Chapter 14- Rica’s Step-Dad, Dan!
594 10 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Pick Me Up 
  
After meeting with Gun Kae, Ko drove his new American truck to a car wash before heading to Rica’s school. He arrived before three pm and parked directly in front of the building entrance so every St. Mary’s student could see him driving the new, freshly waxed, vehicle. The way Rica wanted it. 
  
A moment later the school bell rang and students filed out of the front. Ko stepped out of the truck and waited by the passenger door. It didn’t take long for Rica, and her entourage of hot girls, to exit the building. And they all spotted Ko, immediately. He smiled. 
  
“Eeeeh? Rica? That cute boy Ko drives a truck?” cried the girls with jealous undertones. “How nice for him, and you!” 
  
Rica grinned, “I wouldn’t know, ladies. I guess having a nice ride is important to him,” she said, feigning ignorance of how Ko acquired the vehicle. 
  
Heh heh, what an actress. 
  
Ko greeted all the girls who spoke to him as he waited for Rica to finish gabbing. Before long the crowd of St. Mary’s students departed, and Rica and three of her friends walked toward Ko and the truck. 
  
“Hello, Rica.” He opened the passenger door for her with a bow. 
  
“Hi, Ko. You remember my girls, Nicky, Sammy, and Donna?” Rica asked as she hopped in the truck. 
  
“Yes, hello again everyone,” Ko replied as the three, beauties, stepped into the rear of the vehicle. But one of the girls had a different greeting. 
  
“Annyeonghaseyo,” Hello in Korean, said Donna, gazing in Ko’s eyes with a smile before sitting in the back. 
  
“Anyong,” he replied, closing the door behind her. 
  
Just Curious 
  
As Ko pulled off the block Rica told him to head downtown to twenty third street to drop her friends off. 
  
“So what are you guys doing today?” he asked the ladies. 
  
“Trying to get jobs at one of those cutesy boutiques downtown, heh heh!” Nicky laughed. 
  
“Yeah, we ain’t like Rica who can do whatever she wants,” We have to have reasons to stay out of our house, “Like a part time job, heh!” Sammy added. 
  
“Yeah, my parents are so strict. I have to make excuses to go everywhere, and I’ve been sixteen since June!” Donna lamented, then all the girls protested. “Parents treat us like little kids, but we’re grown women!” 
  
“Heh heh!” he chuckled at their melodrama. 
  
“What are you laughing at?” Rica pinched him. 
  
“Ow! I’m laughing at them and you,” said Ko. 
  
But Nicky squinted at the couple, “Hey Rica? How’d you and Ko meet?” she asked. 
  
“Hmm?” Rica replied with her finger on her cheek. “I met him five years ago at the Casino Monte Carlo, in Monaco.” 
  
The truck went silent. 
  
“Oh,” said Nicky, “Umm, so is Monaco like a state?” 
  
“Haha!” Rica laughed while Ko frowned at Nicky’s lack of geography knowledge. 
  
But Donna answered the question, “Monaco is a sovereign city state on the French Riviera. Another country,” she said. “Was it an exciting vacation?” 
  
“It wasn’t boring,” said Rica grinning at Ko. “But we did ride motor scooters and everything, didn’t we?” 
  
“Yes,” Ko glanced at the girls in the back, “And yelled bonjour to people as we raced by them.” 
  
“Haha!” Nicky and Donna laughed. 
  
“Eeeeh?” cried Samantha, “So that means you guys had a moment on the French Riviera? How romantic.” 
  
“Romantic nothing, he stole a kiss from me, that bad boy. I was only eleven years old!” said Rica, bragging to the girls in the back. 
  
“Right,” Ko smirked at the memory, “But if I recall you tried to kill me in Monaco,” he responded, with his eyes on the road. 
  
“What?” yelped the girls in the back, while gaping at Rica for an answer. “Rica, what’s he talking about? D-Did you guys get kinky in that country?” Sammy asked. 
  
“Heh, don’t listen to him girls.” Rica wore a sly smile, “I may have tried to kill him, but I didn’t want him dead, yet. Because I knew he’d turn up in this city sooner or later, looking for me.” 
  
“Eh? Oh stop Rica, you’re so cocky! Hmph!” Nicky said with a pout. 
  
“Am I?” Rica asked, shocked. 
  
“You have your moments,” Ko deadpanned. 
  
“Hahah!” The girls laughed in the back at Ko’s timed response. 
  
Rica couldn’t help but chuckle with them. But she gave Ko an evil look. “You smartass!” she said, pinching his belly. 
  
“Ow!” he winced. 
  
“Hmph. Heel boy!” 
  
“Heh, heh.” 
  
After a short drive through city traffic, Ko reached twenty-third street and seventh ave, the Chelsea district. He double parked the truck to let the girls out. 
  
“Bye Rica, bye Ko. Ya’ll two don’t do nothing I would do!” said Nicky climbing out of the vehicle. 
  
“Don’t worry, we won’t. And good luck with your job hunts!” Rica replied. 
  
As she spoke, Donna climbed out the other side, and stumbled “Oh!” she cried. But Ko caught her hand, stopping her fall. 
  
“Don’t hurt yourself,” he consoled. 
  
“Im such a clutz,” she replied red faced, before straightening herself out and bowing to Rica. “Bye Rica, thanks for the ride!” 
  
“Not a problem, I’ll see you tomorrow,” said Rica. 
  
Donna glanced back one last time, “Bye Ko!” she smiled and waved. 
  
“Later,” he grunted. All cool. But when he glanced at Rica, she was staring at him, with squinted eyes. 
  
“Don’t hurt yourself,” she teased. 
  
He smirked, “I’m very careful.” 
  
“Is that what you think? Oh, Im such a clutz, bye Ko!” she ragged him before sitting down in the passenger seat. 
  
“Heh heh,” Ko laughed. 
  
He enjoyed pushing Rica’s buttons. It kept her grounded. But when he buckled his seatbelt, Rica lifted his chin with her finger, and gently bit his nose. 
  
“Ow! Do I deserve this?” he asked. 
  
“Yes!” She bit his cheek. 
  
“Ow, why?” 
  
“If you have to ask!” She bit his lip. 
  
“Ow,” But Rica didn’t pull back fast enough and, Ko stole a kiss. 
  
“Nya!” she pouted with a smile, “You thief!” 
  
“Heh,” he chuckled, “You made me one. Now where are we driving to, boss? 
  
“Hmph! Let’s go to Dan’s place,” she answered, “See my mom and pick up the baby.” 
  
“A good plan,” said Ko as he pulled into traffic, heading for Dan’s spot. 
  
Ten Minutes Later 
  
When Ko and Rica stepped off the elevator to Dan’s apartment, his door swung open and he stepped out smiling. 
  
“Hi Rica, Hi Ko!” Dan greeted. 
  
“Hey Dan!” Rica kissed him on the cheek. 
  
“How are you sir?” Ko shook his hand, finally getting to meet Dan, and quickly sized him up. A handsome fellow, Reyna’s age, appears sort of Asian. Nice build, firm handshake. 
  
“I’m fine, it’s a pleasure to meet you, Ko. These ladies speak highly of you,” said Dan. 
  
“No I don’t!” Rica pouted, “Is my mom here?” 
  
“She went to the gro-” 
  
“Ko!” shouted Kayla running to the door. 
  
Ko lit up when he saw her, “Hello, little one. Are you being good?” 
  
“Yes, me and Dan are playing a Korean math game!” she cried, hugging Ko. 
  
“Eh?” Ko double took at her, “Really?” 
  
“Come on I’ll show you!” said Kayla, pulling his hand. 
  
Ko stepped further into Dan’s spacious modern apartment. Three big bedrooms, two separate bathrooms. 
  
“That’s my bathroom!” said Kayla, pointing at the toys in the tub. 
  
“I see.” 
  
During Kayla’s tour Ko humbled himself. For Dan truly made space for her. She had her own room and he’d purchased Korean language software for math and Hangul writing. 
  
“This is an interesting game,” said Ko reading the Hangul and math problems on the computer screen. 
  
“Yeah, man,” Dan said to Ko. “I understand you’re trying to keep Kayla’s Korean language. My mom is Cantonese, and I can barely speak a lick of it so, you know!” He smiled. 
  
“I appreciate that,” Ko responded warmly. “Rica told me you’re a math teacher?” 
  
“Well I used to be. Now, I run a math tutoring non-profit. But I’m afraid the management part keeps me busy, so I don’t get as much teaching time as I should, heh!” said Dan. 
  
Ko smiled ear to ear, this guy Dan was kinda cool. And as they spoke Kayla ran around the apartment as if she’d lived in it all her life. She even tried to ride her bike in the living room. 
  
Dan frowned, “Hey Kayla, I don’t think Reyna’s going to approve-” 
  
“I know, I just want to show Ko- eh?” 
  
At that moment Reyna walked in the apartment with bags of groceries and shot a narrow glare at Kayla. 
  
“Excuse me little girl ♪ are you riding your bike in the house?” Reyna sang, but scolded at the same time. 
  
“Oh no!” 
  
Kayla jumped off the bike and tried to run, but Rica captured and carried her to Reyna. 
  
“Where you running to? Hmm?” Kiss Kiss. 
  
“Nyooo!” Kayla cried as Reyna and Rica loved her and chided her. 
  
Ko didn’t know what to think of this most perfect place for Kayla. These people, Rica, Reyna, Dan, they weren’t Kayla’s family. They weren’t Korean, yet the love they displayed. Not just for Kayla, but for each other too. 
  
“Danny ♪” Reyna sang from kitchen. 
  
“Yes, babydoll?” Dan answered from the living room. 
  
“Are you going to make beef ♪ or chicken in your sauce?” 
  
“Which would you prefer?” 
  
“I don’t know ♪” 
  
“Then chicken it is, baby.” 
  
“Ok!” 
  
Ko’s mouth dropped at what he witnessed. This woman, Reyna Rai, the most ruthless, most villainous cold blooded killer in the mechanic world, turned into a housewife by a math teacher. Ko gaped at Dan. The man had a glow about him while he laughed with Rica, and played with Kayla. 
  
It’s like he’s this handsome and smart Dad-type. No wonder Kayla likes staying here. I’m so jealous! 
  
Suddenly, “Come on little girl, let’s pick up your toys and put this bike away,” Rica gently admonished Kayla as they walked the bike to her bedroom. Leaving Ko and Dan alone. 
  
Ko turned and stared at Dan with admiration. “Hey, Mr. Dan?” 
  
“What’s up bro, you good?” 
  
“Yeah. I was just curious as to how you, met Reyna?” 
  
“Heh,” Dan chuckled, “Well that’s a random question. But I tell you what, someone could write a whole book on How I Met Reyna and Rica, but uh-” He reached in a cabinet and pulled out a small bottle of Soju, a Korean alcohol. “No one would ever read that story. So anyway, would you care for a shot before dinner?” Dan displayed the bottle. 
  
“Really?” Ko wasn’t a drinker at all but in this city it was hard to get anything because of his age. And the bottle Dan held was the good stuff from Korea. “I’d love a shot, Mr. Dan. Thank you!” 
  
“Heh, call me, Dan!” 
  
“Of course!” 
  
After the two men threw back a shot they spent the next hour talking about manly things, like Soccer. 
  
“Barcelona’s overrated!” cried Ko. 
  
“Ha! Spoken like a true Madrid fan!” Dan fired back. 
  
They quickly bonded. And as the warm soju livened Ko’s mood, he developed an instant man-crush on Dan. 
  
Wow, Rica’s step-dad is awesome! 
  
“I know you’re underage and driving Ko, so before I put this bottle away do you want one more shot?” 
  
“Yes, please!” 
  
So awesome! 
_______
  
AUTHORS NOTE:  Ko and Rica first met in a three chapter action packed short story titled : Rifle Girls in MonacoAnd no friends, you do not have to read it ^_^ but I will warn you I will be using references from that story in future chapters of this current story. So if you're interested in catching those references do give it a read. it's a fun little story and you will be able to get the jokes that Ko and Rica said in this chapter and future chapters ;) 

-JayDirex

Rifle Girls in Monaco

10