Vol. 2 Chapter 49: The Festival (Part 2)
1.5k 3 51
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mid-afternoon, and we switched venues nearby. Needless to say, we have to use a carriage. This area was larger where wooden seats at the center and at the sides. Then at the front was an elevated platform, wide and long. To be precise a stage. All in all, this place was like a theatre – or it could be considered a theatre, just not too grand?

I heard they expanded the stage twice the size, and now the stage was wide enough to keep a choir of more than ten people. We the royal family were in the frontmost row, with the exception of Mother as she was at a long table in front of the audience chair and a bit elevated. Along with her were five other nobles. One of them was my music instructor. I smiled when I saw her. As you can see, they would be the judges.

This venue had several tall trees and thick foliage; thus, we were shielded mostly from the heat. However, I should say, the heat here was not so bad compared to the old world. I guess the air and atmosphere were cleaner here or something, no global warming and all that. Plus, it’s afternoon, so we’re not completely under direct sunlight.

I looked around, numerous guards were positioned at every corner. Even so, sitting here in public and stationary was not particularly comfortable.

I could have not come here. Buuuut, the princess leaving suddenly wouldn’t look good apparently. Still that would have been an option. But the main reason was because I want to experience the festival… and I am bait, so…

Yeah…

But they haven’t taken the bait! Ugh, who would deny a beautiful bait such as me?

‘Estelia are you serious? Setting yourself as bait, that’s stupid!’ Wow, really? What have I grinded my head and body for, hm? I prepared for this! This was one of the ways. If they won’t come out, I’ll make them come out! Besides, Rogan was right beside me, so I’ll be fine.

Even as casual as I look, I’m still looking out at my surroundings. Plus, the church members were positioned everywhere, not only in the crowd, but possible locations where I could be spotted safely, and also nearby houses.

Will they attack?

That’s the question.

Would I be safe?

Of course not.

Would I die?

Of course not, at least, not without any wounds at least. Hey, sometimes you just must be confident with your skills. If you aren’t, you can’t hope to achieve anything significant.

In any case, my plan’s simple, you see. No need for that complicated stuff. No scheming, no manipulation, no reading people. I mean, why do people like to complicate things and do something complicated? Simplicity works!

Why use chopsticks if you don’t know how to use it? Use a fork! If there’s no fork, then you’re fucked. Nothing we can do about it. Yeah, my metaphor wasn’t that deep…

Moving on, I must comment that there’s a lot of people! And I stand out so bad, dammit. Maybe this place here was too much of a risk than its worth… Yeah, it feels that way. Should I leave? I’m really getting cold feet here. I don’t like sitting down right now, too restful…

No, can’t back down. I thought a lot about this… There’s no need to worry, I have my guards. And this world has no such things as a sniper rifle… Can’t change the plan suddenly when I get cold feet. So what if there’s something akin to a sniper rifle that I knew nothing about? Don’t worry, sometimes you just have to adapt.

I have survived several shootouts, this was no big deal… I have dodged bullets several times… by accident! And luck!

What? I’m no superhuman that can evade bullets at will.

Besides, if I get injured, I can use healing spell. In addition to that, I have physical enhancement to enhance my body, more survivability for me. As I said, I’m prepared…

Okay… Haaaah…

Damn the assholes that are targeting me! I can’t even have a leisurely time! Fuck! I’m so angry right now! I have been for months! Okay, sorry…

As a psychologist – of course I’m not – I can conclude I am not emotionally stable right now… Like I’m on period… which I have never experienced before actually… Oh yeah, even in this world I haven’t had a menstruation… Which was weird certainly I had menstruations as “Estelia” so maybe something’s wrong. No not maybe, something's definitely wrong! Maybe I’m pregnant! Pfft, I’m joking, I'm not pregnant. 

There’s definitely something weird going on with me.

But can’t worry about that now!

The show seemed to be starting as a host stepped on stage and began greeting everyone followed by introducing the aristocratic judges the performers will have to impress to get to the next stage.

There’s only this performance and the finals, so there’s only two times the event would occur. As it was a mystery whether the performers would get to the finals, I heard they have a performance for both preliminaries and finals prepared. As this was a singing competition, it didn’t need a lot of practice I suppose…?

There was no need for dancing while singing and such. Just pure singing, whether alone or with a band. They are scored by their musical performance, not by physical performance. Eh, I don’t like dances anyway, so no problem for me. Excuse me while I watch the show… while looking out for myself of course.

***

A show where one would get to display their musical talents, whether solo or with a group. Sound amplification tools were placed on the stage as many as was requested, like the one used by the bishop earlier. Without those, we wouldn’t be able to hear the performers.

Came performers of various kinds, some with confidence, and others seemed to be nervous and apparently be their first time performing in front of a large crowd. That being said, some that were obviously nervous, their singing voices were appealing and impressive.

High notes were not what made one’s performance worthy of a high score – thank goodness – but rather by the melody and the way they carry their performance. There were a lot of soft and gentle songs sang in solo, ones that were so pleasant that you want to sleep because it’s so soothing to the ears and mind.

Those who performed as a group leaned towards an energetic kind of music. They used round wooden instruments as drums, and other instruments consisted of stringed instruments and windpipes. When the audience was familiar with the music, they would sing along. But there were those songs one would think to be sung in taverns with drunkards, and people seemed to enjoy them. But the quality of the performance varied.

When the audience found a performance delightful, they would cheer so loudly that it shook my eardrums. Needless to say, there were others that have someone to root for, and it was enjoyable seeing them cheer for them.

But of course, there were those with less than average performance. But they were so meager, after with the screening and all. Not only were the performers from Wisteria, but there were tourists at well. Traveling musicians and traveling bards. While there were those from villages somewhere within Wisteria that has heard of the reward.

Everything was entertaining to watch.

There were two solo performers that I particularly liked. A male bard singing with a lute in hand, singing tales, tales about prominent figures he encountered or stories he had heard. Then a local girl who lived here in the city, who sang with a harp. It was a sizable harp that I wondered how much that would be to have. She sang with a soothing melody that touched one’s heart, and a story of love and heartbreak.

Dammit man, love songs always get the good stuff.

Of course I clapped to those two. I’m a bit confused about who I should really root for.

At the end though, when showing the results, half of the performers remained. So it was seven performers for the finals. I know, it’s unlike the nationwide talent shows from the old world, but hey this was just a city-wide contest.

And then, in the duration of this entire contest… None of my enemies made their move. I looked around in confusion. I was utterly confused… like what? I’m here and they’re not doing anything. What’s wrong? Maybe the security was too much? No way, they would be suspicious if the security was too thin.

One of my imaginations suggested that they would go absolutely nuts somewhere I’m at. With of course causing collateral damage during the battle with the knights as they go at me.

Hmmm…

Maybe they’re still observing?

None of the crowd particularly stood out. I mean, a lot of people dress bizarrely you know. Cloaked, hooded, hats, masks, and so on. A lot of them even dressed like adventurers or something.

Those that would be suspicious for me were not suspicious in this fucking world. Dammit. However, they were checked before entering, so I guess that helped – at least that would hold back non-humans, and weapons were taken away.

Even so, things were not going as expected.

When the competition came to an end, the crowd slowly dispersed out of the venue, the knights making sure everything goes smoothly. In the end, nothing happened to me. Very strange… That of course made me worry more than anything else.

When the commoners left, all that remained were the nobles. I made my way to my music instructor, Lanivia, and greeted each other with friendly smiles.

“What do you think of the show, princess?”

She tilted her beautiful face to the side a little. She was clad in a beautiful blue and white dress, with diamonds as earrings and necklace.

“I find it very entertaining. It was thrilling how talented everyone was, I never saw that many perform music before.”

“Oh yes, of course. This is your first time coming out. I am happy that you finally have decided to go out to the festival. Make sure to have fun, okay?”

“I will.”

“Good, good. So, which performer do you find noteworthy?”

I placed a finger on my cheek as I pondered.

“I was greatly impressed by two contestants…” I then went ahead to tell her about the two that I was looking forward to seeing in the finals.

“Oh, them two, huh. Indeed, fascinating performance. One would endear you with tales from other lands, carried with a dramatic voice. While the other was a soothing and calming tune, with a voice full of emotions that speak with one’s heart.”

“Indeed. I hope they’ll have a great performance in the finals. Aside from those two, the others were also incredible.”

“Let us hope they’ll show a magnificent performance in the finals which we all will be entertained and amused.”

***

I met with Mizia before we go on our way back home when the sun sets.

“Honestly Estelia, you look very, very lovely today. And the dress is magnificent! If today has a fashion show, you would dominate everything and everyone!”

Surely without any expensive and exceedingly extravagant dress I would dominate everything and everyone. With my beauty alone I will be the only and rightful winner of any beauty and fashion contest.

Imagine if I joined Miss Universe, wew! Call me the Queen of the Multiverse, will you? My beauty was after all is so divine! Get it? ‘Cause I’m a goddess and all… okay…

“What are you talking about, Mizia? You look wonderful yourself.”

“Oh please, I can see so clearly how the boys around look at you.”

And so I noticed. Hm, if this place was of a different culture, let’s just say more showy and less reserved, a lot would have given me gifts every single day. Like how you would see in stories where people constantly give all kinds of gifts to beautiful beings or something like that. But unfortunately, it wasn’t the case – and I’m an introvert… I like it this way.

Okay… I was not exactly an introvert in my former life, okay? I talk to people often. It’s just, being a little anti-social was actually pleasant…

“I… I don’t really think much of anyone…But I admit, I don’t like being stared at too much. But surely you must have received your fair share of staring.”

She looked good actually. With that fine and an almost glimmering red dress that matches her hair, and expensive pieces of jewelry and gems like rubies and diamonds, she looked truly brilliant. She didn’t fall behind me… okay she’s behind buuut, not that far behind me.

“… There was… Some men have actually approached me… But I don’t know… The ones from the capital are more noteworthy. But we need to be careful, there are not so good men around.”

“I-Is that so?”

“Don’t get careless about it, Estelia. You need to think more carefully before you try to be more friendly to a guy. Trust me, men are often deceiving. You need to see through it now that you’re about to be an adult.”

She’s so bitter about men, what gives? I wonder.

“Um, Mizia, did something happen to you that involves… men?”

She looked hesitantly at me before looking away at the distance.

“No… it’s just…”

Her eyes toured around until she stopped. I followed where her eyes stopped and saw a group of nobles, where young men gathered having delightful conversations it seems. I don’t recognize them except for one…

It was the son of my etiquette teacher, Jalen. Hard to tell where exactly Mizia was looking.

“Um, Mizia?”

She turned her eyes at me.

“It’s embarrassing to share… I… I was getting along fine with a young noble man… I believed we had something special going on… I enjoyed his company… But I discovered sides of him that are not so pleasant to me.”

I slightly tilted my head with concern clear on my face.

“What happened…?”

“It’s just… he’s pretty close to other women… a different kind of close… And I couldn’t believe how easily he turned the cold shoulder at me… next I heard he was planning to make a move on…”

She lowered her gaze, hesitant to continue.

“On…?” I was genuinely curious.

“On...” she raised her gaze at me with a pained smile.

The way she said it and paused I can make a guess who that was. Then she affirmed my suspicions.

“…You.”

I shook my head in confusion. I was trying to process what she had just said. Let’s see, those who were making a move on me. Only Lucious would immediately come to mind. But no way she was talking about him, I don’t remember them being that close. And Lucious was a good boy…

Then the guys that interacted with me? Rogan was impossible… So there’s only the son of my etiquette teacher who was so obvious that he was trying to make me fall for him… Oh – shit.

“… D-Do you mean Jalen?

She meekly nodded her head as her eyes were full of sadness. A heartbreak, huh.

“R-Really? Um, I… I didn’t know… I never even met him before practicing with him during etiquette lessons. Uh, I never would have thought… Mizia, are you mad at me?”

I asked her while leaning forward a little, speaking in a weak tone and wearing a face full of maiden innocence as someone completely clueless about everything.

“What? No. I’m not mad. Why would I be mad at you? You never did anything bad… You didn’t even do anything at all.”

She grasped my hand while she stroked my hair on the other.

“… Okay…”

“It’s more like his fault… I don’t ever want to talk to him.”

Came footsteps coming towards us. As Mizia was looking in another direction – at me – she was unable to see the one coming towards us. You must have guessed already. A typical occurrence. Like come on, this just made things more awkward.

“Oh, Mizia, is that you?”

Once my cousin heard that ever so familiar voice, she froze and failed to immediately respond. She took in a subtle deep breath before slowly turning around to the man. Yeah, needless to say, it was the devil – like from the line “speak of the devil.”

I stepped a little to the side to have a glimpse of Mizia. Her brows furrowed and lips pursed, giving the impression she was slightly annoyed and disturbed.

“Jalen… I never expected you would talk to me ever again.”

Jalen raised an eyebrow. “You do not seem pleased. Are you angry? What is there to be angry about? If it’s because of what I think it is, there was nothing between us to begin with.”

“…” Mizia looked away before returning a stronger gaze after gathering her courage. “Yes, indeed. There was nothing. And how I’m glad that it didn’t escalate any further than that.”

The young man smiled.

“Good then! No grievances whatsoever, so you can stop staring daggers at me now. Besides I’m not here for you.”

“If that’s the case, then I’m relieved. So why are you here before me?”

Jalen shook his hand as though dismissing my cousin.

“You were just in the way. I have come hoping to have a delightful talk with the great princess.”

Uh, dammit. Please don’t talk to me. I’m so stressed out right now, I don’t want some nobody add on top of it.

“What?”

“So please excuse me.”

As I was hiding a little behind my cousin, Jalen stepped to the side and politely spoke to me.

“Hello Princess Estelia. Would you mind if I have a little of your time? As friends, I wish to just have a casual conversation. By the way, I must say you look rather brilliant, not any being can hope to match your presence.”

“Um…” I acted as if I was hesitating to speak.

“Yeah yeah, conversation? What would you even talk about, hm?” Mizia chimed in.

Jalen had a look of tiny annoyance as he stared at the interloper.

“Well, we are dance partners during practice sessions. There are plenty of things to talk about and reminisce.”

“Is that so? If I recall correctly, it shouldn’t be that long ago. So there’s not much to reminisce about, is it?”

“There are a lot of things that can be conversed about, so I don’t see why you have to bother us, Mizia.”

“Really now? Well, I was talking with Estelia first. You are the one getting in the way.”

“Is that so? But you seemed to be done already, so what about you leave us alone for a while?”

Huh, he’s pretty adamant. Jalen had never done any obvious courting moves on me, just complimenting me and stuff. So it was a little doubtful that he was truly aiming for me after moving away from Mizia. That being said, I’m not exactly an easy to approach person.

Not only I didn’t talk much, but I also don’t make friends that well. More than that, I barely leave the palace, very barely. Maybe those contributed to why his actions were very limited.

Well, not like I would ever fall for this guy. Well, I exactly never have fallen for anyone. I just mean I won’t get along with this guy. I didn’t like how he treated me during the lessons, I already had a feeling he wasn’t a good man to be with from the beginning.

He got the looks of a womanizer, he even acts like one, I could see it even though he tried to hide it. I saw that trait through his eyes and well… manners. And also he’s a bit cocky – unrighteous cocky man. He didn’t have the right to be that cocky in front of me. More than that, those flirting of his. Boring! He could have made things a bit fun.

In other words, he’s on my worthless list. I care not about this guy.

I just don’t want to be annoyed right now by some bug! I have more important matters to worry about.

“What about no?” Mizia answered.

“Who are you to answer for the princess, Mizia?”

“…” she glared at him. “Her cousin.”

“Not enough reason. Princess…” he again politely spoke to me. “Would you please have Miss Mizia leave?”

Haah, fuck it.

“I apologize but it is time for me to leave. I wished we would have gotten more time, but it seems it is not meant to be today. I will be returning to the palace momentarily. Please excuse me.”

And so I walked away from them. It was nerve-wracking. Not because of them but because of the other issue – the danger to my life and all.

“Princess wait.”

“Estelia.”

I looked back at them and smiled before continuing onward.

51