Chapter 2: Status Update
51 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It’s been around a year already. What’s with the time skip? Well, it’s pretty hard to do anything when you’re a baby, so I’ve mostly just been observing my surroundings. Give me a break.

I can now mostly understand the language that my parents were speaking; Elvish. It was actually pretty similar to English, as it uses a phonetic alphabet and seems to have Latin roots. Don’t ask me how that’s possible, it just does.

Back to my parents. Their names are Amelia Elarin and Johnathan Elarin. You can figure out who’s who pretty easily based on the names. Again, there seem to be some similarities between this world, Illentia, and Earth. I can’t place my finger on it, but I’m sure that there is a reason why.

Oh yeah, my name’s Luneth Elarin. Nice to meet you. You can call me Luna.

The reason for my name is pretty interesting, actually. Supposedly, when I was born, the spirits, yes, spirits, were dancing above the silver tower. Furthermore, the spirits were dancing in front of the moon, causing my parents to think of the name Luneth. Cool, right?

Anyway, back to my observations. There’s magic. My mom’s an enchanter, meaning that her job is to bestow magic onto items.

About two months after my birth, my mom brought me to her study and laid me down on the table. I was in this sort of portable cradle/basket. I wanted to see what she was doing, so I sat up and looked over the edge.

On the table, there were a bunch of different tools and gadgets. In the center of this chaotic work environment, a ring was being suspended in the air. My mom was looking at it through a series of magnifying glasses. 

She then picked up this tool that looked kind of like a pen and began to engrave symbols onto the ring. It’s a bit hard to describe them, but just imagine them as runes that had a strange… “order” to them.

Now, this in and of itself was nothing special, and yet I was still enthralled by my mom’s work. Luckily, I was rewarded for my attentiveness. After engraving the last symbol, my mother put the ring on. Again, nothing special.

But then it glowed.

The ring glowed. It was faint, but a soft, blue glow came from the runes. I was absolutely flabbergasted. I had seen her engraving the ring, so I knew there was no technology or LEDs installed. Was it some sort of chemical reaction? No, my mom only had tools around her, no chemicals. But it still created light.

It was a miracle.

It was magical.

And then I realized it, this world had magic. I probably should have guessed after realizing that, despite living in what looks to be a medieval city, high-quality goods that rival their earthen counterparts were produced.

You wouldn’t believe how excited I was when I realized this. Well, you probably would, but you get my point. And so, I pledged to myself that I would learn magic. I mean, who wouldn’t? If you get transported into a fantasy world, why would you just ignore the biggest difference between the world and earth?

Like, seriously, if you chose to be a default swordsman, merchant, or something, you’d be missing out.

But wait, that’s not all. There’s a system. Yes, like an RPG system. And no, not everyone has it. If I think of the word “Status,” then a grey, mostly transparent screen appears in front of me.

Luneth Elarin

Race: Elf

HP: 5/5

MP: 5/5

Title: Otherworlder(Hidden)

Skills:

        Common Skills:「Eidetic Memory」「Theorize」「Programming」

「Multi-Task」

Resistances: 「Mental Attack Resistance」

Otherworlder: The user was not originally from this world and retains memories from their previous life. Otherworlders are able to recognize each other at a glance if they have met each other in their previous life. Additionally, Otherworlders gain new Skills easier than normal people.

Eidetic Memory: The user has eidetic level memory and can accurately recall any information that they have learned. The memories can be organized for ease-of-access. 

Theorize: The user has the ability to accurately come to a conclusion using the given information. The more information available will allow the user to create more accurate theories.

 

This was the most confusing part of my “research.” Why did I, a random elf girl, have this system?

To be honest, I’m not sure that I like it.

I mean, it didn’t seem to do much, as it only really quantified my abilities, but It made me nervous. The fact that not everyone had it only worsened this nervousness. There was a reason that I had this system: someone or something had given it to me; made it for me.

But why?

Why would this seemingly powerful individual give me something that could help me? 

They wanted to use me. This was the only solution that I could think of. Now, this isn’t inherently a bad thing, sure. However, if there’s one thing that I learned from all of my time online gaming, no gift comes without any strings attached, and if it does, that person is either foolish or selfish.

For example, if a high leveled friend (let’s call him Friend A) gives another friend (Friend B) some good gear, then what Friend A wants is for Friend B to play with him. Friend A knows that Friend B is going to be there for him when he wants to play. Furthermore, Friend A could even give some “advice” to Friend B, forging him into the ultimate teammate.

Okay, I said the word “friend” too many times right there. Now it sounds weird in my head, and I bet it looks weird on text to you. Anyway, you should get my point. If not, then just think about why people give gifts to each other on Christmas.

The majority of people give something so that they don’t feel bad receiving something. Other people give gifts just because they want to. However, these people get self-satisfaction from giving these gifts, so it’s not like they’re doing it for nothing.

That’s why this gift makes me nervous. I’m afraid that one day, the gifter (is that how you say it?) will come and ask something of me. I don’t like being a puppet; being controlled, so I’m going to stay a bit cautious of the system.

I mean, the only thing that seems to be purely beneficial is the 「Otherworlder」title. It gives me a straight XP boost, so to say, making it easier for me to grow and become strong. However, I’m not sure if this is a boon of the system or just something that all otherworlders get.

Also, if it wasn’t clear, my 「Eidetic Memory」skill and my「Theorize」skill were both abilities that I had in my previous life. What, surprised that I have a perfect memory? How else do you think I, a true gamer, would be able to be in a class with a bunch of geniuses.「Theorize」makes a lot of sense, too. See, I have a natural talent of piecing together a lot of information, picking up on little details, and noticing inconsistencies. Again, this is an ability that was developed due to school.

Even though I had a near-perfect memory, that didn’t mean that I could use all of that information. That’s where my theory crafting abilities came in.

Are there easier ways to learn things and pass school? Of course, but I was too stubborn to use them, and I didn’t want to spend any of my precious gaming time studying.

Lastly, there’s my 「Programming」skill and my 「Multi-Task」skill. I’m pretty sure that these are because of my gaming.「Multi-Task」makes sense; I had to manage multiple things at a time when I played games. And, due to my modding and hacking escapades, I picked up a few programming languages.

Well, that wasn’t the only reason. 

I created this program that filters through a bunch of information, presenting it to me in an easy to understand way. I would then remember this information with my near-perfect memory. Smart, right?

Aren’t I just being lazy? Well, yes. But I’m doing my best at being lazy. I’m being lazy with style.

Anyway, I went on a bit of a tangent there. Suffice to say, my skills make sense. I-I’m just going to ignore 「Mental Attack Resistance」for now. It seems like a huge can of worms that I really don’t want to open right now.

I’d rather not learn how I acquired that. I mean, usually, you get those types of skills by building up a resistance, right?

That’s not worrying at all. Not a bit.

W-Well, you know what’s not worrying? My new family here in Illentia. Did I just do a subject switch? You bet your ass I did.

Here, unlike my on Earth, my parents love me. They are really nice. And, they seem like great people. It’s really making it hard not to love them back. Not that I really have a reason not to. I’m just a bit hesitant.

Why? I don’t know. It’s just a bit hard opening up to people after all of your closest friends died. Well, I died too, but that’s less important. To be honest, I feel like I lost something important after I died, besides, you know, my life.

I feel as if I can lose everything again. As if one day, my life is going to crumble before my eyes for a second time. But what are the chances of that happening? Probably pretty low. Well, they may be higher than the chances of a plane crash, but that’s not saying much, am I right?

If you haven’t noticed yet, I tend to get off-subject pretty easily. Scratch that, really easily. My head is all over the place. I’m making jokes to myself; talking to myself. Honestly, couldn’t the devs have done a better job at writing my character? The way they write my self-deprecation is starting to fall kind of flat. Couldn’t they have made me more, I don’t know, relatable?

I mean, who’s gonna relate to someone who loved their classmates more than their parents? I’m pretty sure that I’d be acting the same way if I lived, but all of my classmates died. It might’ve been better if I didn’t reincarnate, you know?

If the devs are going to write that kind of character, they should at least be involved in the class, unlike me. I mean, I had a friend, Ms. Kumon, and knew everyone really well, but I was kind of antisocial. 

Haaah, at least the devs aren’t making this story cliché. Being both a badly written character and a cliché one would be too much for even me. I have to make sure to be on the lookout for those, though. Who knows when the devs are going to decide to do something more conventional.

Welp.

Back to my parents. I really love them. I know I was just talking about how I was having a hard time opening up, but that was in the past, the now is now, you know? It’s not like my opinion changed or anything, it's just that I’m now being honest with myself.

My parents just seem so… happy together. Like, they just enjoy being in each other’s presence. And that extends to me, too! They just like being around me and seeing what I’m up to. I can walk now, so I’ve been exploring the house a lot and reading books. They probably think that I’m just staring at the pages and imagining stuff, but no, I’m actually reading.

I keep bringing this back to me somehow. Am I just that self-centered? Anyway, My mom is an enchanter, as shown, and my dad is a blacksmith. I’m woken up every morning by the strike of his hammer. It’s pretty cool.

After realizing that magic existed, I figured out that the stove, the furnace, and more were all using magic, too. It’s weird what a little key knowledge can do to your perception.

My mom is a very sweet person. She’s, like, the best. Meanwhile, my dad is a bit of a tsundere. They both look really young like they’re in their 20s. Despite this, I’m pretty sure they are at least quadruple that. I haven’t asked them their ages yet, but I can just tell. It’s their habits and knowledge that give off the impression that they are older than they look.

Today I plan on asking my parents something. I, Luneth Elarin, have a dream. A dream to use magic, explore the world, and meet up with my (former)classmates. So I’m going to ask my mom to teach me magic. I’m probably going to learn something from my dad too, but blacksmithing doesn’t really seem like it’s my mojo.

“Mama, wat es sparklez?” I said pointing to my mom’s current project. It was a wand that made fireworks, or something close to them. And yes, I deserve all of the Oscars for my acting. No, you cannot get my autograph, I’m a 1-year-old, I can’t write.

“Oh, this?” I nod. “Well, I was hired to make a bunch of these for the coming New Year’s celebration. If you say the keyword while channeling magic power into it, it creates a design in the air with a mixture of light and fire magic,” she explained, going into nerd mode.

I tilt my head in response, showing her that I’m confused. I’m not really, but there’s no way a 1-year-old, no matter how smart, would understand half of what she just said. She seemed to realize this and then sighed before continuing.

“If you say the magic word, then it shoots out sparklies,” she said slowly while giving me vague hand motions.I act shocked and excited. Now for the clincher.

“Wat es majic?” I asked innocently.

“Ah, it's a bit hard for me to explain it. Hmm... It’s a skill…” she said, giving up at explaining a hard concept to a child. I don’t blame her, I don’t think I would do much better in her position. Actually, I wouldn’t have even given half as much effort as she did.

“Can I lern it?” I asked, excitedly. This was real excitement. I was also a bit nervous she would say no. No, I was really nervous. If she said no, then I would have to learn without her permission, and I didn’t want to have to do that.

“Sure, why not?” She said with a smile and a chuckle, “I’ll teach you in a few years. Your dad will be sad you don't want to learn blacksmithing, but honestly, why would he expect my little girl to do something so…”

“How long?” I questioned. I wanted to get a hard date. Both to cement this as an actuality and to give me a time frame.

“Umm… How about when you’re six?” she asked, more to herself than to me, “Yeah, that should work, no, we’ll start when you’re five. The earlier the better.” 

Then why can’t I learn now? Whatever five is early enough. I can be satisfied with that. In the meantime, I’ll just keep reading books and stuff. I don’t know, but I’ll figure it out. I’ve got plenty of time this life, and I’m an expert at wasting time.

3