Vol. 3 Chapter 109: Peace Proposal
493 4 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Late in the morning, the two envoys gathered in the throne room. Alistor looked around, he was a little impressed. Perhaps he just expected less ever since coming here and seeing what he saw. He faced forward, the royals sat on their thrones at the front. While the two princes stood at the center of the room.

“Envoys of the Tornridge Empire, tell us what this peace proposal of yours entails. I and the rest of the royal family will hear you out.”

Alistor alone stepped forward. “Thank you, Your Majesty.” He took a deep breath. “You have shown kindness to us on our arrival. For that, I am truly grateful, and thus, I hope you will find our offer of peace agreeable.

“The Tornridge Empire formally requests the kingdom of Wisteria to join our alliance. Where in summary, we will promote free trading with each other, military, and political cooperation, among others. All for the growth of both our nations.”

The king leaned back. “An alliance, huh? But Wisteria is already in an alliance.”

“Indeed, that is why we request you to shift your allegiance with us. The Empire that is more advanced and powerful than any other flags on the continent.”

“And, who will be the head of this alliance? Or will it be all equal?”

“Wisteria and Tornridge will both be on equal standing. Major decisions involving the alliance shall be made by both nations before being carried out.”

The king narrowed his eyes. “Tornridge? The Empire that has been a total behemoth of a nation, wishes to be an equal of Wisteria?”

“Yes, all that matters is peace.”

“Is that so? Then, why haven’t you approached the other nations with this proposal?”

“And for that, we have a condition.”

He furrowed his brow. “What?”

Alistor smiled. “In order to join our alliance, and accept a great opportunity, you will give all your support in engaging our enemy — the kingdom of Myra.”

The royal family looked at him in shock.

Alistor continued. “You will aid us in attacking the enemy. Myra has been a thorn in our side. Harassing the Empire whenever they can. The Emperor cannot allow such transgressions. And with your support, and debut of this alliance, Myra must be incorporated. The Empire is willing to share the spoils of war with Wisteria if you agree. This includes lands, of course.”

The crown prince, sitting beside the king, slammed his fist on the armrest of his throne. “Don’t be absurd! You think we’ll betray Myra?” He glared at Alistor.

“As leaders of a nation, should we not do everything we can for our homeland? To achieve prosperity? An ally with us, and an expansion, our cooperation, Wisteria will develop faster than in the last decades. Together, we will grow.”

“And sacrifice Myra?!”

Alistor opened up his arms. “Is that not a necessary price to pay for a better future? To take over that aggressive of a kingdom, and help guide its people on a better path.”

The king placed a hand on Eleden’s shoulder, to calm him down. And thus, the crown prince stood down with a scowl. The king looked at Alistor with a composed expression. “Prince Alistor, Myra is our ally. We cannot just discard them.”

“Your Majesty, Myra is an ally that offers little benefits compared to us.”

“Even if we do agree, the Holy Kingdom of Valaies, will not stand idly by.”

“In due time, the Holy Kingdom will be asked not to intervene. However, if they do not, as an ally of the Empire, Wisteria will be asked to assist us in dealing with them.”

The king raised an eyebrow. “You are basically asking us to betray all our allies.”

The queen on the king’s other side spoke out her thoughts. “That is asking a lot of us. And quite despicable.”

“We do what we must for the ones we love, especially to our homelands. There is no good or evil.”

“And if we refuse?”

“Then there is nothing I can do but hope you change your mind. Otherwise, we will respect your choice.”

“I disagree with this. I refuse to accept your conditions,” the crown prince said in an angered tone.

“I’m afraid your monarch has the final say in this.”

The king leaned sideways, thinking about it. “Prince Alistor, this is a heavy choice. The cooperation between the Empire and Wisteria is enticing. But betrayal of our allies… This is a decision that cannot be made lightly.”

Of course it is.

That was its purpose. It was meant to be a tough choice to make. One that cannot be made in an hour, or a day.

“Yes. That is why we are willing to give Wisteria time to deliberate on this.”

“Father. Is there even something to think about?” Eleden said to the king.

The king looked at his son in understanding. “Hm. You’re willing to wait, yes?” He asked the imperial prince.

“Of course.”

“We do not want to betray our allies. But I cannot make impulsive decisions. I must think about this. Still, what you’re asking is just too extreme. Hm.” He placed a hand on his chin, pondering.

“I think we really should give it some thought,” joined in a sweet voice.

Everyone instantly turned towards that unexpected input from someone. Alistor smiled softly as he looked the princess in the eyes.

She continued as she gave Alistor a tender smile. “You made a fascinating offer. That is why I think we should take things slow. Don’t you think so, father?” She turned towards the king.

“... Is that what you think, daughter?”

“Yes. If his imperial prince would give us apt time before he hears our answer.” She returned her eyes to Alistor. “We still need to consider the consequences of both options, what steps we may need if we do decide.”

“Of course, take your time.”

“Would a week be fine, Prince Alistor?”

“That is fine, princess. In fact, take as much time as you want. I still want to take a look around your beautiful city, anyway. There is a lot to see, right?”

“Yes, I’m sure you will find many things interesting and beautiful.”

Alistor nodded at her. He didn’t expect the princess would share her thoughts here.

She likes me that much already?

He had a feeling that the princess did it for him. And that filled him with pride. If the king had made a decision here, Alistor would have still offered the king time to reconsider, as the Empire truly wanted to ally with Wisteria. And add to it the reason that he wanted to go sightseeing.

But this outcome was better.

The king spoke. “Very well. We will deliberate this at length. You may leave now, princes of the Tornridge.”

“Thank you, your majesty.”

With a satisfied smile, Alistor, along with his brother, made their way out. But not before he gave a subtle wink at the princess. At which the latter flinched and blushed.

Once outside, Alistor said, “Then, Cilas? That went well, didn’t it?”

Cilas frowned. “Indeed...”

***

The king glanced at the lead knight. “Leave us, all of you.”

With a bow, the lead knight led his kins that served as guards out of the throne room. Now, all that was left is the royal family. The queen, Meliya, right next to the princess, frowned in confusion at her daughter. The princess was all red.

“Dear, are you alright?”

“H-Huh? Yes, I’m alright.” She straightened her posture.

Meliya gave her a suspicious look while the king leaned forward and asked his daughter.

“So? We really are going to talk about this, Estelia?”

Eleden chimed in. “There’s no way we’re agreeing with them, right? No way.”

Estevan added his thoughts. “We can’t trust them at all.”

Estelia placed a hand on her cheek. “We truly need the time to think about what Prince Alistor said. I must say, they made quite the terms.” She chuckled adorably, but she still had that enamored look.

The king worriedly stared at her. “Daughter, clear your mind…”

“My mind is clear, father~.”

Seeing how her daughter was acting, the queen came to a realization, and she asked to confirm. “Dear, are you infatuated with that prince?”

The king palmed his face, Eleden heaved a tired sigh, while Estevan rose from his seat in shock as he screamed, “Huh?!”

Estelia froze and stared at her mother’s eyes in confusion. “Uh, well. No…?”

For Meliya, it was bizarre to see Estelia feel and act this way. People act differently when it comes to someone they like or love. But it would seem because of that, Estelia’s sharp mind was clouded. And now she was acting like this.

Meliya was open to any men around Estelia for her to start liking. Even a noble or prince from other nations would be fine. However, if it’s from that Empire, then that was something she cannot allow. Even how much it would pain Meliya’s heart to do this, she must not let Estelia fall even further.

“You have been staring at him so differently.”

Estelia blinked as the red on her face gradually disappeared. “Is this because I suggested that we think about the peace proposal?”

“Part of it, yes.”

“Uh, ha-ha.” She awkwardly chuckled. “N-No. In the end, we still need time. We cannot break their offer this early with all the preparations we need to finish up.”

Are you just making excuses, dear?

Meliya couldn’t bring herself to say it.

“Estel! You can’t be, right? Right?” Estevan rushed at her, with an expression on the brink of crying. “Anyone, just not that guy!”

“W-What are you on about? You seem to misunderstand, we already know that we’re going to reject their proposal. We just need to delay giving it as much as possible.”

“That I understand, dear. But…” Meliya grasped Estelia’s hand. “I cannot allow you to love a royal from that Empire.”

Estelia’s eye twitched. “W-What…? Why? Why would you —”

“Dear, I’m sorry. But please don’t.”

Estelia looked away, confusion plastered all over her face. “I think you’re overthinking things, everyone. But you don’t have to worry about me. So calm down.”

“It will pass, dear. We all experience heartbreaks.”

“Eh?”

18