Volume 02: The gears of fate I could not avoid (3)
1k 2 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day, I decided to try the other route. Since I gained confidence fighting level 15 monsters, I wanted to see how [Dire Wolves] would stack up and if they have any skills worth taking.

 

I walk out of town, and proceed to hunt [Dire Foxes] as I made it deeper and deeper into the forest. Like the [Ravenous Coyotes], the [Dire Wolves] lived farther away from town. After killing about 3 [Dire Foxes] and traveling 3 hours, I pick up the scent of mammals I did not recognize.

 

Of course when I say I did not recognize it, I mean I have not exactly met up with the owners of this smell before. Considering I have spent some time in the leather goods shop, I can definitely find some smell similarity to the smell of the [Dire Wolf] leather goods.

 

By the smell of things, there seem to be 4 of them…

 

I would have preferred to start out with 2 or 3. But I don’t think 4 should be a problem. Especially if I am cautious.

 

As I get closer, they easily picked up on my scent and begin heading my way while attempting to surround me. Of course I am not exactly just going to let them have their way. As they get closer, I activate [Sprint] and run towards one of them. And when I shrunk the distance, I activate both my [Throw] skills focused on speed, and fling a rock right at the [Dire Wolf] in front of me.

 

The [Dire Wolf] attempts to dodge to the side, but is a tad too late and ends up hit in the shoulder. Personally though, I wasn’t even counting too much on the [Throw] to hit as it was more of a distraction, not that I am complaining or anything... I then quickly [Charge] straight at the [Dire Wolf]. Imbuing my katar with wind and activate [Slash], I shred the [Dire Wolf] in half.

 

Realistically speaking, I didn’t really need the wind blade on my katar to kill this wolf, but as I mentioned before. I am not exactly thrilled about being surrounded by 4 monsters around my level, even with my increased stats. Killing the first one ASAP makes it easier for me to be on defensive. So after I killed it, I quickly turned around and took up a defensive stance.

 

Soon the other 3 [Dire Wolves] closed in and looked awfully pissed about me killing one of their own. As they came closer, they again started to spread out trying to surround me. Though I am not exactly going to just stand there and do nothing now am I?

 

I again use [Throw], this time focusing on strength and aim the rock right at the [Dire Wolf] on the left I then activate [Charge] despite the higher stamina cost due to early activation, and head straight at the [Dire Wolf] on the right. Catching it completely off guard, I use [Slice] and wind blade to promptly behead the [Dire Wolf].

 

Now that it is down to just two of them, I plan to fight them a bit more normally without relying on the wind blade.

 

This time around the two [Dire Wolves] decided to stick together instead of splitting up after seeing how quickly I dispatched them one by one. It seems like they are thinking that if I [Charge] one of them, the other will attack me from the side.

 

Since that is what they want, I’ll give them just that and activate [Charge] aiming for the one on the right. But half way into my [Charge], I activate [Throw] on my [Holy-steel Healing Dagger] with full speed right into the left [Dire Wolf]’s face. With the left one out of the picture for the time being, I imbue my katar with my old favorite triple combo of [Penetrate], [Impale] and [Thrust], though now with a new flavoring of [Plunge], stabbing the [Dire Wolf] right in the neck.

 

The [Dire Wolf] ends up flying back due to the impact and I land right on top of it, then after the short stun wears off, I quickly roll off the wolf and get in defensive position.

 

At this time the last one gets its act together and charges straight at me, I use [Evasion] and wait things out hoping to see if it has any useful skills. After playing around with it for 2 minutes or so, noticing it has no useful abilities left I finish it off.

 

After I disassemble them and store them in my [Item Box] I move on. Too bad there wasn’t 5 of them, or I would already be done… now I have no choice but to either luck out and find a lone [Dire Wolf] or have to take on an entire pack. Not that I can’t do so, but one thing my gear doesn’t help too much vs a similar stat adventurer is my lack of stamina.

 

In about an hour or so, I killed 2 more [Dire Foxes], thus completing that quest. Then after another 15 minutes of walking, I pick up the scent of a lone [Dire Wolf].

 

Using the opportunity, I head straight for it.

 

As I begin to get closer, I suddenly stop. The reason is because despite my [Smell Sense] telling me there is only a [Dire Wolf] there, as I got closer my [Presence Sense] picked up 3 other presences with the wolf. After locating their presence, I try to focus harder on my [Smell Sense] and realize there is some unknown scent in the air, but it is super weak, to the point that I normally wouldn’t notice it.

 

This confirms that whatever that is, it is somehow hiding it’s scent to an extent. Which points to some sort of intelligence. As curious as I am, I head towards the location…

 

NOT! Do I look that stupid?!?! I am not some literature hero who after hearing a roar of a dragon goes “What’s that noise? Lets go check it out”. If I don’t know what it is, or it looks suspicious in any shape or form, it’s not my problem! Someone else can gladly handle it!

 

“Shit!” I yelped suddenly realize something and activate my [Sprint] running away as fast as possible!

 

The problem is that if I am in the range of [Presence Sense], there is no way that a [Dire Wolf] would not be able to pick up on my scent…

 

Unfortunately my worst fears have come to pass as one of the presences merged with the [Dire Wolf] and started heading for me!

 

The worst part of it is, even with [Sprint] at level 3, I don’t think I can outrun it... Well if I use the option on my boots and start chaining [Charge] I may be able to outrun it for a short while, but it would eventually catch up to me and I would lack stamina to fight it. Thus guaranteeing my death.

 

It is better off that I find some sort of defensive position, if whatever that is riding it is stronger than me, I can at least use the best of my ability to injure the [Dire Wolf], and then make my escape.

 

Looking around, I find a dense pack of trees and head straight for it. Since I have the convenience of a katar not occupying my hand, I quickly climb the tree with my claws with little pause. I then move around to the neighboring tree and hide in the leaves using [Blend Stealth].

 

My heart beats rapidly in anxiety as I wait for my unknown foes...

 

Soon afterwards, the [Dire Wolf] and the one riding it comes into my view...

 

You have acquired a new skill [NA][Wolf Riding] Level 1

 

Ha? How does that even make sense?!?! I freaking can’t get [Horse Riding] even though I see horses every single day! But [Wolf Riding] which is probably a harder skill to get just pops up like nothing? Where in the world am I gonna get a wolf to ride? Do I have to tame a wolf? Or do I just get a wolfkin to give me a piggy-back ride?!?!

 

Okay, Okay... I need to focus!

 

The one that seems to be riding the [Dire Wolf] is a [Forest Goblin: Wolf Rider]. And its level is 25! Even the [Dire Wolf] he is riding is above its average at level 20!

 

Of course my position should be safe for now at least. From what I remember of the previous [Dire Wolf] pack, their [Sense Smell] is at about level 3. Even if this higher level [Dire Wolf] has it at level 4, it isn’t enough to pinpoint my exact location. It knows around where I am, but not the exact location. And even if it did, relaying anything but the general direction of my location to its rider would be difficult… the issue is…

 

“AHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”

 

You have acquired a new skill [RA][Howling Call] Level 1

 

...to an extent... that! So far, only the [Dire Wolf] and its muscular green rider came. But there were two other presences... Which means if I don’t dispatch this [Forest Goblin: Wolf Rider] soon, they will come here and make things difficult. Even worse would be if those two called for reinforcements. Either way, regardless of what I plan to do, I need to do it soon... In a battle of attrition, I am guaranteed to lose!

35