Chapter 6 – First Words
15 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Water dribbled between the hairs of Barlar’s skin as he found his hardest liquor still intact. The room's destruction was evident to any who would open the door but had been so void of noise that none outside were the wiser. Skipping any container to hold it, Barlar began to chug as he had seen the human doing mere moments before, his fear and curiosity growing, although uncertain which was winning he felt the liquor was helping to remove the fear.

 

Barlar felt the elf was codling the monstrous human-like a mother would. Its voice again could be heard chatting mysterious words, making Barlar chug faster. When he spoke Barlar began to have the impression he was speaking to himself as if talking to another. This only caused the bottle to be emptied quickly after and the water flowing down his back to slow down. An empty bottle later and more murmuring from the human did nothing to settle his nerves. Barlar finally had enough of everything happening, skirting around the crater in the center of the room towards the door, a movement quickly frozen from the haunting finger pointing at him.

 

“Kat begin language processing starting with that dwarf.” I ordered my new mental companion as I pointed at the dwarf frozen in his attempt to flee the room. Although the interaction rate and response time was slower than before, it had become far more manageable.

 

“Quick processing power is likely to exceed current abilities. More would need to be acquired, the risk of mental shock is also relatively high. Unknown variables exist in forced processing, suggesting slower language processing.” Kat’s reply felt cold, factual, and inhuman. I was planning to deal with that later, but that wasn’t a simple concept and I needed results now.

 

“Slow and steady wins the race.” Before my sentence finished I could feel the dialogue of previous words, phrases, and sounds coming up from my memory since I had found myself here.

 

“Memory dialogue insufficient. Several words identified. Suggesting initiating focused dialogue.” Kat once again felt so cold as the machine she represented in my mind. It was helping me to communicate with anything but was far from relieving to the touch. Standing up I again pointed at the dwarf speaking anything I could to initiate a conversation. Watching him I saw his eyes dart between me and the elf raising his hands in defense. His first was short but enough for me to record it in real-time.

 

“Kat help me mimic what he said.” The audio played in a loop and then segmented in chunks so that I could attempt to repeat it back to him. Trying it several times before I confidently spoke it to his face. His eyes widened a bit as he spoke more words back to me. This process repeated for minutes until the feeling came first.

 

“Words identified. Structuring to assist in vocal pronunciation. Language and communication limited. Do you wish for me to guide or engage on your behalf?” Kats' question was one I knew all too well, handing myself over to an automated life, but for once it was filled with confidence when I declined. It took several more minutes for me to finally calm the dwarf enough into sitting in what remained of the destroyed furniture. The destruction I finally started to take notice of and would seek an answer later for.

 

It felt like hours had passed since Barlar decided to stay behind to the blabbering human. Each minute he could see him getting better control of the dwarven tongue enough to hold a terrible passing conversation.

 

“I think it's enough with the nonsense talk of you pointing and repeating what I say. I can tell you know enough already to understand complex questions and give some form of an answer. Yes?” Barlar asked as he stood up to grab a pipe that was covered in a soft dew from the incident earlier. A confirmation by the human was enough for Barlar as he began to smoke heavily of his pipe. Should his wife see him now she would rejoice his ignorant run to an early grave with all he had partaken in of this time since he returned home with the human. As the gods know she had been telling him to quit smoking for years.

 

“First question I have is who are you?” Barlar began his interrogation with pipe in mouth and his right foot tapping the ground with a murderous look.

 

“I am a lead engineer in the Mano corporation located out of the New York branch.”

 

“I only understand that you're some engineer. A man of science and tinkering, okay. Next question. How did you get into that stone?”

 

“I don’t know what stone you're talking about, but the last memory I had was engaging our prototype stasis protocol.”

 

“Nothing gained there, okay. Third question what are you?”

 

“I think I can understand from the context of your question. I am human.”

 

“So the elf was right. Final question and most important. Do you have any intention to harm me or another?”

 

“I apologize for any harm of my previous actions. I had no intentions to harm another and have none now.”

 

“As much as I doubt that answer you have not truly harmed another, YET. There is an armed guard outside this estate, any attempts to leave will be treated as hostile. You will remain here until otherwise notified. Understand?” Barlars final question was met with a voiceless nod to confirm. He stood up to begin plans for this human's remaining stay.

 

“Oh yes I had forgotten. What do you call yourself?” Barler pointed with his pipe.

 

“Marlen. I got by Marlen.” The humans response was quickly followed by a demand from Avala.

 

“Tell him to stay in here. I wish to have him learn my tongue if possible. There is much I can learn from a human.” Was relayed through Barlar to his new guest Marlen. Finally giving him the freedom to remove himself from the room. His maid was patiently preparing a bed upstairs already. With a quick nod from Barlar the message was relayed that he would indeed be having his expected guest. The guards in the courtyard were busy assembling a makeshift campsite in his front yard as Barlar approached them.

 

“You will need to double the guards at minimum. It is suggested you bring a scholar as well. This threat is more promising and threatening than expected.” Barlars orders were not lost as the guard called for a messenger. In silence, a scroll was handed across to the captain of the unit who relayed the information necessary to the messenger, whose feet quickly could be heard clapping as it took off moments later. Finally, Barlar decided he would be kipping any attempt of a meal tonight and carried a fresh bottle to his bed as he attempted to close his eyes from the nightmare that had become his life.

 

The sound of chatter and clinking metal on glazed clay awoke Barlar as he dressed himself to head into the dining hall. His new guests were conversing over a fresh meal that looked drooling appetizing to Barlar after a quick growl of the stomach.

 

“Marlen has told me a great deal of the place he was from. It sounds like it was from the very heavens themselves.” The joy was clearly plastered across the elf’s face, something such a stoic race was hard to reveal.

 

“We can talk more of that later. For now, I am here to eat.” Barlar’s temper from a void stomach was evident as he ate in silence.

 

“So from what I can remember. You both sounded surprised when you found out I was human. Why is that? Are we rare species or something?” Marlen asked jokingly with the first smile on his face as he had finally overcome the barrier to communication.

 

“We can talk about that. . .”Avala quickly was cut off.

 

“None has honestly claimed to see a human in at least a thousand years.” Barlars reply was harsh as his current attitude. 

1