Stratagem 56: Never Tie Yourself to the Wrong Person (3)
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The two of them dropped the topic and Qiu Ling took Jing He around the capital city, visiting all the spots they had previously been to. Surprisingly enough, despite the ten years they had spent together, there weren’t all that many. Jing He had always stayed at his own palace unless there was a special occasion so even after getting to know each other, not many places held special meaning to them. In a sense, it was even surprising that they managed to find a handful.

Other than the Tower of Wisdom, there was naturally the establishment where they had watched the play at the Jiyi Festival and the street where they had solved that god’s riddle about the story of Lu Yu and Yong Xia, then there was the bridge leading over the Da He river, and finally the two spots on the outskirts of the city they had visited.

Seeing each of these places again with Qiu Ling at his side, Jing He’s heart was in turmoil. Who could have known that things would develop like this? Who could have known that bit by bit, this man would take up so much space in his life? Who could have known that one day, he would even long to add to the list of spots they had visited and things they had done? Seeing all of this, he only felt even more that he should ensure that their future would not be disrupted too much by the trial.

The last spot the two of them went to was the small lake that Qiu Ling had once taken him to. Standing at the shore, Jing He felt at peace. He had already made up his mind and tomorrow, he would go and start to ensure that nothing would go wrong. Holding Qiu Ling’s hand, he looked up, his gaze soft as if he would melt the next moment. “Tomorrow morning, I will have to organize a few things but I should be free in the afternoon again.”

Qiu Ling nodded. He eyed the edge of the lake not too far away but then turned to Jing He, pulling him into his arms. “Then I will come by in the early afternoon. If you’re still busy, I’ll simply wait in the pavilion in your garden or maybe in your palace. You don’t have to worry. I’ll be happy to spend every minute I can get with you but I also understand that this is important. I won’t get in the way of your preparations.”

Jing He nodded and gave a faint hum. This was what he had expected. Qiu Ling always accommodated him no matter what happened. It was one of the many reasons he loved this man. He wished he could express himself clearly so Qiu Ling knew that he felt this way but the words eluded him. In the end, he simply gave in to the temptation and leaned closer, resting his head on Qiu Ling’s shoulder. If time could have stopped at this moment, he wouldn’t have minded.

Qiu Ling smiled and kissed the top of Jing He’s head. “You’re not even gone yet and I already can’t wait for you to return. Thinking of a day in the future when we won’t ever have to separate again, I feel that I have to be the luckiest man in the three immortal realms.”

Jing He’s lips couldn’t help but curl up as well. To be honest, he felt the same but not just when imagining such a day. No, just thinking of how he had been able to spend these ten years with Qiu Ling and thinking of how this man had somehow chosen him … that alone filled his heart to the brim with satisfaction.

How could it not? It seemed that with him, all dreams he had ever dared to have were coming true. Now, there was somebody at his side he could love wholeheartedly and who loved him just as much. No matter what happened in the future, Qiu Ling would not abandon him. He would always be there, supporting him with both words and actions. He was so gentle and kind, reassuring but just forceful enough that he had no chance to pull back and would never think of it either.

As for everyone else, save for his father, he didn’t think that there was anyone who would disagree with them being together. After all, what was there that was inappropriate? This man was the king of the dragon race while he was the crown prince of the Nine Heavens. They seemed to be made for each other: The perfect couple to combine the two races in a show of strength and beauty.

Jing He closed his eyes, his mind wandering. He didn’t know how long the trial would take but if the Fate’s Scribe indeed incorporated as many trials as possible just as he had insinuated he should, then chances were that it would be on the longer side. After all, human life could not only be suffering. While this was what the trials were about, you needed to go through the ups and downs of human life. This was why the trials were usually spread out or at least that was what he had heard.

He felt reluctant to be gone for three months. That was a quarter of a year. Yes, it might not mean much compared to the two millennia it took for a god to grow up and come of age and it certainly couldn’t be described as long when judged by the length of Qiu Ling’s life but … it was still very long when it came to separating from the man he loved. He didn’t want to spend even a day apart. The recent week of separation had only strengthened this feeling.

Now, he would be gone for several months at a time. Even if he himself wouldn’t realize it at that time, it would likely feel odd after his return. After all, Qiu Ling’s life would continue every day and he would experience new things every one of them. Unfortunately, he couldn’t be a part of that.

Jing He finally opened his eyes again and raised his gaze to Qiu Ling’s face. “When I come back … will you tell me about all the things that have happened?” Usually, he wouldn’t dare to make any requests but they had already decided to get married. He felt like … maybe he could indulge himself a little.

Qiu Ling lowered his head, his brows raising slightly. “If you want me to, I’d do anything.” Of course, he still preferred to accompany Jing He and he really didn’t want to give up on that idea. But, well, Jing He’s request should be because he was afraid of what he might miss at home. This kind of thing could naturally be accommodated. He just had to have somebody stare at the Nine Heavens for a bit and then, he could tell Jing He everything after he received the report upon their return. It sure was the best of both worlds.

Jing He didn’t know what to say. He simply felt as if Qiu Ling was once again proving just how well he treated him. It really made him swoon.

“Alright, let’s not talk about you being gone.” Qiu Ling lightly touched his chin and made him look up, his lips curving into a seductive smile. “Let’s just enjoy the moment.”

Jing He smiled as well and turned in Qiu Ling’s arms, watching the light glittering on the faint waves on the surface of the lake.

Qiu Ling wrapped his arms around him, resting his chin on his shoulder. Right now, standing here with his beloved, the moment was perfect and in the future, there would be more of those. He just knew it. Inwardly, he promised himself that even if they didn’t happen all on their own, he’d make them happen so Jing He would never regret his decision to be with him.

In a way, the two of them were always thinking about each other, wanting to make sure that everything was perfect for their other half.

0