Chapter 10
169 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rucheng woke up early and went to the kitchen to look around for vegetables. As she approached the kitchen, she heard the servants talking. “Have you gotten a glimpse of the new prince?”

“No, but I heard from the soldiers that saw him. He looks exactly like the emperor,” one said.

“That is what I heard too,” the other said.

“I wish I could work in his palace, but did you here? Only his sisters may serve him,” the first one said.

“And the story with the princess having an affair, these royals. What is going on?” She wondered.

“And the new prince is the son of Consort Wang. Do you know her?” The other asked.

“I didn’t even know there was a Consort Wang, but they say she died in an accident and that the Emperor of the other kingdom was furious when he heard that she passed on,” the first one said.

Rucheng shook her head. She walked in with a smile and ignored them. Getting the vegetables, she left and returned to Changling’s palace.

Changling was up, and he was practising his martial arts. When he saw her, he asked, “Is there any news?”

“Of course, both inside and outside the place. You, mother, and brother are the main topic of discussion,” she answered listlessly.

Changling sat down to meditate and said, “I’m thinking of paying the empress a visit. What do you think?”

“It would be unwise if you do. You’ve stated that she should pay you a visit instead,” she said.

“But it would be a delightful surprise,” she added with a smirk.

Changling chuckled, “Get my things ready. I’ll go have breakfast with her.”

“It’s too early,” she said.

“It’s never too early to face our enemies,” he said and closed his eyes.

Rucheng sighed. If she were to leave now, then who was going to look after the Consort? Maybe she could tie him up.

Her eyes widened when she realised she was becoming as cruel as her siblings were. But a smile was brought to her face because it was a family trait that they developed.

After she got Changling ready, she looked outside and saw that it was almost sunrise. Looking at her brother, she asked, “Am I accompanying you?”

He looked at her and smirked. “Who’s going to look after Youxian?”

“I thought so too,” she said and walked him out. Looking at her brother, she asked, “Do you know the way?”

“No, but I will ask,” he said.

Leaving his palace, he walked around idly. When a servant saw him, she couldn’t recognise him. Bowing her head, she asked, “What can I do for you, my lord?”

Changling glanced at her, then at his appearance. His hair was worn in a ponytail and he had on red robes. He didn’t wear the crest of a prince, nor did he have the tassel that they all wore at their waist.

Smiling, he asked, “Might you be able to lead me to the Empress?”

She looked at him, stunned, and asked, “My lord, I can show you the way, but that is as far as I can go. It’s not my section, and I will have to pass you on to another servant of the palace.”

“I do not mind,” he said, giving her the go ahead to show him the way.

They made it across the grounds to the next section. The Imperial palace was divided into five sections and after Consort Wang received the divorce, she was replaced. 

The empress lived north of the emperor’s palace and so the journey was long, but they made it. The servant spoke to another servant, and she was surprised. She quickly went to inform the eunuch, who was equally shocked. The only person who would visit her were her children, and they knew the times.

He went out to look who was it and didn’t recognise Changling, but saw that he looked similar to the emperor. Putting two and two together, he welcomed him in and quickly went to inform the empress, who was fast asleep.

“What?!” she screeched with her hair dishevelled. “How dare that brat disrupt me?”

Changling didn’t sit idle. After the eunuch left, he followed him and held his finger to his lips as he passed the maids-in-waiting.

“Shall I ask him to leave?” Her maid-in-waiting asked.

He arrived outside her chamber and listened in to the conversation. 

“Yes, yes. He cannot do what he wants in the palace. Tell him to return at noon,” she said.

Changling laughed outside and opened the doors, “You know, your highness, I have more authority than you think. Do you really want to try me?”

Her eyes widened. She quickly covered herself and yelled, “GUARDS!”

Changling rolled his eyes, “Oh please, do you really believe that I would be interested in someone, dried up and wrinkled?”

The maid-in-waiting walked up to him and bowed. “Prince Changling, you are not allowed in here.”

He ignored her and walked up to the bed. He sat down on the edge and gazed at her. To think someone that looked less of a beauty than his mother was—was the empress.

“So, why did you want to see me? If it was important, you would have gotten up by now, or do I dare say that the empress enjoys wasting the time of others?” He said.

She glared at him. “How dare you come in here and insult me? Did you forget who I am?”

He shook his head, “Of course not. How can I forget the woman who ruined my mother’s life?”

“I did no such thing!” She said.

“Then why did my father tell her to leave after they found out that she was pregnant?” He asked her.

She was stunned. Her mind recalled the incident of the divorce and now, after all these years, it made sense.

Looking at him, she asked, “What do you want?”

“I want nothing,” he answered. “What is it you want from me?” He asked.

Staring at him for a moment, she finally said, “I want you to stay away from my son’s crown.”

He scoffed. Standing up, he said, “That crown belongs to me and you know it. Once I am coronated as a prince, you know very well that I will be aiming for the crown.”

She stood on her knees. “I will never allow that.”

“And this topic does not concern you,” he said. He glanced at her, then walked out of the chamber and said, “Get dressed and come have breakfast. By the looks of it, you’ll die from being in the same chamber as me.”

0