Chapter III: Overturned
57 4 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Time passed, and Link lived with the Kokiri as he had done before. Saria and the Hero often had their many playful adventures, and sometimes could be quite mischievous in their pranks. Occasionally, Phaelon would tag along. Mido would be his normal spiteful self, but secretly, he was quite glad to see Link back and they would playfully pick on each other in rival. For he had honestly missed the "Fairyless" boy, and had learned awhile back that he and Saria would never be. Fado was a good friend and had always desired to learn from him in his way of life.

When he wasn't playing and frolicking with Saria or Phaelon, Link would often lend aid to Mido or Fado, and over a night on a weekly basis, Link would tell stories to the Kokiri. Sometime, he would tell them about a place he had visited and the people who lived there. Other times, he would tell them of an adventure; however, he rarely focused on himself as he focused rather on the experience. Mido was always the most enthusiastic as he would question along the lines in countenance of "What happens next?" Then there was Fado who was intrigued as he would listen intently for lessons learned in comparison to his own feats and principles. Phaelon, however, rarely attended as he had already seen much of a society of people and adventures, and that wasn't under any conditions of a positive experience. Wherefore, Phaelon considered the outside world a place that was off limits for himself as he would remain content to abide in the woods. As for Saria, she was ever eager to learn of the outside world and of Link's experience as it helped her understand him that much more, and she ever listened to him with a merit of pride.

Link was, for the most part, at rest as he was home with Saria and the Kokiri in living his childhood like it was before his adventurous life took place. But that was not altogether the case, for as he had always been of quiet nature in speaking little, since his adventures, he was now more solemn, spoke even less, and he smiled less. Flashbacks, occasionally, would awake to bother him as he vividly remembered the terrors that he had encountered and the people who suffered from it. But no matter how low his moments could get, Saria, with her bad jokes, cheerful smiles, and jovial countenance, was always able to bring the sun of his smile back to warmth.

Occasionally, he would have dreams in the night as he would relive his past horrible experiences. On one such a night, Saria, living next door, heard him and was struck with concern. Her eyes, widened with dazzle, eyed from one object to another as she subconsciously listened to him. Barefoot as she was, she strolled out of her house into the forest's night. She, at first, had to hold herself back from frantically running to him in worry, but she knew better. The torn girl knew that she must approach him calmly. By the time she made it to the ladder of his tree house, the dew of the night's morning had settled upon her green hair as glistening stars beneath the moonlight. Saria climbed the ladder and entered his home. Link was not overly loud in his cries, but Saria saw him wreak havoc with his bunk as he was enduring this subconscious life. She felt her heart stop in that moment, and then she sat down as she nestled him into her arms as she held him tight with gracing a soft kiss on his brow. In that moment, he had calmed down as he awoke with flashing eyes. "Saria?" Link started in taking notice of her, but she only silenced him with her gentle voice as she held him tighter.

"Shhh...It's okay Link. I'm right here." At first, he was trembling, and then Saria began to sing her song. It wasn't like the tree dancing in the wind, but rather, as her voice carried slowly, softly, and gently, it was like a single leaf that tossed to and fro with the gentle breeze as it seemed to carry its own melody of nostalgia, joy, and love. Link became calm and still as he listened to her sweet words and voice, and as he came to rest in her arms, he soon fell asleep. A smile wore onto his sleeping face, and Saria smiled in seeing it, so they were both content. She looked around in his cozy and quaint home as she held him. For the most part, she was quite impressed with how neat he had kept it. It was simple really. His sword and shield he had mounted along the wall, and beside them in careful storage was his 'bottomless' pouch wherein it contained so many possessions. They were possessions of rare use now, but a treasure nonetheless as they could still prove useful when and if the day should come. He had his cupboards of dishes and his pantry of foods, there was his table alongside the hearth of a design similar to that of her own, and there were a couple of chairs. But there was nothing to indicate luxury of any means except for one item, and it sat upon the table in center of his home, his fairy ocarina. She sighed as she whispered to herself, "Oh Link,...you truly are special. ... I may not know nor understand everything that you have gone through and endured. ... But I do know and understand you. ... You will always be my 'boy of the forest'."

As a year had passed, Link was a little thrown off as his height difference with Saria and the other Kokiri were relatively the same. But it only had been a year since he returned, so he didn't think that seriously of it. However, the following year, he still noticed them being of relatively similar height, and the question came to his mind, 'Are they growing? Or am I not growing?' Yet he couldn't figure out the answer, so he decided to take measurements and mark them down in note. In measuring the others, he didn't want to bring up any cause of disturbance, so he simply observed them in measurement in reference to certain landmarks. So, when the next year had come, growth had indeed shown.

Saria answered Link's call as he called her to the Deku Tree's meadow. "What is it Link?" She asked.

And he simply responded with question, "Have you noticed anything different over the past couple of years?" Saria only shook her head. "Saria," Link started, "I am Hylian, and I am growing. For the past three years, I have been growing, and yet you and the others have seemed to be growing with me as you haven't gotten any shorter than me over all of that time. For example, we're taller than our stump, in the meadow, than we had been."

In dawning realization, Saria's eyes widened, and she voiced question in disbelief. "We're growing?" Her breathing became heavier, "How?"

And Link turned his gaze as he eyed where the sprout would had been. "I'm not sure, but I believe that it's because of his absence." He said, "The power of the Deku Tree in housing your eternal nature is no longer preserved."

So, they called on Fado and Mido and briefed them over the matter. Mido took some convincing, but Fado was quick to listen to Link's observations and believed fully after considering his own perspective from mulling over it.

Link was not sure of how Saria felt about the fact that they were growing up, so he didn't bring it up. As for himself, while he was not glad that Saria and the Kokiri were susceptible to aging death, he was glad that he and Saria would grow up together and that the Kokiri will grow to a new perspective of life. But unbeknownst to Link, Saria felt quite the same, and she was excited about growing up with him.

As they grew, the Kokiri were becoming overgrown for their homes, and the change of matters called for a change in their way of life. They began to build and thus they took the timbers of their forest and built new homes, and when that was done, over them was unveiled an open sky, such as they had not been accustomed to. And even the wood from the Deku Tree himself had been used, for they had reasoned that he would rather be honored in building their new life than for his memory of form to sit idle in giving them no aid except as a memory of older times. By time the new village was complete, they were grown to their full stature. As Kokiri, they had changed, for they were adults now with round ears. They called their new village, Ordon, which is to say, 'Overturned' For they said that they had turned over a new leaf in life; wherefore, the Kokiri had become Ordonians. As for Link, he still lived in his quaint and simple tree house as that would remain one place of his memory to be untouched by change which he had seen enough of.

Mido had grown much and though he was the same orange head everyone had known, they were simply stunned as he had become very professional in his conduct of character. As a matter of fact, in the irony of his self proclaimed leadership over all of those years as a Kokiri, he actually became the chosen mayor of Ordon.

Fado was studious and kept up the history of the Kokiri, of Ordon, and of what he learned from the Hero of Time.

Saria, having grown, relinquished her duties as the sage the forest in bequeathing its mantle of responsibility to Phaelon. Link, grown, appeared as he and Saria had both remembered him. But Saria had become fair indeed with her long green hair, and Link was stunned with her beauty. Though she had relinquished her duties as a sage, Link had given to Saria the care of the Kokiri Emerald, and she adorned it in a necklace of silver chain that was fashioned to hold the stone upon her chest. Link called it her third eye as it matched her irises, and moreover, as Saria still attained connection with the forest, the stone enhanced her sight and hearing throughout the forests of Faron. In regard of her house, she had still remained unmoving as she desired to be near Link and she still cared for him upon his dark nights.

Later, a day came that Link took Saria out into Hyrule Field. The open sky didn't startle her that much as she had become accustomed to it over Ordon, but she was utterly enamored over the open field in view of the vast world. Hills rolled along like earth children in play of a game 'now you see me, now you don't', and in parenting overview stood the mighty Death Mountain. The sun's light was brighter than she could anticipate as the land reflected its radiance, and her heart was captured in the beauty of observing the waves of wind licking upon the tall grass.

Then Link played Epona's song, after which, she arrive from Ordon in meeting them. "Why didn't we bring Epona with us earlier when we came out here? Or did you forget?" Saria asked.

And Link grazed his hand over Epona's mane as he answered her with his eyes upon her green irises. "Because this way you'll be able to have the full experience of what it's like to have come out on foot. To know what it's like to take breath in braving this whole new world as a Kokiri as you step out from the old world that you have always known." Saria locked eyes with him then, and all seemed remote as she digested his words in their depth. She smiled then as her mulling thoughts came to a close.

When they mounted, they rode an easy day's ride, and found themselves in the Castle Town's gate just before dusk. Ordinarily, Link would had settled in accommodations of an Inn, but this was no ordinary visit as they were expected guests. Straightway they went before the gate of guard as Link announced themselves as "a boy of the forest" and "the Lady of the Wood" In hearing such titles, Saria's heart fluttered. Eventually, they were led to the garden of the first court, and Mairus, who had aged significantly, escorted them. And he had complemented Saria as the 'Lady of the Wood' would give life and breath to any lands whereupon she might tread, and while she had giggled at first, she gracefully accepted his kind gesture.

In the garden, there stood many roses, violets, and even wild flowers, among which was one that was considered very rare and delicate that none had dared touch it, and it was known as 'the silent princess' There were also many trees including red buds, crape myrtles, and firs, yet there was one oak of great size that stood alone. It seemed small for its age as it was old, for it grew slow in standing witness to time. Here Zelda stood with a blue dress of intricate detail, and with her stood a man of great stature. He stood adorned in noble attire, yet his countenance bore witness to one of ordinary character.

Mairus was relieved to take stand in the garden's entrance as Link and Saria were addressed by the royal maiden and her noble. The moon was out now, and all stood relaxed. For when Saria was at first tense in making entrance within the royal abode and greeting them personally, she was relieved as she came across Zelda's smile. Instead of breaking the ice betwixt new acquaintances, Zelda's smile and warm friendship melted it; wherefore, all in presence were at ease in the progressing associations. Link introduced Saria, the Lady of the Wood, and Zelda introduced Daphnes, lord of Lanayru. Zelda was simply overjoyed to meet Saria and was fascinated to see and hear of the change in overturn of the Kokiri, and Saria was simply filled with many questions. And so Zelda regarded her as a sister. As for Link and Daphnes, they had gotten along well. Daphnes was straightforward in his manner while yet he could be jovial. He had heard of the Hero of legend; wherefore, he was utmost intrigued in meeting him. The man in humbling grace, entreated the hero with honor, and they regarded one another as brothers. After awhile, Saria spoke with Daphness as he was utterly intrigued to learn from her of the Kokiri and knowledge of the wood and flowers as such as he could never learn from not even the archives of the kingdom's library in all that it held. And Saria looked upon the flowers of the garden in fascination, especially as she beheld its 'silent princess'.

Link and Zelda were left to look on from where they were in sit at the garden chairs, and smiled. "So, tomorrow's the big day." He said in rhetorical obviousness.

Zelda nodded as she smiled more, "Yes, ..." She sighed warmly, "And I see that the answer to your complication has been solved."

And the boy of the forest smiled as well with a warm sigh. "Yes."

"You once told me how it did your heart good to know that I would marry well." Zelda started, "Well, I just want say that it does my heart good to see you be able to rest with her."

At that, Link looked up to her as a tear formed in his eye, and he gratefully responded. "Thank you. That means a lot for me." And then he looked to Saria with a smile as he observingly watched her, and when she noticed him, she smiled.

So, as the hour grew late, Link and Saria were escorted each to their quarters as they retired. Upon the next day, they were awakened by an hour master, and they were given gifts of noble attire. As they stepped forth amidst all the bustling of the palace, Saria enquired of it from Link. "Why are things so busy today, and what is the fuss over all of the fancy items and dresses?"

"Because today is a big day." Link expressed, "For today Zelda is marrying Daphnes,"

And he was interrupted as Saria had questioned. "What is marriage?"

That question made Link blush before he could make attempt to respond in answer. "To marry means that a man and a woman join in life and in spirit as they become one life as husband and wife. So, they become one."

And Saria took great thought mulling over the concept, and her mind considered many things. In the end, she blushed as well, "Oh..."

Then Link continued, "But that's not all today, for after that, Nohansen, the king, will coronate Daphnes and Zelda as king and queen of Hyrule in relieving his own mantle from the throne." To which Saria couldn't manage to respond other than with a drop of the mouth as she was simply dumbstruck.

Within the first half of the day, the wedding took place, and the people were all gathered before the castle, within the palace, and within the sanctum. Many guests were present as well as the Zora and the Gorons, all of the sages, and Link and Saria were given attendance in seats of honor before the throne, king, and the wedding itself. Zelda had preferred to honor them in partaking in the wedding, but for them to be given such an honor would had been a thing that the people would not had understood. The regent of Hyrule in close counsel with the king, officiated it. Link simply smiled and was utmost glad in heart as he remembered still what would had been as it was in a 'past' time. Saria looked on in awe as she voiced in whispering thought to herself, "So, this is what a wedding is like."

A reception was given and waited upon all, and over the second half of the day, the coronation took place. Though tedious, it was straightforward, and simple. And both Link and Saria were utterly still as they watched in sober fascination. So, Daphnes and Zelda became king and queen of Hyrule, and when the crowds had enthusiastically cheered jovially in celebration of the wedding, they stood orderly in accord with sobriety and honor for the coronation and shouted in one exclaiming voice. "Long Live the Son of Hyrule and the Daughter of Hylia!!!!!"

The king and queen addressed the people, and then came the event in following wherein it was accustomed for them to announce their first act as king and queen. And thusly, Zelda called forth Link and Saria by name. Both were stunned and surprised as they stood forth and approached their majesties. And as they did so, Zelda announced to the people of the coming of the people of Ordon wherefore these two valuable citizens and friends stand forth in behalf as their people would join the kingdom in allegiance. Saria was officially recognized in title as the "Lady of the Wood" to give account of Faron and its affairs. Then they turned to Link, and Daphnes, while not giving his story away, spoke of him in words of honor and renown. Afterwards, Queen Zelda approached the 'boy of the forest' and she smiled most fervently. So, Link was anointed as "Sir-Link, Knight of Ordon", and all hailed them both, Knight of Ordon and Lady of the Wood, in honor.

After all had taken place in dismissal as all of the people went and celebrated at homes, squares, and markets, Zelda spoke with Link upon a last request. "As I cannot withhold your services Sir-Link and dear Hero, I expect you to live your long earned 'natural life'" Whereupon she smiled as her gaze averted, with Link's gaze following, to Saria.

Wherefore, he turned back to her highness and nodded kindly, "Thank you your majesty."

But she gracefully corrected him, "You of all, unless on duty amidst your peers, do not answer in such title to me. Betwixt you, Daphnes, Saria, and I, I am Zelda." She paused as she gently smiled, and then she bade forth one more request, "While Saria stands Lady of the Wood in voice over Faron, I wish to have one more to voice in representation of Ordon. Please find one of your choosing to fit such a task in serving embassy betwixt our peoples."

And he nodded with a sigh, "I believe I know just who to name, but if you can spare the moment, I can bare word and ask him myself."

Zelda nodded in answer, "Then see it done."

As the day was done, Sir-Link and the Lady of the Wood retired for the night. In waking, Link had found a set of armor that been set for him of golden plated hardened steel with great paldrons and a helm broad. It had great pikes that extruded from its crown and sides, and it gave open view of the face of its wearer. The armor of gold was aligned in red, and its shield bore a symbol in signifying time in vessel. Link would had preferred his green tunic, but in gracious acceptance of the role and the queen's grace, he adorned it upon himself. Indeed, it weighed him down, but he knew that, like anything else, he will eventually 'get a feel for it'.

And as for Saria, she was given a variety of dresses of fine linen made by the royal weavers, and in personal gift from the queen, she received an emerald circlet in crowning of her brow. Today, in attire, she wore a green dress of golden lining. Eventually, they came out in greeting one another, yet they both stopped abruptly as they took in the sight of each other. "Well, dear hero, aren't you my knight in shining armor." Saria said in a giggle.

And Link smirked before he complimented her, "Your brightness is befitting that of a rare and precious gem, even more than the Kokiri Emerald you bear dear Lady of the Wood." And so they both smiled and laughed.

After bidding farewell with their majesties, they set out. With his armor, they were too heavy for Epona for both to ride, so Link walked Epona with Saria in mount, and he took her to Lon Lon Ranch to purchase a steed to suit her. And upon entrance, Link made his way to the corral. He was surprised to see several lads about the place in attendance of various chores and tasks. One approached him, "And what business would you have sir, and may I tell the ranch mistress who is calling?"

Link looked at him with a raised brow, "You're new here aren't you?"

And the boy nodded, "Fairly new, I'm a ranch hand."

Then Link acknowledged him with a smile, "Ok, well, please inform her mistress that Sir-Link of Ordon and the Lady of the Wood have come to purchase a gelding."

The boy acknowledged him with a smile, "Yes Sir." And then he made off into the house. In following, a tall girl came out wearing a white shirt and and a brown skirt with a yellow neckerchief about her collar, and her hair was long down her back in a sheen of red.

"Greetings, my lord and lady," She started in greeting them, but in close view of Link, she abruptly paused with a twitch, "Fairyboy?"

And Link grunted in acknowledgment, "Hello Malon"

"So you're a knight now?" She asked.

And he simply answered, "Yeah..."

"Well, it's different, but it's nice to see you all the same." Malon noted, and then she turned to Saria; whereas, Link introduced them.

"This is Saria, the Lady of the Wood."

And Malon curtsied to her in reverence. "I am pleased to make your acquaintance Lady Saria."

"I am very glad to meet you Malon." The green head replied in a warm smile.

"So," Malon started with Link, "when did you move to Ordon? What happened to the Kokiri?"

Link scratched his head, "Well ... For an unknown reason, the Kokiri have grown as they have become Ordonians." He paused as he gestured to Saria, "Saria, here, is a former Kokiri." But Malon had question written in her face, and in seeing her doubts, Saria called her little companion. Falith came out from her collar, the first time anyone had seen her since they had left Ordon.

"A fairy." Malon acknowledged, and Falith answered in her sarcastic fairy nature,

"I'm not exactly a bumble bee." And they all laughed.

Then Link enquired, "Where is Talon?"

To which Malon simply answered, "He's making trades in Kakariko."

Link nodded and commented on her hired help. "I've noticed your new ranch hands."

He smiled, and Malon replied, "Yes. As business and responsibilities expanded, we needed the help. ... Ingo took them in his management. He seems to have improved in character, for while he's continuously frustrated with them, he's taken quite a liking to them." And then she gestured to the far end of the corral where a few lads were mending a fence under Ingo's supervision. Link smirked in seeing how the man was fussing with the lads and yet was obviously proud of them at the same time.

"So," Malon started, "What sort of gelding are you looking for?"

Then Link responded in gesture to the green lady, "We need a steed for Saria who has little experience while yet I anticipate her experience to grow. A gelding, preferably, young but green, and easy broke while still abiding a life of spirit." The ranch mistress nodded and beckoned them to follow as she led them into the barn. To the left were stalls and assortments for cows and items of dairy. Then to the right was set a great many stalls of stallions, geldings, and mares of various breeds.

Eventually, she led them to a sorrel gelding with a dark mane. "This one is raised in high stock from a pair of Gerudo stallion and mare as they are some of the most fine horses of the land. Epona was raised a Gerudo mare. Gelva, here, is our prize of the time."

Link mulled in thought of him as he observed, "Are you sure he will suit?"

And Malon responded in nod, "I think so. ... I'll give you a moment as you look him over and think about it." And she left out the door.

Link gestured Saria over to see how she fared with him, and she took to him well as she nuzzled him and caressed his mane. While rubbing the gelding, Saria enquired of Link, "So, you're 'fairyboy'?"

At that, Link grunted, "I met Malon as a kid when I first came to Castle Town. She can occasionally be attentive to one's affairs and be quite insistent. She seemed fascinated that day we met that I came from the forest of the Kokiri and had a fairy. She refused to use my name as she insisted on calling me 'fairyboy' She can be pushy and blunt, but all in all, she's a good friend."

Saria nodded with a smile, "Makes quite a character."

He nodded, "Yea. ... So, what do you think of Gelva here?"

And then her eyes glowed, "I like him fine."

Link acknowledged, "Alright, we'll get you on her and see how you do."

About that time, Malon returned, and Link requested for Saria to try him out in lesson. "Ok...Come on fairygirl and let's get you mounted up." Saria smirked and smiled.

Afterwards, Malon saddled Gelva up for her ladyship and introduced Saria to the merits of riding. It wasn't a smooth start, but Saria learned quickly enough and loved Gelva dearly as she managed to handle him. Then after making the deal, Malon enquired of the trade of Ordon, for they had begun to harvest great crops of pumpkins, barley, carrots, and melons. To their invite and her interest, Malon joined them in coming to Ordon as she brought a cart.

Malon was fascinated with Ordon's simplicity and beauty as she visited. And after conversing with the locals and purchasing some crops, Malon enquired after contracting a steady trade of milk and mules for crops between the village and Lon Lon. So, Link introduced Malon to Mido, their mayor.

Matters were straightforward and simple, but Link noticed that for the first time in his life, the orange head was very humble and quiet for the most part, and was there a blush? And as for Malon, she also had gotten quieter than her usual self in her nature of business and pushing a ranch. She was far less pushy in this moment to say the least, and Link couldn't help but be intrigued to see that they both carried such an impression on each other. In observing the interaction betwixt the orange head and the red head, Link was dumbfounded as he never would had believed that such a match was possible. When she took her leave, Mido bade her a kind farewell, "I hope we'll be seeing you in Ordon again." And Malon, who had never blushed, did; wherefore, Link whispered to himself in response to Mido's statement.

"Oh, I believe you will Mido." Then Link smirked.

Later, Link spoke with Fado of the queen's request for attendance in voice of Ordon. Fado accepted it graciously and he came to bear embassy between the Ordonians and Hylians. And in following, he officially became Link's apprentice in the techniques of warfare as well as they became close friends. So close that Fado was like a brother to the Hero. Then Link gave him his guilded sword and mirror shield while he, himself, bore his armor, shield, and a broadsword of unique design.

Thus the life of the Kokiri had overturned in Ordon. And Link and Saria lived on in anticipation of a 'natural life'

How do you rate this chapter?
Results are only viewable after voting. You must be logged in to vote.
1