Chapter 14
582 2 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   Allow me to give you a life advise, dear readers. Only stand out when it’ll put you in a huge advantages over those in similar positions with you. If you will not be rewarded for it, it’s better for you to act like a sheep until you see an opportunity that allows you to get ahead in life.

   Why am I telling you this all of a sudden, you ask? Remember those fusion sweets I thought up during the cultural festivals? Well, some teachers who worked at a nearby elementary school tried them and loved them so much they want us to teach their students to make them. It was weeks before the Moon-watching Festival, so they want those students to enjoy watching the moon while munching on sweet desserts. Of course, they didn’t ask for our agreement. They went straight to Chairwoman Seki, and that idiot of a chairwoman agreed on our behalf without a second thought.

   The bad news doesn’t end here. Somehow, the principal at Yuzuaki Girls High School caught wind of this lesson and wanted to let the first-year ladies of his school join in the lesson. Why? He’s in the opinion that the first years of his school have yet to be the ideal ladies that “prides themselves in the very essence of elegance”, whatever that means.

   To put it simply, we’re supposed to teach a huge group of brats and another huge groups of rich young ladies on how to make some Japanese desserts when the teachers could just look up the basic recipes online and somehow figure out the rest. On a Sunday when everyone else is lazing around doing nothing. Without getting a single yen for all our hard work. The worst part is, she could be there too.

   ‘But you could eat sweets for free!’ Shimada-sensei tells me when I try to protest.

   ‘Sweets make you fat.’ I point out.

   Of course, I couldn’t care less about gaining a few extra kilograms. The girls in my class, on the other hand, certainly do. More than half of them are starting to raise a fuss.

   ‘And we have to do it on a Sunday. A Sunday.’ I said it twice for extra emphasis.

   That reminder made the whole class groan. See? No one wants to have their Sunday ruined over something like this. Shimada-sensei could tell that some of us plans to skip this event, so she quickly speaks up.

   ‘I’m begging all of you, don’t be absent on that day! My whole career depends on it! Chairwoman Seki threatened me that if I can’t get all of you to agree, she wants me to kiss my job goodbye!’ she pleads while half-crying.

   ‘Speaking of which, why do all of us have to be there sensei?’ Takeuchi asks her. ‘Most of us aren’t part of the cooking team.’

   A lot of my classmates nod. Some of them are even looking at me, whose bright idea started this whole mess.

   ‘Even if they were,’ I add while ignoring those stares. ‘Why can’t we just teach those recipes to the teachers, so that they in turn can teach their students? This whole thing doesn’t make much sense.’

   ‘Well, you can think of this as some sort of community service.’ Shimada-sensei says hesitantly.

   One of my eyebrow twitch. When she mentioned community service, it reminded me (and I’m pretty sure the others minus Suzu also remember) of the one the whole school had to do on the day before our summer holidays began. We were required to clean up the entire neighbourhood under hot weather. A lot of students got heat stroke and collapsed. What do we get in return for our hard work? A freaking bottle of water. Just thinking about it makes me mad all over again. The atmosphere of the whole class becomes extremely tense. Even the usually calm and composed Kazuki looks upset.

   ‘A community service that only involves a single class instead of the whole school? How nice.’ I say sarcastically.

   Shimada-sensei realized she pushed the wrong button and goes pale.

   ‘I’ll go negotiate with the chairwoman! I’m pretty sure we can come up with something for your trouble!’ she assures us.

   That something ended up being a trip to an all-you-can-eat buffet inside a four-star hotel. I guess it’s better than nothing.

   The dreaded Sunday finally arrives. We’re supposed to gather at the school gate at nine in the morning. After that, we’re to ride a bus to the Matsukawa Elementary School. A slight consolation is that we’re allowed to wear casual clothes, as long as it’s not those that shows too much of your skin.

   ‘Is everyone here?’ Shimada-sensei asks while having a roll call.

   I look around since I don’t see Suzu anywhere. As I was about to tell sensei, I see a black car stops right behind the bus. The backdoor of the car opens and out comes a Suzu who’s half-asleep.

  ‘Wow, you’re actually here.’ I say to her.

   ‘I wanted to sleep in, but Seriseri dragged me out of my room.’ she complains groggily.

   I look at Serizawa-san who has the window of the driver seat opened. ‘Thank you for bringing her here, Serizawa-san.’

   ‘You’re welcome, sir. Once again, please take care of ojou-sama for me.’

   ‘Will do.’

   My classmates are quite impressed with Suzu for coming here while riding on an expensive-looking car.

   ‘And she has a butler. Plus she was called ojou-sama.’ Takeuchi adds.

   ‘It’s not that big of a deal, though.’ Suzu says.

   ‘She’s right. Her background has nothing to do with how we’re going to treat her. Now come on, let’s get on the bus.’ I tell them.

   Once all of us are inside, the bus driver starts the engine so that we can get to Matsukawa Elementary.

   ‘One thing, guys. Don’t mention the fact that I was the one who thought up of the recipes. I don’t want them to make me the chief instructor or some equally stupid position.’ I tell my classmates.

   ‘Sure. But what are we supposed to tell them then?’ Masato asks me.

   ‘Just say that all of us agreed on it, and we can’t remember who brought up the idea.’

   Once we reach the school and got down from the bus, we’re greeted by the teachers. I try not to glare at two of them whom I vaguely remember seeing during the festival. The ones who got us into this nonsense.

   ‘Thank you all for coming here.’ one of them says to us. ‘It must have been tough for you to wake up on a Sunday.’

   He looks the most ancient out of all of them. I’m guessing that he’s the principal, or at least a teacher that has a high position in the hierarchy.

   Oh, you think? I really got to thank two of your colleagues for this.

   ‘Not at all.’ Shimada-sensei says to him as if she gets to represent us. ‘This is for the children, after all.’

   ‘Well then, let us go in.’

   We’re brought to their assembly hall, where the grade-schoolers and the girls from Yuzuaki High were already waiting. The students of Matsukawa Elementary consists of the entire Grade One to Grade Six, so it’s like seeing an entire armies of small children. The girls of Yuzuaki High are surprisingly low on number, even though there’s supposed to be an entire First Years of them. All of them are wearing uniforms even though today isn’t a school day.

   And there she is. Miyagawa Riko, the girl who rejected me last. Of course she’s the same age as me. Of course. Our eyes met for a second. Unfortunately, she recognizes me. She gives me an awkward smile and looks away. I so should have skipped this event.

   ‘So those are the ladies from Yuzuaki, huh? They sure are high level.’ Kato whispers to the guys standing near him.

   ‘If we’re lucky, maybe we could exchange numbers with them.’ Hoga whispers hopefully.

   ‘From the look of things, I’d say it’ll be a miracle if we even get to talk to them.’ I tell them.

   ‘What makes you say that?’

   I made sure that my voice is really soft so that I don’t get overheard. ‘See their teachers?’

   ‘You mean the group of old ladies? What about them?’

   ‘Look closer. None of them have a ring on their fingers. It means that none of them were ever wanted by men. They’re like nuns who live in monasteries, except they actually had the chance to get a partner, but couldn’t. These are the types who will easily get jealous at their younger and prettier counterparts. You think they’re going to let us flirt with the girls? Dream on.’

   As if to further prove my point, those old crones are glaring at us right now. All the guys who heard my analysis and explanation lost the tiny hint of motivation they had.

   Meanwhile, the principal of Matsukawa Elementary is done with his welcoming speech. He then wants us to separate into groups so that we could teach the two groups on how to make the sweets. Kazuki suggests us to draw lots for it to be fair, so that’s what we did. I’m ended up getting stuck with the rich ladies. So is Suzu, Hoga, Murata and a few others. Those who worked as the kitchen crew has taught the others on basic procedures to make those sweets a few days ago, which means in theory all of us know how to make them.

   I have mixed feelings about getting lumped into the group in charge of teaching the students of Yuzuaki High. On one hand, I’m glad that I don’t have to take care of those brats. On the other, I have to teach Miyagawa-san. Oh well. Let’s just get this over with.

   The ingredients that we’ll be using are piled up at one corner, with piles and piles of plastic aprons placed right next to them. A lot of electronic appliances like blender and induction cookers are also seen. However, we can’t use too many of the blenders at one go or we might risk tripping the circuit breaker. In other words, the students of both school will have to take turns in using those blenders. We might or might not make it in time for the moon-watching. I don’t really care either way.

   The students are required to bring their own manual kitchen tools like whisks and spatulas so that the school doesn’t have to go out of their ways to get new ones. After the ladies are done with wearing the plastic aprons, they proceed to take out their tools. I start to worry as a lot of them are looking at those tools like they are wondering on how to use them. I suppose I can’t really blame them, since a lot of them have personal chefs who cook their meals for them. We have to use knives, so extra close supervision is required.

   The cooking class begins with a demonstration by our class president and vice-president, Kazuki and Murata. Kazuki is responsible for making the mochi, while Murata is in charge of making the dorayaki. They’ve actually spent some time to practice, which is why the demonstration went off without a hitch. After the demonstration’s over, it’s time for the students to try their hands on making the sweets themselves while us and their teachers supervise them.

   While quietly observing the ladies’ progress, I made sure to stay away from Miyagawa-san while minimizing conversation with those who requires my guidance. The second part is especially important since-

   ‘You there! No flirting with our students!’ one of the old crones shouts loudly.

   I look around to see whom she was talking to, and I see Oshima keep on apologizing to the dried-up prune who yelled at him. I don’t know what happened, but I’m sure the old teacher was just being overly dramatic. And I really hate the fact that the only job they’re doing so far is to watch us guys like hawks so that we don’t get too chummy with their students instead of helping us out with the supervision.

   Meanwhile, the other side has literally become a zoo. Kids are running around all over the place causing untold havoc with their teachers trying in vain to keep things in order. I’m so glad that I’m not teaching that group.

   ‘I really hope my skills in cooking will become better in time for my future husband’s sake.’ I hear one of the Yuzuaki students say.

   ‘Oh, there’s no need to worry~. All you have to do is to find a husband who can cook like Takkun over there.’ Suzu is telling the student.

   I turn around and see Suzu pointing at me. She’s giving unhelpful advise to three of the ladies including Miyagawa-san.

   ‘Oh my, a gentleman who can cook? You future partner will be so lucky.’ the student who spoke just now tells me.

   I just shrug and didn’t continue the conversation since one of those old crones might yell at me. I instead look at Suzu.

   ‘It’ll do you good to learn some cooking skills as well you know, Suzu.’

   ‘Eh~? Why? It’s too much of a trouble~. Besides, I got Seriseri anyway, so I don’t want to worry.’

   ‘And if he retires?’

   Suzu thinks for a while before answering. ‘I’ll just eat cup noodles for life.’

   That piqued the ladies’ interest.

   ‘What is this cup noodles you speak of?’ another asks.

   ‘Well-’

   ‘Suzu, don’t corrupt them!’

   Due to the large number of students and the issues from both groups, progress is extremely slow. It’s lunchtime and barely a quarter of them has made their sweets. We got bento boxes from the school’s canteen so that we can fill our stomachs. The Yuzuaki students are being sat down on tables close to each other and watched over by their ancient teachers again, while the grade-schoolers are sitting wherever they like and talking to each other at the to of their voices. I want to have my meal in peace, so I went to search for some quiet corners.

   I eventually settled for a small garden with some brightly colored flowers planted on it. I only took me a few minutes to finish my bento. While I’m looking for a trashcan, I see Miyagawa-san wandering around looking for something. It’s kind of awkward to talk to her after the incident last time, but she looks troubled, so talk to her I did.

   ‘Are you looking for something, Miyagawa-san?’ I ask.

   ‘Oh, hello Bandou-kun. Well, I’m looking for the restroom.’

   ‘Is that so? I saw one just now, I’ll bring you there if you want.’ I offer.

   ‘I would love that very much.’

   On the way, we didn’t talk at all, making the atmosphere very awkward. Eventually, she speaks to me.

   ‘I’m really sorry for turning down your confession last time.’ she says to me.

   I shake my head. ‘Don’t be. You turned me down because you have no feelings for me. There’s nothing wrong with that. I’m the one who should apologize for confessing to you out of the blue.’

   ‘It is fine, really. And I’m glad that you found someone who is willing to be together with you.’

   I tilt my head in confusion. ‘Wait, who are we talking about?’

   ‘That female student called Suzu.’

   ‘Uh, no. We’re nothing like that.’

   ‘But the two of you seem awfully close.’

   ‘We just get along very well. Nothing more than that.’

   ‘I see. My apologies for making assumptions.’

   ‘No worries.’

   Deep down, I was actually hoping that maybe, maybe Miyagawa-san is jealous that she saw me being close with another girl, but nope. She doesn’t look like she cares at all. Whatever. I guess the couples that broke up all over the world will suffer a bit longer.

   I guide her to the toilet and wait patiently until she comes out. While we’re on our way back to the cafeteria, I see a boy sitting in front of a tree gloomily all by himself.

   ‘Do you think that boy is okay?’ Miyagawa-san asks me.

   ‘I don’t know. We better ask.’

   I don’t really want to talk with kids if I can help it, but he looks so depressed I can’t help but worry. If he ever decides to commit suicide, even I’ll be affected.

   ‘Hey kid. You okay?’ I call out to him.

   He looks over to me. ‘Not really. I’m kind of depressed right now, onii-chan. And I don’t know what to do.’

   I was half-expecting him to be rude or plain out ignores me, but he’s actually polite. I don’t mind helping this kind of kid, or anyone for that matter. I walk over to the kid and sit down cross-legged opposite him. Miyagawa-san gets her handkerchief out of her pocket and spread it on the floor before sitting formally on it.

   ‘Why don’t you tell us what happened?’ I request.

   ‘Well, the thing is, I broke up with my girlfriend the other day...’

   Wow. Even grade-schoolers get into relationships nowadays. I feel like I’ve lost as his senior in more ways than one.

   ‘We were getting along just fine, but around a week ago she just told me that she doesn’t like me anymore and wanted to break up. I wanted to do something to fix the relationship since I really like her, but I just saw her acting all flirty with another guy.’

   Ouch.

   ‘Well, don’t take it too badly. This kind of thing happen all the time.’ I advise him.

   ‘Has it ever happened to you, onii-chan?’

   ‘As a matter of fact, it did. That said, you’re luckier than me in the sense that you at least got a girlfriend. Me? I got rejected even before we’ve gone out. For 16 times.’

   And the 16th person who rejected me is sitting right next to me. I don’t even want to think about it.

   ‘...I’m sorry for bringing up your old wounds.’ the kid apologizes.

   ‘It’s fine. Really. My point is this, you gotta get over the break-up if you want to move on, or it’ll keep on haunting you. Who knows, maybe one day you’ll find someone better than her. I mean, you’re still young. Plus, I’m not trying to talk bad about your ex-girlfriend, but if she has recovered this quickly, it probably meant that she never really liked you in the first place.’

   ‘Then why did she agreed to go out with me in the first place?’

   I shrug. ‘Who knows? Just don’t ask her about it. If you do, you’ll just look like a clingy person and might lose friends.’

   ‘Then, what if she talks to me all of a sudden? How should I react then?’

   ‘Act normal. If she’s still willing to talk to you, it means she still wants to be friends with you even though the two of you are no longer lovers. Don’t be the petty one.’

   He looks at bit better once he heard my advice.

   ‘Thank you for listening to my trouble and even giving me advice, onii-chan and onee-chan.’ he tells us.

   ‘But I didn’t do anything.’ Miyagawa-san says.

   ‘At least you listened. My parents never have this kind of patience with me. Well, see you. I’m going back first.’

   Miyagawa-san and I wave at him as he gets up and leaves. The two of us get up and ready to head back as well.

   ‘You seem being used to giving out advises, Bandou-kun.’ Miyagawa-san notices on our way back.

   ‘Well, I did get rejected tons of times already. I guess I learned a thing or two.’ I tell her vaguely.

   I don’t feel like telling her that that’s what I always have to do nowadays just in case she needs my help one day. I don’t want to get involved with her as much as possible after her rejection. I did tell the kid to act normal, but this is this and that is that.

   We continue with the sweets-making after our lunch break, and everyone actually managed to make enough sweets for themselves, even the teachers. After the dinner, which once again consists of simple bento, it’s finally time for the main event. It’s 15 Degrees Celsius, and we’re supposed to sit outside and watch the freaking moon. Real nice way to spend the time. I was hoping that the sky will be cloudy enough to hide the moon so that the event will be canceled, but no such luck. The full moon hangs tall and shiny.

   ‘Say, Takkun. Can I go to sleep?’ Suzu who’s sitting right next to me asks me softly. ‘I got sleepy after eating some snacks.’

   ‘Don’t. If you do, I might fall asleep too.’ I whisper back.

   ‘The snacks got you too, huh?’

   ‘That, and it’s so boring just watching the moon. Plus, the weather’s just nice for a nap.’

   In the end, we manage to survive the event without falling asleep. I also saw the kid I spoke to just now chatting with a girl whom I assume is his ex like they are two best friends. Looks like he decided to take my advice.

   The event ends at nine since the grade-schoolers need their sleep. The students from the two schools thank us for the cooking lesson. After that, us and the Yuzuaki students head back to our own school by riding bus.

21