07 – Basic Necessities, Part II
1.5k 5 60
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Touching Ezme’s wings was an experience that gave Amara goosebumps. The feathers themselves were soft to the touch and they radiated heat. When she stuck her hand deeper between the feathers, they warmed her hand like a fresh cup of coffee.

And like holding a warm cup of coffee on a chilly morning, the air around her suddenly seemed a little colder. It made her want to wrap the angel’s wing around her like a blanket.

Except that’d be highly inappropriate. Amara snorted in her mind.

As if Ezme could hear what Amara was thinking, she pouted at Amara with flushed cheeks. “Are you done yet?”

Amara smiled wryly at Ezme as she moved her fingers across the vanes, satisfyingly feeling them bounce back as she stroked them. “What if I’m not?”

“Insufferable as always.” The angel’s pink lips twitched into a smile and snorted as she drew her wing out of Amara’s reach.

An awkward silence descended between them. Amara coughed. “So what now?”

“Now we wait for the go-ahead. Shouldn’t take too long, but we have some spare time.” Ezme looked to Amara. “I can answer your questions about divine power if you want. Or we can get that bed you wanted.

“Bed.” Amara replied instantly. If she was going to spend a thousand years here, she should do so in comfort. “After all, I shouldn’t need to use divine powers or anything for the declaration of the armistice, right?”

“Nope. Most likely it will just be the usual taunting and threatening followed by the overseer’s ‘do-you-swear, bla-bla-bla’. Upon which you shall answer…?” Ezme smirked playfully and pointed at Amara with both hands.

Amara feigned a lovestruck expression. “I do. Till death do us part.”

Ezme giggled. “Tehehehe! Gold star for you!”

Amara laughed as they went to the pile of catalogues and started browsing through them. As Amara could have anything she wished from them, she eventually decided upon a bed - thanks to Ezme’s suggestion. Which could best be described as what she imagined royalty or high nobility in a fantasy world would use.

Far larger than needed - or what seemed practical, intricate designs everywhere, canopy - all of it very much over the top. And by her standards from the modern world of Earth, a bit tasteless. But she thought it would be fun and it certainly looked comfortable from the drawing. 

With Ezme’s help she decided upon several other things - wardrobes for her new clothes, desks, tables and chairs. They even decided to make one of the other small rooms into a bathroom. She got a huge bath - which seemed more like a square shaped pool, as it took up half the space in the room.

As Ezme was done conjuring everything Amara wanted for the two rooms out of thin air, Amara decided to test her bed. She leaped onto it, arms wide open and bounced satisfyingly on it as the bed creaked gently.

She smirked as she looked up at the canopy. “You know, this is exactly how I imagined a princess’s bed.”

“That’s because it is.” (Ezme)

Amara’s face dropped, and stared at Ezme expressionlessly. “Didn’t you create it?”

“Heavens, no!” Ezme laughed and waved her arms. “Do you have any idea how bothersome that would be?”

Amara’s jaw fell. “You stole it?!”

“So what? She can get another. It’s not like she can’t afford it.”(Ezme)

Amara couldn’t resist as she started laughing. She brushed a tear from her eyes once she calmed down. “You know, if anything I expected angels to have some kind of moral compass.”

A thought crossed Amara’s mind. “...What about the clothes?”

Ezme shrugged with a wry smile.

“Them too huh.” Amara frowned. “Wait, did you steal a bath too?”

“A section on a spa resort that shall remain unnamed will apparently be going through some unscheduled maintenance.” Ezme beamed proudly.

“I see.” Amara said dejectedly as she put her palm against her forehead, yet found it amusing at the same time. She had never stolen anything in her life before; other than once, by accident.

“If you don’t like it, you can give it back yourself.” Ezme smiled at Amara.

Yeah, like I know how to do that. And even if I knew how I got a feeling I’m not strong enough.

Amara sighed.

“Looks like you’re stuck with them then. Don’t sweat it, I’m not heartless enough to steal something from people whose lives would be seriously affected.” (Ezme)

Amara laughed and spoke theatrically. “An angel of the lord, shamelessly robbin’ the hood.”

“Certainly, an angel has nothing to be ashamed about.” Ezme shrugged her shoulder.

[The time has come.](God)

As the interrupting God's voice ran through her head, Amara felt her entire body shudder from it’s force. Unlike when she had heard him in person, this time she felt like it was something internal - her body’s shuddering was a reflex, instead of the vibrating force that caused her to shake in the throne room.

Ezme froze up beside her at the same time and nodded. Seems like she heard him too.

As Ezme waved at her, Amara rose from the bed and followed the angel to the large room outside.

Ezme raised her hand and created a rift. This time however, she could clearly see something.

The space in front of them split vertically, like a water balloon bursting in slow motion as the rift grew. From inside the rift shined a bright golden light. Glowing particles of gold and silver - like a cloud of dust - were slowly flowing out in a steady stream around the edges as they rippled over each other, over and around the border before disappearing from sight.

Amara frowned and glanced at Ezme. “Why can I see it?”

“Oh, I made it that way. After all, you gotta arrive in style.” Ezme smiled brightly as she turned her head and looked back at Amara, the light from the portal casting shadows over her face. “This is what your Realm Gate looks like, by the way.”

Amara blinked but wasn’t allowed the time to answer. Ezme raised her fist, like she had done earlier, but this time with a serious look in her eyes.

“Now remember, be strong, graceful, confident, and - “(Ezme)

“ - Never show weakness. Got it.” Amara sighed and stared at the rift for a few seconds before stepping forward.

60