My Neighbor’s an Idol
2.8k 6 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Just when he thought his day couldn’t get any worse. His mom had to deliver him that news. Ishi could officially say this would be the worst day of his life.

“You mean I have to live next to her!?” He asked in shock. This sounded like a cruel joke, something that his mother would certainly pull over him. Yet, given the reaction from Rinse, that was far from the case.

“I know, right?” She mistook his question for one in reference to something that he had no care for. “We get to live next to the star idol Rinse Hattori. Isn’t that so amazing?” Amazing was certainly not the word he was thinking to describe this situation.

“All right honey, I’m ready.” His dad came barging out of the front door as well. Ishi would’ve thought his father would still be at work seeing as he just got home from school. But it turned out that the idea of helping an idol move in was worth the vacation time.

The man had on him the family camera. This event was just too special to not make any lasting memories of.

“I see you really get the red carpet treatment.” Ishi quipped to Rinse. “Even from my own family…”

And so, reluctantly, Ishi and his family aided the Hattori family move into their house which was situated next to theirs. He couldn’t help but wonder why exactly they moved here of all places. She said it was for work reasons, that was fine. But surely they could afford a better place than this house here. He wasn’t shy about it, but he never considered his parents to be the ones to seek out anything glamorous.

They were getting things set up in the living room and kitchen as his mom set up the conversation.

“I still find it funny you didn’t realize who she was.” She laughed. “Honestly, you’re even more out-of-touch than us adults.”

“And I think the two of you are a little too old to be enjoying idols.” No one was going to let him live down his ignorance. To be fair, he had probably heard of her in passing. It just wasn’t all that likely he’d commit it to memory since he didn’t care.

“Speaking of recognition.” Rinse’s mom spoke up as she arranged the cutlery. “How was school? Did a lot of student know who you were?”

“It seemed like pretty much everyone else knew who I was.”

“I’m guessing that the rumor mill must’ve picked up on your arrival.” He speculated. “Too bad it never came around to me.” Though that was completely on him, as the boy never cared for the gossip of teenagers.

“So how did you two meet?” Her dad asked them. He had seen them talking from the second floor window.

“It’s kind of funny.” She gingerly laughed as she admitted the truth of their seating arrangement.

“Oh, that’s so sweet.” His mom got excited over the idea. “My little boy got himself a new buddy.”

“Unfortunately.” Ishi and Rinse both said in unison as he got hugged around the neck by his mother.

All the young boy wanted to do was get this over with as quickly as possible so that he could go home and ignore this girl at least for a while. Which is why he was getting to work at a rate that would make every boss disappointed in their employees. Not only was his pace high, but he also made sure to put everything properly. Having to fix any mistakes would only lead to more wasted time.

“And done.” He proudly said as the final piece of decoration was hung up on the wall. “Now can we go home?” Ishi asked his parents.

“My so eager to leave.” Said Rinse’s father. “But don’t be in such a rush, because we actually wanted to offer our gratitude for helping us out today.” That could only mean one thing, and that was them being invited to have dinner with their new neighbors. Now, he didn’t want to have anything more to do with them. However, his parents were overjoyed with the offer and they accepted. So he had no choice to join them because… Well because there was nothing to eat at home and he didn’t know how to cook.

“You really don’t look like you’ve been having a good day.” Rinse talked with him as they sat across the other at the dinner table. Their parents were too busy talking with each other to care to hear their kids.

“You think?” His voice was dripping with sarcasm. “I only just got the bad news that an idol moved in next door. And not only that, but she’s sitting right next to me in class. Now my last year in high school is going to be filled with a bunch people crowding around you while I’m getting annoyed with how superficial they are.”

“Would it kill you to at least try to look at anything positively?” She was getting annoyed with his attitude. “Ever since I’ve met you, you’ve only been real mean.”

“Trust me, that is how I am the entire time. So I’d suggest you get used to it.” He was enjoying the meal her family had made for everyone. While his normal manner left much to be desired. His table manners were impeccable. “Or if you can’t handle it. I’d recommend you move your seat.”

“As if.” She defied him. “I’m not going to let you bully me out of a good time here.”

“Very stubborn, aren’t you?” He said, but it wasn’t as if he wasn’t the stubborn type either. If anything, the boy was even more stubborn than her. So they were going to be in a stalemate when it came to the seating arrangements. “I’m sure eventually I’ll be getting something going my way…”

“Ah, Rinse.” His parent interrupted their conversation. Unsurprisingly, they wanted to hear from her what it was like being an idol. Of course, she politely answered all their questions. So this was a good chance for Ishi to just stop talking and eat. Now this was more his style.

Their dinner felt like it took an eternity, but in reality was just about half an hour. Honestly, the food made by her family was really good, that even he couldn’t deny it.

“Thank you for the food.” He respectfully bowed to her mom as they left the dining table. “And forgive me a little for rushing.”

“It’s no big deal.” She responded. “I understand you kids are always looking for the next thing to do.” That wasn’t technically why he was doing that, but he’ll just let her believe that.

“I guess you’ll all be going now.” Rinse was more than happy to see him out of her house. The sooner, the better.

“Oh, this reminds me.” Of course his dad would have something more to be done. That was why he brought that camera of his. It seemed the parents were more than happy to have a celebratory photo taken so that they could remember this. Their children would’ve preferred this be a day to be forgotten.

Quickly, they all got the shot ready, with everyone grouped up so that no one was left out. Sadly, the teens were forced to stand next to each other in the middle. In response to this setup, the two both stood back-to-back with their arms crossed. Neither of them had smiles on as the picture was taken, a contrast to their parents.

Snap!...

“You know, I think we’ll frame this photo.” His dad said, admiring the picture quality despite the kids’ attitudes.

“Do whatever you want with it.” Ishi replied, retreating to his room. The boy plopped himself face down onto his bed and stayed like that until the next morning.

59