Chapter 54-THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!
164 3 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Underdark- Unending Abyss Region
Nightwell Fortress- Dread Hall

I studied the two Drow, both of who did everything in their power to not look at me. Their questioning was done by the captain and we had all the information we needed. "Turn them over to the Queen, maybe her people can be more inventive in their questioning and with what to ask. Whoever goes, make sure they have a Portal Scroll to get back. We will need all hands on deck to defend ourselves." I told Captain Thardan Dulkam.

He saluted quickly before barking out orders to the quartet of guards who moved off to send the two prisoners to Eternal Night. "Let's meet in my office in ten minutes. Bring who you want to, I will send a message to Abraxxus to bring anyone he deems necessary from the populace. Nothing gets out until I am ready to make an announcement, but make sure you send a couple of squads to reinforce the grove." I told the Captain who nodded once before running off to organize the guards. 

I moved off towards the private quarters and checked on my companions. All three women were in a deep sleep, almost dead as the transformation continued to change their bodies. I had no idea how long it would take, but Abraxxus had said it generally took between twelve and twenty-four hours before the Sired would wake. Plenty of food and blood had been set aside, but the Lich had requested I give them more notice next time I decided to Sire more than one person at a time. I happily informed him I planned on bringing back four Immortals with me after traveling to Ineford.

I quickly pulled up my Menu and sent off a message to the Lich, giving him a rough update on what we had found out from the two scouts and the meeting I expected him to attend with any community leaders before pulling up my waiting notifications.

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Root of a Problem

Description: Despite the best efforts of over (12) waves of a Swarm, you managed to keep the heart of the Dark Oak Grove intact and safe. This is your people's first victory, but will it be their last? Your Logging Camp is now safe and you can harvest the trees there with little worry, for the Mistress of the Grove is watching. You have received 10,000 Experience, Dark Oak Grove and the related resources have been fully unlocked, +100 to Settlement War Spirit, +50 to Settlement Loyalty, Morale, and Productivity.

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Dark Brother

Notice: You have completed this hidden Quest and freed the Dwarven God, Dumathoin from his long imprisonment. What short and long-term consequences this will cause, only time will tell but the god will always remember the aid you rendered him. Your Reputation with the worshipers of Dumathoin has increased to Exalted, your Reputation with the God Dumathoin has increased to Honored, your Reputation with the kingdom of Dark Iron Thiag has increased to Unfriendly, and you have received a Magic Core.

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Dark Blessing

Description: The Dark God, Dumathoin, has promised to Bless a shrine that you construct in his name. This is a one-time event, most Blessings are placed by Paladins, Priests, or Clerics, so it is unknown what will happen.

Quest Class: Settlement; Personal

Quest Difficulty: Unknown

Success: Have a Shrine constructed and dedicated to the Dwarven God Dumathoin to receive his Blessing

Failure: Do not construct a Shrine dedicated to Dumathoin

Rewards: Unknown

<<<>>>

Notice: Your Death Warrant and Warrant for Detainment within the kingdom of Dark Iron Thiag and all allied Thiags has been rescinded.

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Settlement Set-Up

Notice: You have the core buildings to ensure your settlement will continue to develop and prosper. Only time will tell what your settlement will become. You have received 1,000 Experience, +50 to your Settlements Loyalty, Morale, and Productivity, Blueprints for an Engineers Hut, and Marketplace

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Taming the Web!

Notice: You have not only found someone with the ability to tame a monster, but you have also found the perfect location to house your new spider farm. The previously known Broken Warren is now known as the Shadow-Web Warren. Your settlement will now be able to harvest spider meat, spider webbing, and maybe even someday spider mounts given time. You have received 5,000 Experience, new Resources for your Settlement (Nightwell) have been unlocked, +50 to your Settlement Morale and Productivity

<<<>>>

Building Name: Logging Camp
Building Level: 1
Building Durability: 10,000
Description: Logging Camps are created to harvest wood. As this Logging Camp resides in the Underdark, it is a rare occurrence for there are few Dark Oak Groves and they only exist within the Underdark. More importantly, a Spirit Well also exists within the nearby grove and it will affect the yield of your harvest. 
Effect 1: +10% more Yield from all harvested trees
Effect 2: +5% increased rate that trees will be harvested
Effect 3: +5% chance that rarer materials will be harvested from Dark Oak Trees

Building Name: Shadow-Web Warren (Unique)
Building Level: 1
Building Durability: 50,000
Description: This warren was once a prison and has been repurposed for another use to house a colony of Spiderlings. Still, energies emitted by both Lolth and Dumathoin linger and may one day have long-term effects upon the denizens that dwell here. This warren at its current level can only be used to harvest spider meat and spider silk, but at higher levels, the denizens could eventually be used as Mounts.
Effect 1: +10% to Spiderling Reproduction
Effect 2: +10% to Spiderling Size
Effect 3: Spider Meat can be harvested from denizens. (Locked, Duration 30 Days)
Effect 4: Spider Silk can be harvested from the warren. (Locked, Duration 30 Days)
Effect 5: Once a day per Building Level, denizens may be called upon to assist in the defense of the Settlement. (Locked, Duration 30 Days)

Note* Due to the Spiderling Queen being newly birthed, the Shadow-Web Warren cannot be cultivated for (30) Days.

<<<>>>

Well, that was a nice bonus that I did not expect. It also opened up some possibilities to pave the wave for some other moves I planned on making. Not yet though. I dismissed the information as the others started to file into the room. 

I manipulated the display causing an overview of the whole settlement including the resources claimed by the settlement. The newly opened Shadow-Web Warren had turned out to be a big bonus and made me wonder what would have happened if I had handed it over to the Queen so she could have used the egg. 

I waited until everyone had filed in and the door was closed before looking at Abraxxus. With a word and wave, "This meeting is private, as you all know House Dhalmass once ruled this settlement and caused no end of trouble in this area of the Underdark. They were moving massive resources here to claim this area of the Underdark and we have figured out why. We also know that they have sent a small army to retake this settlement that will be here within a day. They number around three hundred and fifty, most will be War Slaves, but they do have a core of House Guard with them. This meeting is to determine who will stay, who will be evacuated, and determine the strategy to face this threat." I told them before going silent as the questions started coming. 

The noise steadily rose higher as the rate of the questions did and I shook my head. Abraxxus snapped his fingers causing a small thump of thunder within the room. "You will act according to your station and age ladies and gentlemen or I will remove you. You were all warned that coming here would be dangerous, but we are carving out a new home and creating a civilization. Act like those people I know who you are." Lich stated and I nodded my thanks causing the man to bow slightly. 

"Now, the settlement defenses are in place, but I don't think they will make it that far," I told them as I pointed to the glowing map. "I want to hit them on the march, from the Dark Oak Grove tunnel. We already have defenses emplaced there and half the traps we created were not even tripped. We attack them from that tunnel, pull the majority of their forces there and we use the advantage of the confined space to nullify their numerical advantages." I told them and looked at the two City Guard leaders who studied the map and nodded their heads absently. 

"Aye, we can do that my lord. Split the guard as we did before when we dealt with the Swarm and call up anyone willing to fight as well." Thardan commented but then frowned and looked at me. "I should warn you, my lord, if they have a seasoned commander, they will send only a minimal force to bottle up your attack. That is what I would do, and use the majority of my force to press on towards the settlement." the Duergar cautioned and I nodded in agreement to his point.

"True, but you forget one thing, this is a Drow House, led by one of their females. They will see the attack as a personal affront to their authority and wish to crush it. From what the scouts told us, the Swordmaster leading the attack would follow your plan of action, but the female in charge is trying to prove herself to the House council and Matron. She will move to crush our counterattack from the start." I told the Duergar.

"Good, the main tunnel through that part of the Underdark is about one hundred yards wide, more than big enough for small formations to march through. So what can we do to disrupt that and piss them off?" I asked them as we got to work hashing out a plan.


Underdark- Unending Abyss Region

I looked up and down the line, half the War Slaves were suffering Debuffs from the long forced march. Food supplies were also becoming crucially low and without an infusion of supplies, we would lose more on the march back without stopping and purchasing supplies at Ineford. That was assuming we couldn't take the settlement back. 

It was doubtful that the Orc and Kobold Tribes located nearby would hold the settlement, neither one needed the additional resources nor did they have the forces and people to hold and develop a new settlement. However, the foreword scouts that had been sent to report any changes or forces had failed to check-in. I looked over at Lady Dyrr, she and the Acolytes following her looked nervous for some reason. 

I nudged my lizard closer to her, "What is it?" I asked her and she glared at me. 

"You answer to me Swordma--" her response was cut off as a wave of fire, ice, lightning, and other magical effects slammed up and down along the line. 

I dove off Claw and looked over to see a solid line of soldiers with a knot of mages flinging spells up and down our line. I could see Fire Storms, Ice Storms, and blasts of Chain Lightning tearing through the War Slaves and cut down dozens leaving them crippled or dead. 

"JANUS!" I called out and my second came running over. "Sound the horn to rally, we will fall back and---" I was cut off as Dyrr showed up and shook her head.

"NO! You will press the attack. Destroy the rabble and we will retake the settlement." she commanded and I just stared at her and wondered at her stupidity. "NOW SWORDMASTER!" she barked out before she moved off. I looked after her and shook my head in disgust before looking at Janus and gave him a resigned nod. 

6