Chapter 9
705 4 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   The exam’s finally over. At long last, I can work again. Man, it’s not that I enjoy working a lot, but I sure missed earning money. I can’t wait to head to Yamamoto’s Canteen this evening. But first, I have to survive the school today.

   Nowadays, Nagano has stoped pestering me to go to school with her, so I can enjoy some time alone. When I reach school, I see Iseri-senpai some distance away.

   The glasses she bought was finally done, and she had been wearing it ever since. That’s nothing surprising. What surprises me is that she’s walking with three female students that’s at the same year as her. And they’re talking and smiling and laughing. So she got friends now. Good for her.

   Now that exam’s over, it’s finally time to talk about cultural festival. As my classmates had predicted, the discussion isn’t going so well since both our class representatives are in a cold war right now. It’s decided that we’ll be running a café. Problem arises when it’s time to decide divide up work between us.

   ‘We need as many people to sew uniforms the waiters and waitresses as possible.’ Murata begins. ‘That’s why myself along with those who can sew needs to begin right now so that we don’t have to panic.’

   ‘Granted. But we need to talk about the menu and the schedule with everyone first before we could start on that.’ Kazuki says.

   ‘Well you can go ahead with that discussion of yours, Tabata-kun.’ Murata tells her ex frostily. ‘Those of us who can sew isn’t a lot, so I’m sure we won’t contribute much.’

   ‘That’s not an excuse, Murata-san.’ Kazuki counters in an equally cold tone. ‘We need to have a general discussion, then we can split into smaller groups.’

   ‘That’s nonsense! Do you know how long it would take for us to come up with the design?’

   I’m shutting down to the rest of the conversation while the rest of the class looks on in horror. Shimada-sensei, our class teacher is once again too heart-broken to join us in homeroom, so we’re on our own here. A few minutes later, they’re getting more and more heated up. I slowly get up from my seat and goes to the back where the locker to keep cleaning tools like mops and brooms are. I take out a bucket and goes outside. Everyone’s so focused on the argument between Nurata and Kazuki none of them realized that I went outside.

   Luckily, the toilet’s right beside our class, so I don’t have to go too far. I fill up the bucket with water and return to the classroom. I don’t even have to open the door to hear them perfectly. They’re being that loud. I open the door and walk towards them, the bucket still at my hand.

   The rest of my classmates finally notice me, and they also see the bucket I’m holding. Only the two class representatives fail to do that, especially Kazuki who has his back facing me. Calmly, I raise the bucket and splash the contents towards Kazuki, then Murata.

   They stop arguing immediately as they’re drenched with water. Kazuki turns around to stare at me in disbelief.

   ‘What are you doing, Takuya?’ he demands.

   ‘What are you doing?’ I demand back. ‘You’re supposed to have a civilized discussion, not a shouting contest. If you two can’t keep your cool, we might as well stop for the day.’

   That calmed them down. Reluctantly, they agreed to postpone the discussion. They then excused themselves so that they can change dry themselves and get changed into their sports uniform before they catch a cold. After they left, everyone who remained except me let out a collective sigh of relief.

   ‘Nice job calming them down, Takuya.’ Masato tells me. ‘Although the drenching was a bit overkill.’

   ‘Bah. They needed to literally cool down anyway.’

   ‘It’s good that they calmed down now, but what are we going to do tomorrow?’ someone asks. ‘There’s no way we can progress with them like that.’

   I shrug. ‘Simple. If they can’t stop being immature brats, we’ll just kick them out of their positions and appoint someone else to be the class reps. At least until the cultural festival ends.’

   ‘And who’s going to do that? You?’

   I raise my left hand. ‘Oh no, no way I’m doing that. If I’m allowed to have my way, the festival itself would be canceled. I’ll help out, but don’t expect me to contribute during discussions.’

   Murata and Kazuki got back right before homeroom ends. Which is right on time as the lesson of the day will be beginning. The two of them are model students, which is why none of the teachers who came in didn’t even raise an eyebrow when they saw them wearing their gym uniforms even though there’s no PE class today.

   Lunchtime soon arrives. I forgot to bring my water bottle today, so I had to go outside the classroom and head for the nearest vending machine to get myself a drink. On the way, I was unlucky enough to bump into Nagano.

   ‘Ugh.’ the sound came out before I could stop myself.

   ‘What’s with the sound effect and the grossed out expression?’ she demands.

   ‘Isn’t it obvious? I got grossed out after seeing you.’ I tell her bluntly.

   ‘Well the feeling’s mutual. You’re the last person I want to see after the exam’s over. Now I got depressed all over again.’

   ‘Exams was three days ago.’ I point out.

   ‘What’s your point? I had Suzu teach me the whole night, and yet I’m still worried sick. Not that the former 23rd will ever know how I feel!’ she says the last part venomously.

   ‘I think I did pretty well this time. Maybe I could get into the top 20.’

   ‘Oh, I hate you so much. By the way, I take it that your class has started the discussion on what to do on cultural discussion? We’re doing haunted house.’

   I nod in agreement. ‘With you as the ghost, the customers will be scared out of their skins. Just remember to drop your makeup for maximum scare factor.’

   ‘Hah hah. Very funny. What are you guys doing?’

   ‘A café.’

   ‘That’s so common.’

   ‘As if a haunted house isn’t.’

   ‘Which position are you assigned to? Surely they aren’t stupid enough to make you wait the customers right?’

   ‘Actually, none of us were assigned any job since our class reps were too busy arguing.’

   ‘Oh, the two of them were lovers right? Well it wouldn’t have happened if you made that stupid wish.’

   ‘Hey, could you stop blaming everything to me?’ I demand. ‘They might have argued with each other regardless of my wish.’

   ‘I doubt it. They were such a loving couple that even I have heard of them, even though we’re not from the same class.’

   ‘Wow. So they were that disgusting, huh?’

   ‘I think that word you’re looking for is “cute”.’

   ‘Nope. Disgusting is the right word. I would know, since I had to see them flirting with each other all the freaking time.’

   ‘You’re not planning to help them at all, are you?’

   ‘Nope. First of all, neither of them asked for help. Remember what I said about meddling?’

   She shakes her head in disgust and leaves. Finally, I can get my drink in peace.

   I head to Yamamoto’s Canteen right after school ends. Uekawa-san and Miyako-san are already there to greet me as usual

   ‘It’s been a while, Bandou-kun.’ Uekawa-san says to me.

   ‘Yes it has. It’ll be in your care once more.’

   ‘Likewise.’

   Today, I’m working at the front with Miyako-san, so no kitchen work for me. During dinnertime, an unexpected customer arrived at the restaurant. A student from Kiseki High wearing the uniform of the school.

   ‘Heya Takkun~.’

   ‘Suzu? What are you doing here?’

   ‘What you ask. I’m here to have a meal of course~. This is a restaurant right?’

   ‘Well, yeah. But I didn’t know you’re interested in commoner’s food.’

   ‘Tsk, tsk. Just because I’m rich it doesn’t mean that I’m out of touch with everyone else, you know? Besides, there’s no such things as common or luxurious about food. Food is food.’

   ‘I guess you’re right.’

   ‘Of course I am~. Now then, can I make an order?’

   ‘Of course. What will you have?’

   ‘I’ll have a chef’s special~.’

   Suzu looks at me with a smug expression. I’m guessing that she wanted to say that for a long time.

   ‘I’m sorry miss, we don’t provide that kind of service here.’ I tell her bluntly.

   She gives me a look of pure disappointment and shock.

   ‘You don’t~? That’s just cruel~.’

   ‘Just order something from the menu.’

   She picks up the menu while sobbing softly and takes a look at what’s written.

   ‘Then, I guess I’ll have the pork katsu rice set.’

   ‘Right away.’

   ‘Say, Takkun. Can you cook for me?’

   ‘What?’

   ‘Come on, please~?’

   I take a quick glance at the restaurant. It’s not that busy, so I guess I can leave the front for a while.

   ‘Sure thing. Just give me some time.’

   Suzu brightens up at once. ‘Yay~!’

   I look at Miyako-san who’s wiping a table with a piece of cloth.

   ‘Miyako-san, I’m going inside the kitchen for a while.’

   ‘All right, go ahead.’

   I go inside the kitchen to get her order done and comes out with the readied food put on a tray.

   I place the tray right in front of her. ‘Here you go, one pork katsu rice set.’

   Suzu picks up a pair of wooden chopsticks and split them into two excitedly. ‘Itadakimasu~!’

   She picks up a piece of breaded pork with her chopsticks and puts it inside her mouth.

   ‘Ooooooh, it’s so delicious~!’ she exclaims while chewing.

   ‘Hey, don’t you know it’s rude to talk while you have food inside your mouth?’ I chide.

   ‘Sorry, Takkun. I got excited since it’s too delicious. My compliments to the chef~.’

   ‘Well the chef’s standing right here. Now if you’ll excuse me I have to continue with my work.’

   ‘Huh~? Aren’t you going to accompany me~?’

   ‘As you can see, I’m still working. Of course I can’t accompany you.’

   Miyako-san suddenly comes over.

   ‘It’s fine, Bandou-kun. The shop isn’t busy right now, so just accompany her.’ she tells me.

   ‘Well, if you say it’s okay…’

   ‘Yay, thank you miss owner~!’ Suzu tells Miyako-san happily.

   ‘You’re welcome. Please enjoy your stay.’

   And so, I have to watch Suzu fill her stomach while standing.

   ‘Your cooking is just excellent, Takkun~! I would really love to hire you as my personal chef~!’

   ‘Don’t you already have your own chef at your house?’

   ‘I do, but I prefer your cooking.’

   ‘I appreciate your offer, but I don’t really fancy working at a huge mansion like yours, high salary or no.’

   ‘That’s a shame. Oh well, I guess I’ll come here and intrude every once in a while.’

   While we’re talking, another unexpected visitor arrives. It’s Murata. Her uniforms’ probably dried up before school ended, so she’s wearing them on her once again.

   ‘Welcome, Murata. There are plenty of seats, so don’t be shy and sit down.’ I tell her.

   ‘Thank you, Bandou-kun.’

   ‘You can just sit here if you want~.’ Suzu suddenly tells Murata.

   Murata is understandably surprised by the invitation. Believe me, she’s not the only one.

   ‘Um, is it really okay?’

   ‘Of course~. Any friend of Takkun is a friend of mine.’

   Murata looks at me. ‘Takkun?’

   ‘Don’t ask.’

   Murata sits down right opposite Suzu nervously.

   ‘Murata, this is Yoshinaga Suzume. Suzu, this is Murata Sayuri.’ I introduce them to each other.

   ‘Hello~.’

   ‘N-Nice to meet you.’

   Murata looks at me again. ‘You’re incredible, Bandou-kun. To think you actually know someone from Kiseki High.’

   ‘It’s a long story. More importantly, What do you want to order?’

   ‘One kitsune udon, please. And a cup of warm tea.’

   ‘Oh oh, I want tea too!’ Suzu adds.

   ‘Alright, coming right up.’

   I bring them tea before dropping Murata’s order to the kitchen.

   ‘Here’s the tea. Your udon will be served shortly.’

   ‘Thank you, Bandou-kun.’

   ‘So, are you here to talk about something?’

   Murata looks at me in shock, then she makes a sheepish expression.

   ‘Was I that obvious?’

   ‘Kind of. So what is it?’

   ‘Am I not intruding you?’

   ‘It’s fine. My boss already gave me the green light to chat with her anyway.’ I assure Murata while pointing at Suzu.

   ‘In that case, I want to talk to you about Kazuki-kun.’

   ‘Say, you know I’m part of the Love Consultation Club right? Why didn’t you book for an appointment and discuss things with me there?’

   ‘I can’t really, not with our classmates keep on telling me that your club is, well, bogus. According to them, Nagano-san wasn’t much of a help.’

   ‘That much is true.’ I agree wholeheartedly. ‘And yet you trust me?’

   ‘To be honest, I would rather talk to a classmate if possible.’

   ‘Fair enough.’

   Murata’s order is ready, so I went and get it for her. After she’s done eating, she begins telling us her trouble.

   ‘As you already know, Bandou-kun, Kazuki-kun and I broke up a while back.’

   I didn’t bother to explain to Suzu who Kazuki is. With her information network, she probably knows already.

   ‘At first, it was just between the two of us. However, it’s different now. Our changed relationship is causing harm to our plan for the cultural festival.’

   ‘To be honest, I’m quite surprised that you two of all people failed to act maturely. Especially Kazuki.’

   ‘Him aside, I’ve tried. But I just failed to keep calm whenever I see him.’

   ‘Are you on a period?’ Suzu asks her all of a sudden.

   I smack Suzu’s head hard with my fist.

   ‘Owie~. What was that for, Takkun?’ Suzu demands while stroking her the part of her head that I hit.

   ‘What on earth are you asking?’ I demand. ‘Just because you’re a girl as well it still doesn’t mean that you can ask her that question!’

   ‘Don’t blame me~! She’s the one who said she felt unusually angry!’

   ‘Well you shouldn’t jump to that conclusion, of all things! Anyway, why did the two of you break up in the first place? I asked Kazuki, but he claimed that he doesn’t really remember.’

   ‘Rather than doesn’t remember, I think he’s trying to shut it out of his memory.’

   ‘What? Kazuki’s actually running away from reality? What exactly happened?’

   ‘Do you remember that his grandmother’s death anniversary is next month?’

   ‘Of course I remember. I visited her grave a few times with you two and Masato. What of it?’

   ‘Well, on the day of her death anniversary, Kazuki-kun is scheduled to take an important exam in the cram school he’s attending, and it’ll take him the whole day.’

   ‘Oh no, please don’t tell me…’

   ‘Yes. He can’t decide whether to drop the exam or abandon the visit to her grave. I told him that he can visit her grave anytime he wants, but you can only take the exam once. And then-’

   ‘He starts yelling at you and said you’re being insensitive or something like that.’

   Murata nods sadly. I put my palm on my face and sigh.

   ‘That grandma complex…’

   ‘We were at my room when it happened. After he snapped at me, he looked horrified for yelling at me like that. After that, he just mumbled that we’re through and left the room.’

   I shake my head in disbelief. ‘I’ve always know that he basically worships his grandmother, but not to this extent.’

   ‘Please don’t blame him. He went through a lot after she passed away, after all.’

   ‘That’s no excuse. He should know better than snapping at his girlfriend like that. And he dared accuse me of being immature all the time.’

   ‘After that incident, our relationship was never the same. I wanted to apologize to him, but I could never find a good chance. Can you help me?’

   ‘Oh, I don’t know. He can be extremely stubborn, so I don’t know whether I can help you.’ I tell her honestly.

   ‘I know I’m being unreasonable for not doing anything myself, but please try your best. Our cultural festival counts on it.’

   I groan loudly. ‘All of a sudden I lost the tiny motivation that I had.’

   ‘Is cultural festival fun?’ Suzu asks us after being quiet for so long.

   ‘Oh, yes. The entire class gets to do something together. That’s always a huge joy.’ Murata answers.

   ‘Not if you got stuck with unpleasant jobs.’ I counter.

   ‘You get to taste all kind of food during the festival.’

   ‘Most of which are overpriced and have dubious quality.’

   ‘You get to spend time with your friends in school and get bathed with the festive atmosphere.’

   ‘While having to see the disgusting normies spending and gloating their youth. Absolutely disgusting.’

   ‘After the festival has ended, you get to dance near the campfire.’

   ‘And that’s assuming someone actually wants to dance with you.’

   Suzu keeps turning her neck so that she could look at Murata and I while we’re talking like she’s watching a tennis match.

   ‘Sooooo, which is it?’ she asks us.

   ‘It’s a blast.’ Murata answers.

   ‘It’s terrible.’ I answer.

   ‘Well, I can just take your word for it, since Kiseki never had any cultural festival.’

   ‘Are they that academically oriented?’ I ask.

   Suzu nods sadly. ‘It’s nothing but study and exams for us. They at least allow clubs but I’m didn’t join any.’

   ‘Well, you could come visit us.’ Murata offers.

   Suzu’s face brightens up. ‘I can?’

   ‘Of course you can. The cultural festival is open to the general public after all. I can bring you to visit all sorts of stalls.’

   ‘That sounds nice. Now, if only Takkun is willing to become my steed again…’

   ‘Just walk with your own legs.’

   ‘Boo~, you’re a huge meanie, Takkun!’

   I ignore Suzu and look at Murata. ‘Anyway, I’ll try to think of something. But don’t get your hopes too high.’

   ‘Okay. Thank you very much.’

   After Murata left, Suzu finishes off the last of her tea.

   ‘Say, Suzu.’

   ‘Hmm~?’

   ‘You came here on purpose, didn’t you?’

   ‘What makes you think that?’

   ‘I could be wrong, but all this is way too coincidental. Me telling Nagano about those two having a huge argument this morning, you coming here at least half an hour before Murata does.’

   ‘Oh, you got me~.’

   ‘How did you even know that she was going to come here? You even got the timing right.’

   She taps the side of her head with her index finger.

   ‘There’s almost nothing you can’t predict with some accurate calculation~.’ she says smugly.

   ‘Like I told you before, you seriously scare me. And that Nagano should really mind her own business.’

   ‘Why did you bring up Aiai here?’

   ‘Well, who else could tell you about Kazuki and Murata?’

   ‘Don’t blame her~. You did promise her to help out, right?’

   ‘And I’m regretting it very much.’

   ‘Don’t worry, I’ll help you with this one.’

   ‘You will?’

   She nods. ‘I don’t know whether they will make up when this plan of mine is put into action, but at least they’ll get a chance to talk to each other. Just make sure your schedule is open tomorrow.’

   When. Not if. That’s some crazy confidence there.

   ‘Fine. You’re going to leave, right? Let me get the bill for you.’

   ‘Hold on, let me give you this.’

   Suzu reaches into her pocket and takes out her wallet, and from it a black credit card.

   ‘...Is this some sort of rich people joke?’ I ask her.

   She tilts her head in confusion. ‘What do you mean?’

   ‘Miss, this restaurant only accepts cash.’

   ‘What~? Hold on, let me check.’

   Thankfully, she brought cash with her. After she paid for her meal, she slowly leaves the restaurant with me wondering what’s in store tomorrow.

28