Among Us
414 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Rebecca Morgen had never known warmth. From the moment of her birth she had been cold.

 

 Like others of her kind, the Darcians, her heart was stagnant. As a Darcian this condition would only change when she found her destined one, her Alium. And so she searched. For such a long time she had wondered the realms looking for the person who would allow her to feel. She spent decades, centuries, looking. Fruitlessly. All that time she had been stiff and numb. She began to believe she would always remain so. 

 

She was wrong. Destiny had indeed brought her to her destined male. How ironic and perhaps even cruel that the male in question had to be the son of one of her oldest friends. It was a complete surprise to meet her. A powerhouse of a family like that living in a random world like this? And Rebecca just so happen to stumble upon the place after a desperate escape from enemies? She knew it was strange. It wasn’t until she’d been invited to see the woman’s son fight in a tournament a few days later that she realized this was no coincidence at all.

 

From the moment she laid eyes on him, she knew. His mere presence gave birth to an indescribable sense of comfort and happiness. This was it. This was the feeling that had eluded her for so many years: Warmth.

 

Her heart yearned for him. It beat for him. Came alive for him. For the first time in her life she felt the need to protect. To own and be owned. From the depths of her being all she wanted was to be closer to him and feel more of that splendid heat.  

 

She always wanted to be by his side. It was this heat that alerted her to his proximity every time. But now?...She felt nothing. The man was not even ten feet away, but she was still cold.

 

This was not her male. 

 

“Ready?” The imposter asked. He was perfect. An identical copy. But a copy could never replace the original. 

 

He addressed the women at his side. There was Muriel, who intended to visit her homeworld. There was also Corianna, a young girl who had the scent of a Phoenix about her. She also seemed to notice something amiss, although Rebecca had no idea how. None of the others seemed to notice. 

 

They had gathered at the base of a great tree. Well, not a tree, but a stem. It was the physical body of the Heart of the Realm, Mary. The lover of Rebecca’s Other. One of them, at least. The Fae Queen and Muriel’s murder of the chief of the local residents was still very fresh so Mary had taken them directly to her base instead of going through the smoke-covered village.

 

Rebecca did not like it here. She always did feel the residents of this realm were a tad strange. Easily influenced, not as curious as one would normally be. Calmer. Sometimes more paranoid, even. For the most part this wasn’t very overt. But there were times it was obvious. The way she and her sister had become god-like to the desert people, for example, and then later Damien. How he so easily rallied people to his side. This was odd. Yes, her Other was a charming man and had a strange, crazed sort of magnetism. But he was also wild, dark. His nature as a Dragon something primordial and terrifying. 

 

The populace should instead either hate or fear him. Instead they easily accepted and followed him. Rebecca felt this must have something to do with the giant herb in front of her. Had she not taken measures against it due to prior experience with it’s effects she’d probably lose her mind to a sweet, hazy oblivion just like the native dwarves.

 

She’d heard rumor that realms were influenced by the type of plant their World Tree were, but she’d never given that much credit until now. Obviously it was true, for she felt it’s effect now. Mary was some sort of psychedelic plant, and this meant the world and it’s residents were being constantly hit with trace amounts of whatever chemicals Mary contained within her. Rebecca suspected the effect was much stronger in the woman’s earlier years, just after her full maturity. For the period of time after that the populace must’ve been much more heavily influenced by her. Over the course of centuries, however, the would have become adapted to the environment so the effects shown were much tamer these days. Still, it was noticeable to anyone who came from the outside that the people here were more malleable than those of other realms.

 

That aside, it was still hard. Rebecca found the influence unwelcome. She disliked not having a clear mind. 

 

“Indeed, son. Mary, you may begin. And no funny business! I know you and that husband of mine were colluding, don’t think I didn’t pay attention. If you try to pull anything I’m going to turn you into vegetable soup!” Muriel waved her fist at the woman. 

 

“I had no such intention.”

“Pfft. Right. Trying to save my son from me...the nerve of this herb.” She shook her head in disdain. 

 

“Oi, don’t you call my future wife an herb when you’re just a garden snake. At least she’s not a pest. People love weed, but they aren’t so fond of overgrown worms.”

“Worm!” Muriel spluttered. “Oooh, you brat, I didn’t punish you enough as a child! Saying such things about our glorious race….ah, father, mother, I’ve failed as a parent.”

The imposter snorted. “Yes, but not for that. You failed when you got the idea into your head to make babies with your baby. Or to have your babies make babies. Whichever sick idea you had. Oh and let’s not forget you wanted to use me as a breeding horse. So yeah. Epic fail.”

 

Amazing. He spoke exactly how Rebecca imagined the real thing would. The cloning technique of their Morgen family was indeed impressive. Why Chelsea taught the boy this family secret technique was beyond Rebecca’s understanding. Was she so enamored by him that she could give it up so easily? Strange, she was not normally so easygoing. Perhaps it was the planet affecting her added onto Damien’s natural charm. Whatever the case, it was surely a sight to behold.

 

Chelsea said nothing about the imposter. She had her reasons. Given what she knew about what the clone was sent to do it’d be best to stay silent. Who knew if there was a way for the clone to alert it’s co-conspirators? Then they’d surely leave the realm simply to avoid any potential risk. Not that an army of Angels would seriously feel threatened by only the people present, powerful as they were. 

 

Muriel, Elias, Mary and Rebecca were formidable. But to cause true fright in such a large number of Angels? Not enough. They’d be able to kill many if they went all out but they would exhaust themselves and end up beaten should a fight take place. Rebecca did not want to risk starting such a thing. She’d simply allow the imposter to go through with it’s plan, then look for her Other on her own. 

In fact, she knew this plan was reckless and perhaps foolish. Surely it’d be better to try and warn Muriel and the other’s of the imposter. Surely they could stop any message before it was sent...of course they could. 

 

But honestly? Rebecca did not want the others to know. Muriel’s plans for him disgusted her. What’s more, she wanted to rescue him herself. Maybe then he would see her. 

 

“I’ll be back soon, promise.” Not-Damien assured Mary and her daughter. He kissed them deep and thoroughly in front of them all. The beastkin woman and her succubus sister, the gagged nun, Damien’s father, mother and even his sister...they were all here to see him off. 

 

“Don’t think we’ll hold our breath for you.” Vera spoke mildly. “Just be quick about it.”

“I still think this whole thing is ridiculous.” Mary folded her arms. “You’re being much too extreme.”

“Anyone who hurts my trees must die!” The clone’s eyes blazed furiously. 

 

“I’m wasn’t even hurt by them.”

“Directly or not doesn’t matter.”

“And what about you?” The woman asked Muriel.

 

“Anyone who raped my son must die!” 

 

“I agree. It’s terrible. And don’t forget, I had to see it. But you wanted to do that yourself. You’ve little right to such righteous anger.”

 

“It’s not rape if he likes it.”

 

“I wouldn’t have, just so we’re clear. You’re literally my mother. I’m sick, but I have some standards.”

 

“...I really picked the wrong woman, didn’t I?” Elias muttered. Then, louder, “Can we not talk about my wife’s intentions to rape our son? Please? Dolly’s here, for Christ’s sake.” 

 

“Oh hush, dear. I’d have only done so after you died anyway. I’m not disloyal. As for Dolly, let her hear. No use keeping things secret at this point.”

 

The little girl was holding her head. “Um...huh? I don’t get what you guys are talking about. What do you mean, you wanted to...to do that to Day?”

The imposter rubbed his chin. “Did we ever tell you?  I forgot, actually. But anyway, we’re Dragons, Dolly. Dad’s part Angel. And mommy dearest, because she is a Dragon supremacist, wants us, you and me, to have children together to keep the lineage pure or whatever. Ah. And she wanted to have a baby with me herself, too. Not sure if she could survive another birth, but, eh, that’s neither here nor there. Point is, our family is fucked up and--”

The girl’s nose was bleeding. “B-B-Babies, between me and Day? But that means...l-lewd things, doesn’t it? Lewd things with Day…” Her cheeks gave off a red-hot blush. 

 

Elias looked as if he saw a ghost.“Fucking hell.” He cursed. “Nope. Stop. Stop right there, dammit. I am not hearing this conversation. It’s not happening.”

 

“Agreed.” Not-Damien said. 

 

“Oh fuck off! Goddamn devil, seducing your own sister like this...and when she’s so young...you’re scum! I really regret not shooting you into the wall, fuck!”

 

“Oi, don’t put this on me! What about you? You knew she had these plans since how long ago?”

 

“I…” And the two started bickering.

Someone cut in. It seemed it was the girl’s turn to blaze with bright, gleaming eyes. “Day, forget that….hurry back so we can do lewd things! I bet it’d be so fun! You have to teach me everything, okay? Okay?! Also break up with Vee and Mary. I don’t know why, but I really don’t like them anymore! I feel...a deep-seated betrayal! Agh, it’s annoying!” 

 

“How the hell did I betray you? You’re his sister.” Vera sighed. 

 

“Quiet...you traitor. I know you’re just trying to steal my Day from me and hog up all his attention. You can’t fool me. Other women are bad! Every one! Including you two! Me and mother are the only ones who truly care for Day. We don’t need temptresses like you leading him astray! Besides, what’s wrong with me being his sister anyway?”

“Temptresses?” Mary’s brow furrowed ever-so-slightly. “He’s the one who tempted me. I admit I should have resisted more, but can we please set the record straight on the matter? Also the fact you’re his siter doesn’t matter since you’re Dragons...but still. It’s weird.”

“Hmph. Lying bitch. You and those lumps of fat were always making my son’s mind wander when he was growing up. You think I didn’t notice how you teased him with your slutty body, hm?”

 

“What are you…? “ The woman sighed. “Forget it. There’s no use trying to argue with you.”

“Just saying that because you can’t deny it...what a bitch. Oh, and you don’t have a right to call it weird, missy. Not you or that twig of yours. So shut up.” 

 

“It’s not the same, not really...be quiet…” 

 

“Oh please, it’s exactly the same! You just don’t want to admit it because you’re fucking him with her now! Disgusting whore!” 

 

Sparks flew. By this time the auras of menace being output by thesebeing of extraordinary origins caused the beastkin and demonkin girl to cower. Meanwhile the nun had already passed out.

 

At Muriel’s words Not-Damien’s head whipped around. “Call her a whore one more fucking time. Dot it. Do it, bitch. I dare you. I double dare you, see if I don’t come over there and…”

Rebecca and Cory quietly slipped away while they argued, each surely with plans of their own.

9