Chapter 45 – Injured
3k 22 165
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So… An egg… When did you even learn that word?” Fern raised her eyebrow as I swallowed the piece of meat I had been chewing.

“I did my research! After taking so long to realize it myself, I delved into the depths of the internet and learned anything and everything there is to know about transgenderness!”

“Uh-huh.” She stabbed a potato with a fork and brought it to her mouth.

“This is great Fern! Now I can support her and help her realize her true self! Just like you did with me!”

“I’m pretty sure I didn’t really do anything, but sure.” She grinned.

I was proud of myself for realizing it so quickly this time. No ignoring the obvious as I had done previously.

“So, what exactly are you going to do anyway? You’re not going to just walk up to her and announce that she is trans, are you?”

“What? No, that would never work!”

Hadn’t worked for me at least.

“I’ve been pondering about it on my way here, and I think she’s very close already, what with her adopted daughters calling her mama.”

“Oh? Instinctual motherly love making her hatch?” Fern raised an eyebrow.

“Yeah, probably something like that. Still not quite sure what to do without being too pushy though…”

I frowned at my remaining potato as I shoved it around with my fork.

“And Troy said you were a selfish prick. Look at you seriously thinking about how to help a total stranger.” She shook her head with a smile.

“Of course, he would say that.” I rolled my eyes. “Are you sure he wasn’t talking about himself?” I stopped toying with the potato and viciously stabbed it with my fork, imagining it to be Troy.

“I’ll let you know that I’m a hero! I’m the paragon of goodness!” I stood up whilst pumping my fist. “To help the innocents, I am prepared to take the fall! To get punched in the face!”

“Yeah yeah, calm down. Don’t forget you used to be a villain’s minion and another one’s girlfriend for a time.” She grinned up at me.

“T-that was temporary! A… an undercover mission! Yeah! My plan all along was to bring both of you to the side of light!” I raised up my fork with the pierced T̶r̶o̶y̶ Potato still attached to it. Then tossed it in my mouth and chewed on it.

“Of course, all according to plan. Maybe not your plan, but a plan. Am I right?” Her grin widened.

I made a face and turned to leave the dining table.

But then my foot caught on something and I found myself faceplanting the ground.

“Augh!”

“Aster!” My girlfriend was by my side in seconds.

“Ooow… Stupid… table leg… thing.” I got up holding my aching nose.

“Are you alright? Your nose is bleeding.”

“Owwww… It hurts. Dammit! This hasn’t happened to me in so long!” I gathered myself and stood up with Fern’s help.

“Wait… Shouldn’t your power have prevented that?” Fern pointed out.

I froze.

It should have. At least from what I understood about it.

“I… I guess this is all part of a bigger picture!” I reasoned. “Yes! My future enemies must have been planning to use something smelly so I had to break my nose now to be immune!” I cheered, before wincing in pain and grabbing my nose again.

“I mean… It could be that. Or your power could be malfunctioning again. Didn’t you say it could do that?”

“But that only happens when I ignore the hints! I didn’t do anything like that this time!”

Like back when I had messed up after assaulting the hero’s base and having a bout with Shadeskip.

“Therefore, this has to be intentional!”

“Well, if you say so… Come on, let’s get you patched up.”

We headed to the washroom where the first-aid expert Fern took care of my poor nose. 

“There you go. Hopefully, it stops bleeding. Worst case scenario, the heroes have a healer, so you can ask them for a favor.”

“Right… Sure.”

We were about to leave the room when my big toe caught on the side of the cabinet below the sink.

“Ooooooooooooooow!”

I started jumping in a spot whilst holding my poor toe.

“Aster! Again?!”

“Stupid thing! Why is it down there! It’s like a trap!”

“You’re exaggerating… And again, shouldn’t your power have prevented that?”

“Ughhh… I don’t know! My power is betraying me! Maybe being so lucky for so long has to balance out now!”

Fern shook her head and we headed back to the living room, with me wincing from both the toe and my nose.

“You know, maybe, your power is just trying to tell you not to take it for granted. Miranda did say you were always a clumsy mess. So, what if your power is just tired of constantly protecting you from yourself?”

“W-what?!” I looked at her. ”B-but that’s not fair!”

“Come on now.” She gave me one-armed hug as we made out way to the couch. “Since your power seems to be boycotting you, isn’t this the perfect opportunity to show you what is life like for us mortals?” She grinned at me. “It’s probably good for you, and that’s why this is happening.”

“Not faaaaair!”

For some reason, a lot of people thought the power-stealing is permanent. At the same time though... You would think at least five people would be out for blood for having their powers stolen by now. Hmm.
Anyway, as always, obligatory plug for my patreon where you can read ahead.

165