Chapter 68 : Athen
768 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Athen was young country. In fact, it was a newest country in the continent. It was established a 10 years ago. At its east and north side was Arkland kingdom. At its west was Vandolea state. Polpo Kingdom was at its south west. Stateless great forest was at its south and south east. 

Before 10 years ago, it was a kingdom, ruled by a conventional monarch. The last king of the dynasty, King Roland was a king who believed in ideals. 

It was very common for a king and nobles to have wives and concubines. Even the farmers often had 2 or more wives in this age.

But king Roland fell in love and stayed with only a single wife. His ideals were largely influenced by his wife. 

He then enact law to limit average men to have only one wife. He tried to enforce the law onto the nobles and were resisted. Consequently, he wages wars against nobles. One by one noble was defeated. Their title was taken. Then, he abolished nobility but the noble family could still retain their land and wealth. However, the former nobles could no longer collect taxes. Taxes could only be collected by central government. Former nobles were allowed to use their wealth freely and became merchants.

Social hierarchy and slavery were abolished.

Soldiers were not governed by nobles, but hired by central government.

He then made a new constitution, where rulers were chosen by the people. He divided the state into territories and each territory has an elected ruler. Ruler was chosen every 3 years during a week called 'week of election'. During that week of election, the people resided in each territory assembled and nominated a person to be their ruler. 

Another activity was conducted during the week of election, which was to choose a ruler for central government. 

Once appointed, the chosen territorial and central leaders convened monthly meeting in the palace to discuss national issues and new rules. 

At first, King Roland still maintained his authority over the chosen rulers as king. 

The country still remained its monarchy for another 10 years until the king and his family announced his resignation. He declared the old kingdom had ended and declared a new country ruled by the people. He, brought his family and enormous wealth and left the Athen. He was not heard until now.

10 years ahead, the rules of governance were different from other countries on the surface, but in reality, old politics was in business as usual.

The chosen leaders in territories and central government were wealthy merchants and former nobles. 

Wealth gap between rich and poor was as huge as before. 

Wealthy merchants and former nobles hired their own private troops. There were many of them who actually had the same number of troops compared to when they were nobles.

Athen was turning into the state of Sutra at Teries River. The difference was that Athen was many times larger and Sutra had barely any soldier. 

In Athen, fights often occurred between factions and atrocities committed by members of wealthy families were rarely punished.

Nevertheless, the rich families were reined in by King Ronald and life of average people was a lot better during early days of change.

People of lower status offered themselves but the wealthy people always gained a lot more votes than them. 

At the end, the people with no wealth had no voice in the new government of the people.

9