A Star is Born 1
772 10 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chiana had just finished yet another practice session with the producer. With a meet-and-greet coming up, she was nervous about what was to come on that day. Which is why she was overthinking everything as she discussed the plans with her producer.

“I think you need to relax a little.” Teruhisa, her manger, reminded her that this wasn’t the first time she had done an event like this. Her stress came from both the usual source that idols at her fame level felt. That something like this would be a major opportunity for their careers to grow to the next level.

Then there was the problem she had that was unique solely to her. Even though idols maintain a public image, being so close to so many people and shaking their hands was concerning for someone trying to pretend to be someone they aren’t. Chinae was sweating under her wig just thinking about the first time she did one of these events.

“You can’t be honestly saying that to me.” There were very few people aware of her circumstances. Her boss was one of those people seeing as he was very attentive to his employees and their problems. “If they realize I’m just some loner at school, it’s over.” It was either that, or she would suddenly become popular at school, which was also bad. “If people get too close, they’ll know the truth about my family. They’ll know every dirty thing about my-”

“It hasn’t changed how I view you.” He cut her off before the girl went into a spiral of falling into hating herself. “And I can tell it hasn’t changed that Ishi boy’s mind either.”

“You already know?” She was shocked he was aware. Chinae had done a lot to hide her friend’s knowledge about her situation. “How?”

“I know people very well.” He answered vaguely. “How else do you think I got my position?” As someone who never looked out for talent, she had no idea how he worked. To her, it might as well be just magic. “Speaking of, he’s actually here at the studio right now.”

“He is!?” She got way too excited over Ishi’s presence here. So much so that she realized how much she was tipping her hand to her own boss and had to try and salvage her image. “I-I m-mean. That’s cool, but why?”

“Don’t forget he’s good friends with your classmate and coworker, Rinse.” He reminded her of the only reason why the boy would bother go to the studio in the first place.

“Yeah he is.” Not to say that she wasn’t close to him either, but that wasn’t good enough. How could she compare to the star idol of all people? Not to mention that he seemed to care more for his class representative than someone who wasn’t even in his class. “Since I’m done here, I’ll go look for him.”

“Shouldn’t be too hard seeing as he’s watching us right now.” The producer pointed over to the window where the music gets tracked and mixed.

“He’s really good at that.” Ishi commented. There, he was also standing next to his cousin Koto. Not a surprise since that boy was still being dumb and chasing for that girl.

“You should’ve told me that earlier!” She definitely was more self-conscious about her little outburst now that she was aware the boy was there to see the whole thing. Though she was able to maintain her fake idol persona since the younger cousin was here. “Hey, you two seen Rinse yet?”

“No.” Ishi answered through the microphone as they spoke in separate rooms. “Sounds like she was busy recording a demo, so we decided to drop by here first.” She was a little bitter that they were here for the star idol over her. Not that it should be a surprise, the other girl was massively more popular than her. Though she was aware that Ishi wasn’t the type to care about it, this fact did little to give her solace.

Wait a second, if they had been watching the pair while working. Did that mean those two heard the conversation about her real identity? While Ishi was already aware, she was worried about his cousin blabbing about her secret. That young boy didn’t seem like the kind to keep his mouth shut.

“Chiana, if you’re done, then we should hang out together.” Koto still seemed to be referring to her fake persona.

“Um, when did you two come in to watch us?” She had to ask.

“Pretty much the second your boss said we were here.” Ishi was impressed the producer was so adept at knowing when his surroundings changed. They weren’t even in the same room and he knew in an instant.

“Oh, that’s interesting.” She breathed a sigh of relief as she exited the recording booth. “I’m sure Rinse is almost done, so how about we surprise her when she gets out?” her suggestion was welcomed by Koto as the boy sprinted ahead of them towards where that idol should be recording.

“Rinse told me you had a meet-and-greet?” Ishi stuck up a conversation with her since they had some reprieve from Koto’s excitable nature.

“Mmhmm.” She nodded her head to answer. “It’s the second one I’ve done.” Aside from the first one having that unfortunate incident about her getting upset at someone trying to pull her hair, it did wonders for her profile. “Are you thinking of going?” Chinae was glad that her persona could ask these questions without seeming suspicious. He might wonder why the girl would want him to come if it was the real her asking. Especially when she knew he wasn’t into idols.

“I’m sure Koto would love to be there.” Of course, they didn’t get any special treatment, so the boys would have to buy the tickets themselves to come see her. Unfortunately tickets to her event weren’t cheap, as it was highlighted by Rinse also being there. So her status would of course raise demand and prices. “Don’t know if that boy’s going to your booth, but I’ll be sure to drop by for a moment.”

“Thanks.” Her heart was warmed to think that he kept her in his mind, even if his closer friend in Rinse was going to be there. Speaking of, they finally reached that idol’s recording booth, where the girl had finished up her session for the day.

“It’s so wonderful for you guys to drop by.” Rinse greeted them still with high energy despite being exhausted with using up her voice. So she couldn’t talk too much with them at the moment.

“Rinse, if you’re done here, then can we call go out and get something to eat?” Koto was already planning out what they were going to be doing after they left the studio. “You know, Ishi, you can pretend to be on a date with Chiana.” He whispered over to his older cousin, which earned him the side eye glare. What was up with the boys in his life always wanting to pretend they were on double dates? More importantly, why did they always put him with the second choices?

“So, what do you girls say?” Ishi was fine with going out to grab a bite. It had been a long day for both these idols, so surely they’d like to kick back and relax.

“I’d love to.” Rinse jumped into the opportunity. Though unlike what Koto was thinking, she was planning on spending more time with his older cousin.

“Sorry, can’t.” Chiana had to decline the offer. Probably because pretending to be someone she wasn’t for too long would be too much of a challenge. “My dad needs some help with setting up… The computer.”

“He always needs your help.” Rinse was used to hearing her make up excuses. “I swear, it’s like you’re his caretaker. Shouldn’t it be the other way around?” Not to mention, in her mind, shouldn’t Chinae be helping out her dad too?

“Hehe, don’t worry. He’s just a little lost sometimes.” Ishi couldn’t believe this was really tricking Rinse, but it seemed to work as they parted ways.

Chinae waited for them all to leave the studio before she officially departed. The girl didn’t want a repeat of when Ishi came here the first time, where he practically learned of her secret. If it had been any other person, then it would’ve been over for her act.

Then again, that didn’t keep her from feeling bad that he had to stay quiet about the matter. If there was one thing she learned over her time being his friend, he hated lying. So why did he keep this up for her sake? Was it really because of the reason he gave her that night when he called and dropped the bomb?

Right now, it didn’t matter all too much. After all, at the end of the day her secret was still safe from anyone finding out and exposing her. Though it was hard to keep up the act, so when she got home, the girl was planning on getting dressed down and plopping into her bed before cooking up some dinner.

At least, that’s what she was hoping. However, there was one major wrench thrown into her plans as she walked up to her front door. Her heart sank and the girl nearly collapsed when she saw what was left on her door. It was a note that read…

‘I know your secret.’

19