Chapter Five: The Siege of Hibiki
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I hate this job already," Tatsuya groaned.

The other soldiers who were busy preparing couldn't help but chuckle at the new recruit. This infuriated Tatsuya even more.

"What are you fools laughing at?" Tatsuya growled. "I have to fight a bloody war on my first day! I didn't sign up for this!"

"What are you some kind of coward?" one of the soldiers teased him, much to the amusement of the others.

"Let's see how brave you are when I shove this blade up your ass!" Tatsuya threatened. "You and me! Duel to the death!"

"That is enough!" a man's voice boomed.

Everyone turned around to see a visibly upset Lord Rai.

"You morons should be ashamed of yourselves!" Rai scolded. "Wasting your time with pointless squabbles when the castle is being surrounded!"

All but Tatsuya bowed their heads in shame. The young warrior held his head up high defiantly. But Rai paid it no mind. He had more pressing matters to be concerned about.

"You. Tatsuya," Rai called out. "The armorer wants to see you. Follow that path over there to his office."

He turned to his men with gritted teeth.

"The rest of you, to your stations!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tatsuya walked along the path that Rai pointed as instructed. He wondered why the armorer would want to see him at a time like this. They were in the middle of a battle! Tatsuya didn't think that he would be summoned unless it was a matter of utmost importance. He wondered what kind of trouble he has gotten himself into again. Perhaps they found out his secret, that he meant to infiltrate the army and assassinate the Yako. It was the only possible explanation.

*Like it or not, I must put my faith on that old geezer. Hopefully he didn't spill the beans.*

Tatsuya shook his head. Perhaps he was just worrying too much. He realized that getting ahead of himself and thinking that Moya betrayed him would only hurt their mission. Maybe it was just an ordinary meet and greet, albeit the questionable timing. Whatever the case, Tatsuya hoped for the best. Just then, he felt a light tap on his shoulder. He spun around to see his friend Moya wearing a cloak to hide his face.

"Thought I recognized those footsteps," Tatsuya grinned. "What's up old geezer?"

He was thinking of catching up with the old man when he realized that Moya was not playing around. Tatsuya could tell from the old man's expression that he had something urgent to say.

"While you were preparing for battle, I tried to gather everything I can get on our target," said Moya. "It seems that we are seeking a woman by the name of Himei."

"I'll bear that in mind," Tatsuya nodded. "That Yako will die."

"I heard you were summoned by the armorer," Moya cautioned. "Be warned. He often surrounds himself with female servants."

"So?" Tatsuya asked, confused.

"Remember what we're dealing with Tatsuya," Moya reminded him. "Kitsune are shapeshifters. And we know one of them is a woman."

"So, you think it's one of the servants?" Tatsuya said, now concerned about his destination.

"Just a hunch," Moya replied. "Be careful my friend."

"Only one way to find out," said Tatsuya as pushed open the doors of the armorer's office.

Shit. There it is.

There was no mistaking it. As soon as Tatsuya opened the doors, he could already pick of the scent of the kitsune in the room. He looked around to see a burly man in his forties, inviting him in with a friendly smile. This must be the armorer. He was surrounded by numerous female servants, each one wearing an ornate animal mask. Tatsuya found himself in a tricky situation. Even if he knew a Yako was in the room, he couldn't tell which one. Which one of these women was the target?

"I'll try to find a way out," Moya whispered in his ear as he ran off.

Tatsuya had no choice but to take a seat at the armorer's office.

"Come now new recruit, don't be afraid," the armorer smiled. "Sorry to call you at such a bad time."

*Play it cool Tatsuya. You got this. *

"I-It's okay sir," Tatsuya said nervously. "Y-You summoned me?"

"Ah yes," the armorer said. "Call me Nitsuke. Lady Himei told me that you are to play a pivotal role in this upcoming battle."

Tatsuya winced at the mention of the name but tried to avoid making it obvious. So, the Yako is aware of his presence. That complicates things, he thought. The armorer chuckled at his silence.

"I understand that you're nervous," Nitsuke said. "After all, not many know that you are a Hunter. I had to hear it from Lord Rai and Lady Himei."

"You mentioned I have a role in this?" Tatsuya asked, trying to steer the discussion away to something else.

"Of course, silly me," Nitsuke laughed, scratching his head. "Well, the Lady thought that you could provide the element of surprise that we need to win this battle."

"How so?" Tatsuya asked.

"As far as Clan Jikan is concerned, we only have one Hunter," Nitsuke smirked. "We can catch them off guard with the sudden appearance of a second one."

"Let me see if I understand this right," Tatsuya said grimly. "You want me to kill the opposing clan's Hunter when they least expect it?"

"Precisely," Nitsuke replied. "The battle has already begun. Their champion Hunter is challenging Lord Rai to a stand-off. The lord has been sending out men to fight in his stead, but that is only to drop the enemy's guard. When the time is right, the lord will pretend to finally accept the challenge. He will give you the signal to suddenly intercept him and fight in his behalf. The enemy would have no time to strategize how to defeat you,"

"Sounds easy enough," said Tatsuya.

Though he felt reluctant to save that bastard Lord Rai or follow through with Lady Himei's plan, he realized that this could work to his favor in the end. If he can somehow manage to earn their trust in this battle, he would be allowed in the daimyo's inner circle. This would allow him to not only get close enough to assassinate Himei, he might be able to kill the daimyo as well It would be hitting two birds with one stone. It sounded like a better strategy than trying to guess which maiden in this room was the Lady Himei in disguise. That would have to wait. He was just about to set off on his assignment when Nitsuke the armorer stopped him.

"Before you go, I have something to give you to help you with your mission," the armorer said.

He opened a closet behind him and revealed to him a crimson samurai armor. The helmet had two large horns and a terrifying fanged mask, making it look like the head of a demon. Tatsuya was drawn to the armor, to which Nitsuke revealed that it was made for him.

"The armor fits you well," Nitsuke praised him.

Tatsuya replied as he wore the armor, complete with the helmet. It was like looking at a demon spirit of fire.

1