Chapter 40- New Friends
180 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Underdark- Unending Abyss Region
Eternal Night-
Upper City

I studied the woman in front of me, she positively looked ancient but there was something about her that spoke of both power and knowledge. I quickly cast Analyze on her and read the information that was displayed.

<<<>>>

Name: Andria Oakleaf
Level: ???
Class: ???
Health: ???
Stamina: ???
Spirit: ???
Description: Dryads are intricately tied to the land and specific trees and/or groves. These being have been known to live hundreds, if not thousands of years depending on their bonded Trees and their inherent power they gain from both their Dryad mother and Mortal fathers. Destroying either their bonded trees or groves, could cripple or even kill them. 

<<<>>>

Andria arched an eyebrow as a bemused grin twisted her lips, "Find everything you were looking for boy?" she asked me and Sessa snarled a word causing a Fireball to appear in her hand as she took a step towards the Dryad.

"Watch your tongue you dried up old--" I cut her off by stepping between them and grabbing her wrist before she could fling her spell. While we had all gained strength compared to where we had been, I did not doubt in my mind the Dryad could still kill all three of us if she wanted to. 

"Sessa, we are guests in her home, we will act accordingly. We need her, she does not need us." I told her calmly and the Fireball slowly died down as the Pyromancer calmed down. I smiled and hugged her causing her to relax into me. "Breath my little firebrand, she was trying to get a rise out of me. Not you. I do not doubt that she knows who and what I am and is testing me for some reason. Why is the better question at this point." I told her before stepping back and looking at the Dryad who smiled.

"An Elder that thinks before he acts, perhaps I will see it all before the end." Andria continued to study me, her frown growing. "You have a long road ahead of you Jacob Longstrider, one fraught with love, glory, war, and ruin. Some of the greatest stories have the same elements, the question is how will yours end?" Andria asked and I chuckled and shrugged my shoulders.

"If I could see the future, what would the point of choice. I have no idea what lays ahead of me, I can only do what I can." I told her and she nodded before crocking her finger at me and I leaned closer to her frail form.

"She marked you, a blessing and a way to keep track of you. Be wary of Nyx's gifts, but she does have an eye for talent," she whispered and I froze in surprise. Not even Talia had noticed what the Primordial had done, yet this Dryad had sussed it out in ten minutes. "I agree to take over this grove, but I will decide what is harvested and there will be a personal cost from you Lord Longstrider. One I expect you to personally fulfill," she demanded and I nodded in agreement. 

"As long as it does nothing to endanger my people or settlement, I think we can agree," I told her and she smiled knowingly. "Gather what you need, we will meet and the gate in one hour. Don't be late." I told her before leaving the woman's house and shivering. 

After about a block I stopped and took a breath and looked at Sessa and Chalxae, "Was that weird, or was it just me?" I asked them and they snorted in amusement. 

"Dryads are an odd folk, more in-tune with Ithea than almost any other Race. While they are not Seer's per say, some of the oldest Dryads and folk like them can predict the future based on their own experiences and what the land tells them." Chalxae replied enigmatically as she stared at me. "That was what I was taught about them, and to heed their warnings." the Drow stated before looking away. 

"Either way let's go. We got to meet up with Drax and see what potential recruits he has for us." I told them and with a slight nod, we moved off again. While the market in the upper city had once been more high-brow and for the elite and super-rich, with what remained of the cities population pushed into the upper city everything had changed. The market had been turned into a place to buy and sell what few goods were produced still and a place where to hire anyone looking for work. With the fall of House Night Dweller, Tantibus, and Lami, their former Thralls that had survived the attack upon the cities keep had flooded the market looking for work or a new House. 

The remaining Houses though were tentative to hire former Thralls of Houses that had been destroyed while in rebellion to the throne. Only the best, most powerful, and the brightest had been snatched up leaving a few dozen former Thralls looking for any possible chance to support themselves and their families. However with the Lower City once again reclaimed I knew many of them would be hired for the reclamation projects, so I had to move fast to claim anyone willing to stand with me and the risk settling in a dangerous location. 

Drax waved us over as soon as he spotted us, I noticed a few figures with him. One was a Gnome, two Humans, a High Elf, and a Dwarf of some sort. Only the Dwarf looked reluctant to be there, but the point was that he was there. "My lord, these are the candidates that have come foreword and I have approved. All of them are battle-tested and have serviceable equipment." Drax commented before I could ask anything. 

I studied them and I got an odd sense from the Dwarf who did his best to ignore me. "If any of you have questions or concerns, please feel free to speak up now," I told them, as I studied each one and finally gave in and used Analyze on them.

Spoiler

Name: Thelgrum Orcbane
Level: 24
Class: Paladin
Health: 1,480
Stamina: 720
Spirit: 640
Description: Dwarves are found on both the surface and Underdark. This Race while more numerous than Elves, are still long lives and proficient warriors and craftsmen. Mountain Dwarves have strong ties to the stone and metals and are some of the best Blacksmiths in all of Ithea.

Name: Fenwyn Cabot
Level: 20
Class: Warlock
Health: 320
Stamina: 280
Spirit: 600
Description: Gnomes are one of the most enterprising Races on Ithea. Light, Dark, they do not care, they have a thirst for knowledge and wanderlust to explore the unknown. Arcane Gnomes have a predilection towards magic and the various arcane practices used throughout Ithea.

Name: Mug Ruith
Level: 22
Class: Druid
Health: 380
Stamina: 240
Spirit: 740
Description: Humans are some of the prolific Races on Ithea. They can be found almost anywhere, and can assume almost any Class or Specialization due to their diversity. 

Name: Rory Bearfist
Level: 20
Class: Berserker
Health: 740
Stamina: 800
Spirit: 300
Description: Humans are some of the prolific Races on Ithea. They can be found almost anywhere and can assume almost any Class or Specialization due to their diversity. 

Name: Lia Darktouch
Level: 23
Class: Necromancer
Health: 320
Stamina: 280
Spirit: 760
Description: Elves are the longest-lived of the Mortal Race on Ithea. If not killed in battle, by accident, or by disease, theoretically they could live forever. High Elves are some of the most proficient wielders of magic and are gifted Alchemists and Enchanters that few can match. 

[collapse]

"What dangers are we facing? Are you going to just throw us against whatever threats you face?" Fenwyn asked and I studied the little Gnome. 

She stood about four feet tall, meaning she was face to face with my waste. While she was small, she had the right curves, darker hair, and bright blue eyes. I smiled, "I won't ever do that to you or anyone else." I told her and looked at the Dwarf. "What is your problem?" I asked him, trying to cut through any bullshit. 

"You are a Dark Templar!" Thelgrum replied and I nodded. "Your kind, we hear stories told of them. Some say you are evil, some say you are good. My patron god Moradin, says you are the living embodiment of darkness and evil." the Dwarf responded and I snorted in amusement. 

"You are more than willing to talk to my Thralls and ask them if anything I have done is evil. I don't think I have taken one evil action since I came here though. Brutal at times, but nothing more than one of your kin would do in defending their people or kingdoms." I told the Dwarf before looking at the others. "Any other questions or concerns? Now is the time to voice them and you are free to ask about anything." I prodded them again. 

"What threats are we facing?" Rory responded and I looked at the big Human.

He was the epitome of a Berserker, decked out in medium armor and heavy armor with an axe strapped to his back, Rory looked like barely controlled violence ready to be unleashed at the drop of a hat. "Besides the normal Underdark threats, we have pissed off House Dhalmass and will be on the front lines of any combat against them. We also face a Dungeon with a Call to Arms Quest related to it and we have less than three days to clear it." I told them and more than one grimace was thrown my way. "I never said it was going to be easy, but I will be there with you every step of the way," I told them.

Thelgrum stopped whatever whispered conversation he was having with Drax and looked at me, "What type of Call to Arms?" he prodded.

Being a Paladin, I was sure he had faced his fair share of threats and knew what was at stake. "Demons from what I can tell. Interested in stopping it?" I prodded and the Dwarf sighed in resignation and nodded. 

"What do you expect from us?" Lia asked as she grabbed Rory's hand and I chuckled as the big man blushed at the open contact and blatant display of their relationship.

I shrugged my shoulders, "Your personal life is your own and none of my business as long as it stays out of my own business. No, I do not expect my Thralls to warm my bed or anything else." I told her and she studied me and looked at my Thralls before nodding in acceptance. 

I turned and looked at the Human that had not voiced any questions or concerns. "Do you have anything to say?" I asked the Druid.

He shook his head, "Not at all my lord, I have worked with Drax and for a time we were in the same House. I trust him and his judgment and will gladly accept your patronage." Mug responded and I looked at the Orc who nodded in agreement. I trusted him, so if he chooses the Druid he had his reasons and I trusted them without question. 

"Ok, and for the record, if anyone wants to be released at any time, I have no problem with that. So a day, month, or year down the road and you want to go another way, I will release you from being a Thrall with a wave goodbye and good luck." I told them and after some final deliberation, they all agreed. Being level twenty-one, I could only Enthrall four people a day, but either way, they would all join my House. 

8