Chapter 40 : Teries River
1.6k 1 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After he had confirmed the enemy's identity and position, Viscount Ray put down the his spectacle again. Thus, the sky and river flipped once more and the world returned to its natural order.

He leaned to his chair in his specially made room on the fortress. This fortress 1,000 meters from the river separating Magrado and Treia was completed before his grandfather's death. 

His grandfather was a knight who excelled leading soldiers in this district. Treia king promoted soldiers stationed at border to high positions easily and his grandfather was one of them. 

He inherited the Viscount title from his father. Having said that, his family's real job was just observing and defending this border.

It had been almost five years since the Treia had signed their peace treaty with the Kingdom of Magrado. Throughout this time, the Magrado had kept to their end of the bargain, but not out of a sense of honor. Rather, breaking contracts between two sovereign states would have gained them a reputation as oath breakers. Unlike the politically more free-form Republic of Sutra, the Treia really took their contracts seriously. Breaking the agreement would not only upset the countries in the region, but isolate Treia among the other kingdom. Even with all of these restraints in place, King Richard had never stopped in his attempt to repay them for his humiliation.

A broadside from point blank range with their cannon batteries had been enough for Ray's fortress to turn the tide of battle in their favor. Although the Magrado reacted fast and began to board the small ships, the crippled Magrado ships had been far too slow to cope with him.

Deep in thought, Ray entered his quarters and went straight to the table in its center. 

"Knock. Knock." 

"Who is there?" He was half yelling because of mental exhaustion. 

"It's the princess.!" Ray quickly tidied his table.

Princess Scarlet and her second in command, Demia Connery entered. 

"Have a sit, your majesty."

A bearded man in his fifties followed them. He was Viscount Joy, another unlucky noble who was governing the border land beside his land. 

Ray sat down while wiping her balding head with a handkerchief. The pair of dark elves were standing behind the princess. He met them yesterday for the first time. Dark elf mercenaries group called Darkness serving Duke Cheney.

He had a bad feeling. For someone in his fourties, Ray knew how King Richard annihilate the dark elves a decade ago. He then made a decree to hide this oppression. Now, the descendants of massacred dark elves were serving the government? It didn't make sense at all. 

"Viscount Ray." The princess voice woke him from pondering.

"We are going to ambush their camp now." He knew about this. 

The Knights legion led by Princess, Viscount Jon soldiers and the dark elves would proceed anytime today. 

Viscount Ray was to provide back up. 

"Any new information?" Demia asked.

"My latest estimate on their number is 7,000 soldiers. We had 5,000 soldiers on our side including mine." 

"That's all?" 

Ray nodded. 

"Let's move now." The princess and the others quickly left his room.

He then returned to the window and continued observing. 

****

“This will really be fine, right?”

At Aral’s question, Tamm, the dark elf man put on an awkward smile.

“Won’t it be?”

But it was a voice without confidence.

Sora, Kennis the knight and the troop adjutants stood in one place and looked at the soldiers.

“This goes there! That’s over here!”

“Don’t stick them together!”

“It has to look natural!”

The soldiers moved between the plain and the riverside busily.

Viscount Joy forced a smile and looked at the youth giving the orders between the soldiers.

“Right. As the strategy was set up by Ray, there won’t be any problems.”

On the armor the soldier with the childish face, Tamm was wearing, there was a badge symbolizing black, Darkness. Beside him was Riheet.

Then, Riheet shook off the dirt in his hands and approached.

“It’s time Magado’s troop came.”

At those words, Ripine and the other adjutants nodded.

‘We couldn’t even set up a formation properly.’

They couldn’t even set up a common wooden fence.

Because they didn’t have the time to do so.

Kennis smiled bitterly.

‘Even so, we finished the preparations according to Ray's strategy.’

If Magrado’s troop fell on their trap, he could ascertain victory.

But what if the results weren’t good?

‘There’s a high possibility they will attack Ray fortress.’

Kennis the knight ground his teeth.

‘We will certainly win.’

When he got a new resolution.

“Each troop and squads will have to move to their appointed places.”

Riheet’s cold voice.

Aral nodded and looked to his right.

He could see Tamm leading his troop that was part of their corps.

“Then, we will be moving.”

He slightly nodded and moved.

Sora, Ripine and their troop had the commanding rights for this battle.

Aral could only move according to their strategies and commands.

“We are moving! Everyone to your appointed places!”

At his orders, Darkness’s adjutants quickly ordered the soldiers.

“We are also moving!”

Continued by that, Delma let out the order.

Soon the cavalry, archers, swordsmen, etc. started to move towards Teries river.

Ripine troop and Sora troop.

The combined number of the two troops was 100, which was 500 less than Magrado troops which was immediately in front of them.

As Ripine was about to the Western front, her hand was held by Riheet.

"My sister. Remember this. No matter what you must survive." Riheet spoke in warm demeanor, different from his usual cold demeanor.

"You too, brother." Ripine kissed her brother's cheek before walking away.

Riheet was pondering about something. Sora didn't follow Ripine immediately. She was just waiting for Riheet. 

Riheet than grabbed her shoulders roughly. 

"Sora. Listen to me. Ripine was the most important thing. No matter ..." 

Without letting Riheet finished his words, Sora interrupted.

"I will take her away if anything happens. She is already like my little sister, like Aura." 

They went separate ways.

*****"

Treia central troop was the main force. The 4,000 soldiers were led by Princess Scarlet, and Demia Connery. Viscount Joy led the vanguard.

The right wing was protected by Viscount Ray fortress.

The left wing was assigned to protect the temporary barricades. The number of soldiers were around 500, 100 led by Ripine and Sora, and 400 led by Riheet. 

The border land between Magrado and Treia was not very big, only consist land owned by Viscount Ray and Joy. 

The riverbank that Magrado could easily land was just in front of Ray fortress. 

3 weeks ago, hundreds of small ship landed carrying thousands of Magrado soldiers. Ray fortress couldn't shot that many ships. 

The landed soldiers made a huge encampment in the plain along the river. 

The strategy was Ray fortress would shot down any new ships trying to land while the main army engage the the enemy encampment.

The remaining riverbank near the border to Germion Kingdom were blocked by dozens of newly built barricades. As the enemy unlikely reach there, only 500 soldiers were stationed there, a quarter of it was Darkness mercenaries. 

When enemies in shamble, Riheet would lead Darkness to ambush them from their back.

"Riheet.!" 

Tamm ran to Riheet who was discussing with Kennis the knight. 

"What, Tamm?" Aral asked while drinking a bottle of water.

Tamm was panting but his right kept pointing to their right.

Riheet furrowed his eyebrows, quickly climbed temporarily made tower. 

"Over a thousand Magrado was heading here." Tamm shouted.

"Damn. Are you kidding me?" Aral and the others were shaking Tamm's shoulder.

"Riheet!!" The rest were calling him. The leader's eyes went wide.

"No. They were nearly 2,000. They plan to surrender the central battle and outnumbered us at the barricades." He said before jumping down.

Kennis ordered this changes to be reported to Viscount Ray and Demia.

"Burn the barricades and the area around them now."

The soldiers rushed to pour oil everywhere. 

"Not enough. Get more oil!" 

Riheet then shouted, "Leave several soldiers to burn the the place just before they reach here. The rest retreat to the forest. Avoid open area!"

*****

(3 days later)

Ripine's eyes opened to the crackling sound of flying sparks. She felt a faint warmth, but the ache in her neck - a burning sensation let her know that this was a reality.

What happened to her? What happened to her brother? What happened to her companions? A series of memories flashed through her mind. 

".."

Ripine silently pushed the blanker aside and sat up. She appeared to be in bed. 

When she looked around, she was in a log building.  A smell prickled her nose - a wine? 

It had been one more but of bad luck that even being soaked and bathed in blood, hadn't dampen her sense of smell.

She was on the second floor of an inn. In one of the guest room, she thought. If she wasn't simply hallucinating.

At the same time, she could see a human figure crouching in one dark corner of the room, which was illuminated only by fire.

The figure moved to her bedside. She had short grey hair and was like sister to her. Sora. The only difference was she had a new scar, a straight line from above her left eye until slightly below her left eye. She got that scar when saving Ripine's life.

"Brother.." Ripine asked.

"Dead." 

"They were all dead." Sora said softly.

Ripine thought bfor a moment. She marveled at how hardly a ripple passed through her heart. She had expected to cry but her spirit was strikingly quiet.

"Thank you for helping me." A pause. Ripine looked at her Sora vacantly.

Ripine stared up at the ceiling. Someone had cleaned her skin and clothes. And exchange them for a rough unadorned outfit. She put a hand on her chest, which rose and fell, in time with her breath. Who was it who wiped her body clean? Was it Sora? In truth, she didn't care either way.

There was nothing left for her now. Nothing at all.

She had no home. Her brother was gone. Her friends were gone. Even her chastity has been stolen during that war.

"......"

No. It's not over yet.

She looked at scar on Sora face. 

Ripine uttered quietly but clearly to other girl,

"Sora.... Aura..."

Sora hugged Ripine. They embraced each other and sobbing.

22