Chapter 73: Personal Chef (Part 2)
2.6k 9 111
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I turned with a smile towards the newly arrived two. Cerous was in shock, but not to the level like last time, he must already be getting used to my frequent visit. Allie on the other hand was more composed than him.

They walked closer to me before bowing followed by a greeting. Allie raised her head first.

“Your highness, I expected you to come today.”

“Oh, I guess I am that predictable now.”

I said with an embarrassed smile.

“I got to taste the chicken this morning, a splendid outcome, don’t you think?”

“Yes, your highness. I was worried that the chicken would spoil or get bad, so I tightly sealed it and placed it in a container within an appropriate temperature.”

Good thing she didn’t store the chicken during the day when it’s hot. The nights here were cold, you know. Unlike in the modern times where cities with massive buildings increase the temperature drastically. Here though, I find it much better, countless trees surrounded us, so it’s cool.

If I knew it was hot, I wouldn’t have suggested it. Oh well, all’s well that ends well. I should say, it’s quite risky to marinate food without a refrigerator.

I don’t want to get sick. It would be embarrassing for a beautiful and delicate lady such as myself to get diarrhea. Imagine me, stuck on toilet... fuck that!

Good thing cooks know when a food or ingredient is bad — except of course if they’re an idiot sandwich.

“Good good. But multiple trials will be needed I think before we can say it is at its finest. But, I am quite satisfied by what I ate earlier. I commend you for that.”

I walked nonchalantly towards the chair and sat down. I extended my hand forward indicating the other chair.

With a wide joyful smile on my face, I spoke to Allie alone.

“Miss Allie, please sit down.”

She was baffled by my request, blinking a couple of times before finally sitting down on the chair I pointed at. I clasped my hand delicately in silence as I stared at her for a moment..

Her eyes asked many questions but I merely looked around the kitchen before finally speaking to her.

“You have been an apprentice for quite a time, am I right?”

I turned to look at her eyes with a bright expression.

“Uh, um yes, I suppose.”

“I wonder, with your talent and skills in the culinary art, you still remained in that position.”

She lowered her eyes for a moment.

“Well, the castle already has a chef. And the master of the house needs to appoint you to a position as a chef to be officially recognized as one.”

“... I thought so…”

I grew silent for a moment before continuing.

“I am truly impressed. You strive for improvement and new creations. Experimenting with new dishes... a curious and creative mind. A person who always moves forward, never stagnant.”

She looked confused as ever now, she didn't seem to understand what I was saying.

“I look forward to your future, miss Allie.”

I stared at her with a sweet smile.

“...T-Thank you, your highness. But, I don’t understand where this is going…”

I rubbed my thumbs together as I timidly replied.

“I don’t think someone as talented as you should remain in such a rank. That is why…” I leaned a bit forward. “I formally request you to become my personal chef.”

“Eh?”

Everyone’s eyes went wide in surprise. I should call myself lucky that my father has yet to promote Allie as an official chef. If he did, I would not have been able to take advantage of this.

She had been stuck as a mere cook, a position that undermined her talents and skills. Surely someone like that desires to step up the ladder. That being said, I have yet to hear her reply.

“Is that so surprising?” I said with seemingly genuine confusion. “With talent such as yours, Miss Allie, surely you deserve to level up in the ranks.”

“I am just… surprised that you yourself would personally offer that position. But…” she glanced at Cerous.

“Yes, there will be two chefs if you accept. However, the superiors are different in this case, right? Cerous answers directly to the king, but you are to me.”

Although, I won’t be the one to pay her, hahaha!

I then continued.

“If you accept my offer, you will be officially recognized as a chef. You can even be known as the personal chef of the princess. Which I believe will be a great help for your future.”

“...Y-Yes, I guess…”

“Not only that, as a chef, you can strive to create or improve dishes more freely. You can use any ingredients without limits, get the ingredients you require. Furthermore, the pay will be better of course.”

I chuckled as I said that.

“Well, as a chef yourself, you can be a boss and hire new cooks. Of course, permissions to do so will be required.”

She turned stiff as she seemed to ponder.

With clasped hands, I leaned forward.

“So, will you accept my offer?”

She looked at me. No, she was staring at me in the eyes. I do not know what she could be thinking about. I saw her lips trembling as though she was holding down her own smile. She seemed to hesitate.

Allie looked around at everyone then momentarily stopped at the other cook, Tenil.

She faced forward with a deep breath as though she steeled herself for her answer. What could the reason be for her hesitation? Perhaps it was the young man.

Yes, she was about to rise up after all, and the other will be left behind. They were perhaps good friends that Allie would feel bad for. However, this was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Perhaps in a commoner sense, being appointed as a chef in a noble household would maybe not be that big of a deal. However, those who have experienced high society, in aristocracy, or perhaps only in the wealthy, having to become an official chef in a house of a noble was a big deal, it brings a great merit and opportunity if the time comes to use it.

Plus, being known as a personal chef of a royal princess, just think how others would see her. She would be someone very important. You would get the reputation of being a highly skilled chef to be appointed as a personal chef of royalty.

No one would want to miss this chance.

There could be two outcomes. She refuses, or accepts. If she refuses, now that would be suspicious. What reason could she be working hard in this place if she did not even take the chance or even dream about having this? That would make her more suspicious than she already was.

Or, she would be a fool to reject this chance for some other person. No, she would be crazy. And, it doesn’t seem she had any special feelings for Tenil. Plus, what about that thing that happened in the hallway between her and Oryn? Therefore, it was highly unlikely she would reject my offer for this young man.

If she accepts, then all’s good. I can get closer to her. But she would also get closer to me. However, I believe in my observation skills.

The outcome I wanted here…

“Your highness… I accept. I accept your offer.”

I resisted the urge to smirk.

This… this was the outcome I wanted.

I formed a wide happy smile as I extended my arm and held Allie’s hands tightly. She froze in shock by my sudden action, she never anticipated that she would be held directly by the princess.

“Thank you, Miss Allie!” I said with excitement. “With this, we can finally become even closer friends.”

Her eyes went wide.

“F-Friends?”

“Yes, friends!”

“W-With the princess?”

“Why not?”

“...”

“See? No reason to not be friends. Plus, I get to taste your newly made foods first, isn’t that exciting?”

Her smile grew wider, then she chuckled, in almost of a laugh.

“Are you happy, Miss Allie?” I asked.

“Yes, yes I am. I finally got to be a chef. It… is a dream come true. Thank you so much, your highness.”

I could hear and feel the great joy in her voice.

“Mm! And I get to have another friend!”

We stared at each other for a long moment.

Such friendly gazes.

“Ah! I have to tell father this quickly!” I said with excitement as I stood up. “I’ll be leaving to tell him of this great news. See you!”

I turned to move, but halted in my tracks as I glanced at Tenil for a moment. His movements looked like he wanted to say something.

“Do you have something to say before I go, Tenil?” I said with an innocent smile.

“I…” he closed his hands. “... I will rise up… your highness.”

“Good! I will watch over your progress with great interest.”

I left the kitchen as I headed towards the office of my father.

“My father will be in his office I presume.”

I asked Vernon.

“He should be.”

“Excellent!”

I energetically walked, although not necessarily fast. It really gave off the impression that I was excited to tell my father while conserving energy.

“Your highness…” Vernon called me.

“Yes?”

“Why did you suddenly offer the girl a position of personal chef?”

“Could I not?”

“That is not what I mean. For what purpose did you give that offer? We already have a chef.”

I stopped in my tracks and placed a finger on my cheek as though trying to think how I would explain.

“Talented individuals are to be cherished. Their abilities, skills, and motivations are to be treasured.”

I turned to look at Vernon then to Mera.

“Humanity’s individual excellence is what progresses the world, and not humanity as a whole.”

Yes, like how one individual strived to create the first light bulb. Like how the first telephone was made, or the first plane. Many more inventions were led and progressed mostly by one person or carried out by a few. Almost one person always takes the first step.

Individuals take lead in innovations, and thus, should not the same thing be the same to this world?

“Society as one cannot progress without the lead of one talented individual. Isn’t that why we have kings or queens?”

“So you see that that girl, Allie, has the potential to bring progress to our society…? You truly thought of it this far?”

Well, of course, that was not the complete reason at all. Do I look like I would stress myself out for society? Don’t be ridiculous.

“... Talented individuals must be given what they deserve. And I know, I can imagine, just how much they could contribute to the people and our future. Besides, the world of culinary arts, I think that is a good place to start. Let’s say it is like our first baby steps.”

His eyes went wide.

“Your highness, are you perhaps along with it… also finding talented direct subordinates?”

For some reason I felt a bit anxious by how he was looking right now. He appeared to be imagining something.

Hey, stop it. Stop overthinking this.

“What could you be talking about, Vernon? I am only doing it for the reason I told you.”

I feel like regretting all I just said….

“You say that but…” he stared at me for a long moment before taking a deep breath. “Never mind, your highness.”

“U-huh… Okay…”

 

Geez. a lot of new things had popped up altogether. First, I'm  a Spider, so what? new volume. Then there's new volume of Tearmoon empire. Then now the Inazuma update of Genshin....... *sigh* cool. Gonna read some things, play some, lol. Gonna level up Ayaka fast. Yeah! I got Ayaka for those who plays Genshin. Of course at the cost of all my primogems, now I'm broke.

And oh, I also joined a Writing Prompt Contest in webnovel. It's been like two days and they have not yet screened/verified it or something. Yeah, new novel's name is "Undying Symphony", I think I'm gonna share the link when it's verified now and be allowed to give stones. Expect that I'll be asking for everyone's help, of course if it's no trouble for you.

 

111