Chapter 8: Legends never die
8.1k 9 211
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Chaos spread all over the world, but in LogueTown?

 

No one moved.

No one made a sound.

 

Everyone was too stunned to do anything.

Some had already realized, to others? It began to dawn on them.

 

The Pirate King last words.

 

The marines chose LogueTown as the location for his execution and to televised it for multiple reasons.

 

It was the birthplace of Gol D. Roger. Showing a populace so much against him was a way to rile up the population over the world against piracy.

 

Then LogueTown’s location.

 

LogueTown was in East blue. For the greatest pirate that ever lived to meet his end in the weakest sea was a great humiliation.

 

It was a warning to pirates all over the seas.

 

The Marine thought to use this execution as a means to scare people, to deter them from becoming pirates.

 

But.

The Pirate King last words...

Had the opposite effect…

 

Never would the world ever see so many pirates, so much chaos than in this new Age.

 

Finally the marines moved, they had damage control to do and fast.

 

The people started to move too, everyone was going back home.

 

But among the crowd, two people were immobile.

 

To a passerby, it was just an old man and his grandson on his shoulders.

 

But they were no grandpa and his grandson.

 

They were theDark King, Silvers Rayleigh, first mate of the pirate that just passed away, and a young Seaman recruit of the marine, Rick Wald.

 

Both were crying and smiling at the same time.

 

“What an amazing man. In his last moment when death smiled at him… he smiled back and with a few words cheated her and went on to live forever.”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Old man, you’re really lucky to have sailed the seas with such a man.”

 

“ Yes kid. I am.”

 

“He made me want to sit with you, a pirate, and hear your stories, your adventures. Really… amazing.”

 

“That’s captain Roger for you, kid.”

 

Rick sighed.

“We should go now.”

 

He floated off Rayleigh’s shoulders and landed on the ground.

“Our own way.”

Rayleigh tried to remove the cap to give it back, but Rick stopped him, by a wave of the hand.

 

“Keep the cap old man, you need it. Mix into the crowd, you should be fine and escape.”

 

Rayleigh smirked

 

‘This kid is really acting cute’

 

“Not gonna call your marines friends?”

 

“Nah. It would not be right to go after you while you’re grieving old man.I’m giving you a few days for a head start. After that be prepared because you’re mine to catch.”

 

Rayleigh laughed.

“Right.“

 

“I’ll catch you old man, make no mistake. Besides, I didn’t give you my cap, I lent it. And I want it back. So don’t go losing it somewhere, or worse get captured and have it taken from you.”

 

And with those final words Rick left the plaza to go back to the marine quarters.

 

Rayleigh looked at the child’s back.

‘Everytime that kid opens his mouth he amazes me. Any other kid saying what he said… I would ignore it but him…’

 

After looking at Rick in silence until he disappeared, Rayleigh was thinking.

 

“ Fine kid. I’ll believe in you catching me. I’ll take care of your cap, don't worry. Until we meet again.”

 

The dark king took one last look at the scaffolds, and bowed his head.

‘See you around Roger”.

And left.

 

~~~~

Back at the marine quarters, Rick could hear Garp laughing.

He was talking to someone clearly angry on a den-den mushi.

 

“For the love of god Garp stop laughing! You were summoned at Marie-Geoise immediately. Roger’s shit needs to be addressed and you’re needed back at HQ. See you soon.”

 

The call ended and Garp was still laughing; he had tears in his eyes.

 

“HAHAHAHA! Roger you old bastard you got them all. you got them all good. HAHAHA”

 

“Sir?”

 

Upon hearing Rick, Garp brought his laughter under control.

“Pack up kid, you and I are going to HQ.”

“Yes, sir! When do we leave?”

 

“Now”.

~~~~~~

For the next two months, while traveling to Mary Geoise, Garp “trained“ Rick.

If you could call beating someone up training.

Despite the pain, Rick learned a lot and had gotten stronger.

The Vice-admiral was more than pleased at the speed his subordinate was growing.

 

The marines had a whole new level of respect for this rookie.

Not only was he strong, but he never complained about the beating Garp gave him.

Most of all they respected him because Rick could somehow rein the wild beast of the marine back.

 

During their travels they encountered a fairly good number of pirate crew newly formed, thanks to Roger’s declaration.

 

More than once Rick stopped Garp, being well… Garp.

On those occasions, Garp released some steam by “training” him.

Perhaps because he was too dense or because Garp was too good at hiding it, or simply unaware, a new kind of relationship was born between the two. Though it began months earlier. 

 

The others saw it though but never said anything, too happy that Garp’s attention was focused on Rick and not on doing Garp things.

 

Garp was looking at Rick as if he was his grandson, and in return Rick saw Garp as an annoying grandfather.

 

Garp was missing his estranged son, now leader of the revolution army, openly opposed to the world government’s rule.

 

And Rick was starving for a family. Not having had one in his lives, or not remembering it.

 

Finally after having sailed for two months, they arrived at Marineford : headquarters of the marine.

211