Ch. 12 Teaching is for Someone Else
1.4k 7 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I awoke the following day, I barely had time for breakfast before Talissa put me to work training the gatherers. As I arrived at what was to be the makeshift school, the gatherers all looked at me. It was a lot of pressure on me. I didn’t know how I would teach them, but I was expected to if I was going to live here. Why didn’t she have me go back to working with Keba? I was getting good at crafting. I spent the first hour or so pretty much doing a Q and A. It was hard to even get through one conversation without someone having a question.

After about two hours, I wasn’t much further into my teaching when Talissa arrived. I guess she had come to examine what was going on. Just what I needed, someone breathing down my neck to make sure that I was upholding my promise. I did my best to ignore that she was there and continued trying to teach the gatherers, though fairing any better with the addition. I could practically feel her glaring at me, though I did not turn my attention to her to find out if I was right.

It was midday when Talissa announced that it was time to take a break. I was exhausted and looking forward to ending this misery. I was just about to leave when Talissa stopped me.

“Your teaching needs work,” was all she had to say. I looked her in the eye and sighed. I knew something like this was going to happen. I had already tried to explain to her I wasn’t a teacher, but she insisted that I teach them what I knew.

“I am trying,” I said, still staring at her. She didn’t seem to change her expression one bit. I wondered for a moment if she was still paying attention.

“You have to teach with authority. It would be best if you demanded their attention and not give in to all of their questions. If you do, you will not get far, and they will not be ready to go out and forage,” Talissa said. I didn’t understand her tact. I understood that she wanted to minimize casualties and kidnappings, but they had been doing this their way long before I showed up. Why the sudden interest in change?

“I have never been one in charge of anything,” I said. This time Talissa’s facials changed. Now she looked like she was about to laugh at something. I didn’t see what was so funny.

“Do you think I was born knowing how to lead my people? No, I had to learn, much as you have to learn how to teach them. You must learn to be their guide, for you are the one with the knowledge that may save many lives. I know this is a lot to ask, but I am running out of options,” Talissa said, showing for the first time a sign of desperation. I could never begin to know what she had to deal with, but I sympathized with her. Then I thought of Amethyst and Kiena. My teaching meant a better chance of their survival as well.

“I will try to do better,” I said, grabbing one of my tails and holding it close to me. Still, I wouldn’t say I liked the idea of being someone’s teacher, but if it meant keeping Amethyst and Kiena safe, I had to try, at least.

“I will allow the gatherers to search for berries and nuts today. Meanwhile, you should learn from my daughter how to teach. After all, she has taught many of the people in this village,” Talissa said. I blinked as she suggested it, then tilted my head to the side. I don’t know why I didn’t think about that in the first place. But Amethyst was doing so much for me already, I didn’t know if I wanted to ask her for more help, but it didn’t sound like a suggestion. It sounded like a kind order. Instead of answering her, I just nodded, then headed out.

When I got back to the house, Amethyst and Kiena were gone. I guessed that she was probably still teaching the children, so I decided to find out where they were. That way, I could get the first-hand experience in how she taught the kids. I know it wasn’t exactly the say since I wasn’t teaching kids, but this way, I could perhaps learn how to gain and keep their attention. It isn’t like I had a lot to teach them. I was sure I could teach them everything I know in one day, but actually being able to get through the lesson was the issue.

After some searching and asking around, I found Amethyst and the village children on the far side of the village grounds. It looked like she was teaching them about hunting. I found a tree that was just out of the way and leaned against it as I watched her for a few moments. As I watched her teaching them how to lung and how to claw, I found myself fascinated by the way her body moved. It was hard to appreciate it when I was almost eaten and then when she was killing food for us, but here in the village, it was like a very exotic dance form. It was also hard to watch, as I found myself admiring certain parts of her. It was hard not to when no one in this village wore clothes. Though you wouldn’t be able to see it, I was blushing as I found myself fantasizing about her.

I had been so captivated by my dirty thoughts that I didn’t realize at first that she had stopped her lesson and was now staring at me curiously. When I finally noticed, I hid my face behind one of my tails. She wasn’t the only one staring either. It seemed that I had caught the attention of the children as well. I was so ashamed of myself. I was just about to walk away when Kiena jumped up and ran towards me. Before I could react, she leaped in the air and tackled me. We both fell to the ground. I could hear her laughing as she got up, dusting herself off.

“Is that how you do it, momma,” Kiena asked as she looked at Amethyst. Amethyst just looked at her as she covered her face, probably trying to hide the fact that she was laughing to herself.

“Exactly like that little on,” Amethyst said. Dusting myself off, I stood back up and laughed. Who would have thought I would have been part of a demonstration by a little girl? Kiena grinned proudly as she looked up at me.

“I got you, Coralin,” Kiena said before walking back over with the other kids, who all moved as she passed. I was not too fond of the way that they acted when she was around. I just wanted to knock some sense into them, though I would never strike a child. I got a bad taste in my mouth just thinking of it.

“What brings you here? Aren’t you supposed to be teaching the gatherers?” Amethyst asked with her head tilted to the side. I could understand her curiosity.

“The elder said that I should watch how you teach the children so that I could learn how to teach them,” I said, though I still didn’t see how this was going to help me. Sure, she was teaching them how to hunt, but I didn’t really see how she demanded authority.

“We do not know how we can help you,” Amethyst said. That wasn’t what I wanted to hear. How was I supposed to do what Talissa wanted if Amethyst didn’t know how to help me? I guess I was destined to fail at the one thing that Talissa asked me to do. I started to wonder what my teachers would do. Then it hit me. I didn’t need Amethyst to teach me how to demand authority. I went to school. I knew what teachers did when it came to teaching us.

When we got home, Amethyst set to making dinner while Kiena went to her room. This gave me time to reflect on how my teachers used to get us to pay attention in class. I didn’t have any ruler, so that was out. I thought about using a reward system, but I didn’t think that would help either. There wasn’t anything I could offer them that they couldn’t get or have made. Eventually, it came down to showing force. I wouldn’t say I liked the idea, but at the same time, I couldn’t think of anything else. I didn’t mean that I would cause them any harm. It was all about the tone of voice. I remembered that our teachers had a certain tone of voice when they wanted us to pay attention except for Mr. Conway. His voice was so monotone that it was hard to stay awake in class. I actually felt bad for him. It wasn’t his fault that he only had one tone.

Then next day, I went to the makeshift classroom. Everyone was already waiting there. I decided to test my theory out.

“I know that you all have experience with fighting, and I know that you have been taught how to defend yourselves for many years, but humans in armor are different than those in regular clothes,” I said with determination. Surprisingly, they all seemed to pay attention. I was actually surprised it worked. I continued my speech, and even when they tried to ask questions, I deflected back to my speech. I was determined to get through this lesson. Again, Talissa showed up to watch me teach. This time I ignored her and continued.

After about four hours, I had explained everything I wanted to, including using spears to go between the weak parts in armor. They were a little confused at first, but I felt that they eventually got what I was saying. Looking over at Talissa, she seemed very pleased. I was glad because the last thing I needed was her telling me that I still wasn’t teaching them right. As I began to head out, she again stopped me.

“I want to thank you for teaching them. I understand that it was hard for you, but with your help, they may very well stand a better chance against the humans,” Talissa said as she spoke. A question popped into my head.

“Have you ever considered talking with the humans? Tried coming up with a peace treaty?” I spoke. I watched as her expressions changed to anger. I guess I had asked the wrong question.

“I would never think of such a thing. They have taken so much from our people and other creatures as well. Though some creatures are not as civilized as us, they do not deserve the deaths that they are given. Humans no nothing but how to take and claim things which they do not own,” Talissa said. I could feel the hatred in her voice. I knew that in part, she was talking about her other daughter. No one would name her. It was almost as if they all tried to forget who she was.

“I apologize. I did not mean offense. I know that in time, the people of my world found some peace. Sure, there is still hatred, and there are those who judge others by the color of their skin. But it is not the same as it was long ago,” I said. Even as I said it, part of me knew that it wasn’t entirely true. The number of black people judged, raped, and killed was still higher than it should be. No one should be raped or killed, but compared to white people, it was devastating.

“Perhaps one day it will be the same here, but for now, I can only worry about my people,” Talissa said. I understood what she was saying, but it still saddened me. People shouldn’t have to live in fear because they are afraid of change. Afraid to adapt. I decided that pressing the matter any further would cause more problems than I needed to worry about, so I said farewell and headed out.

It was still midday, so I decided to go for a stroll around the village. There was so much that I had yet to explore. As I walked the bridges, I was greeted by people passing by. Some of them I met during the festival. Others I was meeting for the first time. I met this one couple, who were two females bonded. I was surprised to see lesbians in this world, though after my conversation with Keba, you would have thought I would have known. But deep inside, I was still stuck on how things were back in my world. Though the LGBTQ community was making strides, there were still states and people who would rather see us die than accept us. It was disheartening that people couldn’t look past religion and see that we are all people no matter who we were on the inside or who we loved.

Eventually, I ended up at Keba’s workshop. With nothing else to do and Amethyst off teaching the kids, I decided to stop in and visit. Perhaps doing some physical work would get my mind off things.

“Ah, if it isn’t my multitalented apprentice,” Keba said from behind his next project. I wondered what it was going to be, but it was still in its rough stages.

“Hello, Master Keba. Do you mind if I help you?” I asked. He gave me a curious look, then shrugged and handed me a shell.

“So how was it? Teaching the gatherers,” He asked. I could see the intrigue in his eyes.

“It was different. I didn’t think I could do it, but after remembering how I was taught, it became a little easier,” I said as I started peeling slivers of wood. I had gotten so used to this that it was almost second nature now.

“Yes, usually using one’s experiences helps. Much like me teaching you dearly. By the way, will you want a house of your own?” Keba asked. I had never really thought about it. I was so used to living with Amethyst that I wouldn’t know how to live alone even though I had done it for a couple of years now.

“Honestly, I haven’t given much thought about it. I love living with Amethyst,” I said honestly. What was I going to say, sure I want to live alone?

“Ah, so does this mean you plan to bond with her?” Keba asked. I was shocked at his question. I know he said that she liked me, and I think I was starting to suspect the same thing, but I didn’t really think about bonding with her. Could I even do that, being a different species?

“It’s not that. I have just grown fond of living there. Plus, I think Kiena loves having me around,” I said, deflecting his question. He gave me a look, then shook his head.

“You are so blind that you can’t see what is right in front of your face. Even in my old age, I see it,” Keba said. I was shocked that he called himself old. He didn’t look much older than me.

“What do you mean old age? You don’t look more than twenty,” I said. Keba laughed and almost fell off his stump.

“My dear, appearances aren’t everything. Unlike humans, we Keyama live longer and age slower. Even in our old age, we look much younger than humans,” Keba said, still laughing. Come to think of it. I didn’t really see old Keyama. At least what I pictured they would look like.

“But how do you tell when someone is old?” I asked though I felt ashamed of my question. It was never polite to ask someone about their old age where I came from.

“My dear, it is all about the color of tails,” he said, lifting his tail as if to give a visual representation. I had never really paid attention to their tails before, but now that he raised his, I could see that it was greying. I was actually shocked because you could see a clear difference in the colors. It was as if someone had put a ring at the end of their tail and pulled it down as they aged. The color was on the back half of the tail, while the grey started where the color ended. There was no fading.

“I have never seen anything like it,” I said. It was quite a fascinating sight.

“Well, now you. And before you ask, I am two hundred and thirty-seven years old,” Keba said. I felt my jaw drop at his words. If this were a cartoon, my jaw would have hit the floor. I couldn’t believe he was that old. This made me wonder exactly how old Amethyst was. Or even Talissa.

When the sun started to set over the trees, Keba sent me home. As I walked back to Amethyst’s house, I pondered over everything from that day. The more I stayed here, the more I learned about these people. It was amazing the things I had learned since I first came here. These people were so simple, yet not. In some ways, I felt like I was back in the medieval era. I wondered for a moment if I should teach them about clothes. As much as it was fascinating seeing how they lived without clothes, I couldn’t help think that that was part of the reason that humans targeted them so quickly. After some more thought on the matter, I decided that I would talk to Talissa about it tomorrow.

42