Vol. 3 Prologue: Tornridge Empire (Part 2)
1.4k 10 43
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The hallways were tall and wide, gold embedded in the fine columns. From the windows, the buildings of the capital city can be seen, even to the horizon beyond the two protective walls surrounding the city. The walls were divided, there was an inner wall where in the center the castle was situated along with other buildings. Then there was an outer wall, with buildings between the first one.

Everything within the protective circle of the inner wall was the first part of the city, then beyond it was the expansion. With the long history of the Empire, the city inevitably grew. And thus after the second wall was built, the capital city was divided into two districts — the first protected by the inner wall, and the second district by the outer.

Standing at the center of it all was the majestic and high-reaching castle where the royal family resides.

As Alistor and Zara got closer to the throne room, they began to see painted portraits on the hallway walls, placed on each side. With each painting, there was a different art style. These were the paintings of the Emperors of the past, forever remembered in their portraits.

Alistor savored the sight with a sharp breath, feeling the pride as royalty of the great empire that had stretched far in the continent. At the edge of the hallways lies a giant set of double doors, right by it was the oldest painting of the first emperor. His younger brother, Cilas, looked up at it with slightly squinted eyes.

Cilas glanced at Alistor upon hearing his footsteps. “We need to wait for a while.” he then returned his gaze to the painting.

“I see… Why are you staring at that portrait so much?”

Alistor stood beside Cilas and looked up at the painting, trying to figure out what his brother was looking for.

“The first emperor when our nation ascended from a mere small kingdom. He was the one who led our people to greatness. His feats are a subject of adoration.”

“Yes, yes of course.”

“But I noticed something, and have been for a while.”

“What?”

“Despite his achievements, in this very portrait where his face be saved, he did not smile.”

Alistor looked at the first king’s face. He had golden hair and azure eyes. Fair skin and a beautiful face overall. And indeed, his lips were not smiling.

“Maybe he’s just a serious person?”

“Most of the former emperors smiled. I just find it strange that despite being the one with the greatest achievement, he did not express joy.”

“What? Is he supposed to be upset?”

“... I’m not sure. Perhaps he is… sad.”

Alistor shook his head. “You’re overthinking it.”

The empire was once referred to as a mere kingdom, the underdog amidst the other hostile nations. But the young king led the nation to greatness, where they began to conquer the nearby lands, expanding their reach, and enhancing their power. With the guidance of the God of Valor, they attained prosperity and grew into the new Empire. At present, now conquered half the continent.

As the first emperor who led the nation and brought it great change, there was no way that he was sad or upset. All rulers would be happy when their nation became better than before.

“I guess.”

The doors to the throne room opened with a loud thud. The royal children quickly straightened themselves up. Alistor stood in the middle, on his right side was Cilas, and on the left was Zara. Once the doors were fully opened, the three began walking inside.

On the elevated platforms on the left and right sides sat down the people of status — nobles yet serving directly to the emperor, ambassadors. They help the emperor in making decisions and often represent him on some occasions.

At the frontmost center of this wide chamber was a throne above a set of stairs. Behind it was the statue of a man in full plate armor with swords on both hands, crossing them on his chest. It depicts the God of Valor, the deity the nation worships.

Not all didn’t begin worshipping the deity before the first emperor got into power. It was said that the God of Valor himself stood beside the first emperor and guided him to the right path when he was still a young man, and a young king, around two and a half millennia ago. And now, he was all there was to worship.

On that lone throne sat a middle-aged man, clad in a luxurious formal outfit — red and gold colored coat and trousers, and leather boots. His hair was red and his eyes were in the beautiful color of azure. Beside him was a sword stand where his precious sheathed sword was kept. An emperor would never be away from his sword.

Alistor turned his gaze to his right, and with the ambassadors, sat their mother. Her hair was silky brown, pinkish eyes, and she had a fair complexion, clad in a glamorous dress. Despite being the wife of the emperor, she was not an empress as there could only be one ruler. Therefore she only had the rank of a duchess, with no power and authority matching her husband. Although, being the wife of the emperor in and of itself brought pressure on other people.

When they were close to the stairs leading up to the throne, the siblings stopped and genuflected, their heads bowed.

“We answer your summons, your imperial majesty,” Alistor spoke as their representative.

“My children, I have orders for you. The situation has shifted greatly, and you will be needed.”

Alistor took a deep breath. An order from the emperor himself. Fulfilling this would certainly bring him great merits and get him closer to the throne.

“Anything you ask, we will fulfill it.”

“Good. But first, I shall tell you your task, Zara.”

Zara subtly swallowed and suppressed her nervousness — she always would feel apprehensive whenever their father was acting this seriously and professionally.

She looked up at her father.

“There is a disturbance in the distant state of Fetreus, civil unrest. There is a concern for revolt or a formation of a rebel force. Ease their hearts and calm everything down.”

“Understood. If they do not listen?”

“Do what you must.”

“As you wish.”

“General Berial will be coming with you along with a small army. May you have safe travels in your journey.”

“Thank you, your imperial majesty.”

With that done, the emperor shifted his gaze towards Alistor and then to Cilas.

“Now with the two of you. Your task will be most important, so do not fail,” he paused for a moment as he sternly stared at the two. “Our plan of invasion rests in this plan. Myra has strengthened the security of their borders which will prove difficult to break through. However, we must focus on Wisteria, if we do, we can isolate Myra. However, our plan had unexpected setbacks…”

“The plan to assassinate the Wisterian royal family? Did it fail?”

“Unfortunately yes, we lost the noble under our control. And then suddenly, Wisteria tightened their grips to their nobles even tighter.”

“Did they realize it?”

“Perhaps. That is why we must delay our assault and coordinate with our agents in Wisteria. But before that, preparation will be needed… You, Alistor, and with you, Cilas, will be going to Wisteria.”

Alistor and Cilas fell into confusion. It was unexpected.

“D-Do you mean we’ll personally lead an army and attack Wisteria?” Cilas asked with shaky lips. As always, he was afraid of his own father.

“Not exactly. You will go there as official envoys.”

“...”

“You will be on a visit to a neighboring country, make friends with them. And perhaps, convince them to go to our side. But that is most likely not going to happen… That is why you will act yourselves. Prepare accordingly until your time comes. This is what you will do —”

Then the emperor gave his order.

***

When the door closed behind them, they were relieved of the heavy weight on their back that they had while inside the throne room.

After walking a distance away from the throne room, one started to speak first.

“That was one hell of an order… How are we supposed to do that in the center of their nation?” Cilas heaved a frustrated sigh.

“We just have to figure something out.”

“I don’t think it’s a thing we can easily figure out. We would definitely die afterward, like a pair of sacrificial lambs.”

Zara furrowed her brows. “Our father wouldn’t be that heartless to send you to your deaths.”

“I would think of the same for you, Zara. You might encounter some people that are willing to kill royalty.”

“Don’t be so pessimistic, Cilas.”

“You need to always expect the worse of things to survive. Remember that.” he shifted his gaze to Alistor. “And the worse thing I can think of for our task is our certain death as we are trapped at the core of our enemy.”

“Calm down. It’s still months away, we need only think of a safe way to escape at least.”

Cilas shook his head with annoyance. “I would have preferred to stay here, but I can’t go against Father’s orders. Whatever, I need time to think about what just happened.”

Cilas walked away while wearing a troubled expression. He never was the type to just dive into danger, so the order was hard for him to take in. One may call him somewhat of a coward, or just an overly cautious man that was always concerned for his own safety.

“Are you going to be alright, brother?”

Alistor turned towards Zara with a fondly smile. “Of course, I can handle myself. I am more concerned about you though. Father has given quite a fairly dangerous job.”

“Indeed, and I am feeling a bit nervous.”

Alistor reached out for her hand and held them tightly. He didn’t hesitate to do this as, in context, anyone who might see this would think it was just a brother comforting his sister after being given a difficult task by the Emperor.

“I’m certain you can handle this and see through the end. It’s you after all. Just, if you need help don’t hesitate to call anyone.”

Zara smiled. “Thank you, brother.”

Alistor moved his lips close to her ear and whispered. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” Zara whispered close.

After that, they went their separate ways. Zara left to speak with the general she was to be with on her journey and mission. She should be leaving in a few days, Alistor considered having more special time with her before that.

He stood by the window as a cool gentle wind touched his face. He gazed at the city before him. The houses were brightly colored with red rooftops, not all of them, but most of them. Not exactly a requirement to do but the people just did it in their pride for the nation, to show their support.

Their citizens looked very fondly to their own empire, prided themselves on its greatness. They were the greatest of all people, one full of might and prosperity. With everything the empire touches, it turns out for the better. They even support the empire’s endeavor to expand even further despite its size already.

Alistor pondered what to do for today. He was not given a specific task as all the work that involves the empire was divided among the emperor’s direct subordinates. Thus despite being a prince, he had nothing else to do.

Guess I’ll do some sparring.

He made his way to the training grounds, and the place was filled with knights in red armor doing their usual routines like sparring and training. He looked to the side and saw Cilas sitting down on a chair reading a book.

“What are you reading?” Alistor asked as he approached him.

Cilas looked up at him. “Nothing.”

“You know, knowing what we are about to do, you should train up.”

Alistor went and picked up a sword and presented the hilt to Cilas. The latter frowned.

“Now? Really?”

“Yes. Not like you have anything important to do.”

“And this is important?”

“Yes of course, it’s to improve your swordsmanship.”

Cilas was trained in swordsmanship of course, so he would give someone a good fight. But he was not exactly that great either as he didn’t take such skill seriously. That was why Alistor wanted to toughen him up more.

Cilas sighed and put down his book then received the sword. Alistor picked up another one and the two of them stood in an open area.

Cilas took his stance, it was a basic stance, so he was fine. Alistor did the same.

A moment later, they stepped forward and started clashing swords.

It was coming out fine at first, but Cilas began to struggle as he was slowly overwhelmed. Alistor was, truth be told, not taking it so seriously, as one in the same level as an elite knight in the Empire. Cilas on the other hand was fairly below him.

Alistor strengthened his strikes as he firmly held his sword with both hands. Shortly later, with a deciding strike, he made Cilas drop his sword. Cilas had a somewhat displeased expression as he clicked his tongue.

Given that the match was over, Alistor sheathed his blade with a smile.

“You’re much better than before.”

“And you’re still better than me.”

Alistor shrugged. It was then that a man they knew came and approached them, wearing a formal suit. He had dark hair and sky blue eyes, and a brown complexion.

“Your highness, I would like to speak with the two of you, privately. Please follow me.”

This man was the personal adviser of the emperor himself. Alistor grew curious as to why this person would want to have a private talk with the two of them. He and Cilas stared at each other and Alistor nodded.

“Sure, of course. Lead the way.”

The two princes followed the adviser to a private room, at the center placed a group of couches and a table.

“Shall I prepare liquor?” the adviser asked.

“No thank you.” Cilas shook his head.

“I’ll take a glass,” Alistor said as he sat down on the couch, then Cilas followed, sitting opposite him.

The adviser took a glass of champagne from a cabinet and filled a single glass before offering a filled one to Alistor.

“So, why are we here, Alred?” Alistor asked as he sipped on his wine.

Alred sat down on a chair. “You have another priority target, on the same level as the enemy’s king.”

“Hm?”

“I’m sure you are aware that there is a princess in Wisteria.”

“Ah yes, what was her name again? El — Er—”

“Estelia Vernisia Wisteria.”

“Yeah that’s right, thanks Cilas. So, Alred? What about her?”

Alred formed a friendly smile. “You are to kill her personally. Make sure she is utterly dead.”

Alistor furrowed his brows, wondering what was with the task. “Aren’t we just going for everyone anyways?”

“Yes, but she is the greatest of targets. Kill her alongside the rulers if you must, but make sure she is dead. When you do, you will be given the highest merit to obtain the throne in the future. It’s more appropriate to say that no one else will be able to catch up to you.”

Alistor held his breath as he paused drinking his wine. “Father really said that?”

“Yes.”

“Why not say it in the throne room?”

“This mission is specific and must not be heard by anyone else.”

“Why? What’s so important about her anyway?”

“You have no need to ask questions. Make sure it is done and you will have a sure way to the throne.”

Cilas didn’t seem too motivated, but it was different for Alistor. His eyes were practically shining with anticipation.

Alistor smirked. “Sure sure, I’ll see to it. I’ll take her head here if you want.”

“Good.”

43