Volume 01: A new path forward in the darkness (4)
1.2k 1 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While we were walking through the forest looking for herbs. I was processing some of the information I got from the guild. Long story short, I doubt I can level up outside of killing monsters. I might be able to speed things up if I start collecting herbs for real. But with Kuina here that is rather difficult. I can try waiting out till I get enough trust to be alone, but I don’t know when that would be.

 

I need to level up as much as I can while looking for a solution to the [Slavery Collar], cause even if I do get out, it does not change the fact that I am too weak. But regardless, I need to start collecting information on the [Slavery Collar] and my best bet on it is Kuina.

 

Though that is hard to pull off when every half an hour Kuina says things like “You won’t be so lucky today”. She is really taking things a bit too personal.

 

After some thought I came up with a solution. I call it “Operation: Two Birds with one stone”. The plan is simple really, I will use my [Smell Sense] to find monsters and identify their smells from a safe distance. Once I know how the monsters look like and their average level. I will on purpose lead us to monsters while looking for herbs. An evil grin appears on my face.

 

Everyone says that companions are born in battle! If me and Kuina fight together and grow stronger together. She will eventually accept me and I’ll be free to ask her anything I want. My very own foxkin encyclopedia!

 

Of course there is a lot of risk in this plan. I really did not want to fight monsters head on. I would prefer to trap and ambush them from a safe distance. But now since I will be “accidentally” leading us to monsters. Not only will we not get the ambush, in some cases the monster will get the head start since I would have to approach from a direction of the wind to get around Kuina’s [Smell Sense] Level 1. The bright side to this is Kuina is pretty strong. She is 15 years old and level 9. So she should be almost 2X stronger than me in theory. So if we hunt solo monsters that are Level 5 and below it should be pretty safe...probably…I’m sure she would be very thankful once this is all over!

 

Now then, lets start the operation. But first lets get a head start by getting some information from Kuina. While she might not be willing to talk about many things, since this topic is related to herb hunting it should be fine.

 

“Hey Kuina, I have a question. What kind of monsters are around these parts and what levels are they? I want to be sure that I avoid them the best I can” I say in the most innocent tone I can muster.

 

Kuina looks at me a bit ticked and says “Who let you call me by my name retard?!?” she takes a moment to ponder while glaring daggers at me then continues “Ugh..fine. The monsters around these parts include [Rabid Squirrels] who range from level 2 – 6. [Stink Beetles] who range from level 3 – 8. [Dire Mokeys] who range from level 5 – 12. [Red Wolfs] who range from level 8 – 15. Just try not to get yourself killed on my watch.”

 

So it seems like the only ones that fall into the acceptable safety range are [Rabid Squirrels] and [Stink Beetles]. Though I somehow have a bad feeling about the later. I wish [Smell Sense] could help me detect a monster’s level but that is just wishful thinking.

 

So first order of business is finding what [Rabid Squirrels] smell like. I try to hone in on all the mammal scents I can’t identify and proceed in that direction. As we get closer, Kuina suddenly stops.

 

“There is a monster near by!” she exclaims as she takes up an alert stance.

 

Playing dumb I ask “Do you know which kind of monster is it and how many?”

 

“It smells like a single [Dire Monkey]” she exclaimed.

 

I see...that is a scent of a [Dire Monkey]...a bit risky but there is still a high probability it is within safety range. I prepared my spear for combat.

 

We both stood there covering each other’s back searching for the monkey. Of course I actually knew exactly where the monkey was due to my higher skill level despite not being able to see it behind the leaves of the tree. The monkey was still a distance away and I was worried that Kuina would insist to run if there was an opportunity to escape.

 

So I let the monkey get closer and closer while remaining vigilant. Once the monkey got close enough we both noticed it, I instinctively activated [All-Observing-Eyes] though at that moment I saw a rock being flung at me.

 

 

You have acquired a new skill [RA][Throw] Level 1

 

 

I barely dodged it by a few millimeters and used [Identify] on the [Dire Monkey].

 

 

Dire Monkey

Gender

Male

Race

Dire Monkey

Class

Level

HP

390/390

MP

?

Dire Monkey

8

 

 

A little bit out of my comfort zone but should still be doable. The biggest issue is getting to it since it is on a tree. I guess it is time to try my new skill!

 

I grab rock from the ground and use the [Throw] skill. Unfortunately the [Dire Monkey] flung to the side and I missed but luckily it was enough to get him off balance and he landed on the ground.

 

Not wanting to miss this opportunity I activate [Charge] while stabbing with my spear. In the past my spear thrusts were more akin to a child playing with a stick, but now that I have spear mastery even at level 1 I feel I can probably at least compete in a high school competition.

 

I stab the monkey in the shoulder, not wanting to lost the opportunity while the monkey was off guard, I then raise the spear and use downwards [Slash]. Unfortunately, due to my spear being a blunt weapon due to it being a wooden spear and not a real one, the bonus of slash was limited but still better than nothing.

 

 

You have dealt 62 damage to the [Dire Monkey]!

You have dealt 83 damage to the [Dire Monkey]!

 

Despite my decisive blows, my mastery of the spear and the monkey’s rather low defense the damage I did was rather lacking due to my poor weapon. I then jump back and gain a little distance as a spear is not particularly grand at short range. Since I injured the shoulder of it’s dominant arm, it should have a harder time throwing things as well.

 

I then take a notice of Kuina who is just standing there staring blankly.

 

“What are you doing Kuina?!?! help me out here!” I exclaim.

 

She snaps out of her stumper and yells back “What are you doing! This is our chance to run!”.

 

Somewhat perplexed I question back frantically “What do you mean run?!?! It is injured and alone so we can take it out!”

 

Noticing the monkey making a move to attack head on in rage. I again activate [Charge] and stab the monkey in the stomach blowing it back. This time due to it being a decisive blow at rather close range, the damage was much better despite the poor weapon.

 

 

You have dealt 136 damage to the [Dire Monkey]!

 

From behind I can hear stomping and and yelling.

 

“Ugh! You stupid retard! Why do I have to put up with this!?!?” Kuina complained.

 

Then she gets in a ready position and… runs away…

 

 

You have acquired a new skill [RA][Sprint] Level 1

 

“WHA?!?!” I exclaimed completed stunned.

 

I totally did not see that one coming...wasn’t she ordered to protect me?

 

Since the monkey noticed that its opponents has shrunk down from 2 to 1 and that I was momentarily off guard. It decided to vent its anger and jumped straight at me!

 

I quickly brandished the spear and again thrust forward hitting the [Dire Monkey] by its thigh. Unfortunately, the hit was shallow and not only was the damage low but I was not able to stop its momentum and the monkey landed right on top of me. As a result I ended up falling to the ground and letting go off the spear.

 

With the monkey on top of me it started bashing me in the face with its arms over and over.

 

You have dealt 18 damage to the [Dire Monkey]!

You have taken 24 damage. You have been stunned for 0.5 seconds.

You have taken 32 damage. You have been stunned for 0.5 seconds.

You have taken 28 damage. You have been stunned for 0.5 seconds.

You have taken 36 damage. You have been stunned for 0.5 seconds.

You have taken 31 damage. You have been stunned for 0.5 seconds.

 

Things were not looking good… In no time at all I lost almost half my HP and I could not pull myself together as the monkey kept bashing me on the head.

 

As I was panicking trying to find a solution out of this desperate situation I heard a loud * thud *, afterwards I stopped feeling being attacked and opened my eyes. The monkey was gone and instead was a blue window.

 

 

 

Level up!

Sentient Creature: +1 in all unlocked attributes +1 free attribute +20 HP +10 Stamina +10 Mental

Beastkin: +2 STR +2 VIT +1 AGI

Catkin: +2 AGI +1 DEX

 

I took a look around and behind me was the [Dire Monkey] with its face to the floor and a rusted dagger stabbed in the back of its neck.

 

Preceding over it was Kuina. Who then came over to me and asked if I was okay…oh who am I kidding…

 

“Are you stupid?! Are you a retard!? Wait don’t answer that! Who in the world attacks a monster head on like that? Do you have a death wish?! I don’t care if you die but don’t do it on my watch or I’ll get in trouble!” she complained.

 

Wondering thus far I asked the first thing in my mind “I thought...you ran...so why...” I inquired.

 

“Of course I ran! I don’t have a combat class nor any combat skills, the only thing I can remotely use for combat is an ambush via [Sprint]’s momentum from a long distance. And even then that is pushing it. I am not a suicidal retard like you who rushes in head first!” she bellowed.

 

This is definitely something I did not consider...Since my Unique Skill does not allow me to get or train skills normally, I never thought about how difficult it is to obtain skills. So despite Kuina being Level 9 she is most likely weaker in combat than I am?

 

This is really a bind, I am going to have to reconsider my options and might have to find a way to convince Kuina to fight monsters with me. At the very least provide some cover…

 

So for now I put “Operation: Two Birds with one stone” aside and proceeded to gather herbs at a steady pace. When we collected the 15 herbs for the day we headed for the guild, Kuina seemed to be rather upset that I was able to meet the quota 2 days in a row.

 

...

31