Chapter 104
1k 5 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Author's Note: Well, September starts in a few days so I will be slowing down to 2 chapters per week (Monday and Friday). Hopefully I can re-adapt to schooling in person and we can go back to 3 chapters per week in October. Anyways, I know most people don't like tournament arcs because it usually just has too many pointless battles. I know that, so there won't be too many battles and there'll be stuff mixed in between. Ah, this isn't really the tournament part and instead, it'll be the last arc of the volume.

Hope you enjoy the chapter :3


“Ha!” Sun Hong ran at him waving her large sword. No longer passively standing in one spot, Sun Hong started helping Qian Yu with his training.

“Transcending Lightning Step… Transcending Lightning Step…” Qian Yu continued honing his new martial skill, increasing his mastery as he performed it thousands of times every day. Slowly the distance he traveled increased. 

*Clang… clang… clang…* Of course, he didn’t have unlimited qi and martial arts training was important as well. 

“Phew… I need a break…” It was snowing but Qian Yu was shirtless as his whole body was drenched in sweat. 

“Nope, it’s only been 6 hours. Here I come!” Sun Hong was relentless in her training, not giving a second of rest to Qian Yu. 

“Alright,” Qian Yu mustered all his energy and held up his spear.

The days passed as the tournament was nearing. Other than eating and sleeping, Qian Yu spent the rest of his time training. 

Before long, the day of the tournament arrived. 

It was early in the morning when Qian Yu and Zhao Xieren arrived at a large stadium located in the outer court. It was the first time Qian Yu had been here. 9 gray stone square platforms in a 3 by 3 formation were centered inside, each one about 100 feet wide and long. 

As for the stadium itself, there were thousands of seats available, and many were filled up already. Thousands of disciples, mostly qi gathering ones, had woken up early and gotten the best seats available for the tournament. Qian Yu had hoped to find Wu Jing, Chen Ya, or even Gu Zan but there were too many disciples here already.

“Good luck!” Zhao Xieren whispered as she proceeded to move towards the spectator area. 

*Shuffle* Slowly, more and more disciples poured into the arena and separated into their respective groups. Looking around, Qian Yu saw there were about 100 other disciples in his own area.

At that time, a voice shouted, “Disciples, calm down!” His voice reverberated through the arena cutting down the noise. Qian Yu glanced at the source. He looked to be a very old man with long white hair and wrinkles on his face. Looking at his robes, he had extra accessories such as a stole on his robes or some medals on his cincture, something Qian Yu hadn’t seen on outer or inner court elders.

“Welcome, disciples. I am Grand Elder Wang. Today marks the first day of our Ice Sect Qualifiers Tournament. The rules are simple. You will be fighting in numerous 1-on-1 battles today. Courts 1 to 3 for those in the early stage. 4 to 6 for those in the middle and 7 to 9 for the late stage,” Grand Elder Wang started pointing to the stone platforms.

“It is considered your defeat if you fall unconscious or leave the battle platform. After two defeats, you will be eliminated and this will continue on until there are only 8 of you in each of the three groups. These 8 will be selected to enter the Southern Ice Tournament in one month,” he continued.

“Alright, we will begin now. Court 1, Zhan Zan and Su Ye!” an Elder shouted from one of the stone platforms after Grand Elder Wang finished. 

“Let’s go!” “Go go!” The audience cheered as the first match was starting. The other courts soon followed as they called for disciples to come up. 

“Court, 3, Qian Yu and Ren Yi!” A shout rang out.

‘Let’s do this!’ Qian Yu took a deep breath and calmed himself down. 

Heading towards the court, Qian Yu walked onto the stone platform. In the middle of the arena, an Elder was responsible for overseeing the match. Meanwhile, his opponent was already waiting on the other side of the stone platform. 

‘Ren Yi… if I recall correctly, this guy has done well in that last tournament I think?’ Qian Yu felt this name was familiar. There were a few small tournaments that were held by the inner court disciples themselves every few weeks or month. Qian Yu had heard a few rumors about this person. Despite that though, Qian Yu’s heart started racing as he anticipated this guy’s strength. 

“My name is Qian Yu, best of luck to you,” Qian Yu cupped his hands and gave a short bow. 

“Ren Yi, likewise,” His opponent bowed in a similar etiquette.

“Begin,” the Elder said as he saw the two had finished their formal greetings. 

Ren Yi didn’t dally and ran towards Qian Yu with his sword. Spears of ice formed and shot at Qian Yu. It was something Qian Yu had long been used to but unlike normal where there were only a few spears, there were at least a dozen this time. 

‘12?’ Qian Yu was surprised by the amount of spears that were formed. 

*Woosh!* The spears flew at him from across the stone battlefield. 

Transcending Lightning Step! With 12 of them coming at him from different angles, Qian Yu knew he couldn’t dodge them normally.

*Bam!* They crashed into the ground completely missing Qian Yu, who started running at Ren Yi. Without wasting a single second, Qian Yu made sure Ren Yi wouldn’t be able to perform another Spears of Ice. 

*Clank* Qian Yu swiped his spear at Ren Yi who blocked it with his sword. Not letting his aggression fall off, Qian Yu continued assaulting Ren Yi with his spear. 

*Slash* *Bam* Pleasantly, though, Qian Yu found an opening almost instantly. With a slash to the abdomen, Qian Yu sent a kick with Lightning Spasm at the guy, sending him flying a few feet back. 

“Arghh!” He yelled in pain as he got back up clutching the small wound on his stomach. Yet as he tried to get back up, a spear was pointed at him.

“I surrender!” Ren Yi snickered and yelled out. 

“Winner - Qian Yu!” the Elder shouted as an applause and cheer followed after.

Hearing that, Qian Yu removed his spear and extended his arm, “Good fight.” 

“Thank you,” Ren Yi said as he grabbed Qian Yu’s hand. 

Qian Yu helped pull him up before stepping back. “Thank you for your guidance,” Qian Yu cupped his hands and gave another small bow.

“Thank you for your guidance,” Ren Yi awkwardly did his best to bow as well with his injured abdomen as he left the stage. 

Qian Yu looked at Ren Yi who was leaving. His eyes were filled with respect for the strong. The fight was short, about a minute or two, but it didn’t mean he was weak. 

Qian Yu had previously seen the other disciples even at the middle or late stage of soul foundation fight but they had only summoned 8 ice spears at most. He was exceptionally talented and his mastery over the technique was undoubtedly high. On the other hand, his martial arts was his biggest weakness. Unpolished gems were everywhere.

2 hours passed and Qian Yu fought again. His opponent was weaker than Ren Yi and Qian Yu ended up eliminating him from the tournament.

Another 2 hours passed and Qian Yu eliminated a second disciple. 

By the time it was approaching dusk, Qian Yu was called again. 

“Court 3, Qian Yu and Lang Mei,” an Elder shouted. 

‘Lang Mei? She sounds familiar,’ Qian Yu thought as he walked towards the stage.

His opponent had similarly just reached the stage. As he stared at the girl from afar, he remembered who she was.

‘Turns out it’s this girl!’ Qian Yu laughed inwardly as he finally remembered. It was none other than the girl that had qualms with Zhao Xieren. However, it looked like she had stopped bothering Zhao Xieren. 

“Qian Yu, best of luck to you,” Qian Yu politely greeted her.

“Hmph, Lang Mei,” she replied. 

Qian Yu snickered seeing her cocky attitude as he ran at her. 

“Crescent Saber Slash!” Lang Mei yelled and unshealth her saber. A large silver crescent of qi shot quickly at Qian Yu. 

*Bam* Qian Yu blocked it with his spear as he was sent flying back. Looking at his arms, there were a few cuts. 

‘I underestimated the damage,’ Qian Yu thought as he saw Lang Mei run at him. 

Getting up, another arch of light flew at Qian Yu. 

*Fwoosh* Yet Qian Yu dodged it with Transcending Lightning Step.

‘How can I deal with it,’ Qian Yu bit his lips. ‘I don’t want to use Lightning Spasm to negate it,’ Qian Yu started thinking of a plan. Currently, he should only be able to use 2 martial techniques. Not only would the negating effect of Lightning Spasm make it look like a 3rd martial technique, but it was also a very rare yet strong technique. Together, it brought too much attention.

*Fwoosh* Qian Yu dodged another of Lang Mei’s attacks as he slowly inched forward.

Finally being able to close the gap, Qian Yu swung forward.

Lang Mei dodged, her saber danced as she waved it at Qian Yu. 

*Clang* Qian Yu repelled it as he stepped back.

His qi erupted as he directed his spear at her. 

“I got you now!” Like an arrow, Qian Yu shot forward as he activated Transcending Lightning Step. 

“Crescent Step!” Lang Mei yelled out just as Qian Yu was about to hit her. She disappeared into a curve of light behind Qian Yu. 

However, as she turned around, she saw Qian Yu had already turned around, charging at her once again. 

“Hiyah!” Yet only a second had passed as Qian Yu performed another Transcending Lightning Step. 

“What!” She yelled out, unprepared by Qian Yu’s sudden attack. 

*Puat!* Qian Yu’s spear pierced her shoulder, splattering blood everywhere.

“Damn it,” Lang Mei spat out blood as she retreated. Qian Yu had only pierced her shoulder for a short duration but nonetheless, a small bloody hole had appeared.

She held her shoulder and glared at him for a few seconds before she cursed, “Fuck, I give up.” 

“Winner - Qian Yu, Lang Mei has been eliminated!” the Elder shouted.

‘Truly, the two uses of Transcending Lightning Step in a couple of seconds is really strong… many don’t seem to expect,’ Qian Yu thought. 

At the same time, a smile appeared on his face as he watched her leave the court, feeling like he had gotten some type of small revenge back on her for Zhao Xieren’s sake.

22