Chapter 6- Ko The Bodyguard
736 3 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Work 
  
Ko and Rica bundled their coats on the cold morning as they strolled to Rize Turkish Tea House in New York’s east village. A neutral spot to discuss business. As the teens walked on the winter streets Rica pointed out the international restaurants on the block, to include a Korean barbecue place. Nice. 
  
Ko did admire the shi-shi neighborhood, but something was amiss. One block behind them, he spotted a dark SUV carrying two passengers. He noticed the same vehicle earlier in the morning, when Rica and him were in midtown. 
  
“That place serves good food, I think,” said Rica pointing at the restaurant Ko observed. 
  
“You think it’s good or do you know it?” he asked. 
  
“Well, it tasted great when I went there. But I doubt I know Korean food like you do, hmph!” she pouted. 
  
Ko grinned but kept his eyes forward. “Rica?” 
  
“Yes?” 
  
“About a block back. A dark SUV. A black guy with a hat driving. White guy in the passenger seat. Have you seen it?” 
  
She turned to Ko with a sly smile. “No, should I have?” 
  
“They’re following us.” 
  
“Hmm,” she looked behind her with a squint. “Well aren’t you a hawkeye. Spotting irregularities around us and what not.” 
  
“I suppose.” Ko slowed down, “So what do you want me to do about them?” 
  
“Hee!” Rica chuckled. “Nothing, don’t worry about those two.” 
  
“Hm?” Ko squinted, “So those men in that SUV pose no threat?” 
  
“Oh those men absolutely pose a threat.” She glanced at him with an evil face, “But not to me.” 
  
“Hmm.” He faced forward continuing his pace. “I see.” 
  
Rica offered no more words about the SUV, and continued to discuss the neighborhood. Ko kept his cool. He may not be used to her style yet, but he understood her methods. For Rica became a crime boss through fate, but first and foremost she was a mechanic. And mechanics keep secrets, and tell honest lies. 
  
Black Tea 
  
The teens entered the Rize tea shop on second ave and were quickly met by the Turkish owner. A heavy set dark haired man wearing an apron. 
  
“Good morning,” he greeted, then asked deliberately, “Are you two here for-” 
  
“Business,” Rica answered, smiling. 
  
“Of course,” said the man as he locked the front door behind them. “I’ll prepare some filiz cayi for the young lady, and please have a seat wherever you like!” 
  
“Thank you,” Ko replied. 
  
The man smiled and hustled to the back. Ko took the time to inspect the place out for anything out of the ordinary. He checked both bathrooms and the area where the owner prepared the tea. The shop appeared empty except for the three of them. 
  
During his check he admired the eastern decor of the cafe. Filled with sophisticated calligraphy and artwork from the time of the Ottoman empire. A time when the Turks ruled most of the middle east. 
  
“A beautiful ambience, yes?” Rica asked Ko as he emerged from the back. 
  
“It’s lovely. But we’re the only ones here.” 
  
“This place is only open to us right now,” she said sitting herself down at a round wooden table with her back to the wall. 
  
“Hmm,” Ko stood gazing out of the window. “What is filiz cayi?” he asked. 
  
“Heh heh. It’s black tea.” 
  
“Oh, great.” He smiled. 
  
Rica chuckled at him, but at that moment three large men appeared at the shop’s front entrance and rang the buzzer. Ko watched the men from the inside as they glared at him from the sidewalk. 
  
“It appears the Turks are here to talk,” said Ko. 
  
“So they are,” said Rica. 
  
The shop owner hustled out from the rear to answer the buzzing door. Ko stood in front of Rica’s table observing the scene. As soon as the owner unlatched the door, the leader of the three men stepped in and spoke to the shop keeper in Turkish. The men conversed hurriedly with each pointing in Ko and Rica’s direction. Until the owner invited the men in, locking the door behind them. 
  
“Good morning!” said Rica to the leader of the three Turks who walked in. “Your name is Serhat? Right? Please have a seat. I’m here to listen.” 
  
The leader of the three men’s eyes widened when Rica spoke. The men muttered amongst themselves before the leader scowled and answered Rica back. 
  
“Who the hell are you?” He asked her, “And why do you know my name?” 
  
Rica smiled, pure evil. “You know, if a person I didn’t know called me by my name I’d be just as suspicious. But more importantly, in this line of business I'd conclude that person may know something I don’t. Wouldn’t you agree? Serhat? That is your name, right?” 
  
The three Turks slowly advanced to Rica’s table. The leader, Serhat, kept his eye on Rica. The other two watched Ko. When Serhat reached the table he placed his palms on the surface and locked eyes with Rica in a hostile stare down. 
  
“You know little girl. You being here is undeniable proof that Tara and Kitty are not taking us Turks very seriously at all-” 
  
“No, no! You’re mistaken, Serhat!” Rica cut him off. “You see, the fact that me and this guy are here,” she pointed at Ko standing beside her, “means the sisters have truly considered the Turk’s position.” 
  
Serhat opened his mouth to answer, but at that moment the shopkeeper stepped out from the back. With a tea tray in his hand, he bent over the table to serve Rica. Smiling, he carefully placed her condiments on the side of her saucer. 
  
“Thank you, it smells wonderful!” Rica said with glee. 
  
“It’s the best in Turkey!” said the owner. “Enjoy!” 
  
But Serhat barked in Turkish at the man, who flinched in fear before excusing himself from the room. 
  
Rica frowned at the big Turk. “Well you’re certainly rude, Serhat. I don’t think I want you having tea with me this morning after all, hmph!” she turned away sipping from the cup. 
  
“What?” Serhat slammed the table with his palm, shaking Rica’s dishes in front of her. “You disrespectful little bitch, I should take you in the back-” 
  
“And do what? Make me a better cup of tea? I highly doubt you’re capable.” 
  
“Heh heh!” Ko snickered at Rica’s diss, he couldn’t help it. 
  
But the big man Serhat snarled at Ko, as obviously the teens got under his skin. He then glared at Rica. “Listen to me you cunt. We tried to make a generous offer to Tara and Kitty and we presumed respect from her-” 
  
“Generous offer?” Rica cut him off again. “Leave the docks or we’ll kill you is not a generous offer, Serhat. Jeez, what opium are you smoking you delusional liar?” 
  
She rolled her eyes at Serhat and the big Turk lost his cool, “You fahise bitch!” in a fury he swung across the table attempting to grab her throat. But Rica never moved, nor flinched. For Serhat’s fist stopped moving six inches from her face, as Ko snatched his wrist mid punch and yanked the big man’s momentum to his left. 
  
“Wha!” Serhat yelped as Ko hip tossed him with a flawless Hapkido take down. The giant man crashed to the tea shop floor with a loud snap of his shoulder. “Aaaaaaah!” Serhat screamed from the ground, writhing while clutching his injured arm. 
  
But as Ko released Serhat, the other two Turks swung at the teenage bodyguard. Ko answered by dodging their blows and roundhouse kicking the second attacker in the face, and into the third Turk. 
  
“Aah!” The second Turk yelled as Ko, in two moves, kicked him in his balls, while snatching the man’s gun from his waist. The second Turk fell back against the third Turk before hitting the floor. 
  
The third Turk managed to pull his own gun as he stumbled. But when he found his footing, Ko struck him and cracked his nose with the second Turk’s gun. 
  
“Grraah!” The third man screamed. 
  
Ko proceeded to pistol whip the third man, who collapsed and dropped his gun. When the weapon fell Ko recovered it, and pointed both of the Turks’ guns on all three of the men on the ground.   
  
Ko backed up toward Rica with a pistol aimed at Serhat’s head as the leader lay on the floor holding his injured shoulder. “Serhat, Right? If your men move again,” Ko cocked both of the guns’ hammers with his thumbs, Click! Clack! “I’ll kill all of you.” 
  
“Ah..” Serhat shut his mouth as he stared down the barrel of the stolen gun. The entire shop went quiet. Until Rica broke the silence. 
  
“Hm hm hm hm!” she cackled as she stood up in her pretty leather skirt, knee high suede boots, and styled bangs. Unscathed, she walked next to Ko and spoke to the men beneath her. 
  
“Serhat. The only reason I arrived today was to see if you Turks changed your position about taking the docks from the Hans. And by proxy, from Boss Tara and Kitty, since we provide protection for the docks, well these days anyway.” Rica turned away and strutted to the back of the shop. She pulled a wad of cash out of her purse, handing it to the shop owner. “Sorry about all the trouble. This should cover the damage. And the tea was delicious. Thank you.” 
  
The trembling owner nodded and accepted the cash while gaping at the scene in his shop. But he gave no complaints. Rica spun back to the Turks on the ground, with Ko still pointing two guns at them. 
  
“Serhat, I have nothing more to say to you personally,” said Rica, “However, when you report to your dickless boss, Ahmed. You make sure you tell him exactly what happened to you today. You know, the part about the cunt little girl who’s bodyguard broke your shoulder. Yeah, tell him that story.” 
  
Serhat scowled at Rica from the floor, “You stupid-” 
  
But before he could utter another word Ko bashed his temple with the pistol. “You shut your damn mouth!” he growled as the strike bloodied the big Turk’s head.  
  
Rica smiled next to her bodyguard Ko as she glared down at the Turks. “As I was saying. If Ahmed is willing to sacrifice all of you for his lost cause of taking the docks from us. Then tell him we will gladly kill every single one of you fucks, and him, thus ending his quixotic dream.” 
  
After that she minced no more words with the three Turks. “Come on, Brute! Let’s go. These guys aren’t going to ruin my morning, nya,” Rica said to Ko as she walked toward the exit. 
  
Ko smirked and followed behind her, still pointing the Turk’s own guns at them. As he reached the exit, he quickly glanced at the two pistols he took from them. One, a grey SIG nine millimeter, the second, a black Taurus forty-five.  
  
“I’m keeping these guns,” he muttered to Rica as they stepped outside. 
  
“Do whatever you want,” she chuckled, “I mean those two certainly won’t need them again, I assure you, hee!” 
  
As Rica spoke her and Ko walked out of and away from the tea shop. But when Ko looked down the block, he spotted the black SUV with the two men who followed him and Rica earlier. They were less hidden this time, more obvious. But Ko dismissed them and glanced at Rica while placing both of his new firearms in his coat pockets. Rica seemed oblivious to the SUV. But Ko knew better, and didn’t bring it up again. For Ko understood that mechanics keep secrets… 
  
  
And she’d only lie to him…. 
  
  
  
 ...

16