34 – Laying Claims
970 9 53
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ezme’s mood began improving. Sleeping seemed to do the angel wonders, as her eyes began to regain their focus from what previously had been nothing but a dead stare.

Amara first realized Ezme began feeling better when she started asking questions. Mostly related to the different tech that was lying around the room, as well as the drinks and edibles that Amara provided. The angel’s curiosity was unending.

“What are those wires for?” (Ezme)

“They provide power for the electronic devices from the battery in the other room.” Amara explained patiently.

“A battery?” Ezme cocked her head.

“Something that can store power for later use and helps to provide a continuous supply of power.” (Amara)

“Can’t you just do it with magic?” Ezme asked.

“I can, but the level of power needs to be quite precise. You remember the first time I powered my laptop? It fried because I couldn’t keep it at the right level.” Amara explained. “Besides, by setting it up this way, I can turn my attention to other things. I only need to store up power in the battery at regular intervals.”

“That’s really smart.” Ezme said in awe.

However, the questions related to the stuff Amara had stolen weren't the only kind of questions.

“How did you increase your power this much? You should be reaching your cap at your current level of power, and the closer you get to the cap the slower your growth gets. How did you accomplish this?” Ezme asked inquisitively.

Amara knit her eyebrows. “I can’t tell you.”

Amara saw a hint of disbelief and anger flash in Ezme’s eyes. “What do you mean you can’t? This could turn the tide of the war! You wouldn’t even need to be a champion anymore! So how-”

Amara raised her hand to make Ezme pause. “I know. But Tom said I’m not allowed to talk about it, so I can’t.” 

Amara let out a sigh before continuing. “But I think you can figure it out. My circumstances are...unique, after all.”

Ezme’s expression was filled with concern when she heard that God had forbidden Amara from speaking on the subject. Ezme sank deeply into thought, but in the end the angel nodded before responding. “Okay.”

One of the sad aspects with Ezme’s improved mood was that she was getting self-conscious again. Whenever Amara hugged her, Ezme would accept it at first before she realized how close they were and then struggle out of Amara’s arms with an embarrassed expression. At least, the times she succeeded.

“Let me go!” Ezme exclaimed while trying to squirm out of Amara’s grasp.

“No way. Not happening.” Amara said with a wide grin and held the angel tighter.

“Hmpf!” Ezme pouted and let out a snort as she resigned herself to Amara’s embrace with twitching wings, but couldn’t hide the slight upward curve of her lips.

Amara smiled in satisfaction. Victory.

This is the first time Ezme smiled since returning.

 

_____________

 

Tending to Ezme had quickly become a routine. Amara would encourage Ezme to sleep, and while she slept Amara would prepare food or get new things for them to watch. When Ezme woke up, Amara would stick close to the angel and share her new creations or hauls with her.

After Ezme’s first nap, Amara had suggested that Ezme would use the bed to sleep in, and the angel had quickly learned the appeal of pillows and blankets.

Amara smiled and silently climbed off the bed as the soft snoring came from beside her.

What should I make for her this time? 

Mom used to put peeled pear pieces in the oven and pour melted chocolate over them. Easy, delish.

Amara walked to the adjacent room and put on the oven. The first time she left Ezme to sleep alone, Amara had gone on another snitching spree to get more carpets. Now there were enough of them so she didn’t have to worry about making noise as she left the bedroom.

Amara used Farsight and Realm Gate to snatch pears from a tree in somebody’s backyard on Earth. 

While Amara was peeling the pears she heard the doors open outside. 

Who the hell would come here? Ezme’s already here.

They’re probably here for her.

Amara quickly put down the peeler and pear she was holding and ran out of the room.

Of course. The Bitch is here, to drag Ezme’s spirit through shattered glass. Again.

When Alarice turned her cold expression towards Amara when she noticed her coming out of the alcove. The angel raised an eyebrow as she appraised Amara with her gaze.

If you didn’t look so condescending I’d take that expression for surprise.

“What do you want?” Amara asked sharply.

Alarice lowered her eyebrow and let out a sigh. 

Well, I don’t want to deal with you either. So bugger off.

“Where’s Ezme?” Alarice asked coldly.

“What do you want with her?” Amara instantly replied.

Alarice snorted. “That is no concern of yours.”

Amara frowned and crossed her arms. “I’ve made it my concern.” 

Alarice narrowed her eyes as she looked at Amara. Their staring match continued in silence until a sound reached them from the bedroom.

“Hhhrgh.” (Ezme)

Alarice slowly turned her gaze to the bedroom with a furrowed brow. As soon as she began to step towards the bedroom, Amara went ahead and blocked her path.

Alarice stopped with anger flashing in her eyes. “Out of the way, mortal.”

“You don’t need to see her. I’ll tell her you came by.” (Amara)

Alarice frowned. “Do not think you can keep me from checking up on my little sister.”

Amara snorted as she replied sarcastically. “Oh really? She’s your little sister? I have a hard time seeing how you actually care for her.”

Alarice’s eyes narrowed. “I care for my siblings. Especially Ezme. More than you will ever know.”

“You care? Really?” Amara replied quirkily. “Well, bang-up job so far. Your ‘care’ did wonders for her. Especially the deal with making her kill mortals. ”

Alarice wrinkled her nose as anger rose in her voice. “It was necessary. Ezme needs to grow, or she will suffer in the future.”

“And killing the mortals? How was that necessary?” Amara spat out.

Alarice snorted. “I have neither reason nor patience to tell you that.”

Amara finally saw red when her anger boiled over. Using Realm Gate she brought the Stinky Stick from her armory. Alarice raised an eyebrow as Amara conjured the Realm Gate, but the moment she saw the staff in Amara’s hand, her expression grew furious.

“You-” (Alarice)

Poison Cloud!

A green gas streamed out of the end of the staff like mist out of a fog cannon. Within moments the thick cloud blocked Amara’s sight of the angel. Amara stepped back to avoid getting close to the cloud, which seemed to disperse very slowly. 

Amara had no time to react when Alarice darted at her through the green fog. The moment she realized that Alarice was coming at her Amara had already been sent flying towards the wall, with the bones in her arm and shoulder broken after receiving Alarice’s sweeping arm.

Landing on the floor next to the wall the stabbing pain in her arm and shoulder was registered and Amara grit her teeth.

[Ding!]

Spoiler

Pain Tolerance has reached level 5!

[collapse]

Amara sensed a vomit-inducing stench that burned in her nose before she saw two feet in front of her and looked up to see Alarice stare down at her with furious eyes. “Did you really think that you could hurt me?”

A chuckle escaped Amara as she grinned. “Not really. It was about making a statement I guess.”

Alarice snorted in disgust. “Then consider my response a warning. Keep your distance from Ezme.”

Like hell I will.

“No matter what, I am Ezme’s sister, and you are but a temporary existence. Know your place.” (Alarice)

Alarice turned her gaze towards the bedroom, seemingly considering going to Ezme. However when she turned away from Amara she instead left the chambers altogether, and Amara heard the bronze doors close behind the angel. 

Amara grit her teeth as she sat up and imagined the bones setting in the correct places.

Divine Regeneration.

[Ding!]

[Ding!]

Spoiler

Divine Regeneration has reached level 2!

Divine Regeneration has reached level 3!

[collapse]

Amara sighed in relief as the pain dissipated and watched the poison cloud that floated in the room. Strangely enough it still wasn’t dispersing, but instead mostly sticking to itself in a single cloud.

Better get rid of that. It really does stink.

Amara used Farsight, Realm Gate and Explosive Decompression in succession to get rid of the cloud. She used it a couple more times even after she couldn’t see any of the gas remaining.

Amara leaned her head back against the wall and rubbed her healed shoulder and arm. She saw that the Stinky Staff had been shattered when Alarice struck her, the wooden splinters scattered across the floor.

Probably wasn’t going to use that anymore anyway.

Amara noticed that Ezme’s head was peeking out from the bedroom, with an anxious expression on her face.

Dammit. How much did she see?

“Hey.” Amara called out to her.

Ezme tentatively came out and crouched next to Amara. “That was stupid. Reckless.”

“I’ll face any foe for you, Fluffles.” Amara smiled wryly and winked.

Ezme blushed slightly and looked away. “Insufferable.”

After a few moments Ezme turned back to look at Amara with concern. “Are you okay?”

Amara smiled as she responded. “I’m fine. But a kiss would make me better.”

Ezme’s cheeks grew red and she quickly responded. “No.”

Amara gave the angel a dejected look. “Why not?”

“You stink.” (Ezme)

Ah. Crap.

Amara let out a sigh. “I’ll get a bath and change of clothes. Why don’t you go back to sleep?”

Ezme nodded and stood up to walk back to the bedroom. Amara watched her wings disappear behind the alcove as she thought.

So if I don’t stink, it’s alright?

 

 

____________

By limiting the mental image of Levitation on herself, Amara managed to sneakily get on the bed and lie down next to Ezme. Putting her elbow on the bed and resting her cheek in her palm, Amara peered down at Ezme’s sleeping face that was regularly letting out muted snores.

Ezme’s pink lips were slightly open, and Amara could see a wet patch on the pillow below her mouth.

Adorable.

Amara smiled and carefully picked up a loose lock of platinum hair from Ezme’s face and put it behind the angel’s exposed ear. 

Ezme stirred in her sleep and rubbed her face in the pillow, but the angel frowned as her face contacted the wet patch. Letting out a long sigh, she slowly opened her eyes. 

Once Ezme noticed that Amara was right in front of her she blinked a couple times as her eyes focused on Amara’s face.

Amara smiled wryly as she watched Ezme wake up. “Good morning.”

Ezme’s cheeks flushed slightly and blinked several times as she narrowed her eyes. “What are you up to?”

Amara smiled as she answered. “Watching you sleep like an angel.”

“Very funny. Insufferable mortal.” Ezme tried to hide her face in the pillow, but once again encountered the wet patch. Realizing what it was she peered up at Amara, who smiled even wider, which in turn made her face flush with embarrassment.

“Why were you watching me sleep, huh?! Got nothing better to do?!” Ezme exclaimed angrily to save her pride. “You creep!”

Amara smiled and turned her eyes to the canopy to feign thoughtfulness. “Well, there’s one thing that I’d like to do I suppose.” Amara turned her eyes back to Ezme. “But I wanted to wait for you to wake up first.”

[Ding!]

Spoiler

Acting has reached level 8!

[collapse]

“Then go do that instead!” Ezme turned her head to stare up at the canopy and pouted.

Amara smiled as she looked down at Ezme. “Are you sure?”

“Yes!” Ezme said while avoiding Amara’s gaze.

Amara smiled wryly. “Alright then.”

Permission has been granted. Full advance!

Amara leaned over and approached steadily as she put her fingers on Ezme’s cheek, turning the angels face to her.

Ezme’s confusion was apparent on her face as her eyes momentarily met with Amara’s during her approach. “What are you-”

Amara sealed the angel’s pink lips with her own before she pressed her tongue past them. Amara noticed that Ezme had completely frozen in surprise underneath her. Amara stroked Ezme’s jaw with her fingertips as she explored the angel’s mouth with her tongue before pulling away, a small strand of saliva connecting their lips.

Dammit. How embarrassing.

Amara felt her cheeks heat up. Stay calm. Strong, graceful, confident. Never show weakness.

Amara moved back to resting her cheek against her palm and smiled as she looked down at Ezme with a gentle gaze. 

Nawh. Ezme.exe has stopped working.

The angel was stuck with a surprised expression on her face. Her eyes blinked at regular intervals.

I should’ve set up a camera!

Ezme blinked repeatedly as her face suddenly grew beet red. After a moment Ezme turned her red face to look at Amara with wet eyes. “Y-y-y-you-y-y-you…”

Amara smiled brightly and ran her fingers over her thin lips. “Yes, doing that was indeed better than watching you sleep.” 

Ezme began shaking and her face was getting so red that Amara began to wonder whether the lack of blood elsewhere would have any health implications for her.

However, Amara quickly grew concerned with her own health instead when Ezme’s divine screech burst her eardrums.

 

53