Kitsune’s Wildfire – pt 7
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Two tails wrapped around Iruka’s torso.  Pressuring his ribs and back and pinning him in place.  Before the impending slash, it stole his breath away.  He was suitably alarmed by it.

Opening his eyes, he watched as Naruto extended an arm toward him.  He wondered whether this was his last moment.  Strength leaving him.  The avatar that took his parents, and the kindred spirit who held it at bay.  Would he be reunited with them?  To stories of their life together.  Of the leaf.  Its children.  Of the one who stood guardian among them.

You’ll be a fine ninja Naruto.  I’ll be watching you.

Then, the world began to spin.

A tail extended toward the ring of steel.  Hitching on the rim, and warbling with the force of its rotation.

The rest anchored themselves.  The earth, the shed, the trees, the canopy, the air-  Cracks formed in the air behind the Jinchuriki, and Iruka was reminded of those shimmers he would see inside the ramen stand.  Like heat.  Not from the stand, but from the space behind them.

With a burst of revelation his eyes widened.  I knew it!

The Shuriken shattered.  Splitting into three parts.  One embedded into the earth.  The two slammed into the shed.  The last however stayed true to course.  It skidded into the bushes unimpeded.

Mizuki sneered at the damage, but it was short lived as the collision replayed in his mind.  Too early.  Too much collateral.

Then an inkling reached him.  A ribbon of red.  Strips of paper.  Writing and a delicate film.  He saw them drift to the forest floor, and shook in horror.

Naruto was confused.  He’d felt something like a wooden arm catching a steel axe.  He felt clumsy in all kinds of ways, yet he was convinced that he’d just outrun a shuriken.

-and the sacred scroll of sealing.

“Uh… what happens if the scroll goes missing?”

Iruka coughed, “Wha- Did I miss something?”

Naruto looked up and found two meters between the two of them and where they had been.  If he thought about it like Mizuki looking at Iruka it made sense.  They were wherever it looked like they were.  Regardless, that guy had him pissed off.

Naruto leapt to his feet, on shaking legs for a moment.  He pointed to the chunin, “You’re gonna regret lying to me.  You’re a turncoat, you dumbstruck Mizuki!”  He tried not to let the slip get to him, although it was satisfying to see the guy gaping like a fish.

If he wasn’t also worried about the consequences.

Uh oh.  Second shuriken appeared faster than the boy could blink.  Mizuki’s expression darkened.  With a vengeful undertone he whirled on them, “You’re going to pay for that brat!”

There was no theater.  Mizuki’s throw came well over his own average as he threw caution to the wind.  Even in the extra distance, Naruto only had enough time to gasp.

I was torn between protecting Iruka and getting clear of the giant shuriken.  I only really had one option, but he’s larger than me, and on the off chance.

“Get, Down!” ‘Duck naruto!’

The deadlock split, and I dove below the path.  I was too slow though, and the margin too narrow.  We’re not going to make it.

Raising my hands over my head, I felt my chakra pulse through my arms.  I poured everything into the earth, and willed away the worst of it.

I felt something like treading water.  One then two… Layers of pressure formed and I felt my chest pressing against the ground.  Suddenly I felt one give, and for all the chakra I could salvage, I called on that feeling to disperse.

The shuriken diverted at the last moment.  With a roar of biting wind a vacuum formed in its wake.  With a second pulse of chakra, the vacuum was filled, and all the weight behind the throw jetted into the canopy.

Mizuki huffed, and drew a number of Kunai, “Oh I’m not finished with you, nine-tailed abomination!”  His second throw shadowed the star.  Faster and hidden behind the revolving star.  Naruto was down on hands and knees and Iruka could only gawk in dismay.

Naruto releases a grunt of exertion.  A blur of motion formed in front of him.  One of the Kunai nicked his leg, but the rest scattered wildly.

Iruka had seen it up close and personal, and barely believed what he saw happening.  Mizuki simply saw the boy blur, and then his arms blew apart.  His gaze narrowed “What is this?  The power of the nine tails?”

The former climbed to his feet, and gazed at his colleague cautiously, “You’re out of line Mizuki.”

Naruto rolled his head to the side, “Why does he keep saying that?”

Iruka glanced at Naruto and with a steadying breath replied, “He just doesn’t know any better.”

Mizuki spat, “That’s a load of bull.  He lost his pare-” But then he saw it.  Iruka was moving, and in that breath, Mizuki had severely overestimated his reserves.  The lecturer moved with grace that defied his injuries, crossing the distance to the nearest tree in the time it took Mizuki to breathe.

The silver haired chunin pivoted on the spot and made to retreat.  But again, his reserves just weren’t catching up.  Fatigue pooled in his thighs, restricting his chakra flow and nearly costing his footing.  He’d overextended, benching on ensuring a kill.

He didn’t have enough steam, and Iruka would outpace him at this rate.  He had to make a stand.  Mizuki landed on the next branch, and turned to duel the professor.

His last mistake was dragging up the matter of family.  Iruka didn’t even bother drawing a knife.  A palm heel strike to the jaw and Mizuki was sent spiraling into the morrow.  His own kunai used to pin him there.

Steadying himself, Iruka turned his gaze to the blond medium.

Naruto pulled himself up, dusting himself off as he went, “Iruka sensei.  I-” He wavered.  Unsure of what to say.  Then his gaze leapt to the scroll.  The secrets entrusted to the Hokage.

“You did good, Naruto.”

The boy looked up in disbelief, and watched as the chunin leapt down from his perch.

Iruka gripped his shoulder “We all need the chance to make mistakes.” Then, walking to the side, “Just make sure you help clean up after, okay?”  He secured the scroll, and gestured to the wedge cut out from the base.

Naruto sniffled and nodded.  He then proceeded to collect every scrap and shaving there was.

This scene has been modified a few times.  Naruto’s tails are a pretty powerful resource, but they’re not supposed to be completely broken.  Summoning dirt walls and bending reality is a bit of a stretch for his abilities.  Honestly, I doubt he’d use the sacred scroll as a mallet either.

Initially, I started writing this with the notion that he’d be overclocking the substitution technique.  The thing just kinda volunteered.  I know some might worry about the loss of a precious relic.  If it makes you feel any better, the border took the majority of the damage.  Writing was a hit, but between Hiruzen’s memory, a clean cut and the power of interpretation, it’ll make a full recovery.

(Why do I bother explaining this?) For the flavor text!

0