Vol. 2 Chapter 40: Aristocrat Meeting (Part 3)
1.6k 4 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Now that wasn’t a particularly thrilling meeting. Well, what else was I expecting anyway? In any case, at least I have an idea of what would be happening in the festival, which I am looking forward to. I want to enjoy life too, you know.

‘But Estelia it would be stupid to go out, you’re being targeted remember?’ Excuse me? Are you serious? What about everyone shut it with the griping! Don’t tell me you actually thought I haven’t thought about that. If you did, you’re a disappointment to your family.

Why do you think I’ve been grinding my ass off all this time? For goodness’s sake.

Don’t underestimate a goddess! Okay, maybe that fact is getting into my head, it just makes me feel superior. I am already perfect, but add another perfection, that’s just — mwah! Magnifico!

Thinking I’m a goddess just gives me the courage to snap pastas in half! That sure would piss some people off — I’m joking, don’t get mad.

Ahem… anyway, I just left the meeting hall and intending on meeting up with my cousin. Sheesh. I don’t know what’s better, being in that hall with some old timers or with my cousin. Not like I can choose anyway, my parents basically said to me ‘go play with your cousin’. In where I would be the one be played instead.

Whatever.

On my way though, I saw a familiar man, it was Lucious. He was speaking with a nobleman that joined in the meeting, he was the man who shared the same surname as Lucious, Vekenas. He was also the person who volunteered to supervise the festival preparations.

They were smiling to each other kindly and spoke to each with friendliness and familiarity.

“It’s great to hear you’re supervising this year’s festival, uncle. Hehe, I’m sure such a matter is trivial for you.”

“Hehehe, you think too highly of me. I am actually feeling rather anxious.”

“If you need help, just ask, I’ll help you the best I can.”

“Thank you. I know not all things go to plan, so I might certainly need the help I can.”

It was then that Lucious first noticed me, and his eyes shifted to Rogan who was behind me and frowned, only to return to normal when he returned his gaze at me. The nobleman realizing there was someone behind him, turned around, and his eyes widened at my presence.

It took a moment of delay before he fixed his posture and formally bowed.

“Greetings, princess.”

“... Greetings… You two are closely acquainted I see.”

“Estelia — Princess Estelia, you two haven’t personally met, but let me introduce him. Marquis Hevrik Fumine Vekenas, my uncle. He took a pretty good care of me when I was still young.”

“It is a pleasure to finally meet you face to face, princess. Truly, you are a surprise to behold. I have only heard stories about you from my nephew here.”

“Stories? What type of stories?”

He shifted his eyes to look at Lucious who had an expression of someone who seemed to have been pushed to a corner, he was stiff and eyes wide as if he was trying to convey something to the marquis.

But the marquis only grinned.

“He always mentions how he enjoys your company and how he loves gazing at you.”

“Oh…”

When I looked at Lucious, he had already averted his face away and rubbing his hand under his lips.

Busted.

But damn marquis, you just exposed him just like that? Have a heart. What a snitch.

I blushed a little as I spoke. “... I understand that I’m disturbing your reunion, so please, continue on. I need to be somewhere else. Goodbye, Marquis.”

“Goodbye, your highness.”

“Lucious.”

“Y-Yes, see you later.”

I walked past them and made my way to my cousin. I thought about Lucious as I walked, I still don’t know how to answer his offer.

Dammit, why am I even taking that as a problem? Just adds to my headaches. I’ll just toss a coin or something. Besides, my crew would be with me during my tour, so it wouldn’t be like he had hoped anyway. That being said, it still needed to be pondered about.

When we arrived at the main lobby of the palace, we searched for a nearby servants that should have been the firsts to meet the nobles at the entrance. The servants that came to let me know about my cousin earlier only told me she had arrived and was waiting for me, and never told where to find her.

It took no time at all to find a servant that would lead us to the guest room where my cousin would be.

When we arrived, there was another servant outside the room, must be the one to take whatever order my cousin would have.

“Wait, I’ll personally enter,” I stopped the servant from knocking the door. “Are there no other guests inside?”

“No.”

“Alright… Sir Rogan, stay here.”

“Understood, call for me if something comes up.”

I nodded at him and then rapped my hand on the door.

“Mizia, it’s me, Estelia… I’m coming in.”

I didn’t wait for her response and opened the door. When I first saw her face, her blue eyes were lifeless as she lifted her gaze at me, before the corner of her beautiful lips rose and her eyes brightened all at an instant.

The moment I saw that, I immediately closed the door.

“Estelia! ~”

She jumped up and rushed towards me with arms forward, preparing to hug me. Her crimson hair bouncing as she came to take me into her arms, her embrace tight.

“Estelia, how cruel of you! Do you have any idea how lonely and boring it was?”

“...”

She rubbed her cheek aggressively against mine.

“Wow! Your cheek has become softer!”

She intensified her rubbing. A bit uncomfortable but cheeks of people were always soft. But still uncomfortable to do.

“It’s been so long! You missed me, right? Tell me you missed me.”

“...”

I said nothing and let things happen with a blank expression.

“You’re as cute as ever. Mwah!”

She suddenly kissed my cheek.

“Mwah!”

She kissed me on the other cheek, her kisses were deliberately audible. Seemingly unsatisfied, she kissed me on the other cheek again, then back, then again, and back again. When she was done, she hugged me tightly once again.

I sighed internally.

Whatever, I’m prepared for the agony.

Do your worse!

“Come on, don’t look at me that way!” she giggled adorably. “At least this never changed. How are you, Estelia? I have to say, you did get taller.”

“... I’m alright, Mizia. I am more concerned about you. You must have been waiting for hours.”

“Yes, I was. Since when have you participated in events that involves that?”

“... I… I just wanted to try it.”

“Geez, you should have told me beforehand.”

And precisely how am I going to do that? You never even told me you were coming.

“...”

“In any case, we’re way passed that. Come.”

She pulled my hand and we sat down at the couch side to side and faced each other.

“So, let’s catch up. What have you been up to since the last time we met?”

“Um, not much. Aside from the studying.”

“Same. They weren’t not that hard, didn’t even break a sweat.”

“Is etiquette lesson not hard for you?”

“Nope! In fact, it’s the easiest! No, not quite, it’s right next to academics. Why? Is it hard for you?”

“... A little.”

“Really? You’re naturally gentle, so I thought it would be easy for you. Maybe your instructor is very strict?”

“... Perhaps.”

She is! And the gentle side didn’t help at all when I’m meek.

I needed to act confident, she said.

“Is that so? In any case, I’m certain you will prevail! By the way cousin, do you have any new hobby?”

“... No. I don’t do much of anything. I usually focus on my studies, which is all.”

“You really need to find a hobby, Estelia. Maybe drawing? Or music?”

“I will do what I can. What about you, Mizia?”

“Actually, I’ve been into gardening. Also growing some herbal tea, I often bring them during tea parties with other noble ladies.”

“Tea parties?”

“That’s right! It’s great to make friends. You should come join me Estelia.”

“Um… no… I’m alright… I don’t think it is necessary.”

She held out her finger and moved it from side to side.

“Tsk tsk tsk. Estelia, it’s not just making friends. It’s also about making connections.”

“Connections?”

“For politics and stuff. My parents recommended that I should make connections with other aristocratic children. Otherwise, when we come of age, we will be powerless. I need allies, said father.”

“Is that so.”

“I need to do it even more as the eldest child. As for your case though, I think you have more leeway. So you don’t have to worry too much.”

“Is it not hard for you?”

She shook her head. “Not really, I haven’t met any hard challenges, so it’s alright. In fact, it is father who’s still doing most of the work anyway. I have it easy. That aside, it’s not a fun topic to talk about…” She looked at the nearby case. “Check these out.”

With a smile she stood up and walked over to case, and excitedly opened it, revealing an assortment of outfits. They looked quite fancy. I am a little interested.

“They look great, right? Let’s try it out on you now.”

“N-No! This is not a place to change!”

Is she crazy? Want me to go nude in this place? No way I’ll let any unworthy bugs see my beautiful and perfect body!

No wait, technically Mera already saw me naked, and it would be alright if Mizia saw me nude since we’re both females. But that’s not the point! No one gets naked in a guest room, no less me!

Don’t get me wrong, I’m confident with my body. There’s no reason to be embarrassed about it. But I have a sense of decency! I find no satisfaction exposing my body for no good reason.

Ugh! Why am I even explaining this?

“Ah, you’re right.”

She looked around.

“Hm, we need a proper place for a lady to change. Your room then.”

“Huh?”

She closed her case.

Did she just say my room? That’s not a good idea! My secret stash! No, she wouldn’t touch my things carelessly, likely she would focus on me most of the time, so it’s alright. Besides, she cannot be stopped.

Mizia wouldn’t just take a peek under a bed, like who would do that? So there’s no need to worry.

“Your room, let’s go.”

I can only sigh and watch as she rushed for the door and ordered a servant to carry the case. She’s totally in power here, that’s fine however, there’s nothing life threatening anyway. It had always been like this with her.

We made our way to my room, Rogan following behind us and with him the servant carrying the luggage. Mizia and I led the way, she knew where my room was, so I have no need to lead her.

“By the way, Estelia.”

“...Yes?”

She stopped and then pointed behind us with a suspecting gaze.

“Who is that? I can see he’s a knight but… who is he?”

“Um, he’s my personal knight.”

Her face loosened and stared at Rogan intently.

“I see. He is obedient, yes?”

“I suppose? I don’t really give him too many orders.”

As we continued walking, she leaned close to me and whispered.

“Be careful with men, okay? Especially you. As nobles, we need to be more careful. You’re the princess, but you have to realize you look way more than that. Men cannot be trusted so easily, they only want mostly one thing, and it’s disgusting.”

I feel like I have heard this phrase before.

“W-What are you talking about?”

“… Uh, sorry, that was a strange thing to say. Shouldn’t have said something explicit.”

What’s up with her?

“Just be careful of their motives whenever they make some weird move on you. Nothing is better than sincerity.”

Of all the things to bring up, she brought up that. What’s next? She’s actually romantically insecure or something? If so, I don’t know if I should pity my cousin and be thankful she’s concerned about me.

Well, the concerned part I appreciate.

But hey, Rogan’s cool. But he did not seem to be interested in me, so maybe safe…? I got to admit, it bothers me when my charms don’t work much as I expected.

We shortly arrived at my room and Mizia at once closed the door and opened the nearby folding screen for changing clothes.

Damn, she is serious about this.

“So Estelia, try this out,” she said as she pulled out a dress.

I have no other choice but to change behind the screen. It took a while before I was finished, and I had to ask for help from her. And when it was done… I actually look good.

“Wow wow! Amazing!” she clapped her hands as she watched me.

I was wearing a dark blue dress and loose sleeve, the skirt was an asymmetrical, with the hem on the front being higher, just above my knees, and the back lower.

She may treat me like a doll, but damn! She brought a nice dress!

“Beautiful! Alright, try this next.”

Already?!

But I want to cherish this appearance of mine more!

Fine…

She had me changed into another one. This time a completely dark dress, perhaps the word gothic was more appropriate to describe this. The skirt is just above the knee, and the sleeves were fit.

“You look kind of cool. Alright try this one next!”

Yup, looks like I will be her doll for today.

***

Fuck’s sake that was tiring! We still didn’t finish even when lunch time arrived. So my cousin and my uncle had to eat with us. No problem since they’re family. Besides, I’m feeling good being in new clothes, I look beautiful! Everything just fits me you know. How lovely can I get?

So during lunch everyone had some conversations, not too important. Then after that, we continued the dress up the doll session. I can only surrender myself to fate as she coiled herself around me, and by fate of course I’m referring to my cousin.

The beautiful dress up doll Estelia Vernisia Wisteria, at your service.

At least the outfits were good.

Anyway, she was giving them to me as gifts. But as you can see, she wanted to see me in all of them. Hey, I’ll get the freebies.

So around the middle of afternoon, it was time for them to leave. In front of the palace entrance was a luxurious carriage and the family was here to give our goodbyes.

“Cousin, take care, okay? I’ll see when I can visit again. Though expect it would take a while, perhaps a long while. So bear with it even if you miss me, okay?”

She squeezed me in her arms. I have no opinion about her words.

“Goodbye, Mizia…”

“Yes, goodbye.”

And with that she entered the carriage with her father, then waved energetically at me. I waved back of course, I’m not such a cold person.

When every important people had left, we’re back to normal, for now. Half an hour later, I visited father’s office, he was surprised by my sudden arrival.

“Estelia, for what purpose have you visited?”

My eyes peered one by one at the servants in the room.

“... Father, I am here to hear your plans on the festival’s security.”

“My plans? The responsibility of laying out security during the festival falls into the hands of the supervisor.”

I sat on the chair in front of his desk.

“So he can order the knights as he wishes?”

“Basically yes, he can assign them wherever he requested. That said, I of course need to review the plans, so I still give the permission in the end.”

“I take it the knights will be busy guarding the entire festival?”

“Mm, that’s right.”

“Father…”

I looked at him then to the servants in the room. He seemed to understand what I was trying to say.

“Everyone, leave us for the moment.”

The servants dispersed at once and once the door was closed, father spoke.

“My daughter, if you are worried about your safety, I will spare a number of knights for you.”

“No.”

“No?”

“Have the supervisor design the security network as he wishes. You can review it if you like, you can do it as you normally would.”

“Then why have you come here?”

“Not much. I just want to make sure. As I said, no need to spare some knights to guard me, be it as normal as can be.”

“Then, what do you really want?”

Everything must be normal, giving the illusion that everything is in control. If the enemy get their hands on the plan, there must be a backup plan. There could be two outcomes when I go out in the city.

One, if they knew too well about my security detail, they could study it and find their way to me. Second, they hesitate and find another opportunity. I want more of the former.

That’s why I need more certainty.

“As the knights will be busy and cannot completely guard me, I have a request.”

“I’m listening…”

“The church.”

He light raised his eyebrow. Then I continued…

“You are the one that sent them as hunters. And I have the impression they are stronger than average knights. Thus, I would like to involve them in my security.”

“I see.”

“Is that alright?”

“Of course… I will have the best to be by your side.”

“No, have them hide, do not directly make contact with me. Only guard my surroundings unnoticed.”

I want them to be covert. Plus, I don’t want a crowd following me when I am out on a casual tour. Like come on! That’s no fun.

“If we do that, there will be a slight delay in response when you are attacked.”

“That will be fine. If Sir Rogan is coming with me, a slight delay will be fine.”

Father sighed.

“I am worried, but if that is what you want, that can be done.”

“Oh another thing, father. Please have strict and strong security to watch over Allie.”

“Your former chef, why?”

“With the knights dispersed and a festival going on, that can be a good window to break her out. Therefore, better to increase her security.”

“Alright. But why is it you want to keep her here?”

“She will be a good backup plan when all else fails.”

That’s why I don’t want her to slip out of my grasp.

“And what will be her use to your backup plan?”

“...... Nothing is certain yet, so I cannot say.”

Father sighed, a tiny amount of sadness in his eyes. What are you being sad about, father?

“... Very well. Anything else?”

“Yes. Please don’t tell the specifics of our plan to anyone. Not even to the supervisor. That is the last one.”

“I can do that.”

“Thank you very much, father.”

I gave him a grateful smile.

“Then I will take my leave. I have disturbed you for too long. See you later, father.”

“Okay…”

I stood up and walked over to the door when I heard him say.

“Not telling anyone… you don’t trust Marquis Vekenas?”

I turned to face him and smiled sweetly.

“I just think I should know them better before relying on them.”

I don’t trust anyone that easily.

Especially nobles, they were no different to any politicians. I rather trust a plain soldier more than them. Politicians tend to betray the country more than any soldier.

 

thanks for reading! Please leave a heart, and maybe also a comment!

54