Prelude – Before
4.3k 24 104
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Chris, you have got to get your life together. Your mother and I can’t keep supporting you.” My dad said for the fifteenth time. Mom just sat there and didn’t say anything. She wasn’t going to interfere. Dad didn’t have any faith in me. Why would he? He decided that I didn’t need to go to college.

As he turned the corner heading to the airport, he shook his head. “And when are you going to get a girlfriend and give us grandchildren. I know you think you are a girl, but you are a man and need to start acting like it. I  can’t….”  he started to say before my mom finally cut him off.

“Eric, you know how Chris feels about that. There is no pushing him. Besides, you want him to come home for your birthday. I suggest you not chase him away,” my mom said. I guess she had had enough of my dad’s berating.

For the next twenty minutes, we sat in the car silent. I really didn’t want to listen to my dad’s thoughts on living my life anymore. I don’t know why my mom was quiet. She really wasn’t in the argument, but I guessed that she didn’t want to start anything with my dad and get him going again. It was fine. I took the time to take in the sights. I know that I had been to Florida before, but I always enjoyed seeing the people.  You could always find a new face.

As we arrived at the airport, dad turned around and looked at me. I knew he was thinking of what to say without upsetting my mom. Of everything else in this world, my mom was the only person he didn’t want to piss. He started in again about needing to be a man and find a job and a girlfriend. He was becoming a broken record. Irritated and tired of the conversation, I got out of the car, grabbed my things, and headed to mom’s door.

“I love you, mom. I am sorry that I cause you all so much grief. I will see you all at Dad’s birthday,” I said, then headed to the terminal. If only I had known that this would be the last time I saw them, I would have stayed and talked longer. I would have explained that no matter how I felt, I was their child. But instead, I walked away and got on a plane.

104