Book 5 Chapter 19
1.3k 12 88
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Joan couldn’t help feeling a little teary eyed when she hugged Rab and Lyndis one last time. She didn’t know why. It wasn’t like they were close, she’d only been a member of the Crystal Phoenixes for a very short time, she was honestly amazed they remembered her at all.

She was amazed she remembered them at all. It was a little hard to imagine that they had both been there when everything had started. When her memories returned they were the first people she talked to. So much of her life had been changed since then and yet they were still continuing their own lives, as if everything was fine.

Joan supposed that, to them, everything was fine. They didn’t know the danger the world was currently in. If she succeeded they never would.

“You will tell everyone I’m doing fine, right?” Joan asked once she finally pulled away from the two. “If they ask?”

“We will,” Rab said. “Just try to take care of yourself, okay? You’re still representing us, if unofficially. Your name comes up quite a bit more often than you might expect whenever Uriel is negotiating. There’s quite a bit of prestige to be had in having the child of a Chosen join your ranks, not to mention having done missions with a few of them. This little event is going to get us quite a few free drinks as it is.”

“You slept through most of it,” Joan said, her voice dripping with amusement.

“We’ll just leave that part out of the story,” Lyndis said. “Besides, it’s not every day one is able to dance with the Chosen.”

“Speaking of that,” Joan said. “How’s your foot? Searle really is sorry for that.”

“It’s fine,” Lyndis said with a small shake of her head. “He’s hardly the worst dancer I’ve been with. He’s apologized more than enough as it is.”

“Expect apologies for the next decade or two whenever you see him,” Joan said before glancing towards the Chosen in particular. He was keeping his eyes down and already blushing. Poor guy, she wondered if he’d ever get used to the attention he was getting. “He’s just that kind of person.”

“He’s sweet,” Lyndis said. “Just stay safe, okay? Please give Lord Hardwin our regards.”

“I will,” Joan said before she finally turned and walked away, climbing into her saddle and gently guiding her horse forward towards the other.

“Joan, are you crying?” Bauteut asked.

“No,” Joan said before wiping her eyes. “Maybe a little. I don’t know.”

“I didn’t know you were that close to them,” Bauteut said.

“I wasn’t,” Joan said before glancing back towards them once more. They were mounting off and preparing to leave as well. “It’s just nostalgia. That’s all.”

“What could have been?” Bauteut asked. “If you’d never ended up starting all of this?”

“No,” Joan said. “I had to be who I am to do what I need to do. I would have never become a part of the Crystal Phoenixes if I wasn’t the Hero before. All of this was in place long beforehand.”

“You make it sound like it’s all guaranteed from the beginning,” Zorn said.

“Not everything,” Joan said. “Just some of it. Bits and pieces, here and there. I had to meet Hardwin eventually. The other Chosen as well. Otherwise there would have been no reason for me to come here at all. On an unrelated note…” Joan motioned ahead to where the four Chosen were riding, apart from them. “Why are we back here and they’re up there? Embarrassed to walk with us, now?”

“No,” Bauteut said. “They’re probably having another talk with Hardwin.”

Joan gave a soft sigh and nodded. She was really starting to get annoyed by the sheer number of times they’d discuss things amongst themselves without involving her. She understood why they did it, of course. Chosen matters. Probably didn’t want to panic her, either.

Didn’t make her any less annoyed.

“So, are you happy now?” Zorn asked.

“Happy?” Joan asked.

“I mean, you saved the day,” Zorn said. “Considering how worried you were about all of this, you managed to rescue everyone in the end. Most people would be pretty happy about all that.”

“Oh!” Joan said. “Yeah. I mean, I was happy. AM happy. Just, I guess--”

“Already planning where to go next?” Bauteut asked, cutting her off.

“Maybe,” Joan said.

“You know, some people let themselves revel in a job well done for a few days,” Zorn said.

“I did,” Joan said. “We had a party and everything. I relaxed.”

“Got blessed,” Bauteut said with a roll of her eyes. “Never a dull moment with you, is there?”

“That’s half the fun. Besides, I didn’t do that much,” Joan said.

“That’s a lie,” Zorn said.

“Yeah, it is,” Joan said, unable to keep the gloating glee out of her voice. “I really was pretty amazing. I played Neverdale like, well. Like he played the Hero. It felt wayyyy too good. You don’t think that’s a bad sign, do you?”

“Knowing you, it probably is,” Bauteut said with a sigh. “Just try not to get cocky or hurt.”

“Speaking of getting cocky,” Joan said before glancing back to Zorn. “You and I need to have a little talk.”

“When was I cocky?” Zorn asked.

Joan pulled the ring he had given her and held it out to him. “I didn’t end up using this, but you still never told me. How did you even have something like this? And why all those rings? Also, you should know exactly when you were cocky.”

“It is not cocky to be well prepared,” Zorn said. “And I’m a collector of sorts. Rings are the easiest method for enchanting small spells like that, so they always end up in tombs, in markets, apprentice enchanters make them, all sorts of things. It’s not hard to find them when you look.”

“And you just happened to have some that are good for sneaking around with fae?”

“I have some that are good for sneaking around all kinds of places,” Zorn said.

Joan narrowed her eyes on him. He was hiding something, she knew it. “Why?”

“Why not?” Zorn asked.

“Because you never mentioned it,” Joan said. “I’ve never seen you doing any magic. Not even basic cleaning spells.” She noticed him cringe then and her eyes narrowed on him even further. “I was under the impression that you weren’t much of a fighter and I didn’t think any of your gear was really enchanted. So why the rings?”

Zorn gave a soft sigh. “You’re not going to let this go, are you?”

“She never lets anything go,” Bauteut said. “I’m honestly curious too. I honestly thought you were just Thalgren’s brother-in-law. Are you an enchanter of some kind as well? Do you make those rings?”

“No,” Zorn said. “It’s personal, okay?”

“How is carrying a bunch of magic rings around personal?” Joan asked. “You know, you could have gotten me killed back there. I knew the rituals to hide myself from some of their things, but you almost led them right to me.”

“I also led them away,” Zorn said.

“After leading them to me,” Joan said. “I don’t want any more of those ‘because you never asked’ answers. I’m asking now. Why? Who exactly are you?”

“Fine,” Zorn said. For once, the smile fell off his face and he scowled at her, his voice now spilled with bitterness when he spoke. “I’m not an enchanter. Nor could I be if I wanted. I can’t perform any magic.”

“Wait, what?” Joan asked. “What does that have to do with anything?”

“I can’t do magic of any sort,” Zorn said. “No magic lights, most magic items won’t react to me when I use them. A lot of simple ones don’t function at all when I try to activate them.”

Joan stared at him for a few more moments, struggling to understand that. Finally, she gave a shrug. “I… don’t get it. What does that have to do with rings? Bauteut, does that make sense to you?”

“Not really,” Bauteut said. “Are enchanted rings different in some way?”

Zorn gave a frustrated sigh. “Yeah, this is why I don’t like discussing it. Just leave it alone.”

“I don’t do that much magic,” Joan said. “Just some simple spells, like—”

“I can’t do any, Joan,” Zorn said. “A lot of magic objects are dependent on your ability to activate. Even a little bit. I am unable to use any. Because of that, most magic items I find are entirely useless. Most rings, however, function regardless as they often have the entirety of what they do enchanted into the ring itself. Now, some don’t, but most do. I couldn’t tell you why, you’d need to get the full reason from someone who did enchanting. But because of that, I make it a concentrated effort to collect any and all magic rings I find, assuming I can use them. Some of them don’t do much, some of them are really useful. Some of them are only useful at certain times. Do you understand now?”

Joan shook her head. “Kind of? I understand why you have a lot of rings, but I don’t understand why it’s a big deal.”

Zorn sighed and just shook his head. “Don’t worry about it, Joan. Just don’t.”

“Why?” Joan asked.

“Joan,” Bauteut said firmly before giving her a glare.

“What?” Joan asked before sighing. “Fine, I’ll let it go.”

Zorn just gave a light grunt, but didn’t speak further.

Joan just gave Bauteut a confused look, but the other girl shook her head. She just didn’t get it. What did it matter if he couldn’t do magic? Lots of people couldn’t cast spells, there wasn’t a lot of reason to get upset over it.

The three road in silence for a while before, finally, the Chosen slowed down and rejoined them. “So, we’ve got some good news and bad news,” Korgron said.

Joan cringed, tensing up. “About Hardwin?”

“Yep,” Thalgren said. “We’re going to need to be patient. His little encounter is going slower than he’d like. He does think he has it handled, though. He’s just negotiating some extra help.”

“Okay,” Joan said. “That’s the bad news?”

“Yes,” Korgron said. “He’s going to catch up with us later. The good news is we’ve come to a decision. Since we’re all here, anyway, we’re actually pretty close to the border. We’re going to go find our elf.”

Joan couldn’t help it. She sat up a little taller, her eyes widened and she couldn’t help herself from letting out a little squeak. She quickly tried to cover it up by speaking. “We’re going to go get Neia?”

“Exactly,” Korgron said. “Hardwin will bring us the bow later, but for now we might as well go sort all of this out. I hope you’re excited.”

“Oh, however could we tell if she was?” Bauteut asked with a knowing grin.

“Maybe it’s the way she jumped,” Andreas said.

“Perhaps the way her eyes are glimmering,” Thalgren said.

“The way she keeps bouncing in her saddle,” Zorn said.

“S-shut up!” Joan said, her cheeks burning now. “You two especially, you only joined us. You haven’t earned teasing rights yet.”

“As if that is something any of us earned,” Bauteut said with a light snicker. “You’re really too easy to read sometimes, Joan.”

 

Please rate and review if you can to help the story get more attention. Also I'd love it if you left a comment with your thoughts on the chapter as it really helps me to identify what my readers enjoy reading.

If you'd like to help support me and my writing, please take a look at my Patreon which offers early access chapters as well as monthly voting to determine which of the series will be written next. Alternatively, full copies of my books can be purchased through amazon on my author page. If you'd like to support me directly I now have a ko-fi page.

Finally, if you would like to talk more about the series or talk to me directly, please feel free to join my discord server. I also now have a twitter page where I announce news and releases.

88