Chapter Sixteen: Sea On Fire
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Halt!" said a soldier on the patrol boat. "Who goes there?"

"I am but a humble monk," Kazan lied. "Baba Maguro is my name. I am here to give a final blessing to the poor souls on that ship."

"Do you have any documentation?" the soldier inquired.

"Why of course," Kazan replied as he handed over his powers.

As the soldier inspected his documents, Kazan couldn't help but be amazed at Tora's skills at being a pickpocket. It almost seemed funny that he stole of the papers of the actual Baba Maguro that was supposed to visit the ship. So, it was true that he tried everything. He might have considered pretending to be a monk. But when Kazan asked what happened to Maguro, Tora simply dismissed him and said that he was taken care of.

"So, you are named after a fish," the soldier chuckled to himself.

"My father was a fisherman," Kazan continued to lie, trying to make small talk. "He named me after the giant tuna he caught that day."

"Well tuna I don't want to get it your way," the soldier answered. "Move along."

Kazan couldn't believe his luck. The plan was going smoothly so far. Perhaps it was because it was four in the morning, so most of the soldiers on the fleet were either asleep or passed out drunk from a night of drinking. The soldier on patrol had another hour before his shift ended, so he was most likely just getting things over with so that he could turn in for the night. Little did he know that he would not get the opportunity. For once he was out of sight, Kazan turned to the monks who were with him on the boat. He specifically looked at a tall monk whose face was covered by his hooded robe.

"You're up," Kazan told the tall monk, who removed his hood to reveal that he was none other than Tora himself.

"I can't believe the soldier didn't inspect me thoroughly," Tora laughed. "What a lousy officer!"

"Don't get cocky," Kazan cautioned. "We're not out of the woods yet. Stick to the plan."

"I know I know," Tora grumbled. "Payback is just way too sweet."

"We'll split into two teams," Kazan instructed. "I will lead a team to retrieve the metal chains located at the storages. My team will link the ships together. Meanwhile lead a team to steal as many weapons as you can from the sleeping soldiers. Store them in as many lifeboats as you can. Once our respective teams have succeeded, we will rendezvous midway to the prison ship. I will go on ahead to free the prisoners with the rest of the monks. You meanwhile, well you know what to do right?"

"Just watch me go to work," Tora smirked.

Kazan nodded and gave the signal. The group immediately split into two as they dived silently into the water towards the Jikan fleet. Using the hooks hidden in their robes, Kazan and Tora led the monks into climbing the ships one by one. Kazan led his team immediately to the storages, stealing the metal chains kept their intended for siege weapons. They immediately set out to linking the ships together, using wooden planks to swiftly move from one ship to another. Meanwhile, Tora's team set out stealing weapons and boats. They gathered as much as they can but at the same time making sure that it was not too heavy for the boats to carry. Whatever little resistance both parties encountered were quickly taken down, seemingly appearing as phantoms amidst the cover of darkness. Half an hour later, everything was ready. Kazan immediately led the way, guiding the boats towards the agreed spot. Tora meanwhile stayed behind on a small boat not far from the flagship. He would hurl a horokubiya or grenade at the ship, causing it to explode and ignite. Chaos soon ensued as the holocube flagship burst into flames. The startled Jikan soldiers began to panic as they realized what was going on. Tora however wasted no time. Drawing out his magical nunchaku Kaze, he began chanting an incantation as he began spinning the weapon. The continuous circular motion summoned a powerful southeastern wind that blew on the flagship, scattering the flames to the nearby ships. Thanks to Kazan's team linking them all together earlier, the ships could not move out of the way. Soon they were all ablaze like the trees in a wildfire, lighting up the night sky as if it was the sea itself that was on fire. As soon as his own boat caught fire, Tora quickly dived into the water. A few soldiers spotted him and tried shooting at him with arrows. But the pirate swam too fast that he was out of range from the volley of arrows.

After a couple of minutes of swimming, Tora made his way to the prison ship. As the monks helped him up, Tora was informed that Kazan had already begun freeing the prisoners. He would make haste to do the same, knowing full well that the Jikan Clan would have undoubtedly heard of what they've done and will be waiting for them. The pirates were ecstatic to finally be released. Despite being famished, they had plenty of fight left in them, motivated by their own desires for revenge. Tora and Kazan would lead the now fully armed pirates back to the shore, knowing full well that they were in for a fight. Sure enough, a force ten times their size was waiting for them on shore. The pirates started to get discouraged, but Tora stood up from his boat and let out a mighty roar. Turning to his comrades he shouted:

"Tigers of the sea!" Tora cried. "Who will join me in taking their heads?"

Inspired by their fiery leader, the pirates raised their swords in unison and let out their fierce war cries. Tora pointed forward before rushing into the fray, rallying his troops against the Jikan forces. Tora was a beast among men, living up to his moniker of the tiger of legend. Every mighty swing of his magical nunchaku sent his opponents flying, as if the four winds themselves were fighting on his behalf. When several pikemen tried to stab him with their spears, he tucked his nuchaku in his belt before proceeding to yank the weapons out of their hands with a mighty tug. Then in one swift motion, he would break all the spears on his knee. The terrified soldiers would try to flee for their lives, but Tora and his fellow pirates would pounce upon them like tigers out to hunt. The pirates themselves were no different from Tora. Driven by bloodlust, they would hack at their opponents with such ferocity that they would seem more like demons than men. Whatever they lacked in armor and equipment, they made up for the sheer brutality of their attacks.

While Tora was displaying his ferocity and strength, Kazan meanwhile was displaying his tactical prowess on the other side of the battlefield. Taking advantage of the smoke from the burning ships, he would use his weapon's magic to summon warriors made of a terracotta. This gave the advancing Jikan forces the impression that a larger force was waiting for them, causing them to hesitate. It was all the time that Kazan and his warrior monks needed to launch a surprise attack to rout their enemies.

When the smoke finally cleared, all that was left were all the debris from the night's battle. Kazan and Tora emerged victorious. Capitalizing on their momentum, they would proceed to capture the port itself. This gave them access to a whole fleet of warships originally intended for the Jikan navy. All that was left was to sail back to the headquarters of the Onryo alliance.

0