential (Initiate)
Bog of Plagued Shadows (Initiate) Shadow Armor (Initiate)   Shadow Forge (Initiate) Umbra Strength (Requires Level 20)
Shadow Flame (Requires Level 25) Sense Intent (Requires Level 25)   Dark Strength (Requires Level 25)  Umbra Unlimited (Requires Level 30)
Dark Blast (Requires Level 35)   Dark Light (Requires Level 30)   Umbra Resurgence (Requires Level 40)
    Dark Storm (Requires Level 50)    

Enduring damage was my bread and butter, Shadow Aura currently boosted my Resistance to Light Damage and negated my Racial vulnerability to that spell school, not to mention a chance to ignore any Light-based Debuffs. Shadow Armor was a possibility, but the fact was the skill ate a huge amount of Spirit to fuel it. That left my offensive skills, my Shadow Bolt was already at Adept level and I could deal a little over one hundred and eighty Damage per shot, but again the cost quickly ate through my Spirit Pool. I pulled up the information on the bog spell and Shadow Bolt to see what would change if I increased either spell level.

Spoiler

Skill Name: Shadow Bolt
Skill Level: Adept ---> Journeyman
Skill Type: Active
Skill Description: Launch a fierce bolt of shadow energy that causes damage and also temporarily blinds the target. As your proficiency with Shadow Bolt increases, both Damage and the Duration of the enemies' blindness increases. At higher levels Shadow Bolt also has a chance of causing your enemies to suffer madness, causing your enemies to attack each other.
Damage: SS X 1.8 ---> + 0.1 Damage
Effect 1: Enemies are blinded. (Duration 10 Seconds)
Effect 2: 15% Chance that enemies will suffer Madness Debuff causing them to attack anyone, even each other. (Duration 10 Seconds) (Unlocked)
Range: 100 Yards
Duration: N/A
Cast Time: 1 Second
Cost: 75 Spirit
Cooldown: N/A

Skill Name: Bog of Plagued Shadows
Skill Level: Initiate ---> Novice
Skill Type: Active
Skill Description: Summon a bog of creeping shadows that temporarily ensnares your enemies, badly hindering movement while slowly damaging them. The Shadows of the bog are infused with a Plague from deep within the Shadowverse, damaging all your enemies while they are snared.
Damage: SS X 0.1 Plague Damage per Second ---> + 0.1 Damage
Effect 1: Enemy Attack/Movement speed is decreased by 70%. ---> +5%
AoE: 10 Yards
Range: 60 Yards
Duration: 30 Seconds ---> +10 Seconds
Cast Time: 1 Second
Cost: 125 Spirit
Cooldown: 2 Minutes

[collapse]

I did some mental calculations, while the cooldown was a killer if I brought the Bog of Plagued Shadows skill to Novice level it would deal a little over eight hundred damage over forty seconds. Not bad for a tank, but more importantly it would slow my foes by seventy-five percent throughout the spell. So far I had depended on others, but what happened if I did have to hold the line or control the field without their assistance. 

On the other hand, Shadow Bolt provided an immediate blunt offensive weapon. While it was easy for me to burn through my Spirit pool with the spell, it provided the most magical damage I could deal at this point. Add in the fact it could cause Madness at the Journeyman level, it could change the outcome of a battle. I contemplated my choices as I sat and soaked in the hot waters, contemplating what exactly the future would bring. 

9