Chapter Three: A Trip to Tartarus
2.4k 21 70
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
School has been kicking my bootay but I finally had time to grind out a chapter.

 

AHHHHHHHHHH!

 

Yup. That's me screaming internally as I plummeted into the depths and darkness of the trench.

 

I know, I jumped in here on my own accord, but its not like I had much of a choice. It was either this or getting eaten by that stupid goldfish. I’d take depth diving over getting served as the weekly Escargot special.

 

Anyways, even while my quirky mind wandered on my recent decisions, I was still taking in my situation.

 

This ‘trench’ was completely different from the ones on Earth I had read about in my absolute boredom between missions. I guess all that useless information is becoming not so useless? Still wish I’d had a proper education though.

 

Disregarding my embarrassing academic career, if you can even call it that, this trench is weird. 

 

Normally, the ocean is divided into five zones.

 

 The surface level, from 0 to 200 meters,  is called the sunlight zone. That’s where most of the fish a normal person could identify come from. 

 

Next is the twilight zone, starting at 200 meters and ending at 1000, which is defined by light. At the top of the zone, there’s plenty of light, but towards the bottom only about one percent of sunlight pierces through. There's still lots of life that dwells here in this zone. 

 

After that is the midnight zone, the start of absolute darkness. From this point, 1000 to 4000 meters below the surface. is pitch black. Apparently, plants can’t live at this depth and beyond, cause duh no photosynthesis. This is where your angelfish and other bioluminescence fish live.

 

 Then there’s the abyssal zone. This zone spans from 4000 meters to the ocean floor.  This is where the sperm whales and giant squids constantly fight to the death.

 

Last but not least is the hadal zone. This is the zone where trenches usually are. The absolute bottom of the ocean. 

 

For the risk of sounding like a broken record, this trench is weird. For starters, it started in the sunlight zone. And it seems like it goes-GUH.

 

Yep, just hit the ocean floor. Meaning I’m in either abyssal or hadal zone, if this ocean is anything like the one on Earth. Based on what I’ve seen I think that’s an okay assumption to make...at least until proven otherwise.

 

Anyways, like I was saying, this ‘trench’ is basically a pit straight to Hell. Reminds me of that place from Greek mythology….what was it called? Oh yeah, Tartarus.

 

Enough of my rambling, I can’t see a thing. I’d trade one of my eyestalks for night vision right now. Kind of defeats the purpose but the sentiment is there. 

 

Hmmm…..What to do, what to do.

 

AH HA! I’LL USE THE UNIQUE SKILL THOT!

 

Whoops, I meant Thoth.

 

Pfft.

 

Huh? I could’ve sworn I heard someone trying to hold back their laughter.

 

Well whatever….Now if the description I read was right…. Thoth bestows skills based on the knowledge of the user.

 

So how does night vision work exactly?  Sure, I used it plenty of times during covert operations, but I never knew how it worked exactly.

 

Hmmm. Think. Think. AHA!

 

The vision shows green, right? So it must be like the rays that made the angry big green guy. What's the name? Umm….oh that's it, Gamma rays.

 

Okay Thoth. Are you listening?

 

Night vision comes from taking the ambient gamma rays and converting them into visual information. Final answer.

 

….

 

No?

 

Are you mad at me for calling you a thot? 

 

Sorry…..I won’t do it again I swear.

 

BING!

Unique Skill Thoth has granted the skill Night Vision [Incomplete]

 

Oi, so you really were salty for getting called a thot...wait incomplete?

 

What's that supposed to mean?

 

I think a modified version of a corny poster found in schools everywhere fits my train of thought: When in doubt, use Appraisal.

 

BING!

Incomplete 

A skill that is only partially usable. Generally due to a curse or injury.

 

 

Hmmm. Figures. So putting two and two together…. doesn’t that mean Thoth gave me an incomplete skill because i got the answer wrong, but I was on the right track?

 

Anyways, let’s leave that for some other time, this incomplete Night Vision ain't too shabby. I can’t see crystal clear, or that far away, but it sure beats total blindness.

 

Now, let’s confirm what zone I’m in. Hmmm…the abyssal and hadal zones are pretty similar. But something tells me I’m in the hadal. There’s absolutely nothing around here…except for small invertebrates. No big creatures like giant squids from what I can tell.

 

Now that I think about, shouldn’t I be getting crushed by the pressure right now? Not that I’m complaining. Wait….I’m a small invertebrate too. Haaah, total forgot.

 

Well moping around isn’t going to get me anything. Let's try to figure a way back up.

 

*°*

 

Ugh, I’ve been trudging around for hours maybe even days. I dunno, it’s hard to keep track with no light. After a while I found a wall, The wall was too sloped for me to crawl up. And I can’t exactly swim, especially under this pressure. Pathetic, I know, I know. Let’s keep moving.

 

I swear when I get out of here, I’m going to make Stupid McStupidFace the biggest sushi roll in the universe. Yes, I just came up with a name for that dumb goldfish.

 

~Brrr. 

 

What was that shiver I just felt? Better check my status.

 

Name:       
Race:   Grey Slug
Gender: N/A
Condition: Magically drained 
Level: 1
EXP: 0/1000
HP: 10/10 MP: 0/5 STA; 7/10
STR: 1 INT: 5 DEX: 15
Danger Rank: G-
Titles:   Migrant, Loved by a Goddess, ???, ???
Racial Skills:  Slime Secretion LV 1
Acquired Skills: Appraisal LV 1, Night Vision [Incomplete]   
Unique Skills:     Thoth

 

Only three down on stamina for all that movement? Not too shabby.

 

Oi,OI! WHADDYA MEAN MAGICALLY DRAINED??! WHERE DID MY MAGIC GO?!

 

Tch. Now I just feel used and abused. But what’s that? My protagonist's senses are tingling…..I SMELL PLOT ARMOR!

 

Sure enough, I stumbled upon something. Having headed in the exact opposite direction of the wall, I figured I’d eventually run into the other side. Lo and behold, I did. But not just a normal wall like the other side.

 

This one had a cave. A CAVE! The opening is massive, at least from my perspective. It's also a perfectly rounded arch from what I can tell. That leads me to believe this could be man -no- more like sentient being made. There’s also some sort of sign with cryptic lettering hanging on the top of the arch? Unfortunately for me, I can’t read it. Migrant only gives Language Comprehension to humanoids. No need to fear, Appraisal is here!

 

Aim at the sign and fire!

 

BING!

Tiama Labyrinth

One of the recorded dungeons in the Maha Ocean. Of the known dungeons, it’s the most notorious. Thousands and thousands have attempted to complete it, but most don’t even make it to the entrance. Those with the fortitude to withstand the pressure were then snuffed out by the fearsome monsters that lurk in the caverns. Out of all those challengers who have tried it, only two have successfully overcome the labyrinth. Because of the abysmal success rate, most of the labyrinth is uncharted. It is known that dungeon itself is divided into five zones, with a hundred levels, but beyond that the specifics are unknown.

 

 

I know I’ve said it before, but Appraisal is kind of broken. The quality of information is just fantastic.

 

I learned a lot with that one system message. I now know the name of the ocean I’m in, that being the Maha. I also confirmed that this is a dungeon. I got the general layout...which I can combine with my prior knowledge to come up with a rough idea of what I'm going into. And I got my odds at completing this….

Spoiler

[collapse]

Two out of thousands, huh? Not great odds but, eh, what can ya do. Anyways I made it to the entrance...I’m doing better than most challengers. Those two that made it through, they’ve got to be awesome...I’d like to meet them if they’re still around.

 

Anyways, enough if that. All I’ve done so far in this new world is gather information. That’s crucial but it’s also boring. I want some excitement. That being said...ONWARD INTO THE FRAY!

 

Yes, yes~ I’m aware that I’m in need of an immediate mental health evaluation after that one. But I’m going diving in an actual dungeon, so it’s fine, right?

 

The inside of the cave isn’t like the entrance….it looks kind of cavey? It doesn’t look like it has been altered. There’s what looks like natural rock formations, and crevices within the ground, walls, and ceilings. There’s even some glowing crystals that take some of the strain off of my budget night vision.

 

*°*

 

Wow. I’m starting to think the system lied to me with that appraisal description.I’ve been here for hours with no monster sightings at all. Maybe all those challengers were just chumps?

 

GRRRRR.

 

What the?

 

As in response to my thoughts, I turn around to be greeted with a giant looming maw surging towards me. Totally jinxed myself didn't I?

 

Aw, fiddlesticks.

Next time we’ll finally get into some action. On another note, does anyone know a more effective way of making the tables? Manually doing it each and every time  is so time consuming....Anyways thanks for reading and have a great day!

How's the pacing so far?
  • Too slow.
  • Good.
  • Too fast.
Total voters: 50 · This poll was closed on Feb 18, 2021 07:50 PM.
70