SS43 – Alarice – A Sister’s Duty, Part 2
590 13 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Announcement
Content Warning: Death

 

Far below, the demon lord rolled over onto his side and coughed repeatedly to get rid of the blood filling its lungs. It had been a long battle; Alarice only knew that it had lasted for months, judging by the repeated cycles of daylight and darkness. Of course, a few of them could have been because their battle simply moved them to the side of the world that faced away from the sun, though most cases probably weren’t.   

Landing close to her opponent, one of her legs gave in as soon as she put her weight on it. Instinctively spreading her wings for a quick flap, she managed to stand upright as adrenaline once again filled her veins and heightened her focus. But as the moments went by without anyone taking advantage of her mistake, Alarice let out a faint sigh and returned her eyes to the demon lord that had barely managed to get up on all fours. 

Damn. I was careless. 

I should know better by now.

Alarice briefly considered healing her injured leg before deciding against it. Until her opponent was dead for certain, wasting what little divine power she had left on something that trivial was the height of foolishness.

With gentle beats from her wings to lessen the weight on her injured leg, Alarice walked towards the demon lord. While she approached, his cruel, unfocused eyes turned in her direction.

Predictable.

[Boom!]

Kicking the ground with her uninjured leg, Alarice dashed to the side well in time for the ball of murky dark mass to miss her. Spreading her wings to reduce her velocity with a single beat, she landed again and continued her approach on foot as if nothing happened.

Her opponent let out a dark, guttural laugh, which was interrupted by the sound of coughing and vomiting as the demon lord had to expel blood from his throat once again.

He shouldn’t have any divine power left now. But it won’t stop him from trying one last trick before I end him.

A battle between two divine beings could either be short or long. The short ones were when at least one of the fighters was either inexperienced or clearly weaker than the opponent. 

But if the two fighting were of somewhat equal strength, it became a battle of attrition. Both would try to expend the opponent’s divine power faster than they spent their own. And the loser would be whoever ran out of divine power first.

Like the one before Alarice.

The demon lord gasped for air as he leaned back, sitting on his knees while holding his chest as he turned to look at Alarice with a large smile on his face. “Well, looks like I lost. Again.”
Alarice clenched her jaw as she avoided looking at her opponent’s face, instead choosing to stare at the neck she was going to cut off. 

“Not exactly surprising, though. You always were stronger…but I’m not far off now.” The demon lord let out a chuckle and cocked his head as Alarice drew closer. “I’ve missed you, sister.”

Alarice could hear how her glove was squeezed as her grip around her bident tightened. 

Don’t talk. Just kill him. It.

It’s not him.

”Oh dear.” A mischievous smile spread on the demon’s face. A familiar smile despite the different face. A smile that had made Alarice furious countless times in the past. And yet, it was a smile she was holding onto hope to see once again. 

But it was one she had desperately hoped not to see today.

When the demon continued, the gleam in his eyes momentarily overlapped with Alarice’s memories, as the hatred behind them was nowhere to be seen. “Now that’s an interesting face-” 

SHUT UP!!” Alarice roared as her thoughts came aloud, her voice strong enough to make the demon’s hair flail away from her as she quickened her pace while raising a magical barrier. 

{“...-an interesting expression, sister-...”}

{“...-that’s an interesting face, I wonder-...”}

{“...-that face! I bet-...”}

{“...-wouldn’t be making that face if you were honest, Rissy!”}

“Sorry.” The demon lord grinned as he raised his shoulders and showed his palms. Glancing at her as she was only a few steps away, his tone turned mischievous. “Must be one of the habits I got to keep, Rissy. You’re just too fun to t-”

{”...-Rissy, -...”}

{“...-Rissy!”}

{“...-, Rissy?”}

{“...-Rissy.”}

{“Rissy!!”}

Alarice came to a halt behind the demon lord after completing her swing. The short, sudden drain of her divine power before she seperated his head from his body confirmed her suspicion that he had attempted one last spell before the end. 

Hearing the two thumps behind her that once more confirmed her kill, Alarice let out a long, shaky breath. Opening her shaking eyes, which she hadn’t even realized she had closed, Alarice found her vision to be blurry as she was seeing double. As her body began convulsing, Alarice clenched her bident as she fought the internal rebellion.

Keeping her opponents suppressed, Alarice lost track of time as she stared at the blurry image of the ground. If it weren’t for the repeated wet sensations on her cheeks, Alarice would have believed it if she was told that time was standing still.

 

_______________

“Alarice.” (Sophelia)

Alarice skipped the greeting as she landed next to her sister who was seated on the edge of one of the observation decks in the silver city. Looking down at her sister, she had a hard time holding back her anger. The anger that was a result of the grudge that had sprouted in her heart. 

Finally managing to calm herself enough to put her anger into words, Alarice spoke. “Why did you send Ezme to get me? And don't try to tell me it was for something stupid like saving the mortal realms. I won’t buy it.”

Sophelia merely blinked and gestured with her palm for Alarice to sit down next to her on the observation deck, her golden, gentle eyes looking up at her as she waited.

This again?

Alarice continued to glare at her for a while, before averting her eyes as she reluctantly sat down. Whenever Alarice had confronted Sophelia in anger in the past, her sister would do something akin to what she was doing now; waiting silently while meeting her gaze. 

No matter how many times she had tried, it was a contest Alarice would inevitably lose. 

“Because of her title, she would be the only one that could stop you.” (Sophelia)

Alarice raised an eyebrow as her sister spoke sooner than expected. However, she was far from satisfied by the response, and let her voice be laced by her returning anger. “That doesn’t explain why.”

“Whose domain is behind that stretch of the defensive line?” (Sophelia)

Alarice had to think about it for a moment, as she had never really cared about domains in a long time. “Ezme’s mostly. Or mine?”

“Indeed. Ezme’s.” Sophelia cocked her head as her gaze grew distant. “Which means if we lose those worlds now, Ezme’s domain is the most likely one to be next. A domain which is unprepared.”

Right. I did warn her before.

But her domain is weak because she keeps coddling the mortals. Alarice retorted internally before she frowned in confusion. “So?”

Sophelia’s eyes regained their focus as they turned to Alarice. “And how will Ezme react, when her unprepared realms fall?”

Alarice averted her eyes as she thought about it. Knowing her foolish little sister, it was rather obvious. “She’ll blame herself. But it’s worth it, if she learns that she shouldn’t coddle the mortals. They aren’t our friends.”

Sophelia shook her head. “It will be better for her growth if her domain is as prepared as it can be. Should she lose realms when her domain is at its strongest, she will learn that there will be losses regardless of her efforts. And she would still learn not to…coddle the mortals, as you say.”

…True. Alarice clicked her tongue. “So it was all to buy more time for Ezme?”

“Indeed. I believe a century or two is enough. By then, the mortal generations brought up in Ezme’s new era will have mostly replaced those that are currently opposing her.” (Sophelia)

Alarice frowned. Somehow, the explanation didn’t sit right with her. 

Although I can agree that it is probably best for Ezme if her domain is prepared…it just feels…wrong.

Is it just because it concerns mortals that I have trouble accepting it? Or was there some other reason that made it worth putting Ezme in danger?

Sophelia suddenly broke the silence as the two sisters sat deep in thought while watching the clouds. “You seem to have accepted Ezme’s choice of path.”

Alarice clenched her jaw. “Not really.”

“Oh?” Sophelia said with faint amusement, clearly expressing her skepticism. “Then, you need to make your choice.”

Alarice’s expression darkened as she was reminded of the words Sophelia had given her while she was arguing with Ezme.

{[...two choices. Accept it, and do your best to keep her safe by advising her while keeping an eye on the mortal, or destroy her and convince Father to let her sleep until the war is over. As you can see, she won’t be deterred from her path, and will follow it wherever it leads.] (Sophelia)}

Alarice turned to give her sister a dangerous glance. “I didn’t think you’d be so callous as to suggest I should kill my own sister.”

“I’m not saying you should.” Sophelia replied in a gentle tone. “I only meant that those are the only options left before you, since anything else will merely serve to drive a wedge between you. Though, one could say you have already done that, considering how you have hurt both her and the champion during your last two meetings.”

Alarice snorted. “You speak as if killing her wouldn’t drive a wedge between us.”

Sophelia’s lips rose in amusement. “I suppose it would. But she would be safe.”

Alarice averted her eyes. It’s out of the question. “I can’t do that.”

“Then, will you let her follow her path?” Sophelia asked curiously. “Without interfering?”

“I may have told her I would…but I can’t just leave things as they are.” Her knuckles whitened as she clenched her fists. 

“Because you’re worried that the mortal will turn on her.” (Sophelia)

Alarice nodded. “Perhaps Ezme would get bored with the mortal in a few decades. But during that time, she’ll be keeping her guard down.”

“I don’t think the champion will be doing anything anytime soon.” Sophelia said with a faint smile. “She is quite occupied with governing and establishing contact with the realms in her domain. And when she isn’t, she is spending her time strengthening herself. If there is a betrayal, it's decades away. Even if she wanted to, she wouldn’t have the strength to do any harm to Ezme.”

It is an enchanter.” Alarice snarled, her anger rising in her voice. “Just like she was. The mortal can use those skills to craft a trap in order to make up for what it is lacking in raw strength. And strength is near meaningless if one is taken by surprise.”

Sophelia’s smile faded. “I suppose that’s true. But unlike Thessinda, the champion is isolated. The kind of betrayal you speak of does not spark on its own - it needs someone to encourage it.” Sophelia’s eyes grew distant as she turned towards the clouds. “Think of Ezme’s choice of path. She didn’t choose to walk the path she wanted in the open until someone encouraged her to do so. Until someone suggested it was a good path.”

Alarie’s fists shook as her anger grew. “So I’m not the only one who believes the mortal is a poison.”

Sophelia merely smiled in response, her eyes regaining their focus as she turned to her sister. “My point is that the champion will not consider betrayal, unless someone, be it directly or indirectly, encourages her to do so. And currently, there is nobody here to do that.”

Alarice fell silent as she considered her sister’s argument. She couldn’t entirely deny the truth of it. 

Would Ezme have chosen another path without the mortal? 

…No. No matter what I suggested, Ezme always wanted to walk the path alongside mortals. Like Sophelia said, all she needed was for someone to encourage it. 

But that means…

“Just because someone doesn’t encourage the spark of betrayal, it does not mean it doesn’t exist.” Alarice finished her thought aloud. “It will merely be hibernating.”

Sophelia nodded. “True.”

Alarice turned to her sister. “Then you too think the mortal will become our enemy?”

“No.” Sophelia said with a faint smile. “I know she will.”

Alarice’s heart grew cold. “Then aren’t we putting Ezme in danger?! If you know it will betray us, why are we…” Unable to finish her sentence as her anger and fear overwhelmed her, Alarice clenched her shaking fists.

Sophelia blinked her eyes before she glanced at her sister. “Because the champion has a role to play. With her purpose fulfilled, she will be discarded. We will be betraying her, before she betrays us. And she won’t see it coming.”

Alarice calmed down after her sister’s truthful gaze met hers. With a satisfied nod, Alarice turned her eyes to the clouds. “I’m looking forward to it.”

 

_______________

 

[Ding-dong!]

Alarice raised an eyebrow at the chime when she entered the mortal’s chambers. Looks like it’s still too stupid to understand how to recognize someone’s presence. 

I suppose that should be taken as a good sign.

Alarice made her way into the room where she was sensing the presence of her sister and the mortal. As she entered, she was met with two surprised and confused faces - one of which quickly darkened as hatred sparked in its eyes. 

“Sister? What brings you here?” (Ezme)

Alarice glanced at her sister. Even her appearance told the story about how much she had changed during the time Alarice had been away. Dressed in unfamiliar, mortal clothing, her sister had evidently embraced whatever the mortals had to offer.

Unable to take in the sight of her sister in her new appearance, Alarice looked around in the room instead. It was an armory that looked much like Morpheus’ workshop, in the sense that there was plenty of weaponry and strange gimmicks laying on tables and shelves. 

Her mind connecting the dots, a tinge of fear sprouted in Alarice’s mind. This is where the mortal will attempt to make its plans of betrayal a reality.

Alarice couldn’t hide the displeasure in her voice as she returned her gaze to her sister. “What are you doing here?”

Ezme’s confusion remained evident. “Well…Amara has made an improved version of my current weapon, so we’re going through what is different.”

As the words sank into Alarice’s mind, her eyes widened. She’s using a weapon…made by the mortal?

And she’s happy about it! Just like-

 

{

“...-so I made one for you too, sister-in-law!” The blonde elf held out a spear with a bright smile. 

Alarice crossed her arms and glared at the elf. “I’m not your sister.” 

“That’s not up to you, sister-in-law!” Thessinda replied with a grin. “Come on, try it! You’ll like it, I promise!”

“Ridiculous. Deluded.” Alarice snorted. “I’m not your sister-in-anything.” 

“It’s a mortal term, Rissy. Since you’re my sister, then you’re her sister-in-law.” (Alaric)

“I disapprove.” (Alarice)

“So…you’re not my sister? How cruel…” Alaric said in a tone full of hurt as he put his hand over his heart, inclining his head until his face was hidden.

Panic rose in Alarice’s voice as she turned to her brother. “I-I didn’t mean that! Of course I’m your sister!!” 

Alaric kept his face lowered as he spoke in an agonized voice. “Oh, my heart! It hurts!”

“B-brother!!” Alarice exclaimed, her voice breaking. “I’m sorry! Let me make it up to you!” 

Alaric was silent before he murmured. “Anything I want?”

“Yes!” Alarice replied without hesitation as relief washed over her.

Alarice raised his face, a large smile plastered over it; his gray eyes glimmering with something she wasn’t sure what it was. But she knew that whatever it was, it wasn’t sadness. “Then, will you accept Thessinda’s gift? And if you don’t let her call you sister-in-law, it means you don’t believe yourself to be my sister.”

Alarice blinked before she glanced at the elf, who was covering her mouth with her hand as her shoulders shook. If it wasn’t for the eyes that were focused and filled with glee, Alarice would have thought she was having a seizure. 

“Fine!” Alarice snatched the spear from the elf’s hand before she muttered moodily. “Stupid brother! You should know that no matter what, I’ll always be your sister. Why would you believe anything else?”

A sudden burst of bright laughter made Alarice frown in confusion. The elf was doubled over, while Alaric’s cheeks were twitching. “You’re right. You’re my sweet, stupid sister.”

“Who are you calling stupid!” Alarice howled. 

“I’m certain I said ‘you’ just now…” (Alaric)

“Why…you…!!” (Alarice)

“Why? Because you’re-” (Alaric)

“SHUT UP! Stupid brother! Stupid! Stupid!!” (Alarice)

}

[Ding!] 

“S-sister?” (Ezme)

Spoiler

WARNING!

You have come close to violating the conditions required for keeping the title:

Vengence Incarnate

You haven’t forgotten the conditions, have you? Keep it together!

Spoiler

You stride the wrathful road, determined to claim vengeance upon those who have wronged you. As long as your desire for revenge dictates your actions, nothing shall stand in your way.

All attributes are increased by 700%.

Activation: Succumb to your fury to double the bonuses granted by this title temporarily, but you can not differentiate between friend and foe while it’s active.

Requirements to obtain: Become fueled by your wrath and let your desire for vengeance dictate your actions. Title is unique and can not be owned by more than one individual at any one time.

Conditions: Title is lost if you forgive anyone who wronged you.

[collapse]
[collapse]

Alarice blinked as she returned to the present, her body shaking. Clenching her fist, Alarice’s gaze hardened as she suppressed her rebelling emotions.

I can’t let her be fooled as well. I…

Alarice clenched her jaw as she stopped her train of thought. No. Sophelia was right, I’m letting my fear control me.

“Sister? Is everything alright?” (Ezme)

Alarice opened her eyes and met her sister’s concerned gaze. So innocent. So pure. 

I’ll just have to keep an eye on the mortal myself.

Looking past her sister and the glaring mortal, Alarice looked at the table they stood next to that didn’t seem to have any weapon on it; at least, not one from the present. It did however look similar to something she had seen a certain faction of mortals in her domain use. At least, something they had used. 

It was a mortal empire that she had put down, because after her betrayal, Alarice had deemed them too great of a danger if they were to turn on her and their Father.

“Is that it?” Alarice asked as she gestured to the weapon on the table. 

“Uh…yes?” Ezme asked in a confused tone. 

Alarice walked up to the table, ignoring the displeased stare from the mortal as she appraised the weapon. Appraisal.

Spoiler

Divine-Powered Sniper Rifle

Abilities & Effects: Explosive Compression, Durability, Warning

Creator: Amara

Explosive Compression - Compresses the air, which is released explosively upon pulling the trigger to send a bullet through the barrel. 

Warning - Don’t pull the trigger while aiming at someone, even if there are no bullets in the chamber. - Amara

[collapse]

Alarice frowned. It’s…similar. But it fires bullets rather than spells?

How useless.

Although… Alarice turned her cold eyes to the woman that sat with its arms crossed while glaring defiantly at her. If that is what it is limiting itself to, I suppose it won’t be much of a threat

“Sister?” Ezme spoke hesitantly as she interrupted their silent battle. “Why are you here?”

Alarice slowly turned her eyes from the mortal to her sister. “I’m here to estimate whether it is of any danger to you.”

Ezme cocked her head with a contemplative look. “It should be safe, considering the previous prototype was more unstable, yet never blew up in my face.” Ezme looked at the mortal. “Right?”

“Right.” The mortal nodded, not taking her eyes off Alarice. “It’s safe for its intended purposes, anyway.”

Alarice glanced at the mortal, who seemed to be hiding that she was clenching her fists under her arms. Not too hard to guess that she is imagining killing me as we speak. With a disdainful snort, Alarice returned her gaze to her sister. “I wasn’t talking about the weapon.”

“No? Then what…” (Ezme)

It.” Alarice replied as she kept her sister’s gaze. 

As Ezme realized who - what - Alarice was talking about, her eyes were filled with sadness as her brow furrowed. 

“It’s a mortal. It doesn’t deserve your sympathy, sister.” (Alarice)

“Bitch.” The mortal muttered.

“I see your insults have not improved since the day you were chosen.” Alarice retorted as she turned her icy glare to the mortal. “I wonder what Ezme sees in you. Your intelligence is at the level of-”

Sister.” Ezme let her divine power enter her voice, effectively breaking up the conversation. When Alarice met her gaze, her sister was looking at her with a stern gaze. “Don’t.”

Alarice looked at her sister as she fell in thought. She has grown quickly since choosing her path. 

Too quickly. She could never defy me like that before. 

Although I don’t really want to say it…I’m proud of her growth. If only she had chosen a different path.

“Very well.” Alarice let out a snort and turned her eyes to the mortal. “Mortal, know that should you harm my sister, I shall relish in taking my time destroying you.”

The mortal frowned as she continued to glare. 

Satisfied that the mortal was still too weak to be a threat, Alarice decided to leave. As she passed by her sister, she told her. “I’ll see you at the front.”

Before she reached the alcove, the mortal called out. “Hey.”

Alarice stopped and looked over her shoulder. 

The mortal was still glaring at her, but her lips were curved into a wry smile. “At least have the decency to announce when you intend to come by from now on. I doubt sister-in-law would want to walk and find Ezme in a compromising posi- ”

PER-..P-...AMARA!!!” Ezme howled in anger as she closed the distance to the mortal with her hand raised. 

Alarice watched how her sister was taking out her anger on the grinning mortal, knowing that a part of her was glad to see that her sister wasn’t afraid to discipline the mortal when it overstepped its bounds. However, the words the mortal had spoken made any such positivity impossible. 

{“I doubt sister-in-law would want to walk and find Ezme in an uncompromising posi-” (Mortal)}

{“...sister-in-law…” (Mortal)}

{“...compromising positi-” (Mortal)}

{“...sister-in-law…” (Mortal)}

{“...compromising position!” (Mortal)}

…I should kill her. I want to kill her.

[Ding!]

Spoiler

Your wrath is taking hold!

Vengeance Incarnate is activating in 5...

4...

3...

[collapse]

Alarice considered for a moment, before suppressing her anger. Leaving her sister and the mortal - that was squealing apologies - behind, a cold smile broke out on her face. Her first smile in a long time. Not today.

But I will one day make you know the meaning of regret, mortal. And the best part?

Sophelia sanctioned it, so Ezme won’t be able to hate me when I do.

All I need to do is wait.

 

21