Chapter 50- That’s a Well of a Problem
160 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Underdark- Unending Abyss Region
Nightwell Fortress- Dark Oak Grove

I watched as the guards and work crews prepared the tunnel and area outside it. With a pending Swarm, I wanted to ensure the chances of success at not only surviving but keeping control of the grove. It was an essential resource for the settlement and Eternal Night, so we could not afford to lose it. The temporary defenses were crucial in the short term, I had long-term thoughts but for now, they were secondary to claiming the grove and securing. "You did not lie, Lord Longstrider." I turned to face the Dryad who was studying me. "I half expected only a single tree, maybe two, not a whole grove much less a spring as well," Andria stated and I nodded. 

"As long as you keep to the agreement, the grove is yours to watch over and maintain. Betray your oaths, and I will personally burn it to the ground." I told her and anger flashed across her face but I gave her no room to welch on our agreement. She gave me a tight nod of acceptance. "Good, I have plenty of enemies Adria, I won't have one in my backyard as well. You are not a pet or animal, I will respect you. I just ask for the same in return." I told her and after a few moments, she smiled and bowed slightly. 

"As you say, my lord. Now to seal our Accord." Andria responded as she moved closer and I frowned. Before I could do or say anything, she pulled my head down and kissed me, I froze up slightly causing her to smile as she deepened the kiss before stepping away leaving me bewildered. "Remember to keep your part of the Accord my lord," Adria stated before sauntering off deeper into the grove as I shook my head as more than one bemused grin was thrown my way. 

I shook my head and tried not to blush, "Yeah, yeah, laugh it up." I told them causing more than one bark of laughter to break out as I shook my head in embarrassment as I brought up the waiting notification.

<<<>>>

Notice: You have made an Accord with Andria Oakleaf. Breaking an Accord can have serious short and long-term consequences. 

<<<>>>

I dismissed the information. Since I started playing Fate Online, I had only made three other agreements recognized as an Accord and I had fulfilled every single one. This was the first time I had created an Accord that could not be completed in a few days, but the long-term rewards made it more than worth it in my eyes. Andria would have nominal control of the grove as well as which trees would be cut down. As long as the Dark Oak trees continued to be harvested, I didn't care which ones were cut or when. 

I dismissed my companions joking and looked at the ongoing preparations, a hundred of the guards and nearly fifty of the new citizens were carving out hasty defenses in and around the tunnel that led to the grove. The bulk of the work was done, but even if we had more time, we would continue with the preparations. Swarms came in waves, every type of monster that populated the nearby Underdark would swarm towards the cavern in waves trying to breakthrough. 

Once the bonding was finished between Andria and the grove, the ambient magic would stabilize and the Dryad would be able to defend the grove herself from all but the most persistent attacks. While allocating the workers to assist with creating the defenses would slow construction in Nightwell Fortress, it was only a short-term effect. All the workers would be back within the confines of the fortress within the next hour. 

I was brought out of my musing and thoughts by an approaching Drow who bowed slightly, "My lord, I was wondering if those who wished to stay and continue to harvest the grove, may do so." I studied the woman and triggered Analyze to get her name.

"Elise, while I appreciate your dedication to work, your wages will not be garnished for any missed work. What is coming is beyond your control." I told the Drow thinking she was worried about any lost money and she shook her head.

"No my lord, some of us wish to stand and fight if necessary. I know we are not part of the guard, but all those who wish to say have both combat training and some experience." Elise replied and I considered her request as I drummed my fingers on Moonlight's hilt.

"You realize, I cannot assure anyone safety, and that people will be hurt or even die in the next couple of days," I told her and she gave me a nod. "Very well Mistress Willows, anyone who wishes to help defend the grove may report to Sergeant Shadowsteel before the work crew is sent back to the settlement. If they stay, they need to know how to follow orders. Is that understood?" I asked the Drow earning a nod and bow before she strode away. 

Drax strode up studying me, "It's a risk Jacob." the Shaman warned me and I nodded my head in agreement.

"I understand that, but these people lost everything in the last war. They need to know while I will stand beside them and fight with and for them, I will not stop them from fighting for themselves as well. Mark my words Drax, war is coming no matter what we want. House Dhalmass assured that the moment they started manipulating events in this area. The only question is which side will prevail." I told the Orc in reply. Before the Orc could reply, I felt an odd...pulse of energy and a thickening of the air around me causing more than one person to look around as an Alert flashed in front of my eyes.

<<<>>>

Event Notice: An Ancient Dark Oak Grove and Spirit Well has been claimed. Wild surges of rampant magic will fill the nearby area causing spontaneous Monster Evolutions and ignite a Swarm attack as the nearby monsters try to claim the abundant energy as their own. While within 100 Yards of the Spirit Well, Spirit Regeneration is increased by 10%, +10% Spell Strength, +5% Critical Hit Chance with all Spells. (Duration: 48 Hours)

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Root of a Problem

Description: Your settlements Dark Oak Grove has been claimed by a Dryad. Due to the groves nature, wild, uncontrolled magic is filling the air will cause a Swarm to occur. For the next (48) Hours, the grove can come under attack from random Monsters. These creatures will be stronger and even unique due to the situation. If the grove should fall, the Dark Oak Grove will become a Monster Lair.

Quest Class: Settlement Event; Personal

Quest Difficulty: Hard

Success: Keep the Dark Oak Grove secure from any monster that would claim it as its own. Keep the Heart of the Grove safe for (48) Hours

Failure: Allow the Heart of the Grove to fall to a monster.

Rewards: Unknown

<<<>>>

I read the information carefully and shook my head, well at least our mages would have an easier time. "SERGEANT!" I called out and the Duergar immediately looked my way. "Get those heading back to Nightwell on the road. Detail fifty to escort them back and stay there. I want a watch set on the mouth of the tunnel while the remaining soldiers continue their preparations." I told the Duergar who saluted and started barking out orders. 

Everything was set, the Captain knew the watch rotation we had planned and everything was set with the guards. The walls were about two-thirds completed and would have been finished if I hadn't pulled the work crews to help with setting up the defenses. "What about me my lord?" I looked over at Abraxxus.

While the man was a powerful mage and a deadly caster to boot with centuries of experience, securing the settlement was more important. "Go back to Nightwell, you are in command while I am here. See to the defenses and ensure the settlement does not fall to the Swarm or anyone else who would see it as an opportune moment to strike." I told the Lich. 

Abraxxus bowed and walked off as I turned to the others who were keeping a vigilant watch on our surroundings. "This will be a different fight than a Dungeon run or the normal monsters of the Underdark. This is going to be dangerous, unlike what we have seen before. If any of you want to head to Nightwell with the others, I won't think less of you." I told my companions, Thralls, and Family. The people, outside my real-life friends I called family, had become the closest thing to a real, live family, even if they were digital. 

"We are staying here, don't be an idiot!" Chalxae snapped and I smiled at her and bowed slightly. 

"Of course my little shadow, I never doubted you," I told her as I moved off to help dig in, I knew it was going to get worse before it got better, I just hoped we were prepared. 


Underdark- Unending Abyss Region
City of Eternal Night- Upper City
Shadow's Fall Keep

"My queen!" I turned and looked up to see Isiah stride into the room and salute. 

I snorted in amusement and waved it off. "What is it, captain?" I asked as I fought another bout of weariness. Ever since the Seal had been broken, I had started paying the price for everything we had done. Being an Archmage allowed the individual access to a slew of spell normal mages did not, but each had a price to pay.

"Sara and Daniel succumbed ma'am," Isiah reported and I grimaced and shook my head as I sat back in my chair as the bone-deep weariness continued to eat away at me.

"Are their families aware?" I asked the man that had guarded the royal family for centuries.

"Yes ma'am. That leaves six more ma'am before--" I cut him off with a glare.

"Do not talk about it Captain, not ever!" I snapped before sighing and pinching the bridge of my nose. "I am sorry Isiah, but the other Houses cannot know of this until everything is ready. He needs more time and if they pull me down, they will go after him as well. We have to buy him more time to prepare." I told my old friend who nodded.

Isiah relaxed slightly, almost as if he was deflating. "Are you sure there is no other way? No other we can trust among the High Houses?" the other Vampire prodded and I snorted.

"You and I both know, none of the High Houses even with all their political strength, can keep our people united. It takes someone from our House, no one else. Not to mention all those power-hungry assholes would use it for their ends, not for the betterment of our people." I told him as I stretched my arms and tried to work the kinks out of my back. "We stick to the plan, we prepare them and him, and with a little bit of luck everything will be alright," I told him as I went back to reading various expense reports. 

5