48 – Brothers
867 9 49
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Looks like heaven is busy. Here’s another.

...and the condescending look. Of course.

Amara sighed as she passed another angel on her way to Morpheus’ workshop. She had said hello to the first two, but only received snorts and patronizing looks in response. After that Amara didn’t bother greeting anyone as she realized that they would either ignore her presence, or look at her in a way that made it clear they weren’t looking for a friendly greeting.

Pisses me off.

Whatever. I don’t need their approval. 

Amara moved the basket containing the thermos, cups and biscuits to her other hand and continued walking until she saw two angels at an intersection. The first angel was tall with broad shoulders and brown hair, while the shorter of the pair had black hair. They appeared to be having a telepathic conversation as she couldn’t hear either of them speak, yet the smaller angel nodded as if agreeing with a statement made by the larger angel.

As she was walking past them, the skinnier angel spoke. “Well, well. If it isn’t the champion that our little sister chose.”

Amara raised an eyebrow as she stopped and looked at the black haired angel who spoke smugly. “You want something?”

“Yes, well, I’m curious. For you see, Ezme was...absentminded after her deployment as a rearguard.” The angel said with a smile and cocked his head.

Amara frowned. Absentminded? That’s what you’re calling it? 

And why does this jerk seem glad about it?

“Yet, she recovered surprisingly quickly. No doubt, you played a part in her recovery. What did you do?” The black haired angel cocked his head.

Amara snorted. “I didn’t do anything.”

“I have a hard time believing that.” The angel replied with a smug smile while squinting his eyes.

Amara sighed. “I was there for her. Nothing else.” 

“I see.” The angel replied. “Then when the armistice ends and you’re not...there for her anymore, she will be quite helpless. What a shame.”

Amara frowned as her anger flared up and replied sarcastically. “Thanks for the vote of confidence.”

“You’re welco-” The angel began before he was interrupted by the large angel next to him.

[Keep such thoughts to yourself, Cato. Your jealousy of Ezme is becoming more apparent.] (?)

Cato frowned as he turned his gaze to his brother. “Why would I be jealous of her, Biradol? For keeping a mortal as a pet?”

[You know full well what the source of your attitude against our sister is.] Biradol turned his eyes to Amara with a faint smile before his deep voice sounded in her head again. [Be on your way, champion.]

Amara glanced at Cato who appeared to be holding back his anger, before she nodded to Biradol and continued on her way.

Jeez. What the hell was that jerk’s problem?

Oh well. At least that Biradol seemed alrigh-

Amara’s thoughts were interrupted by the deep voice that sounded in her head.

[I’m grateful that you helped our sister, mortal. I would advise you to keep your distance from her, but if you do not, then keep the trust she has placed in you. You will not escape the reckoning that awaits you should you fail her.] (Biradol)

Amara turned her head to look back in the direction where she had met the two angels, but she couldn’t see anyone.

A warning? Break her heart and I’ll break your neck? 

How cute.

Amara smiled wryly and continued until she reached Morpheus’ workshop. As she entered, Amara heard how something crashed against the floor in the side room where she had first met Morpheus. Moments later, the angel she expected showed up in the alcove.

“Ah! Champion! Welcome!” Morpheus said with a bright smile as he looked at Amara, before he cocked his head in confusion. “You’ve grown quite a bit stronger since we last met. But I thought it wasn’t that long...how long has it been since you last came here?”

Amara smiled and shrugged. “I was here a year ago.”

“A year? But that’s a bit too quick…” Morpheus furrowed his brow in contemplation before he shook his head. “Anyway, what brings you by so soon?” 

Amara raised an amused eyebrow. “A year is considered soon?”

“Well, yes.” Morpheus said simply before he considered. “I suppose it’s not for a mortal.”

“Maybe, not for humans anyway.” Amara shrugged in response.

“I see. Then-” Morpheus interrupted himself as his eyes lit up in realization before his expression quickly turned depressed, and directly after replaced by confusion. “You don’t seem angered anymore.”

“Well…” Amara sighed and put the basket on one of the tables before leaning against it. “I’m still a bit angry, but I don’t think you’re the one responsible for it.”

“Even though I suggested using a mortal as champion?” Morpheus asked in surprise with a cocked head. 

“You didn’t make the decision to use a mortal though, did you?” Amara looked at him. “Besides, I can see why using a mortal would be beneficial from the angels’ point of view.” 

“...I see.” Morpheus replied as his lips curved into a gentle smile. “In any event, I’d like to apologize. For what you’ve been put through...and have yet to face.”

Amara waved her hand. “Don’t talk like that, you’ll make me depressed.”

“I apologize.” Morpheus said apologetically. “I don’t understand mortals that well.”

Amara shrugged with a wry smile. “I don’t think you’re alone, it seems like angels might struggle with that in general. Sophelia seems to be the only one who can understand us well. Even Ezme, despite having interest in mortals, doesn’t seem to have a great understanding yet.”

“Ezme?” Morpheus cocked his head in confusion.

“Yeah, Ezme.” As Amara looked at Morpheus, she realized that he couldn’t recall who Ezme was. “You know, the angel who came with me before.”

“Ah. I must have remembered it wrong...I thought she was called Fluffles.” Morpheus said with a bright smile. 

Amara burst out laughing and had to hold her stomach with her arm. Oh dear. That’s going to stick, isn’t it?

“...Did I say something amusing?” Morpheus asked in a confused tone.

“Nope. Not at all.” Amara wiped the tears from the corner of her eyes. 

“I see.” Morpheus’ confusion didn’t dissipate as he looked at Amara, before his face turned troubled as he contemplated. 

“Is something wrong?” Amara asked as she noticed the angel’s change in expression.

“...I can’t seem to recall your name, champion.” Morpheus admitted.

The corner of her mouth twitched as Amara looked at Morpheus. I can’t take this personally. He really has a hard time with names it seems.

“It’s Amara. You don’t have to remember if you can’t. Ezme’s the only one who calls me by name anyway.” Amara sighed and waved her hand.

“...I apologize. I’ll try to remember in the future.” Morpheus replied apologetically.

Amara shrugged before she looked at Morpheus. “Do all angels have issues with remembering names, or what? You’re not the first one that doesn’t call me by name.” 

“...I can't speak for my siblings, but I think it’s one of the side effects of living long lives.” Morpheus considered before he began his explanation. “We eventually reach a point where we can only remember what we consider to be important.”

Amara raised an eyebrow. “Names aren’t important to you?”

“Should they be?” Morpheus cocked his head. “If you had a different name, would you really be a different person from who you are now?”

Amara didn’t respond as she contemplated, giving enough time for Morpheus to continue before she could come up with an answer.

“Mortals enter the cycle of reincarnation when they die. Although they lose their memories and their name, they will for the most part be the same person they were before. For me, a mortal’s name is like...the garments you wear. It can change over time, but doesn’t change the person who wears them.” Morpheus explained.

Huh.

“Makes sense I suppose.” Amara eventually answered, before she looked at Morpheus. “Then do you remember the names of your siblings?”

“...Mostly, I do not.” Morpheus admitted. “But I don’t meet my siblings much either. Few have reason to meet me, other than to leave their weapons or armor for repairs.”

“Doesn’t that make you feel lonely?” Amara asked.

“Lonely? Why would I be?” Morpheus cocked his head.

Amara raised an eyebrow in surprise. He’s not lonely, yet he’s delighted when people come by? Maybe he doesn’t even realize.

“I don’t know. Don’t you want to talk to people from time to time?” Amara asked.

“Well...I suppose I do, but there’s nobody who I can talk about my work with apart from Sophelia or Biradol. The others tend to be...disinterested.” Morpheus replied.

Amara’s lips curved into an amused smile. The troubles of a nerd.

“Well, you could always talk with me about them.” Amara shrugged.

“I would, but…” Morpheus’ troubled tone faded.

“The terms of the armistice, I know. But once I’ve learnt more, I’d be happy to discuss your work with you.” Amara said with a smile.

“I’d be delighted if that was to happen.” Morpheus smiled in response. “There are some things I wouldn’t be able to talk about regardless of how much you know, but otherwise a conversational partner would be most welcome.”

Amara looked past Morpheus to the side room that he had emerged out of when she entered. “Is what you’re working on in there something like that?” 

Morpheus nodded. “Indeed.”

Amara tilted her head. “Must be some super-secret technology you’re working on if you can’t talk about it.”

Morpheus’ smile turned strained. “Something like that.”

“Hmm.” Amara's smile turned amused. I wonder what he’s working on. It’s probably for the war, right? Are angels making nukes or something?

“Must be something that you’re hoping will change the scales of the war, huh?” (Amara)

Morpheus averted his eyes as he seemed troubled on how to respond. Amara’s smile grew as she waved her hand. “Let’s talk about something else.”

Maybe I can manage to sneak in some time and have a closer look. If it's something good, I could even develop my own versions.

“That would be best.” Morpheus agreed. 

An awkward silence descended upon them before Amara pushed off the table. She opened the basket, putting out the two cups and thermos with coffee, as well as a box of biscuits on the table.

“What’s this?” Morpheus asked curiously. 

“Coffee and biscuits. Thought you might like it.” Amara replied as she poured coffee into the cups. 

“Angels don’t need to eat or drink to survive. Speaking of which, I don't think you do either anymore?” Morpheus asked with a cocked head.

“True, but these aren’t to sate thirst or hunger. It’s purely for the taste.” Amara replied with a wry smile. And for the caffeine. 

Amara held out one of the cups to Morpheus. “Try it.”

Morpheus looked at the contents with curiosity before he raised the cup and began gulping it down. Amara snickered as she watched the angel down the cup in a single go.

Morpheus stared blankly in front of him and blinked repeatedly. “Oh. Oh my.”

Amara laughed before she began refilling his cup. “You’re not supposed to down it like that, you’re supposed to drink it in sips.”

“I see.” Morpheus said with a smile as he stared at the fresh coffee being poured into his cup with wide open eyes. “What a curious concoction. It tickles the mind.”

Amara smiled wryly. “That’s caffeine for you.”

“Caffeine? I see. Most curious.” Morpheus took a smaller sip of the coffee in his cup and looked around, clearly more alert than he had been before. Maybe even a bit too alert.

I probably shouldn’t give him a third cup. 

Amara put the thermos in the basket before she waved at the box with biscuits. “You should try these as well. You might like them.”

 

Together they enjoyed the coffee and biscuits before Amara remembered one of the reasons she came to the workshop. 

Turning to look at Morpheus she asked. “Do you have anything in here that can store divine power? Like Sophelia’s sword?” 

Morpheus frowned. “No, I don’t think-”

As the angel came to a realization, he looked to one of the shelves by the wall and walked over. He brought back an item that looked like a ball made of gold, with decorative carvings on it. “This would be the only one that’s currently present.”

Amara took the ball and looked at it. Appraisal.

[Ding!]

Spoiler

Appraisal Result

Abilities & Effects: -

Divine Power: 0 / 150 000 000

[collapse]

Amara frowned and looked at Morpheus. “It doesn’t have any enchantments on it?”

“Not yet. I don’t know what purpose it will have, I just made it because Sophelia requested it.” Morpheus replied. “She’ll likely enchant it herself when she needs it.”

Huh. Amara turned the ball in her hand before she asked. “I’ll take this with me.”

Morpheus looked troubled. “I don’t know if that’s…”

“I won’t enchant it, just study it. If she needs it, she can just come by and get it from me or I can return it, right?” Amara asked as she looked at the angel.

Morpheus considered for a while before he nodded. “She knows you have it now. Sophelia will get it from you when she needs it.”

He was using telepathy? Damn, I wouldn’t have realized unless he said that.

“Great. I’d say I owe you one, but I think you guys still owe me.” Amara said with an amused smile.

Morpheus chuckled. “That’s likely the case.”

Amara opened the basket to put the ball in when Morpheus spotted the thermos. “Could I have more of this...beverage?” 

Amara raised an eyebrow as she looked at Morpheus. “Are you sure? Having too much can be…”

“What? Dangerous?” Morpheus chuckled. “I’m an angel, remember? Even if it’s poisonous, it won’t be enough to harm me.”

Amara considered before she sighed and took out the thermos and poured the last of the coffee into his cup. “Don’t blame me if something happens.”

The angel let out another chuckle. “I’ll keep your advice of caution in mind. By the way, if I wanted to get this beverage in the future…?”

Amara shrugged. “I’ll bring some when I come by next time. Or you could come by my room to have coffee there with me and talk about enchanting.”

“Ah, thank you! ” Morpheus replied with a smile. “I feel as if my thoughts are more focused after drinking it, and-”

Ahem!” (Ezme)

Amara flinched as she heard the sharp cough. She followed Morpheus’ gaze to the door where Ezme stood expressionless, with crossed arms and luminously glaring eyes. 

Why is she angry? 

Amara realized that Ezme was glaring at the cup in Morpheus’ hand, before her piercing eyes turned to Amara. In an instant, her back broke out in a cold sweat.

“Hey…” She began before Ezme cut her off.

“What are you doing?” Ezme asked stiffly.

“Ah! Welcome, sister.” Morpheus exclaimed in delight and smiled at his sibling. “We’re enjoying this wonderful concoction the champion brought with her. I don’t remember what it’s called, but it tickles your mind-”

“Ah. Coffee.” Ezme turned her eyes from Morpheus back to Amara. “I see. I see.”

Amara back felt even colder as more sweat emerged. What did I do?

“What brings you here, Fluffles?” Morpheus asked with a smile.

At any other moment Amara would have smiled or laughed, but as she could tell that Ezme was angry, she knew the timing was beyond bad.

...Crap.

Ezme blinked repeatedly as she looked at Morpheus silently, before she slowly turned her head to stare at Amara.

[Ding!]

Spoiler

Fear Suppression has reached level 11!

[collapse]
49