Chapter 16 – The system just improved itself?!
1.6k 22 68
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Eli got off the bed and went to the bathroom to take care of morning hygiene. When he was about to habitually shave, he saw the smooth glossy skin on his face and smiled bitterly. It seems like he won't be needing to shave for a long time...

Eli then went for a morning run, some stretches, and had breakfast. After being done with these, Eli switched the morning news on. On the news, the human trafficking racket massacre was reported as a police bust on human trafficking. Eli was glad that it ended like this. This means that the police started actively covering for him! Who cares if the police claimed credit for it or not as long as he is not troubled by it!

After watching the news a bit, Eli booked a hotel room near the target, just next to Manhattan. Eli did not hold back and booked an expensive suite costing 150$ a night for 2 days for a total of 300$. The first reason was that he wanted to relax more, and the second reason was that he was 'hungry' now. No action for almost two months would do it to you.

Eli locked the house, hailed a cab, and arrived at the place after a few hours. The place was called Comfort Inn & suites. Not a bad place, considering all the extra services provided such as breakfast and a gym. The room he booked had a king-sized bed too.

After checking in and going to his room and unpacking everything, it was now 10 in the morning. He then remembered that he wanted to check if he got any time on his Time Stipend now, and lo and behold. He had 3 minutes. It appears that every morning it regenerates.

 Eli now had 17 points left. He only needs 10 points for an upgrade in the evening. That means he can now use 7 points freely. He wanted to upgrade firearm mastery.

Firearm Mastery lvl 0: Obtain increased proficiency in all types of firearms, as if trained for 3 months as a professional soldier. If already proficient, it will increase proficiency further.

He wanted to test it and see how good this skill can get. lvl 0 cost 2 points, and he confirmed the purchase. Immediately felt information cramming into his head and even into his muscle memories in the subconscious mind. It was very uncomfortable, and he also got a headache after. He immediately felt like his proficiency with guns improved by a notch. It was not too much, since he was already proficient, to begin with. But if he was confident that before he could get 3 10 pointers and 7 9 pointers in a 100-yard range with a pistol, he could now hit 4 or 5 10 pointers instead. Also, he even got knowledge about many firearms that he had never used! It even taught him how to maintain them! Even sci-fi weapons that he never saw or heard of were included!

Eli wanted to try and get the lvl 1 upgrade, and see what would happen, so he checked the skill shop, but now, it was greyed out. Eli thought that it was maybe just like the case in evolving himself, and it had a cooldown, so to avoid harming the brain. He then reasoned, "I guess the brain will need to be more powerful to handle suddenly cramming more knowledge inside it. Let's first get Nerves and then Cognition after that..."

After Eli was done, he had 15 points left. He then contemplated on what to do now. After thinking for a while, he decided to get a proper haircut from a barber and some higher class clothing and shoes, as well as new cologne and deodorant. It was not to just hit on girls, it was also for the new year celebration at Ramón's place. The clothes, shoes, and cologne he currently had were really just too poor and shabby.

Eli first walked to a barbershop and got a decent haircut in Los boricuas barbershop. It was nearby and was also highly recommended, so he tried it and was satisfied. He then went to get some clothes and shoes in the 3rd Ave. street. He window-shopped in a few shops before he got all the clothing he needed. He did not get himself clothes too high class or fancy, just articles that were good enough for small celebrations and picking up girls casually. He spent a total of 970$ dollars on everything. On a side note, he got 2 phone numbers slipped into his pants by two cute shop attendants. And he wasn't even trying! He figured out that it was because of vitality. It made him even more handsome than before, and now he was a literal chick magnet! The two girls looked like a 7, so if he didn't manage to get a better catch, then he would have a fallback plan.

When he finished all that, he went back to the apartment and started learning the basics of gambling. Eli never gambled before, but he planned on doing so in Vegas. While there was a native American casino in NYC, it was all mechanical. He wanted to play with a real dealer since he believed that machines are tilted in the end, and will never let him truly win big time.

He wasted time until 18:30, and when he checked the evolution upgrades option, it was white again. He selected then selected the Nerve upgrade option.

Nerves lvl 1: Increases nerve capacity, nerve flexibility, nerve toughness, and Maximum Nerve transmission speed. 

"Hm... As expected, no warnings. Let's check the Cognition just in case..."

Cognition lvl 1: Increases the overall Cognition of the brain. Dampens effects of senses on judgment capacity. Allows learning either 5 lvl 0 skills or 1 lvl 1 skill per day. Warning: Without Nerves lvl 1, the nerves might get strained and fried.

"As expected... But why is it just giving a warning instead of limiting the person? Won't people just kill themselves if they stupidly select something without reading the instructions?"

Just as Eli said that, suddenly, Cognition grayed out! Not just Cognition, but toughness, agility, and senses also grayed out! Next to the prices, requirements were present now too!

[Strength Upgrade lvl 1 price: 10, Requires Vitality lvl 1]
[Vitality Upgrade lvl 2 price: 100 points, 5 lvl 1 monster crystals]
[Toughness Upgrade lvl 1 price: 10, Requires Strength lvl 1]
[Agility Upgrade lvl 1 price: 10, Requires Cognition lvl 1, Dexterity lvl 1]
[Dexterity Upgrade lvl 1 price: 10]
[Cognition Upgrade lvl 1 price: 10, Requires Nerves lvl 1]
[Nerves Upgrade lvl 1 price: 10]
[Senses Upgrade lvl 1 price: 10, Requires Cognition lvl 1]
[Instinct Upgrade lvl 2 price: 100 points, 5 lvl 1 monster crystals]
[Immunity Upgrade lvl 2 price: 100 points, 5 lvl 1 monster crystals]
[Mana Conductivity Upgrade lvl 1 price: 10]
[Mana Core Upgrade lvl 1 price: 10]
[Mana Sense Upgrade lvl 1 price: 10]

"What the heck is going on? Could it be... The system just learned from what I just said and patched itself?! Then why is it not communicating with me if it has intelligence? Is it a self-learning algorithm or something?"

Eli scratched his head, trying to figure out what the heck just happened. After a few minutes, he gave up and decided to just upgrade Nerves to lvl 1. After he confirmed the purchase, he lost consciousness. His mind just shut down to protect itself from the inhuman pain. 2 minutes later, Eli regained consciousness. In all honesty, he did not feel different at all, and he did not expect to feel different. Upgrading the nerves just laid the groundwork for Cognition, nothing else.

Eli checked the clock, and it was not 18:50. He thought for a minute, before checking the battery life of the stealth-boy. Out of the 3-hour battery life, it had 2:40 hours charged. It was more than enough. Eli wanted to finish this quickly so he can get laid tonight.

So, I saw that there was a strong opposition to let the MC have an exclusive dungeon, so I decided against it. Dungeons will just pop up like mushrooms about a month into the apocalypse. There won't be any heavy meaning like some sort of alien invasion or anything, it is just a phenomenon. Think about it like mana lungs of the planet.

And yes, we will soon finally see an R-18 chap. Cum and dump style. While this novel won't focus mainly on sex, I will try as an author, as well as a horny bastard, to try and insert an explicit scene every 10-20 chaps.

Now, I have a very interesting idea. All gunpowder weapons that are pre-apocalypse... Won't work. Nuclear weapons will also not work, and all-electric devices won't work as well. System-based gunpowder however will work though, as well as new types of gunpowder, and alternative power sources such as mana. The MC won't know about any of this pre-apocalypse. This is all to nerf the power that the military and government hold to a minimum, basically. All people get 10 starter points, and that means that they can get weapons from the system, or they can use improvised weapons made at home or the special powers some of them get. As long as they are not stupid, cowardly, or totally unlucky, they should be able to easily survive.

68