Chapter 13
621 2 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   Today’s finally the day for the cultural festival. I have to wake up extremely early to prepare the sweets in advance. Unlike normal food, sweets can be served cold, which saves us a lot of time in preparing them for the customers. Mitarashi dangos is the only product in our menu that needs to be cooked, so we’ll just make the raw dangos before grilling them.

   When I got there, Masato and Masaki-san are already waiting for us right next to the school gate. We’ve already gotten permission to enter the school in the middle of the night, which is why the security guard on duty didn’t do anything to stop us as we head inside while carrying the ingredients.

   ‘Is it okay if we take a short detour before we start the prep?’ Kanae, who’s also a huge fan of horror, asks us excitedly while we’re at the shoe rack.

   ‘No, no we cannot.’ I tell her bluntly. ‘I want to finish this up as soon as possible so that we can take a short nap before the place is opened up for public.’

   ‘Aww, you’re no fun Bandou-kun.’

   ‘Say what you want. I’m already having sever lack of sleep. I’m not exactly in the mood for anything else right now. Now come on.’

   We head to the Home Economy Classroom, and Kanae opens the door with the key she got form Shimada-sensei on the previous day. She then switches on the light so that it’s easier for us to get started with our preparation.

   We made quite a lot on the four hours and a half time span we were given, since the festival starts at nine. Kazuki told us that any unsold ones will be given out to the nearby kindergartens. We spent the last thirty minutes to put all the sweets on the trays we brought to make transporting them to our classroom easier.

   Some of our tables was combined and covered with a piece of cloth so that they can be used by customers. The leftovers are either used as barricades to separate the kitchen from the dining place or just piled up high at the corner so that they don’t get in the way. The same goes for the chairs. The menus are already placed on the table so that the customers can look at them the moment they sit down. Kazuki made a huge sign that he puts next to the entrance which warns any customers who tries to get flirty with the waiters and waitresses will be swiftly dealt with.

   The classmates who’s on first shifts as the front-liners are already inside while wearing their uniforms.

   ‘We’ll take care of the rest. Please get some rest and thank you for your hard work.’ Murata tells us.

   I took up on her offer and lie down on two of the unused tables so that I can get a quick shut-eye. The others found ways of their own to get some rest.

   I was woken up by some loud fireworks and almost rolled over form the table I was lying on. I guess it’s time to work. I got up, let out a huge yawn and join two others at the back.

   ‘You ready for this, Bandou?’ Kato, who’s on the first shift just like I am, asks me.

   ‘I want to go home and sleep.’ I tell him bluntly.

   ‘That’s a no.’ Kanae, the third one who’s assigned work at the back, translates.

   ‘No worries. You’ll be excited by the atmosphere of the festival soon enough!’

   ‘Yeah, I very much doubt it.’

   At the beginning, customers come in nice and slow. All we had to do majority of the time were serving the sweets ordered by them on plates and pouring teas on tea cups. Being inside a classroom means that we have zero access to flowing water. In order to clean the dirty plates and cups, the only way we could think of is to wipe them with moist clothes. This is another reason I chose to serve only sweets, as the mess made by sweets are much easier to clean compared to the mess created by those like, say, fried noodles. Most important of all, it saves time and manpower.

   Two hours in, and the place got busy all of a sudden. I don’t know what happened, but most of the sweets we pre-made are down by a quarter. The fusion sweets I thought up of are especially popular.

   ‘Maybe you should open up a sweets shop when you got older.’ Kanae suggests to me.

   I shrug at that. ‘Maybe.’

   Right until a few minutes before my break time, everything was peaceful. The customers didn’t cause any problems, and none of our classmates who work at the front spilled a drink on them or something. Even Suzu has zero mistakes.

   And just as I was about to clock out of my shift, some pests decide to cause problems. Of course they had to do it now. They just can’t pick other times. The groups of three whom I’ve never seen before in this school had been pestering Takeuchi, who’s one of our waitress for quite some time. I was going to get rid of them when I saw Masato standing some distance away from them. He’s straight out glaring at those delinquents, and he’s shaking with rage.

   ‘Yo, Bandou. Aren’t you going to do something?’ Kato asks me in a small voice.

   ‘Sure. After the ex-boyfriend failed to settle things.’

   He might or might not jump to her rescue. It’s all up to him. Just so we’re clear, I’m not trying to act cool and make Masato look like a weakling after he failed to save Takeuchi. If he wants to make up with her, this is a perfect chance by using the suspension bridge effect.

   Meanwhile, things are getting escalated over at Takeuchi’s side. One of the jerks are grabbing her wrist while trying to persuade her to hang out with them, despite her continuous protests. Some of the customers are disgusted, some are worried for her safety, but none are actually doing anything to stop them. As I was thinking of going out there, Masato finally makes his move. He goes over there and pull away the delinquent’s hand.

   ‘Dear customer, please refrain yourself from harassing our staff.’ he tells them in a frosty tone.

   ‘Huh? Who the hell are you? Buzz off!’

   ‘We were talking to her, not you!’

   ‘That’s right! You wanna get creamed, punk?’

   All three of them stand up and are glaring at him collectively. Poor guy looks like he’s about to pass out from fear, but he’s holding out well.

   ‘Hey, Masato. Want me to call the police?’ I ask loudly on purpose while holding my phone.

   The three of them look at me at once.

   ‘Hey, don’t you d-’

   ‘1.’ I leisurely press the dial the first number.

   ‘We’re gonna-’

   ‘1.’ the second one.

   ‘Seriously, we’re scary if you piss us-’

   ‘0.’

   I dialed the third number. Right now, my thumb is hovering above the dial button.

   ‘Fine, fine! We’ll leave! You better remember this!’

   They leave in a hurry after one of them slams two one thousand yen notes on the table, which is way more than the total amount of food they ordered. I have to admit, they were terrible customers, but they sure tip well.

   I look at Kazuki calmly like nothing had happened. ‘Hey, my shift’s over. Can I leave?’

   ‘Oh. Sure. Go ahead.’

   Kazuki looks at Takeuchi. ‘You can take a short break if you want, Takeuchi.’

   ‘Okay, I’ll take up on your offer.’ Takeuchi says while still looking a bit shaken.

   She then looks at Masato with tearful eyes. ‘Can you come with me, Kazuki-kun? Please?’

   That request surprised pretty much all her classmates, especially Masato himself.

   ‘Um, can I, Kazuki?’

   ‘Sure. Just don’t take too long.’

   ‘Okay.’

   And the two of them left. With Takeuchi holding Masato’s hand. Kanae was very close from exploding with glee. Meanwhile, I leave the classroom all by myself. I remember that I’m supposed to go to Iseri-senpai’s class, so I decide to head upstairs.

   I’ve forgotten to ask her which one is her class, but there wasn’t a need for that at all. There was a long line to go inside her classroom 2-5 with a maid responsible for bringing the customers, pardon, their masters, to their tables. I had to wait for an entire hour just to go in.

   Turns out the maid who’s at the entrance is one of Iseri-senpai’s friend I saw the other day. She got all excited the moment she sees me.

   ‘Hey, Ayano! Your favourite master is back!’ she shouts.

   ‘Who?’

   Iseri-senpai turns her neck and sees me.

   ‘Oh. Him.’ she says unenthusiastically.

   ‘Exactly. Now come on, bring him to his table!’

   Iseri-senpai sighs and walks towards me. She then curtsies at me and smiles.

   ‘Welcome home, master.’ she tells me sweetly.

   I let out a giggle before I could stop myself. Her expression turns frosty at once. It’s like she’s the Ice Queen again.

   ‘What was that?’ she demands.

   ‘It was nothing. I swear. Can I sit down now?’

   ‘Of course. Right this way.’

   She hands me the menu after I sit down. I peer at it for a while and make my decision.

   ‘I would like to have a slice of cheesecake and a cup of black tea, please.’ I request.

   ‘Right away.’

   She comes back five minutes later with my order and puts them on the table.

   ‘Here are your cheesecake and black tea. Please enjoy your meal, master.’ she tells me formally.

   I stare at her. ‘That’s it?’

   ‘What else were you expecting?’

   I point at one of her classmates who’s doing the make-food-more-delicious spell to the food her customers ordered.

   ‘You actually want me to do that?’

   ‘That’s the sole reason I’m here.’

   ‘Fine. I’ll do it right after you put away your phone!’

   ‘Get on with it, please. You master’s still waiting.’ I say to her while refusing to put away my phone.

   With one of her eyebrow still twitching in anger, she proceeds with the spell.

   ‘Become delicious, become delicious! Moe moe kyun~!’

   She’s so professional she even did the hand gestures. Meanwhile, I have difficulty in holding my phone properly as I was too busy in stopping myself from laughing out loud.

   ‘The ice queen actually did the thing!’

   ‘After refusing so many times? Just who is that guy?’

   ‘Well, no surprises there. It’s him, after all.’

   All around us, the customers and Iseri-senpai’s classmates are busy whispering to each other after seeing what she did.

   ‘Is there any other task you would like me to perform, master?’ she asks me while blushing furiously.

   ‘No, that’s all. You may return to your work.’

   She sighs in relieve and curtsies at me once more.

   ‘Oh, one more thing.’

   ‘Yeah? Do you want to humiliate me some more?’

   ‘That maid uniform looks nice on you.’ I compliment.

   ‘Oh, you think so? Thanks. I sewed it myself.’ she tells me proudly.

   My eyeballs almost popped out of their sockets due to sheer astonishment. ‘Senpai, you know how to sew?’

   ‘Why are you that surprised?’

   ‘My bad. Please continue with your work.’

   I ate the cake. It’s a bit small but at least they didn’t cut down on the quality of the ingredients. The tea is flavorful and has good fragrance.

   When I ask for the bill, two of Iseri-senpai’s classmates drag her here out of her free will.

   ‘Dear master, would you like to take a picture with our cute maid?’ one of them asks me. ‘We usually charge three thousand yen for it, but for you, it’s free of charge.’

   I look at Iseri-senpai, who’s still trying her best to struggle from her classmates’ grasps.

   ‘Sure.’ I tell them.

   We took an awkward picture together, with the two maids holding Iseri-senpai’s phone and mine. I take back my phone and look at the picture.

   ‘Your expression look quite stiff, senpai.’ I comment.

   ‘Speak for yourself.’

   ‘Well, I’m leaving. Thank you for the wonderful time.’

   ‘Sure. Maybe you can serve me next year.’

   ‘Maybe.’

   ‘A word of caution while you’re walking around. Kou and that brown guy are at Class 2-2.’

   ‘Duly noted.’

   I took a quick trip back to my class to check on things. The line was even more insane right before I left, but everything still seems to be under control.

   ‘You guys need any help?’ I ask Nogumura who’s on duty.

   She looks at me and smiles. ‘Not at all. Just go enjoy the festival.’

   ‘Say, Takkun. My shift’s about to be over. Can you wait for me?’ Suzu asks me while holding two trays full of sweets.

   ‘Hey, careful with those. And sure, I can wait.’

   After Suzu’s shift is over, they want her to advertise our place to the visitors by walking around with a signboard and still wearing her work uniform. And so here we are, walking around the entire school with her holding up a signboard. Suzu made a few head turn with her beauty, and some people even asked to take photos with her.

   ‘You want to go visit Nagano again?’ I ask her.

   ‘After we walked around the school. I don’t feel like taking the longer path again.’

   We take turns holding the signboard while the other buy foods or drinks. They got all sorts of stuffs here. Chocolate banana, ice cream, takoyaki, you name it, they have it. Some of the class are also doing plays and comedy gigs at the assembly hall. We watched some of them before leaving.

   ‘This is so much fun~! There’s no way I could experience any of this if I stayed at Kiseki~!’ Suzu says while holding a stick of corn-on-the-cob on one hand and a mixed berry smoothie with another.

   ‘Say, did you parents said anything about you transferring here?’

   ‘Nope. I think Seriseri told them over the phone, but they didn’t even come home nor called back.’

   ‘What? It’s been almost months since you’re here!’

   She shrugs like this is entirely normal. ‘I guess they got better things to do.’

   ‘Well, let’s have lots of fun today.’

   ‘Now that’s what I want to hear~.’

   Before we walk around for the second time, we go to 1-5. Nagano’s busy being the receptionist who’s in charge of taking money from the customers.

   ‘Will you be on your shift for long, Aiai?’ Suzu asks her.

   Nagano looks at her phone before answering. ‘I still have five more minutes.’

   ‘We’re just in time then~.’

   ‘You two just got off?’

   ‘Nope~, we just walked one round before coming here.’

   ‘Well, just wait for me. I don’t suppose I could interest the two of you to go inside?’ she gestures towards the entrance to her classroom which is barricaded by some thin metal sheets.

   ‘No thanks. I don’t really get frightened by one of these.’ Suzu declines.

   ‘I got banned from one of these after I shouted louder than all the staffs in there combined and scared the living daylights out of some grade-schoolers.’ I recall a memory when I was still in middle school.

   ‘...Just, stay there until my shift’s over.’

   Soon, Nagano is relieved by one of her classmate for her receptionist duty.

   ‘Right, let’s head to your class.’ she tells us.

   ‘Why there of all places?’

   ‘Because my classmates told me that the sweets you guys serve are delicious, especially the Oreo dorayaki and the banana mochi. I want to buy some before they run out!’

   She dashes towards 1-1 like a wind. Suzu follows at a slower pace. Once again, I use to longer route just to go back to my class. When I eventually got back, the line is as insane as ever.

   ‘What do I do? At this rate, they’ll really run out. Can’t one of you go inside and sneak some out for me? I promise I’ll pay for them?’ Nagano asks.

   ‘No can do. It won’t be fair to the other customers.’

   ‘Yup yup. You should line up like the rest, Aiai~.’

   Nagano hangs her head in despair. ‘You can’t be serious~.’

   Despite all her worries, she did manage to get some. She’s so impatient she’s already eating some while walking.

   ‘Oh my gosh, these are so delicious~! Whoever that thought of these fusion sweets is a genius!’ she compliments while munching a dorayaki.

   ‘Why, thank you.’ I tell her modestly.

   She almost chokes on her sweets.

   ‘Wait, it was you?’

   ‘Indeed it was.’

   ‘Wow, I guess you really can’t judge a book by its cover.’

   Even though this is the second time we walked around, I don’t really mind. I got hungry again, which means that I need to get more food and drinks. Besides, there are still performances being shown at the assembly hall.

   We got back to our respective class after that. To my surprise, all the products we made are sold out. The total profit we made exceeded our cost by three times.

   ‘Do you want us to make more?’ I ask Kazuki.

   He shakes his head. ‘No, it’s fine. By the time we got enough ingredients and all of you are done with making a new batch, the festival would have been over.’

   With that, we apologized to all the customers who were waiting outside and inform them that we’re closed. They look pretty disappointed, but there’s nothing we can do. While the other classes are being busy with whatever they’re doing, we’re already doing the cleanup. And oh, Masato and Takeuchi got back together.

   Nighttime soon arrives, and it’s time for one of the events that I hate the most: the bonfire dance. It’s true that most of the couples in this school has broke up with each other, but the same rule do not apply for those more than friends, less than lovers pair that has yet to confess to each other. Which is why there are quite a lot of boy-girl pair enjoying their time dancing with each other.

   Speaking of which, I wonder what’s going to happen to them if one of them confesses and the other has responded positively. Will they become a couple only to break up a micro-second later? This is an interesting question. And my answer might be answered since someone set up a Confession Stage where students are allowed to confess to his or her crush while standing there. And here comes the first test subject.

   Based on the shoes he’s wearing, he’s a third year. He walks to the microphone nervously and speaks to it.

   ‘I-Ikeda Fuuko-san from the Class 3-4! I have something to tell you!’ he shouts with all his might.

   A girl who was previously sitting down stands up.

   ‘I’ve always liked you! Please go out with me!’ the guy pleads while bowing down his head.

   A few seconds of silence.

   ‘I would love to!’ Ikeda-san replies.

   The whole venue explodes from thunderous applause and cheering, with the guy in front of the mic whooping in joy. Any moment now…

   Ikeda-san goes up the stage. The two of them embrace each other, causing more wave of loud clapping and cheering. They then leave the stage hand in hand.

   A few others brave souls make similar attempts. Some are successful, some fail. Those who succeed did not break up with each other on the first few seconds they start to go out. If that’s the case, I’m guessing that their relationship will stay that way until they have a fight or something.

   I decide to go home earlier, even though I’m technically not allowed to. I’ve seen enough.

20