Chapter 4: Unison
83 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the capital city of Ireleth, inside the castle that was under reconstruction, the king thought it a good idea to host a small banquet in honour of the artisans working day and night for the city's recovery. Although it was still a long ways to go, most of the castle and city had already been fixed, so they deemed it the right time to celebrate.

Amidst the joyous occasion however, one man quietly stood near the window, gazing upon the beautiful night sky with a sad look on his face.

Although he was promoted to the status of the Crown Prince and was finally engaged to the woman he loved, Siegfried couldn't find it in himself to enjoy the festivities. After all, it was at the cost of losing his half brother whom he loved and respected very much.

Siegfried cursed his brother's misfortune of being chosen by the cursed beast as it's master and wanted to help him, but unfortunately, the beast's corruption was quick and decisive. Before Siegfried knew it, Loic was already acting irrational and hurting the people around him, even his own fiancé Liliana, whom of which would end up becoming Siegfried's fiancé as a form of renumeration.

Initially holding no feelings for one another, Liliana and Siegfried slowly started getting closer and eventually fell in love. This was the final straw however, as Loic did the unthinkable. He unleashed the beast of Calamity's fury on the capital and destroyed everything, forcing Siegfried and Lilian's hand.

With a heavy heart they dueled his brother and after an intense battle with numerous casualties, ultimately defeated and killed him, or so they thought. The body was never found after all.

"Sieg"

The voice of a woman calling out to him suddenly pulled him from his thoughts. Turning around, he saw the figure of a beautiful young lady with a well proportioned body. Her silky lilac coloured hair that was tied into a braid swayed back and forth as she walked towards Siegfried.

"The people are having fun, and yet you're here sulking on your own. Is something the matter?" She asked.

Although her tone seemed cold and disinterested, Siegfried knew that Liliana did in fact worry for him, she just has a hard time expressing her emotions, a fact that Loic didn't realize.

Slightly brushing his silver hair to the side, Siegfried turned around and faced his fiancé.

"Apologies, Liliana. I seem to have spaced out."

"Is that so? Well.. why don't you come with me to meet the others?"

Knowing that the beautiful young lady in front of him has a strong will and will not take no for an answer, Siegfried smiled wryly as he took her hand.

"I guess socializing for a bit might---"

"?!!"

Just as he was doing so, a sudden burst of ominous and malicious energy erupted at the distance, capturing everyone's attention.

A strong earthquake that shook the entire castle violently quickly followed suit.

As the people panicked, Siegfried quickly led  Liliana away from windows and shielded her.

"Take cover, Liliana! Guards! Protect the King!" He bellowed.

Following the Prince's orders, the royal guards swiftly arrived at the King's side to shield him as everyone else braced themselves. The sound of glass shattering and people panicking filled the entire room, a familiar sight in the eyes of Siegfried.

"Wha-what's happening?" Asked Liliana in a worry.

This earthquake was unprecedented.

Siegfried clenched his fists and grit his teeth, he knew exactly what was causing this phenomenon, how could he not know having faced it once already.

"There's no doubt about it." He declared.

"It's the Beast of Calamity. My brother Loic! He's still alive!"

A cold shiver went down everyone's spine at the Prince's remark. The wrath and devastation caused by the former Prince was still fresh in the minds of everyone here, so learning that he's still alive and has once again unleashed the Beast of Calamity's fury onto the lands.

"Impossible!" Exclaimed Liliana. "We defeated your brother, the Beast of Calamity's aura vanished!"

"No other Spirit Beast is capable of unleashing power of this magnitude, only the Black Beast. I'm sure it's Loic."

After the earthquake subsided, Siegfried and Liliana slowly stood up and walked towards the balcony. Just across the horizon in the south, they could clearly see the jet-black mist emanating a very dangerous aura.

Cold sweat dribbled from Siegfried's forehead at the sight before him. It's the same aura he once faced before, but this time it felt far more powerful; far more hateful, more sinister, unlike anything he's ever experienced.

The Black Beast of Calamity grew even stronger.

"Assemble all the contracted Knights we have and send them in that direction! I'll go ahead and ascertain the situation. " He swiftly ordered the royal guards. "Liliana you stay here, it might be too dangerous."

"No!" The normally stoic and cold Liliana exclaimed as she grabbed Siegfried's arm.

"We had to work together the last time we fought the Beast of Calamity, if what you're saying true, then you need me now more than ever!" She cried out.

Caressing his fiancé flushed cheeks, Siegfried looked her straight in the eyes and gave her a passionate kiss.

"That's precisely why I can't bring you as a vanguard." He said as their lips separated. "I want you to assemble the contracted Knights and reinforce me once your done. I'll hold off my brother in the meantime."

"But!--"

Before Liliana could finish her words however, Loic's former and Siegfried's current Adjutant cut her off.

"My lady, listen to his Highness Siegfried." The man remarked. "My prince, you should go ahead, I'll take care of the reinforcements."

"Thank you, Gideon. I promise to bring back my brother." Siegfried said as he extended his hand and summoned his Spirit Beast.

"I call upon thee O' Great Dragon, lend thy strength and lightning to me so I may shatter my enemies." He chanted as a silver magic circle appeared on the ground. "Bhast!"

Suddenly, A huge, beautiful, silver-scaled dragon appeared from the magic circle. It flew and circled the sky before coming down and offering it's back to Siegfried.

"I'm going now, Liliana, Gideon. I'm counting on you!"

"Be careful, Siegfried! We'll come join you as soon as we can!"

"Let's go! You people get the king to safety! Assemble all the contracted Knights we have!"

Liliana and Gideon both moved to accomplish their orders.

"Let's go, Bhast!"

Seeing the people gradually become coordinated, Siegfried mounted his beast.

"I'm coming for you, brother." He whispered as the Great Dragon flew at an astonishing speed towards the source of the malicious aura. "I'll save you from that beast. I promise"

+++

What's happening? I can't remember anything.

Who am I?

Looking around I could only see the seemingly endless dark void continuously expanding.

There's a faint sound I can hear, quiet but clear.

Crackling flames, people screaming, loud roars. I could sense these things, but I couldn't see anything. It's so dark.

Am I a monster? I must be. After all, I can faintly feel crushing flesh beneath my feet. I can't feel any emotions besides an unending and vicious desire to kill and destroy.

I'm cold..

What.. what am I doing?

Why do I want to destroy everything?

Suddenly, a bright light appeared in front of me. A dazzling blue burst of light, filled with warmth.

+++

Arriving at the source of the black mist, Siegfried came across the figure of the Black Beast of Calamity in it's entirety, trampling and obliterating numerous villages in it's path.

Aside from it's usual large and monstrous frame, the cursed one now sported jet black armour riddled with spikes and chains.

Siegfried knew for sure, this was a different cursed beast. This was it's full power, the one they fought before was still somewhat being suppressed by Loic, this is the real Black Beast of Calamity, the harbinger of death.

"Let's get closer, Bhast. I'll try to reason with my brother."

Acknowledging it's master's order, the great Dragon flew in and drew closer to the wolf like monster.

The silver dragon was large itself, but it pales in comparison to this monster.

The black Beast grew.

It was believed that the black Beast of calamity feeds off of it's master's hatred and anger.

[Something must've happened] Siegfried thought as they hovered directly above the beast.

"Loic!!!" He yelled out in a loud voice. "Loic! I know you're in there!" He called out.

But to no avail, the black Beast simply continued on it's path.

[Perhaps it's heading for the capital!] He thought to himself.

"We can't let that happen, Bhast! Let's draw it's attention!"

Drawing his sword, Siegfried urged Bhast to attack the black Beast.

The black Beast continued it's rampaging, not even batting an eye towards the silver dragon flying overhead.

Opening it's mouth, Bhast suddenly produced a blue streak of lightning that hit the black Beast square in the face.

*Guraaaaaahh!!!!* Not minding the attack, the black beast roared as it produced numerous scythe like shadows from it's body and shot them towards anything and everything.

[Wha-- why didn't it attack us?! Is it focusing on razing the lands?!]

That was the only logical explanation for Siegfried. After all, the black beast from before abandoned everything just to chase Siegfried and Liliana, this one however flat out ignored him.

"Let's try again, Bhast! Get me close!"

In response, the silver dragon descended from the skies just above the cursed beast, and dug it's claws deep into it's hide. After which Siegfried jumped of and raised his sword to the skies.

"Grant me thy lightning!" He chanted as a dark cloud formed in the skies.

"Lightning hammer!!" He continued to exclaim as he dug his sword to the back of the cursed beast, causing a flash of lightning to burst from the skies and hit the beast square in the back, knocking it down in the process.

*Groaaaaaaarrrrr!!!!* The black beast violently roared as numerous more scythe like shadows appeared from beneath and decimated everything around it, giving Siegfried and Bhast no choice but to flee.

Nothing, not even a single tree was spared from its wrath as it cleared an entire forest in one fell sweep, most likely killing all of the things that were present there.

Siegfried became all the more sure that the cursed beast was hell bent on destroying the entire country.

Fortunately, they were still a good distance away from the capital. If they can just stop the beast from advancing any further then it would be the best scenario.

Just then, the black beast suddenly stood up and surveyed it's surroundings.

After confirming that the entire forest was cleared, it suddenly turned it's attention towards Siegfried and Bhast.

*Graa!* It snarled as it faced the duo.

"Looks like I finally have your attention, brother!" Siegfried exclaimed as he urged Bhast to charge forward.

The black beast, seemingly eager to fight the both of them, quickly stood up and began charging as well.

*Groaaaaaaar!!!!*

*Raaaaaaaahhh!!*

The two beast bellowed as they collided head on.

The shockwave they caused blew away almost all of the debris that were left by the black beast's devastation and sent the two of them reeling back.

Because the black beast was bigger than Bhast, the damage the silver dragon took was significantly greater than that of the black beast.

Hurdling to the ground, Bhast did it's best to protect Siegfried by hugging him close to it's chest and landing on it's back.

Meanwhile the black beast merely shrugged the dust off of it's mane and armour.

*Grrrraa* It snarled while looking at the recovering dragon with blood red eyes.

"We can't beat him like this, Bhast." Siegfried remarked while picking himself up.

"We have to perform unison." He continued.

A spirit beast is powerful on it's own, but it becomes astronomically more powerful if it's compatible with it's master through the power of unison. The act of which a spirit beast becomes one with it's master both in body, mind, and soul. The greater the bond, the stronger you become, or so it's believed.

Standing up, Siegfried extended his arms towards the dim skies, just as the black beast began charging towards them again.

"O' great dragon, Bhast. He who wears the silver cloak, I bid thee, I offer my entirety to thy might. lend thy strength to this humble one and shatter my foes!" He chanted as blue streaks of lightning crackled from his palms and sky.

"Unison!!"

Just then, a huge bolt of blue lightning struck them where they stood, blowing away the rampaging cursed beast in the process.

Amidst the crackling bolts and burning ground, a figure emerged.

A large man clad in silver armour with scale markings in the front and two fully functional Draconian wings on the back. He wielded a long lance decorated with Draconian claws on his right arm, and a wide tower shield sporting Draconian teeth on his left arm. His helm which had two large horns to the side protected the upper half of his face, while the lower half was open.

The Great Dragon Unison.

Siegfried raised his shield and blocked the charge of the cursed beast, completely stopping it in it's tracks, much to it's surprise.

The black beast struggled with all it's might, but it could not move it's enemy from his place.

With a swift motion, Siegfried raised his lance and, with much ferocity, thrust it towards the black beast.

"Lightning thrust!" He chanted as a burst of blue lightning erupted from the tip of his lance and blew away the giant wolf.

Just from that one attack it was clear that the black beast took way more damage than when it collided with the great dragon. It struggled to stand up as Siegfried flew high up to the sky to create distance.

"If you can hear me, brother!" He yelled as he readied his shield and lance.

"Come back to us! Please! I know you're still there! Don't let the cursed beast control y--"

*Guraaaaaaahhhh!!!*

Before he could finish his sentence however, dozens of black chains erupted from beneath the cursed beast as it roared in anger.

The target was most definitely Siegfried.

"Kuh!" He groaned as he did his best to evade.

Though the chains were fast, Siegfried was significantly faster. He almost effortlessly swerved and dodged to the skies making the black beast miss, much to it's frustration.

"I'm going to get serious now, brother!" He said with conviction. "Prepare yourself!"

"Haaaaah!!"

With a swift and forceful dash, Siegfried rammed his shield directly to the face of the black beast, knocking it down once again.

Taking advantage of the black beast being stunned, he chanted another attack.

"Lightning hammer!" he exclaimed as s a bolt of lightning struck the cursed beast from the sky culminating in a giant explosion.

After the dust settled, the figure of a giant wolf lying motionless on the ground appeared. It's jet black body was crackling with small bolts, indicating that the attack did significant damage.

Landing a good distance away from the cursed beast, Siegfried digs his lance to the ground and draws close to it.

"?!!"

Just as he was doing so however, it's eyes suddenly opened wide, revealing the dark shade of crimson held within.

*Gawoooooooohhhhh!!!!*

"Kuh!! Gah! It.. hurts!!"

With devastating fashion, the black beast suddenly let loose a booming, earth shattering howl, knocking back Siegfried in the process.

Suddenly, the cursed beast's body started to slowly disperse, forming a large cloud of jet black mist.

It then proceeded to swirl around violently, while Intense amounts of power and pressure emanated from within, slowly condensing in the center.

"?!!!"

Siegfried's eyes grew wide as he unconsciously clenched his fists and gulped.

"This is bad!!" He exclaimed as he leaped back towards his lance.

"How is this possible?!! Loic, what did you do?!"

The black mist slowly started to form a jet black figure resembling a humanoid like wolf. It had red eyes, pointed ears, red fur-like manes, and long sharp claws jutting out of it's hands. It's teeth were as sharp as swords while it's mouth exuded a crimson glow.

"GURAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!" It roared as the earth quaked and the air pressure suddenly increased. It's aura was so thick it was almost hard to breathe, even for Siegfried who was in complete unison with Bhast.

With cold sweat filling his entire body, Siegfried clenched his weapons in hands and gritted his teeth.

He slowly lowered his stance and prepared for an attack.

"This is bad.. this is very bad.. how can Loic use that move?!"

With a swift motion the humanoid figure flipped it's arms as two scythe like shadows appeared before them.

"Partial Unison." Siegfried quietly muttered as the humanoid figure charged at him with unimaginable speed.

2