Stratagem 56: Never Tie Yourself to the Wrong Person (2)
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The two of them soon reached the Tower of Wisdom. Jing He wasn’t sure why they had come here but seeing Qiu Ling stop, he simply looked up, his eyes showing a trusting expression.

Qiu Ling glanced at him, his gaze softening when he saw the deep feelings contained in Jing He’s gaze. He smiled, glanced around, and then wrapped an arm around Jing He’s waist. “Let’s go up.” He didn’t wait for a response and simply soared into the sky, leaping onto the roof of the tower.

Reaching the destination he had thought of, he pulled Jing He to sit down with him, still keeping an arm around his waist. With a satisfied sigh, he motioned down at the city far beneath their feet. “Thinking back now, it has been ten years since we met. Even though it seems like a short amount of time compared to how long the two of us have lived, if you look at it closely, there are many memories we have made together.”

Jing He smiled and nodded faintly, his heart feeling sweet. In fact, this tower, as well, held a special memory. They had come here once before when they hadn’t been as close yet.

Qiu Ling turned to look at him, reached out with his other arm, and grabbed Jing He’s hand. “You’re probably thinking of the same thing that came to my mind: We were here before. This is one of the many experienced we’ve made together. At that time, I was very happy. I have always been while with you. I hope that you know that.”

Jing He inclined his head, giving a faint hum. After hesitating for a moment, he squeezed Qiu Ling’s hand. “I have also enjoyed the time spend with you very much.”

Qiu Ling leaned closer, his gaze not leaving Jing He’s face. “In the future, there will be even more memories to be made together. One day, I will show you the dragon realm. I will lead you through the streets of the capital city and let you experience our festivals just like I’ve been a part of yours. I will take you to the top of the highest building and sit with you in one of the teahouses, listening to somebody tell a story or play some music. Whatever there is to see and whatever you are interested in, we will go and experience it together.”

Jing He didn’t know what to say and could only nod. He loved hearing Qiu Ling speak of his plans for the future. Especially so right now, when he was insecure about how the trial would impact their relationship. Knowing that Qiu Ling was thinking of things to do after that … it put his mind greatly at ease.

Qiu Ling smiled brightly and pulled his hand closer. “When you’ve seen enough of the capital city and have tired of life in the palace, I’ll take you outside. The dragon realm is big and there is also the territory of the spiritual beasts. There are so many things to see, we could travel for years and wouldn’t have seen all of it.”

He pulled up Jing He’s hand and pressed a kiss on his knuckles. He knew his beloved hadn’t been outside much and might not be used to it. Maybe to him, even the thought was scary. “You won’t have to worry about a thing when the time comes. We can take it slowly. Just a trip here and there. It doesn’t even have to be anything big. And wherever we go, I will be at your side. You won’t be alone for even a moment.”

Hearing Qiu Ling’s reassurance, Jing He could roughly guess what he was thinking. He also leaned closer, faintly lowering his head. “I won’t be afraid as long as I am with you.” Without him, it was hard to say though.

Jing He was a trueborn god. In theory, he wasn’t weak. On the contrary: Considering his bloodline, chances were that his magic was among the strongest of his generation. It was just … he had never learned to use it for much. Sure, he could control it but he had never used a spell stronger than heating up a pot of tea or filling a jar to water his plants.

This was all because, if it went wrong, it could go terribly wrong so it was better not to try. This way, he would at least be safe. But, of course, this also left him vulnerable. Only with somebody at his side to protect him would he feel at ease. So yes, traveling with Qiu Ling would indeed be wonderful. And he truly wanted to see all those sights of the dragon realm so he could better understand what the man who would by then be his husband spoke of.

Qiu Ling chuckled and kissed Jing He’s hand again before turning away and looking at the city again. “You know, more so than visiting exciting new places with you, I am looking forward to our everyday life. Being able to wake up next to you, sit down to have a cup of tea before we start into the day, see each other whenever we want to, without having to take anybody else into consideration, and returning back to the same room in the evening so we can talk about what we experienced or just quietly spend a few hours together undisturbed … it sounds like absolute bliss.”

Jing He’s cheeks heated up the moment Qiu Ling mentioned waking up together. The prerequisite for that … was sleeping in the same bed. Even though he had slept in Qiu Ling’s embrace before, it didn’t seem to be the same thing. After they were married … there would be more.

Jing He’s fingers lightly twitched when he thought of this. He wasn’t entirely aware of what was to come after the wedding ceremony but just this vague knowledge was enough to put some color on his cheeks. Still, he was looking forward to making the relationship between the two of them closer.

Thinking again of how it was his fault the matter of their wedding was delayed because he hadn’t insisted on doing his trial earlier, he turned to look at Qiu Ling apologetically. “It won’t be long after my trial is finished.”

Qiu Ling turned back, his brows raising faintly. “If I could, I’d marry you the day after you return. In fact …” He leaned in, his gaze holding Jing He’s. “Maybe I will.”

Jing He’s face reddened even further. The day after he returned from his trial? But that … “My father …”

“Shh.” Qiu Ling faintly shook his head and reached up, his fingers slipping beneath Jing He’s hair and rubbing his neck. “Just leave it to me.” His beloved might never work up the courage to tell his father so he fully expected that this task would fall on his shoulders. It didn’t matter either. He was willing to do it. He was willing to do anything for him.

As for the matter of getting married the day after Jing He’s return … well, to be honest, he was naturally aware that this was impossible but a man was allowed to dream, right? He simply wanted Jing He to promise him so he’d have something to look forward to. Even if the actual ceremony couldn’t be held, it wouldn’t be too early to renew their promise toward each other or make their engagement official in front of Jing He’s parents.

Jing He didn’t know what Qiu Ling was thinking but seeing his determined expression, he simply nodded. Either way, he would never go against him. If this was what Qiu Ling wanted, then as long as it was possible … he would naturally welcome it.

0